Official Maelstrom and Geno Smith Apology Thread

Smellyman

Reaction score
Hey if you want to jump up and down about winning by one point, playing at home, while only scoring 17 - as the opposing QB was garbage?

By all means.
But the reason the opposing QB WAS garbage was probably the defense. Call it a strawman if you want, but Geno was the bus driver not the one that won us the game. He didn't even do anything for the final quarter.
The defense held firm and deserves the credit.
Geno wasn't garbage. So kudos on that. But the defense deserves the flowers here.
done and done.

NFL is hard to win in no matter what

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I still don't understand why some people straight up don't want to credit complementary football for team wins.

You've lived through 12 years of Pete Carroll - you all know damn well it's a team game lol

Geno doesn't win without the D, and the D doesn't win without Geno. Geno doesn't win without his receivers, his backs, Travis Homer saving his ass on a blitz pickup, etc.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I still don't understand why some people straight up don't want to credit complementary football for team wins.

You've lived through 12 years of Pete Carroll - you all know damn well it's a team game lol

Geno doesn't win without the D, and the D doesn't win without Geno. Geno doesn't win without his receivers, his backs, Travis Homer saving his ass on a blitz pickup, etc.
and everybody is. you are the one that is claiming that everyone is only crediting Geno.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Great.

But does the thread credit them all?

Or does it just credit Geno as if he delivered the win instead of the D?

keasley45

Reaction score
@keasley45 deserves the thread more than I do, really

No credit sought. And besides, you took as much heat as anyone and kept your nose clean, and did it all with far fewer words.

😉.

It's a great night for a win, a great night for the beginning of a new era of Hawks ball , and a great night to know that what some saw in Geno wasn't 'blind optimism'. It was evidence that a player can improve if given the right opportunity.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Hey if you want to jump up and down about winning by one point, playing at home, while only scoring 17 - as the opposing QB was garbage?

By all means.
But the reason the opposing QB WAS garbage was probably the defense. Call it a strawman if you want, but Geno was the bus driver not the one that won us the game. He didn't even do anything for the final quarter.
Geno wasn't garbage. So kudos on that. But the defense deserves the flowers here.
Its a strawman because nobody said he was the reason we won the game

You are creating that fake argument so you can regain some leverage from your poor takes this summer

Just be happy and move on. This is a bad look Twisted, even for you

Donn2390

Reaction score

By all means.
Thank goodness you didn't let us down, your always totally negative responses are expected and you came through like the champion you are.. Keep up the good work, we would be lost without you.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Nothing to be negative about.

The D was fantastic. The corners were exceptional, even considering the penalties.
Just give credit where credit is due. That was their win.

keasley45

Reaction score
Great.

But does the thread credit them all?

Or does it just credit Geno as if he delivered the win instead of the D?

Ok. So let me get this straight. Last year, the D gave up gobs of yards but came up with timely stops and finished near top 10 in points allowed and you railed on how they were bad.

This year, the defense gives up gobs of yards, keeping the offense off the field almost the entire half, but makes timely stops and holds the opposition to 16 points and they're great?

Got it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Wasn't garbage? Damn right.

He was perfect in the first half.
Geno was garbage in the 2nd half and especially garbage in the 4th quarter. Geno was actually GOOD in the first half. I will give credit to Geno for a couple tough runs for first downs in the 2nd half. However...
* Seattle scored 0 points in the 2nd half
* We were lucky the D stepped up timely and frankly we got lucky with the 2 goal line fumbles.

THE RECURRING THEME
Geno routinely SUCKS IN CRUNCH TIME and gives the game away and it was no different tonight, except that the D saved his bacon. As the 4th quarter went on, it felt like only a matter of WHEN Geno would make a game-losing play, not IF.
* Geno looked like a confused deer in the headlights on nearly every dropback in the 4th quarter.
* It's the 4th quarter? It's time for a Geno sack-fumble or multiple sacks in a row. See history below.
* With the game on the line, Geno holds the ball too long, gets hit and fumbles. LT Charles Cross made a game-saving play to catch the fumble out of the air.
* With the game on the line, Geno again holds the ball too long and takes another bad-timing sack.

THE HISTORY
* Same Geno that gave the game away to Pissburgh last year in crunch time with a sack/run fumble.
* Same Geno that choked with the game on the line vs. the Saints last year, with 2 sacks in a row.**
** In fairness, Myers 2 FG misses lost the Aints game, more culpable for the loss than Geno

THE PROBLEM
* Can someone give Geno some NO-CHOK pills? Sort of like NO-DOZ except they help with excessive crunch time choking.
* Geno sucks. Sadly, Lock isn't going to be any better at this point.

Again, in fairness, maybe Waldron didn't do well enough with his in-game adjustments, and needed to make the game easier for Geno at Crunch Time.

BASF

Reaction score
* We were lucky the D stepped up timely and frankly we got lucky with the 2 goal line fumbles.
Those were both forced fumbles. It is not like the balls magically slipped out of the ball carriers hands. That is not luck, that is big time players making big time plays when it matters. EDIT to add that Diggs and Nwosu made those hits and deserve credit, not some luck.

Last edited:

olyfan63

Reaction score
Those were both forced fumbles. It is not like the balls magically slipped out the ball carriers hands. That is not luck, that is big time players making big time plays when it matters.
We agree that both were awesome plays by the defense. My point is more that both of those randomly bouncing balls bounced in ways that were fortunate for the Hawks and were scooped up by the Seahawks D. FYI, I define "luck" as "opportunity meets preparation." Kind of like that onside kick recovered by Chris Matthews in the NFCCG vs the Packers.

QDiggs dropping the Russell pick... that wasn't "bad luck" IMO, that was, "that's why Diggs is a DB and not a WR". Opportunity meets lack of catching ability = interception not made.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Ok. So let me get this straight. Last year, the D gave up gobs of yards but came up with timely stops and finished near top 10 in points allowed and you railed on how they were bad.

This year, the defense gives up gobs of yards, keeping the offense off the field almost the entire half, but makes timely stops and holds the opposition to 16 points and they're great?

Got it.
Whatever fits his current narrative :)

JPatera76

Reaction score
I think its really.. just more or less to say congrats team yall did great. we're proud. Sorry Geno for doubting your and sorry @Maelstrom787 for being rude, and not looking at how you did with geno and you were correct.

Look an apology thats not giving credit to geno but acknowledging I was wrong in my assement of geno vs lock. As well as recognizing tonight was a team win.. why tf are people getting pissed at people for admiting they were wrong and eating crow? holy shit. I am happy to be wrong, This team looks refreshed and amped. As for those trying to push a narrative and they're panties are in a twist.. go to bed, get drunk, go smoke a something.. something holy cow try to be happy eh?