OFFICIAL GAMEDAY COUNTDOWN!

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Now we're 77 days from real Seahawks football.
The difference of time zone allows me to be the one who opens panel #77 on our Seahawks Advent calendar.

Seahawks uniform number 77 is one of the very few non-retired numbers not in use right now.
It's a number that's been reasonably good for the Seahawks. Recent players that have used it include Ahtyba Rubin and the underrated Ethan Pocic. QJeff had it last season in his return to the Seahawks. Carpenter had it back in 2012-2014.

Those who know my posts won't be at all surprised that I'm goin' old-school on this one and putting up a picture of Jeff Bryant, who had the number from '82 through '93. It's not just my fondness for the Seahawks teams of the '80s and late '70s, though. Bryant is almost certainly the player who did the most with that uniform number for the Seahawks.
I think of Bryant as the "other" starting DE for the Seahawks opposite one of my all-time favorite Seahawks, Jacob Green (whom I discussed at length two days ago), but by the numbers, Bryant outperformed Green in the two games in which I saw them live. Bryant had two and a half sacks in the first Seahawks game I attended live, the game in Foxborough in 1984, and two in my second in-person Seahawks game, also in Foxborough two years later.

While searching for images of Bryant, I found a spectacular pic - the starting DEs and NT from the Chuck Knox Seahawks' DL in both of the Seahawks games I attended in Foxborough - Green, Bryant, and NT Joe Nash - from when they raised the 12 flag together in week 3 of the 2019 season. I'll have reasons to show it again in five days (72 is gonna be an interesting number!), but I'll put it here as a non-gameday Sunday bonus for .NET because I'm afraid I'll forget in five days.
Yow! What a pic!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Now we're 77 days from real Seahawks football.
The difference of time zone allows me to be the one who opens panel #77 on our Seahawks Advent calendar.

Seahawks uniform number 77 is one of the very few non-retired numbers not in use right now.
It's a number that's been reasonably good for the Seahawks. Recent players that have used it include Ahtyba Rubin and the underrated Ethan Pocic. QJeff had it last season in his return to the Seahawks. Carpenter had it back in 2012-2014.

Those who know my posts won't be at all surprised that I'm goin' old-school on this one and putting up a picture of Jeff Bryant, who had the number from '82 through '93. It's not just my fondness for the Seahawks teams of the '80s and late '70s, though. Bryant is almost certainly the player who did the most with that uniform number for the Seahawks.
I think of Bryant as the "other" starting DE for the Seahawks opposite one of my all-time favorite Seahawks, Jacob Green (whom I discussed at length two days ago), but by the numbers, Bryant outperformed Green in the two games in which I saw them live. Bryant had two and a half sacks in the first Seahawks game I attended live, the game in Foxborough in 1984, and two in my second in-person Seahawks game, also in Foxborough two years later.
View attachment 59562

While searching for images of Bryant, I found a spectacular pic - the starting DEs and NT from the Chuck Knox Seahawks' DL in both of the Seahawks games I attended in Foxborough - Green, Bryant, and NT Joe Nash - from when they raised the 12 flag together in week 3 of the 2019 season. I'll have reasons to show it again in five days (72 is gonna be an interesting number!), but I'll put it here as a non-gameday Sunday bonus for .NET because I'm afraid I'll forget in five days.
View attachment 59563
Yow! What a pic!
The best two DEs combo in Seahawks history that played together.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Bitter sweet for sure.

“Hutch”

The video is full of Seahawk Royalty, Definitely worth the couple minutes of your time.

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1473.png
    IMG_1473.png
    244.5 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Howard Ballard

Played in 4 Super Bowl with the Bills, then played the next four years as a Seahawk

Attachments

• IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
#73 is another one that we haven’t gotten a ton of production out of.

I came up with Ray Roberts 92-95

Apparently he has a Podcast that focuses on mental health and wellness.

Attachments

• IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1497.png
    IMG_1497.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 2

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure how we got all over the place, lol...But I think today is Day 74 to game one...

Not a lot to choose from outside of Manu, so...

George Fant

Web1 M1 170611 EDH Seahawks

NoGain

Reaction score
No rush to get to the football season for me. That would mean I wanted summer to fly by in the PNW which I certainly don't. The football season for me is a consolation for when summer is sadly ending.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Roberts is probably the one who did the most with Seahawks uniform number 73, but I'm gonna go with another #73 for a specific reason I'll explain below.

Norm Evans played RT for the Seahawks in 1976-77 and T in '78 (but he only started two games that season, which was his last in the NFL). He was a captain all three seasons.

