official crow eating

HawkWow

Reaction score
I felt he was too rah rah rah for an NFL team. Didn't know we'd surround him with 22 yr olds. lol. But Sark picked me up and got me to .500. Couldn't have been more right about him. Now? Damn. There's not a coach in the league I'd take over Pete. As good as we feel...imagine how Pete feels.

OP
OP
hawksincebirth

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
chris98251":h5pc71f0 said:
Well it's nice to eventually come around to seeing and believing in what is going on here in Seattle, but 5 years is a long time, that Crow should be as old and freezer burned also, much easier to say your in after someone won something then to see what's happening and get in before.
i've been pretty high on pete for awhile now. i was actually ok with the hire itself. i have said this to my buddies for some time now, just not here on .net

Steve2222

Reaction score
HansGruber":1imqgjr1 said:
Steve2222":1imqgjr1 said:
I really never understood why people didn't like the hire. He was a decent coach in NE and led a dynasty in the college ranks. I thought it was a slam dunk hire at the time.
Dennis Erickson comes to mind

For all practical purposes, Dennis Erickson was/is a good coach. At least we had mediocre teams with him. Hell in 98 who knows where this franchise would currently be if the refs made the right call on the Testaverde Phantom TD.

Rainger

Reaction score
I loved the hire from DAY 1

I actually still have a recording of my fight with Mike Salk on 710 who was calling Pete down constantly and saying what a bad hire it was. He also was all against Pete having a say on the hiring of JS. He wanted the GM to control Pete and was sooo against the structure.

Since he has come back (Salk) I sometime listen to my radio on line call with 710 and Salk just to remind me how wrong he was and how he continued to bash Pete. Revenge is soooo sweet.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
No crow here.

I was in the minority who said Mora deserved to be fired after one year. I know that teams with a coaching carousel usually stay at the bottom of their division but so do teams that stick with the wrong coach.

I wanted ruskell and mora to be fired and they were.

HOWEVER...I would not have bet any money that we would win a Super Bowl within 5 years. I was high on Carroll and Schneider but overall they have far surpassed my expectations.

sc85sis

Reaction score
taco40":2f49w9u4 said:
hawknation2014":2f49w9u4 said:
Carroll won two championships at SC and went 108 games (eight years) without losing a game by more than seven points. I don't feel sorry for you for not knowing he was a great coach.

Not sure I understand the part about "without losing by more than 7". I was at the Oct. 31, 2007 when Oregon beat Pete's USC team 47-20 (and it wasn't even that close). Were you speaking of post-season games?
:les:
The final score in 2007 was Oregon 24, USC 17. That was the year Sanchez started three games after John David Booty broke a finger on his throwing hand.

The score you mention was from the 2009 game.

HawkWow

Reaction score
drdiags":500ficaz said:
Wasn't impressed with the new unis when they first came out. BFS and crew loved them, I was kind of blah. Those blue unis with the trimming really pop now on the screen to me. Also love the grey unis. Even the road whites.

That is the last time I will mention unis ever (or at least for awhile).

Hard to beat that uni in your avatar. Have we worn them even once since? Not to my recollection, we haven't. .

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My crow has to be divided into two categories:

Things I truly believed and called for, where I was dead wrong...

&

Things I didn't believe but called for because against all reason, I was ridiculously superstitious w/regard to the Hawks and that was one of the things that was part of the ritual. Sorry if that annoyed everyone, but on the other hand it did work (also I wasted all that beer last year because in those Costco beer packs I refused to drink any of them but caps with blues and bright greens on any weekend of a Seahawk game. The ones with the olive green and browns were always tossed. My garbagemen must have wondered why I kept tossing sealed bottles every week...)

So on the things I was dead wrong on:

I thought Mora could be a good coach but just needed more time to find his footing.

I thought that Pete was a coach that got by on motivation but was not really a great strategy or tactics guy. It felt like he was great at getting the best talent and then letting them beat everyone. Of course, this was the same thing they said about how Miami won during their days and Jimmy Johnson was still an incredible coach in the NFL - so I should have known better.

I thought that getting a new DC was going to give us a learning curve, because usually there is one. The team defense stayed solid all year.

I felt that starting a rookie in Wilson was crazy, given how great our defense potentially was. It would have just squandered some incredible defensive talent that was good enough to make noise in the playoffs.

Our offensive coordinator. I felt his playcalling was stifling. But not only did he get us through the playoffs and to a SB win...I notice that Wilson also has a per pass average above the mean. So maybe not as conservative as I thought.

Also, it looked like we weren't in sync after the Carolina game, I admit to being a little less than impressed during that Colts, Titans, Bucs (in no particular order) period.

So yeah, I have to change my name to IWasAMoron. If anyone has any idea how to change your name on here - please let me know.

The Harvin hate wasn't real - that was superstition. But the other stuff above? Doubting Pete AND Wilson? Probably as close to a Cardinal sin for a Hawk fan as you can get.

Vetamur

Reaction score
I was write about:

Mora. hated him from the beginning. felt I knew the type..and week 3? 4? when he threw the kicker under the bus I wrote a long post about it here. oddly given how people changed later, i was attacked for my post. lol.

I was wrong about: I didnt hate but didnt love the Carroll signing. I think its a rare percentage of coaches who have the right systems that can win the Super Bowl and I didnt think Carroll had it. I was intriqued a year later when I saw their version of "Moneyball" seeming to take shape.

Wilson. I wanted him to sit a year. I wanted Flynn. There. I said it.

Josh Portis. I thought he would continue the Seahawk tradition of starting free agent QBs (Zorn, Krieg). Really liked him his first training camp.

Lynch. Hated the trade that brought him here.

