Ok....the lateral????

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It was an illegal forward pass.

Unfortunately, per usual, everyone will focus on this one play rather than the full scope of the game.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":oox1f3dn said:
XxXdragonXxX":oox1f3dn said:
WindCityHawk":oox1f3dn said:
We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Passer releases the ball and continues running forward. Ball travels forward but is caught behind where passer ends up when the ball is caught...forward pass....it only matters where the ball struck in relation to where it was released. This brings the ohysics argument out of the equation...which makes the rule the opposite of more complicated (simpler).

Dude, watch the highlight again. The ball leaves Wilson's body headed behind his latitude. How is this discussion happening?

Philly didn't challenge it because they know they would have lost.

Because that doesnt matter. All that matters is the balls starting and end result in relation to THE GOAL LINE. Starting, further away, ending, closer. Forward pass. Physics DOES NOT MATTER IN RELATION TO THE NFL RULEBOOK.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":n4d987sx said:
trharder":n4d987sx said:
Why would they include the word "initially" if it didn't matter? Initially, he threw the ball behind him. Lateral. Legal.
Great play.

That portion of the rule only really matters if the ball is tipped forward after travelling backward INITIALLY, it is there to protect the offense from a fumble ruling after a tipped backward pass. Part (b) is the rule that matters in this case.
Although I think it's illegal under (a) as well: "the ball initially moves forward (to a point nearer the opponent’s goal line) after leaving the passer’s hand(s)"

The ball isn't magically changing directions in mid-air, and the part I bolded seems to clarify that "forward" is relative to the field, not the players.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":3slkb64q said:
We're making this more complicated than it needs to be. The ball goes behind Wilson. Forward passes don't go behind the passer.

Next question.

Exactly. If laterals in some of the past NFL games were scrutinized with freeze frame/instant replay to this degree we'd probably have a rule change to the lateral pass by now.
Bottom line is two guys running simultaneous: the man sprinting in front tosses it slightly backward to the man behind him will find the ball still traveling forward nearly as fast as the are.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":22p1no4z said:
WindCityHawk":22p1no4z said:
XxXdragonXxX":22p1no4z said:
WindCityHawk":22p1no4z said:

Next question.

Passer releases the ball and continues running forward. Ball travels forward but is caught behind where passer ends up when the ball is caught...forward pass....it only matters where the ball struck in relation to where it was released. This brings the ohysics argument out of the equation...which makes the rule the opposite of more complicated (simpler).

Dude, watch the highlight again. The ball leaves Wilson's body headed behind his latitude. How is this discussion happening?

Because that doesnt matter. All that matters is the balls starting and end result in relation to THE GOAL LINE. Starting, further away, ending, closer. Forward pass. Physics DOES NOT MATTER IN RELATION TO THE NFL RULEBOOK.

In arguing the backward pass doesn't matter, you're tacitly admitting he did throw it backward.

There's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. And anyone in a bar (outside of Philadelphia) can see Wilson pitched the ball behind him. Hence: backward pass.

Unless you're an Eagles fan, I don't know why you're nitpicking technicalities. And if you are an Eagles fan, then you're never going to be convinced otherwise. So, again, we're done here.

It was a great play by a great QB. Sorry your team lost.

(I'm not sorry.)

WmHBonney

Reaction score
We got away with one.
They got away with shit too. (Oline holding, facemask on PRich)
Their coach could have challenged but he did not. THAT is not our fault.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":378ifdmu said:
XxXdragonXxX":378ifdmu said:
WindCityHawk":378ifdmu said:
XxXdragonXxX":378ifdmu said:

In arguing the backward pass doesn't matter, you're tacitly admitting he did throw it backward.

There's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. And anyone in a bar (outside of Philadelphia) can see Wilson pitched the ball behind him. Hence: backward pass.

Unless you're an Eagles fan, I don't know why you're nitpicking technicalities. And if you are an Eagles fan, then you're never going to be convinced otherwise. So, again, we're done here.

(I'm not sorry.)