Before being taken by the Seahawks in the expansion draft and spending the final three seasons of his career with them, Evans played for the Oilers in 1965 and for the Dolphins in '66-'75. He made the Pro Bowl as the Dolphins' RT twice: as part of the only undefeated team (including the playoffs and Super Bowl) in NFL history in the 1972 season and then once again for the '74 season.

He's the guy I want to mention today because of the way he ended up affecting my life.

I grew up in Maine, and I was the only Seahawks fan I knew. My dad had a subscription to Football Digest, and in the back of some issues (not sure if it was all of them, but it was more than one), there were mailing addresses for all the NFL teams at the time. I used those addresses to write to players (c/o their respective teams) and ask for autographs. Several Steelers and Seahawks not only replied, but actually sent me autographed pictures. I've posted the one I got from Zorn, which is still in the same frame I bought for it with allowance money back in the late '70s.

My parents used the Seahawks address we found in Football Digest to write to the Seahawks to ask if there was some kind of Seahawks-centric magazine or newspaper or something to which they could subscribe for me. The team replied and recommended Evans's Seahawk Report newspaper, so my parents got me a subscription to that. Because my friends knew less about the Seahawks than I did and the media (newspapers, magazines, radio, TV) available to me in Maine tended to ignore the Seahawks, having a whole Seahawks-based newspaper was beyond great for me. So thanks, Mr. Evans.

Here's a pic of Evans raising the 12 flag in a current-colors Seahawks #73 jersey:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Man we would have been serious pen pals back then lol! I feel almost guilty admitting my childhood home was within 20 miles of the Kingdome. Before the Seahawks existed I was a Vikings fan because I always loved the color purple (There's a line in the movie Color Purple; “I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it.”) and their cool logo reminded me of the Nike swish logo.

One day I was perusing the JC Penny (or Sears?) catalog and I came across a page showing all the NFL helmets and there was this new expansion team called the Seattle Seahawks and HOLY CRAP NOT ONLY IS THAT MY HOMETOWN TEAM BUT THEIR LOGO AND COLORS ARE AMAZING!!!

I must have begged my mom and dad to buy me the helmet and anything and everything Seahawks related.

A diehard was born.

I would have never, ever in a trillion years guessed there were Seahawks fans like me living in Maine. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Man we would have been serious pen pals back then lol! I feel almost guilty admitting my childhood home was within 20 miles of the Kingdome. Before the Seahawks existed I was a Vikings fan because I always loved the color purple (There's a line in the movie Color Purple; “I think it pisses God off when you walk by the color purple in a field and don't notice it.”) and their cool logo reminded me of the Nike swish logo.

One day I was perusing the JC Penny (or Sears?) catalog and I came across a page showing all the NFL helmets and there was this new expansion team called the Seattle Seahawks and HOLY CRAP NOT ONLY IS THAT MY HOMETOWN TEAM BUT THEIR LOGO AND COLORS ARE AMAZING!!!

I must have begged my mom and dad to buy me the helmet and anything and everything Seahawks related.

A diehard was born.

I would have never, ever in a trillion years guessed there were Seahawks fans like me living in Maine. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.
Dude, we’re everywhere!

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
You know him you love him…..

Joe Nash.
Probably not the first pick @72 for the younger/newer fans but I’d argue this guy did more for the team than the other popular/more recent guy. (Although I loved him too)

15 count them, 15 seasons as an UDFA, entire career by the way.

Attachments

• IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0

BASF

Reaction score
You know him you love him…..

Joe Nash.
Probably not the first pick @72 for the younger/newer fans but I’d argue this guy did more for the team than the other popular/more recent guy. (Although I loved him too)

15 count them, 15 seasons as an UDFA, entire career by the way.
The trick knee is legendary and better than anything that Bennett did.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Big Walt at #71.

As a young lad in Eastern Washington, I looked forward to Seahawks training camp every summer. One notable absence from practicing most years however was Walter Jones. But he clearly didn't need training camp. As soon as game day hit, this guy was arguably the best at his position for a decade strong.

One year, Walter Jones did practice at Cheney training camp. I want to say it was the '06 season. He was one of the nicest men I'd ever met. A humble giant. At that year's scrimmage played at Roos Field at the campus of EWU, Walter Jones suited up and dominated the competition. He was holding his own for Hass and Wallace, treating the scrimmage like it was the Superbowl.

Fresh off the screw job that was XL, he cracked jokes with us about the officiating from that past February's disaster of a game. A mild mannered man whom you clearly didn't want to upset. Ladies and gentlemen, we are 71 days away from kicking off the 2023/24 Seahawks season.

Attachments

• e1d9976a-00e1-11e6-8281-b934e5d25383.jpg
    e1d9976a-00e1-11e6-8281-b934e5d25383.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 3
  • x1cyk4dzlwh0wk23iuj6.png
    x1cyk4dzlwh0wk23iuj6.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts