Offensive Player of the Week / #10 Russell Wilson

mikeak

Reaction score
Correct

Again though. Not a good game but good player. And that it wasn’t a great game is agreed upon by Russell Wilson but not Massari. Guess who I will listen too.....

“it happened to be Russ fell into a couple, missed a couple of shots, missed a couple third down thoughts that we had that could have been better. He said it too. He could have played better.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 85483/Amp/

massari

Reaction score
mikeak":q0886zjf said:
Correct

Again though. Not a good game but good player. And that it wasn’t a great game is agreed upon by Russell Wilson but not Massari. Guess who I will listen too.....

“it happened to be Russ fell into a couple, missed a couple of shots, missed a couple third down thoughts that we had that could have been better. He said it too. He could have played better.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports. ... 85483/Amp/

massari":q0886zjf said:
David Carr, former NFL QB disagrees with you. Wilson played against a top D on the road putting up 19/32 298 yards with 3 TD's 1 INT. Can you can explain how the 6 sacks and fumble (the one where he got flatlined by Miller mid throw) were his fault? Or the poor 3rd down efficiency? People keep bringing it up without explanation.

Yes, the fumble from the snap in the final minute was bad. Pretty sure the INT was his fault, but nobody's saying he had a perfect game.
What part of this post implies with confidence that he had a "great game"? It's asking QUESTIONS of why you and others consider it a "bad game" when he posted those stats on the road against one of the best D. You answered by providing references to Carroll and the blogger, which I appreciated since they answered some of those questions.

Still can't justify calling it a "bad" game when the guy posts these stats minus the hail mary:

19/32
298 yards
3 TD's
1 INT
108.6 passer rating

adeltaY

Reaction score
1. We don't know if Denver is one of the best defenses - they were uneven last year and had some games like this one and others were they were absolutely shredded. I think they'll be fringe top 10 if things break right, their ceiling is top 5, but that's unlikely IMO.

2. Raw passing stats are some of the least informative, especially when looking at one game. Over a season or a career, they're more useful, but they don't tell the story of one game. The three INTs the D got really saved our asses on offense. We were 30th in yards per drive and 31st in drive success rate, which relates to the 2/12 on third down.

3. The film shows us that RW was responsible for at least 3 of those sacks and he missed the throw on 3rd and inches too. You don't have such an inefficient offense without the QB struggling to some degree. Protection was bad overall, but it was not bad every snap.

4. I don't think he had a "bad game," I just think he struggled and just came up short of winning. The bungling of the final drive was pretty emblematic of that. 1 minute left with no timeouts - if he got us to about the DEN 30 and Seabass missed the FG, I would say Russ did his job. Unfortunately the fumbled snap and false start killed us.

I blame PCJS for the fact that Wilson has to play at a top tier level every week for us to win, but unfortunately that's where we are and he legitimately has to be one of the best QBs every single week to give us a chance at the playoffs.

Fade

Reaction score
adeltaY":24qe4jb2 said:
1. We don't know if Denver is one of the best defenses - they were uneven last year and had some games like this one and others were they were absolutely shredded. I think they'll be fringe top 10 if things break right, their ceiling is top 5, but that's unlikely IMO.

2. Raw passing stats are some of the least informative, especially when looking at one game. Over a season or a career, they're more useful, but they don't tell the story of one game. The three INTs the D got really saved our asses on offense. We were 30th in yards per drive and 31st in drive success rate, which relates to the 2/12 on third down.

3. The film shows us that RW was responsible for at least 3 of those sacks and he missed the throw on 3rd and inches too. You don't have such an inefficient offense without the QB struggling to some degree. Protection was bad overall, but it was not bad every snap.

4. I don't think he had a "bad game," I just think he struggled and just came up short of winning. The bungling of the final drive was pretty emblematic of that. 1 minute left with no timeouts - if he got us to about the DEN 30 and Seabass missed the FG, I would say Russ did his job. Unfortunately the fumbled snap and false start killed us.