There are no technicalities in this case. I was happy Pederson didnt challenge because he would have won. It was a great heads up move by Wilson, however it was a forward pass, if you want to make up rules to suit you that is fine. But you should know that the reality of the NFL rulebook opposes your fantasy.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":z5hrahj0 said:
WindCityHawk":z5hrahj0 said:
XxXdragonXxX":z5hrahj0 said:
WindCityHawk":z5hrahj0 said:

(I'm not sorry.)

There are no technicalities in this case. I was happy Pederson didnt challenge because he would have won. It was a great heads up move by Wilson, however it was a forward pass, if you want to make up rules to suit you that is fine. But you should know that the reality of the NFL rulebook opposes your fantasy.

He throws the ball behind him, homie. That's a fact.

Polaris

Reaction score
WmHBonney":2yqjtyk8 said:
We got away with one.
They got away with shit too. (Oline holding, facemask on PRich)
Their coach could have challenged but he did not. THAT is not our fault.

Exactly, It LOOKED like a lateral to the world. If it wasn't under close examination, then it was UP TO THE EAGLES who had a time out (two in fact) and a challenge left to throw the red hanky.

They didn't which apparently means they thought it was legit. If you fail to challenge, you have no right to complain.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":dd987kus said:
XxXdragonXxX":dd987kus said:
WindCityHawk":dd987kus said:
XxXdragonXxX":dd987kus said:

(I'm not sorry.)
The NFL appears to have gone out of their way to clarify in the rule that "forward" is relative to the field ("a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line"), so I'm not sure how you can argue the spirit of the rule is relative to the passer. We can argue about what the rule should be, but with the current rule the Seahawks clearly got away with one.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":kgysdb96 said:
XxXdragonXxX":kgysdb96 said:
WindCityHawk":kgysdb96 said:
XxXdragonXxX":kgysdb96 said:

(I'm not sorry.)

He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.

SeahawksCanuck

Reaction score
WindCityHawk":17epaiky said:
No one's arguing that, but according to the rules it's also irrelevant.

Josea16

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":3azps8lk said:
WindCityHawk":3azps8lk said:
XxXdragonXxX":3azps8lk said:
WindCityHawk":3azps8lk said:

(I'm not sorry.)

Keep bitching boy, we will be bending you over or Minnasota soon enough.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Josea16":59kqeisr said:
XxXdragonXxX":59kqeisr said:
WindCityHawk":59kqeisr said:
XxXdragonXxX":59kqeisr said:

Keep bitching boy we will be bending you or Minnasota soon enough.

Lol.

Sorry Im not from the faction of fans that will defend EVERY call that goes our way to the death no matter what the rulebook says. Once again, glad it went our way but Im MAN enough to admit when my team got away with one. Boy.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Jerhawk":307b59kq said:
It was an illegal forward pass.

Unfortunately, per usual, everyone will focus on this one play rather than the full scope of the game.
This threAd is about that play thus the focus

12thbrah

Reaction score
Philly didnt challenge means its a great play. Nuff said.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was a forward pass, by rule, and we got away with one. Since it was pitched at the 47 and caught at the 48, by rule it was a forward pass. It did look totally awesome and clearly like a lateral in live play.

No challenge, too bad for Philly. Oh well.

olyfan63

Reaction score
It was a forward pass, by rule, and we got away with one. Since it was pitched at the 47 and caught at the 48, by rule it was a forward pass. It did look totally awesome and clearly like a lateral in live play.

Had it been challenged, Philly would have won the challenge. Yes, it was close, but it was clear. Philly wins the challenge, but NOT the game, if they challenge.

No challenge, too bad for Philly. Oh well.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":30bi85m6 said:
[He throws the ball at the 47, it is caught at the 48...homie....that is a fact.

Wow, really holding that phrase at a distance. I've heard all I need to.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
The lateral pass rule is outdated.
It should recognize where the players are in relation to eachother when the ball is tossed and not merely the travel of the ball. If a backward toss isnt even a lateral then NFL may have trouble with its ruling.
Some historic laterals were never scrutinized to this degree by guys like Cris Collingsworth.