Ok....the lateral????

BullHawk33

Reaction score
The ball was touched by the receiver forward of the point where it was released and Russ. Russ was past the line of scrimmage. By rule, this should have been an illegal forward pass. That said, a foul doesn't exist until an official rules on it and they could have thrown the red flag.

The MVP play was on the team to quickly get to the line and run the next play.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
At full speed its a beautiful lateral. It's only when they slow it down were the illusion is exposed and yes it went forward. Eagles can't point the finger at the refs on that one....It's on their coach for not challenging.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Hey what about the facemask that wasn't called on PRich? Oh wait he's a SEAHAWK that got screwed over, nevermind.

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
lobohawk":4d04wff8 said:
If the question is did Wilson throw it behind himself, the yes. Two players running parallel and one tosses it backward to the other, the ball will drift forward....but it was still thrown behind the QB.
Yeah, throw a football BACKWARDS out of a fast moving car and it will still land forward of where it was thrown.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
My eyes told me it was a lateral. That's a the evidence I need. Russ tossed it to the trailing back.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2eu7jdj7 said:
THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..
It's called physics.. A backwards pass will still travel forward when you running full speed. The announcers were off base imo.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Wasn't a big issue in college before instant replay. As long as the ball was pitched behind the QB to the RB all was good.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
It's not even remotely close to a forward pass. Some of you need to take a #_&@ physics class.

evergreen

Reaction score
Another famous or dubious play for us on national tv!

253hawk

Reaction score
It did essentially carry forward, but the ball did travel backwards relative to Wilson because he was running so fast. The faster you go, the more force you need to throw the ball backwards to cancel out its velocity. Most laterals are done at much slower speed, so it's not usually an issue.

At least that was challengeable, unlike the helmet pull/facemask that killed one of our drives.

chris98251

Reaction score
It's OVER, GET OVER IT !!!!!

It did not affect the game outcome since we were ahead anyway.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
jlwaters1":3i0yr5p4 said:
Bobblehead":3i0yr5p4 said:
THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..
It's called physics.. A backwards pass will still travel forward when you running full speed. The announcers were off base imo.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

By NFL rules, that makes it a forward pass:

"(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s)."

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
renofox":1grpfhx2 said:
https://static.nfl.com/static/conte...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

Rule 8
Forward Pass, Backward Pass, Fumble
Section 1
Forward Pass
DEFINITION
Article 1 Definition

It is a forward pass if:
(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s); or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

Released at ~47 yard line.

Caught at ~47.5 - 48 yard line.

Ball does not change direction of travel in mid-flight.

It was a forward pass.

If challenged and overturned it would have been 4th and 8 (loss of down) from the 42 (5 yard penalty).

Look up the definition of INITIALLY

Polaris

Reaction score
Here is the bottom line as far as I am concerned:

1. It looked in play like a legal lateral.
2. It was so close that I doubt it would have been overturned on replay review.
3. The Eagles HAD two time outs and a challenge left. If was the responsibility of the Eagles to throw the challenge flag, but apparently they thought it was legal too. Too bad, so sad.

If we wanted to nitpick everything, games would last 3 days not three hours.

lobohawk

Reaction score
renofox":d7ewg3h4 said:
https://static.nfl.com/static/conte...pdfs/11_Rule8_ForwardPass_BackPass_Fumble.pdf

Rule 8
Section 1
Forward Pass
DEFINITION
Article 1 Definition

It is a forward pass if:
(a) the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s); or
(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

It was a forward pass.

If challenged and overturned it would have been 4th and 8 (loss of down) from the 42 (5 yard penalty).
I get it, but the rule was written describing a motionless passer. In this case the "release point" was moving, so you could say it was always behind the release point.

Bet if you go through the archives, you will find lots of laterals that also drifted forward due to this same scenario.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":1qhagdky said:
renofox":1qhagdky said:

Rule 8
Section 1
Forward Pass
DEFINITION
Article 1 Definition

It is a forward pass if:

It was a forward pass.

Look up the definition of INITIALLY

Look up the definition of "or"

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Why are supposed seahawk fans always so hell bent to criticize Russell Wilson’s every move? Well he is top of his game right now so I suggest you trade him away for a kings ransom so you can finally be happy.

Jeremy517

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2pw7qd2m said:
Why are supposed seahawk fans always so hell bent to criticize Russell Wilson’s every move? Well he is top of his game right now so I suggest you trade him away for a kings ransom so you can finally be happy.

Absolutely no one is criticizing Russ for trying to lateral. It was an incredibly heads-up play to even try to lateral the ball.