Ok....the lateral????

253hawk

Reaction score
Jeremy517":2hcbvgja said:
jlwaters1":2hcbvgja said:
Bobblehead":2hcbvgja said:
THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..
It's called physics.. A backwards pass will still travel forward when you running full speed. The announcers were off base imo.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

By NFL rules, that makes it a forward pass:

"(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s)."

It gets a bit silly though, because a lateral while running at full speed is almost physically impossible to pull off without jumping into the air and winging it backwards wildly with both hands. I'm curious as to how many players can whip a ball backwards at 20+ MPH (to bring the ball's relative momentum to zero) and not blow their shoulder and elbow out.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Now that I've read part (b) of the rule as posted here, I apologize. Now that my apology is out of the way, who in God's name thought that that would be a good definition of a forward pass?

Running the option back in the day, we would pitch the ball in exactly that situation all day and it was perfectly legal.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
253hawk":18fgozbe said:
Jeremy517":18fgozbe said:
jlwaters1":18fgozbe said:
Bobblehead":18fgozbe said:
THey were correct, started at 47, caught at 48..
It's called physics.. A backwards pass will still travel forward when you running full speed. The announcers were off base imo.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

By NFL rules, that makes it a forward pass:

"(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s)."

It gets a bit silly though, because a lateral while running at full speed is almost physically impossible to pull off without jumping into the air and winging it backwards wildly with both hands. I'm curious as to how many players can whip a ball backwards at 20+ MPH (to bring the ball's relative momentum to zero) and not blow their shoulder and elbow out.

They can't and it was never expected. Forward means pushed in front, that is not what happened.

renofox

Reaction score
The Seahawks got away with one - the lateral.

The Eagles got away with one - the facemask.

Can we just call it even?

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1xpywrup said:
The actull rule has been posted here, people ignore it and keep thinking it was a lateral.

Not really as black and white as you keep painting it to be due to the factors discussed above.

May have been overturned.....unlikely though. At the rate he was running, it would have been nearly impossible to lateral a ball and not have it drift forward a bit due to physics.

Bang bang call probably stands as called

trharder

Reaction score
Why would they include the word "initially" if it didn't matter? Initially, he threw the ball behind him. Lateral. Legal.
Great play.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
253hawk":8eli7ccw said:
It did essentially carry forward, but the ball did travel backwards relative to Wilson because he was running so fast. The faster you go, the more force you need to throw the ball backwards to cancel out its velocity. Most laterals are done at much slower speed, so it's not usually an issue.
Ya, I can't imagine anyone watching on TV thought it was a forward pass until the replays showing the markers clearly, since it was a lateral relative to the moving players. But from the rule quoted earlier sounds like that doesn't matter.

Seymour

Reaction score
I guess the conspiracy is against the Eagles this week. :twisted:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":1ou7p345 said:
We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Passer releases the ball and continues running forward. Ball travels forward but is caught behind where passer ends up when the ball is caught...forward pass....it only matters where the ball struck in relation to where it was released. This brings the ohysics argument out of the equation...which makes the rule the opposite of more complicated (simpler).

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt Largent":7dys0gvh said:
It's not even remotely close to a forward pass. Some of you need to take a #_&@ physics class.

What? I think you need the physics lesson

253hawk

Reaction score
Could also argue that #24 of the Eagles committed a low block on Wilson since he didn't have the ball and was hit in the legs. I mean even Hasselbeck gets called for doing it on the actual ball carrier...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanLevyThinks/status/937533353678594048[/tweet]

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1buayjor said:
WindCityHawk":1buayjor said:

Next question.

Passer releases the ball and continues running forward. Ball travels forward but is caught behind where passer ends up when the ball is caught...forward pass....it only matters where the ball struck in relation to where it was released. This brings the ohysics argument out of the equation...which makes the rule the opposite of more complicated (simpler).

Dude, watch the highlight again. The ball leaves Wilson's body headed behind his latitude. How is this discussion happening?

Philly didn't challenge it because they know they would have lost.

Nog

Reaction score
It's called physics. RW threw the ball backward initially, that's all it matters !

Smellyman

Reaction score
253hawk":2o7zxtbm said:
Could also argue that #24 of the Eagles committed a low block on Wilson since he didn't have the ball and was hit in the legs. I mean even Hasselbeck gets called for doing it on the actual ball carrier...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanLevyThinks/status/937533353678594048[/tweet]

That tweet sums it up perfectly.

Looks great.

Letter of law(rules). Illegal

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
trharder":2x8rg2os said:
Why would they include the word "initially" if it didn't matter? Initially, he threw the ball behind him. Lateral. Legal.
Great play.

That portion of the rule only really matters if the ball is tipped forward after travelling backward INITIALLY, it is there to protect the offense from a fumble ruling after a tipped backward pass. Part (b) is the rule that matters in this case.