So... yea.. I have no idea what Im talking about apparently. Anyone want any fantasy football advice?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Vetamur":32kaac96 said:
I was write about:

Mora. hated him from the beginning. felt I knew the type..and week 3? 4? when he threw the kicker under the bus I wrote a long post about it here. oddly given how people changed later, i was attacked for my post. lol.

I was wrong about: I didnt hate but didnt love the Carroll signing. I think its a rare percentage of coaches who have the right systems that can win the Super Bowl and I didnt think Carroll had it. I was intriqued a year later when I saw their version of "Moneyball" seeming to take shape.

Wilson. I wanted him to sit a year. I wanted Flynn. There. I said it.

Josh Portis. I thought he would continue the Seahawk tradition of starting free agent QBs (Zorn, Krieg). Really liked him his first training camp.

Lynch. Hated the trade that brought him here.

So... yea.. I have no idea what Im talking about apparently. Anyone want any fantasy football advice?
The guy leading the charge often takes the most bullets. It took til about week 16 before I knew Mora could lose a locker room so completely that he was toast.

I think a huge part of the ambivilence or even venom about Pete came from Field Gulls and John Morgan. He berated every personnel move, he clung to players like Josh Wilson and Daryll Tapp, and his acolytes were insufferable. He had many convinced Pete was going to draft USC north.

If I had to pinpoint one thing I missed with Pete, I should have examined his time as a secondary coach for the Niners and Vikings. Because of the cover 2 personnel Pete began with, his cover 1 and cover 3 secondary was not highly visible that first year, and took me a while to understand it.

I couldn't stand Flynn, and was stunned we signed him. His gaudy numbers from 2 games were a mask, you could see he was not a play action QB by looking at each snap, even the touchdowns, independently.

I love how committed they are to the model for the future, the moneyball approach. When we miss out on a free agent because the model comes first, like Jared Allen, I am so relieved.

I loved the Lynch deal, but it was more becasue of who we had at RB than some prescient view of Lynch. Julius Jones was awful.

uncle fester

Reaction score
As I don't follow college football at all, I didn't know who Pete was.

I was, however, delighted that Mora was binned. A Falcons-fan friend of mine rang me when Mora was hired and laughed down the phone predicting imminent doom. I should've listened. Those last (four?) games where it seemed everyone gave up were a flashback (to me) of the '90s directionless farce. All credit to Paul Allen for pulling the plug on the whole episode as quickly as he did.

On a crow-eating note, I hated the new uniforms. Now I own two home jerseys and wouldn't sell them for any money. Still kicking myself about not getting a white jersey from Macys the day before XLVIII.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What I recall most is all the fun that we poked at all the Pumped and Jacked comments.

It was all in good fun but there certainly was more than a seed of doubt that Pete and John would succeed in the NFL. Most of us were skeptical to some degree.

Pete has proved many of us wrong... his system works... now... and looks like it will sustain this team and its fan base for years to come.

I couldn't be more thrilled.

Holmgren got us to the point of sniffing a Championship... Pete and John have us seated at the head table enjoying the sights, the sounds and the bountiful food.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
taco40":2cby27ju said:
hawknation2014":2cby27ju said:
Carroll won two championships at SC and went 108 games (eight years) without losing a game by more than seven points. I don't feel sorry for you for not knowing he was a great coach.

Not sure I understand the part about "without losing by more than 7". I was at the Oct. 31, 2007 when Oregon beat Pete's USC team 47-20 (and it wasn't even that close). Were you speaking of post-season games?

If you were there, you would know that happened in 2009:

http://cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_ia ... esults.php

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
I was thrilled that Mora and Ruskell were out. I was optimistic about Carroll, but in the back of my mind a little voice kept saying "Dennis Erickson."

It didn't take long to figure out that this would not be drunk Dennis part two.

Seahawk772002

Reaction score
Steve2222 wrote:I really never understood why people didn't like the hire. He was a decent coach in NE and led a dynasty in the college ranks. I thought it was a slam dunk hire at the time.

HANS GRUBER - Dennis Erickson comes to mind

When PC was hired my thoughts were "Dennis Erickson on steroids"

Am will to admit how wrong I was; am a member of the crow eating club.

kearly

Reaction score
I was not a fan of the Tapp, Wilson, and Sims trades. If only I could have known that those trades would bring us Chris Clemons, Richard Sherman, and Kam Chancellor.

That said, I still wish we could have gotten that Chancellor pick while holding onto Sims somehow. He was a good LG, especially in pass pro, and his replacements have been mostly terrible.

skater18000

Reaction score
What about Marshawn? How many of you knew he would be what he became?

HansGruber

Reaction score
kearly":q0vuw2c1 said:
I was not a fan of the Tapp, Wilson, and Sims trades. If only I could have known that those trades would bring us Chris Clemons, Richard Sherman, and Kam Chancellor.

That said, I still wish we could have gotten that Chancellor pick while holding onto Sims somehow. He was a good LG, especially in pass pro, and his replacements have been mostly terrible.

Damn. Having that pointed out again, it's just incredible what Pete and John have done with this team. Really truly incredible. I don't know how anyone can argue anything OTHER than Pete and John being one of the best GM-Coach combos in the history of the game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":2tkzrclt said:
What I recall most is all the fun that we poked at all the Pumped and Jacked comments.

It was all in good fun but there certainly was more than a seed of doubt that Pete and John would succeed in the NFL. Most of us were skeptical to some degree.

Pete has proved many of us wrong... his system works... now... and looks like it will sustain this team and its fan base for years to come.

I couldn't be more thrilled.

Holmgren got us to the point of sniffing a Championship... Pete and John have us seated at the head table enjoying the sights, the sounds and the bountiful food.

I remember a lot of talk about drinking the Kool aid. That term got bandied about quite frequently.