I blame PCJS for the fact that Wilson has to play at a top tier level every week for us to win, but unfortunately that's where we are and he legitimately has to be one of the best QBs every single week to give us a chance at the playoffs.

adeltaY":24qe4jb2 said:
You make some good points, Fade, but this is Wilson's team now. PCJS failed to surround him with offensive talent - that I strongly agree with - but he still played really poorly. Spinning around and getting sacked twice by Von Miller just doesn't cut it. Flashbacks to when DLaw did the same to him last year.

Fade":24qe4jb2 said:
3 TDS, 300 yards is rather poorly??

He didn't play amazing, he didn't play poorly. There is a middle ground guys, he played okay. Not well enough to carry the clown car show though.

I am confused? Which is it? Really poorly, or didn't play a bad game?
Wp content2Fuploads2F20102F082Fcontradiction 1

adeltaY

Reaction score
Yeah I'll revise they opinion after looking at the film and reading some articles. He had some very poor plays, but overall played okay. Not good enough to win though.

mikeak

Reaction score
Let me clarify my standpoint regardless of stats

For being an ELITE QB he had a poor game IMHO

If this was a middle of the pack QB then sure let’s go with not good game

And for bottom third q.b. it would have been a not great game

When I say that the new Bond movie is good then it is from the perspective of it being a Bond movie not comparing it to the Oscar calibrer movies.....

semiahmoo

Reaction score
adeltaY":2ag6gew8 said:
Yeah I'll revise they opinion after looking at the film and reading some articles. He had some very poor plays, but overall played okay. Not good enough to win though.

Unfortunately that's been his MO for a while now.

Makes all that $$$$ he's being paid seem, well, not really worth it...

Fade

Reaction score
Russell Wilson will have the best statistical season of his career this year, minus his #1 target. The Defense will be bad so the team will probably only go 8-8 this year.

And you guys will still find a way to put the blame on Wilson because he couldn't achieve the impossible and carry this team kicking and screaming to a Superbowl.

Brees couldn't do it, Rodgers couldn't do it, & Brady couldn't do it (without Belichick). So under your definition of elite, no one is elite.

I need you guys who are some how underwhelmed by Wilson to keep that same energy for Pete Carroll who is largely responsible for this mess.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
VERY good points. People expect the impossible from Russ. More scrutiny than almost any Seattle Pro Athlete.

OP
OP
Seymour

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":1vxa6ecr said:
Russell Wilson will have the best statistical season of his career this year, minus his #1 target. The Defense will be bad so the team will probably only go 8-8 this year.

And you guys will still find a way to put the blame on Wilson because he couldn't achieve the impossible and carry this team kicking and screaming to a Superbowl.

Brees couldn't do it, Rodgers couldn't do it, & Brady couldn't do it (without Belichick). So under your definition of elite, no one is elite.

I need you guys who are some how underwhelmed by Wilson to keep that same energy for Pete Carroll who is largely responsible for this mess.

As do I.

2029147 1

adeltaY

Reaction score
Fade":c6gl7866 said:

I mean I said above the fault lies mainly with PCJS for failing to surround Wilson with enough talent. Wilson is still making mistakes he shouldn't, but the scrutiny wouldn't be on him if the team could compensate in other ways, which it cannot because their drafts and FA signings have been subpar overall the past few seasons. Wilson is the only star player we have available on offense for this week's game now that Doug is out for a while. Not a good situation.

I'll say again, it's funny how Pete allegedly protected Wilson from criticism off the field, because he hasn't done much to protect him on the field.

acer1240

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":15etm1cn said:
VERY good points. People expect the impossible from Russ. More scrutiny than almost any Seattle Pro Athlete.

I love that he is the quarterback of this team and we've never had better.

I don't want or expect the impossible from the guy. I just want him to throw the damn ball away every once in awhile.
I want him to throw blitz beaters more often.
I want him to take off and run when lanes are there.

I'm not hating on him at all and do not discount that it could all be on the coaching staff