OT Bradley Sowell agrees to 1-year $1.5 million dollar deal

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
Hard to have an opinion on this one. Our offensive line has been pretty offensive since 2005, so anything is an improvement.

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":1y14jb6q said:
Had Seattle kept Alvin Bailey on the minimum tender, it would have cost $1.67 million. Money is pretty close. Which tells you that Seattle thinks Sowell is better than Bailey, or at least that Sowell is more palatable than Bailey.

Or that Sowell chose us as one of his 31 other teams :)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Provides 'some' competition plus will be useful on special teams. I defy anyone not named firebee to get excited about this though.

mrt144

Reaction score
firebee":17n7rpp7 said:
Woot!!! I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Or we'll remember who to tease if he is terrible. :p

firebee

Reaction score
mrt144":2xmulf67 said:
firebee":2xmulf67 said:
Woot!!! I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Or we'll remember who to tease if he is terrible. :p

Hahaha... Very true, but I'm confident people will get excited about him playing for us after they see him go to work.

Willyeye

Reaction score
kearly":47i9zdmm said:
Had Seattle kept Alvin Bailey on the minimum tender, it would have cost $1.67 million. Money is pretty close. Which tells you that Seattle thinks Sowell is better than Bailey, or at least that Sowell is more palatable than Bailey.

WOW!!! More palatable. For some reason I just love that.

Willyeye

Reaction score
One bad part about this signing: any signing of a UFA prior to June 1 cancels out one of our comp picks for 2017...as it stands right now, this signing cancels out our comp pick for Mebane. However, as long as we lose another UFA for at least $1.5 million, we can still regain the comp pick for Mebane. Hopefully, it will end up being someone like maybe one of the Jackson's...Tarvaris or Fred

drdiags

Reaction score
Rob Rang joins in on discussing Bradley Sowell's signing:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/seahawks/story/1651794-seahawks-add-ol-bradley-sowell

The addition of Sowell isn't likely to impact Seattle's plans with the No. 26 overall pick, which look increasingly likely to be spent on an offensive lineman with each day that Okung (or a more prominent free agent like him at that position) isn't added to the roster. Fortunately, as noted here, there are several worthwhile candidates to consider at this position early in the 2016 NFL Draft.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Depth and Okung insurance isn't a bad thing as this point. It helps negotiations and the idea that we are going to spend three high draft picks on OL, start them all right away, and expect not to suck is naive. Just think about the OL we have drafted and how well they have played in their rookie years.

Largent80

Reaction score
kearly":2vt7vyqv said:

Maybe he only eats 10 big Macs as opposed to a dozen.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I too am managing expectations. The thing about a depth signing is that he's often not better than the guy he's backing up. And that's not always a game you want to play at LT.

In other words, still really hoping for either Okung back or a new option in the draft.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Is this the guy Kam knocked over? Or was it the guy McDaniel bear clubbed and knocked over?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This is a a good add by the team and they acquire a better and more talented OLineman than Bailey for a lower price.

If Sowell works out he'll be worth re-signing for a longer deal but if not then if he gets a good offer elsewhere the Hawks may acquire a comp pick.

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2bdc0rzx said:
This is a a good add by the team and they acquire a better and more talented OLineman than Bailey for a lower price.

If Sowell works out he'll be worth re-signing for a longer deal but if not then if he gets a good offer elsewhere the Hawks may acquire a comp pick.

Nope. Not possible to gain comp picks from players that are signed to 1-year deals.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Still like this addition.

kearly

Reaction score
Edit: If my understanding is correct, Sowell won't cost Seattle a comp pick. As a then RFA, Sowell signed with AZ on a 1 year deal last February. Players who leave after signing a 1 year deal do not factor into the comp pick formula.

Willyeye":36oarsjh said:
One bad part about this signing: any signing of a UFA prior to June 1 cancels out one of our comp picks for 2017...as it stands right now, this signing cancels out our comp pick for Mebane. However, as long as we lose another UFA for at least $1.5 million, we can still regain the comp pick for Mebane. Hopefully, it will end up being someone like maybe one of the Jackson's...Tarvaris or Fred

This is a fair point to bring up, but requires further clarification. Not every UFA counts for or against comp picks, they have to reach a certain threshold of relevancy within the formula, which is based on some combination of salary, playing time, and postseason honors.

I'm guessing that Seattle signed Sowell before June 1st because they felt decently confident he wouldn't qualify. His pay and playing time are both on the low end, and he's never received awards. I doubt they view Sowell as being worth a 6th round pick.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A cheap piece to add to the pike and see what shakes out.

I'm sure we'll see several more moves along the o'line before were done.

kearly

Reaction score
While I'm all for signing veterans to cheap deals that don't cost the team comp picks, I do think there is downside even in such a "low risk" acquisition. Sowell costs Seattle little if he fails to make the team, but if he does make the team and plays very poorly, he could create negative value.

To put it in Mariners terms, this is like signing Richie Weeks or Joe Saunders, guys who cost very little money, but made the team and created negative WAR. I'm hoping Sowell can be the next Breno, but there are reasons to worry that he could be the next Drew Nowak.

Latest posts