official crow eating

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1mu6a4k5 said:
I was thrilled that Mora and Ruskell were out. I was optimistic about Carroll, but in the back of my mind a little voice kept saying "Dennis Erickson."

It didn't take long to figure out that this would not be drunk Dennis part two.
I had the same analogy of Carroll, with none of the optimism. The term 'players coach' was like the sounding of a death nell for any NFL HC, IMO.
Then came the super-atypical press conferences where his responses sounded like corporate board room cliche-like statements...more like slogans than actual football talk. I really didn't think he would last long... especially when he sounded determined to run a pro team exactly as he did in college.

Lawdy, I couldn't have been more wrong! Not only has he succeded in emphatic fashion, but he has turned the league on it's head as they play catch up and try to leave old paradigms by the way side.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I was at a Jose Cuervo bar at the airport in STL when the announcement that Carroll was rumored to be in talks with the Hawks broke. This was after hearing the STL radio guys (while driving in to the airport) laughing at the Hawks for firing Jim Mora (which I was thrilled about) I was drunk and happy as I could be, ordered another double of 1800 with a beer chaser.

I was furious at Mora for bringing in that idiot Knapp, so for the team to end him and Knapp, saving us from years of turmoil, I was elated.

Then in week 1, when the Hawks became the Hitter instead of the Hit against SF, I bought in fully.

kearly

Reaction score
skater18000":1ll07msl said:
What about Marshawn? How many of you knew he would be what he became?

I remember the reaction to that trade being extremely positive. Even the biggest critics of PC/JS said that trade was a home run. We bought low on one of the most purely talented RBs in the league.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I remember being concerned about Lynch because of the coverage he had in Buffalo. Instead, when KJR Mitch had him on for an interview I was pleased.

I was never worried about his performance and couldn't believe Buffalo traded him for what they did. It was a monster trade for the Hawks. He was 24 then, fresh and frankly hasn't lost a step.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
I'm normally pretty careful with getting too far out on any one ledge or bandwagon, because you really never know. THAT SAID...

The one thing I was pretty dead wrong on was making way too big a deal about getting rid of Matt Hasselbeck, Lofa Tatupu, and Lawyer Milloy all at once. I thought it was too much veteran leadership to ditch and that there weren't young guys ready to step up. In retrospect, that couldn't have been farther from the truth. The leadership vacuum created a scenario where young guys were forced to step up. It led to a season or so of growing pains. But it also helped set up the scenario where those guys were now ready to take advantage when the time presented itself last year. If I was in charge, I'd have kept a hold of all of those guys at least 1 year too long. And my rebuild would've suffered due to that. Yet another reason why it's a good thing us fans aren't in charge.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I've never been wrong about a single Seahawk ever.

:lol:

:sarcasm_on:

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
kearly":1f96ckj8 said:
skater18000":1f96ckj8 said:
What about Marshawn? How many of you knew he would be what he became?

I remember the reaction to that trade being extremely positive. Even the biggest critics of PC/JS said that trade was a home run. We bought low on one of the most purely talented RBs in the league.

My friend, who is a Packers fan, was furious when it happened. Seattle won that trade, and everyone knew it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3g1k2xhh said:
My friend, who is a Packers fan, was furious when it happened. Seattle won that trade, and everyone knew it.
Yep, a lot of Packers fans wanted Lynch. What's funny is they whined really hard about it after the Beastquake game, hahaha.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Long time posters here like DrDiags will vouch that I was one of the earliest and most vocal critics of Ruskell and took a LOT of heat for it. I didn't want to be correct, because it meant a decline of the Seahawks. But it did eventually bring us Pete and John so in the end, it worked out quite well I think.

drdiags

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":nh0qliqg said:
Long time posters here like DrDiags will vouch that I was one of the earliest and most vocal critics of Ruskell and took a LOT of heat for it. I didn't want to be correct, because it meant a decline of the Seahawks. But it did eventually bring us Pete and John so in the end, it worked out quite well I think.

Yep, Jammer tried to help but there was a lot of grief given to you. Glad you stuck it out. I remember Puntaphile, he was ruthless on poor Ruskell but he came a little after the initial realization that Ruskell was not getting the job done. You would hammer the Hutch loss and overall OL despair a lot longer than I remember for most.

I was in denial and didn't want to be constantly reminded, that is where we had a brief disagreement. But we were able to move on. All good stuff in my eyes. And we got to witness a Superbowl victory!!

WooHoo!! "These haters can't hold me back, these haters can't hold me back ...." . Life is good.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I always thought that Carroll's previous "failure" as an NFL coach (33-31 with two playoff appearances) was way overblown by his critics. I was willing to give him a chance based on his previous success at USC so no crow eating here. I figured the team had nowhere to go but up anyway after the 2009 season and was just happy to see Mora and Ruskell gone.

I will say that I was starting to have doubts after the team started out 2-6 in Carroll's second year. I was at the midseason game in Arlington where the Cowboys beat the Hawks 23-13 and I remember feeling a little depressed afterwards about the team's continuing mediocrity. Little did I know that this game would be the last one they would lose by more than a touchdown and they would win 33 of their next 45 games and the Super Bowl. When his young team finally started gelling and playing the style of football that Pete Carroll envisioned when he first came to Seattle, the Seahawks went to the top of the NFL like a rocket.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
When he was hired I thought it was the best move the team could make....great hire! I remember a lot of HATERs on the radio calling in. I think a lot of it had to do he was from USC and not the actual person.

OP
OP
hawksincebirth

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3u0vp8op said:
Why? Just why?
Just going through old posts. I was kidding with tech obviously. Didn't realize the thread would pop back up on the front page. Lesson learned