OT Bradley Sowell agrees to 1-year $1.5 million dollar deal

kf3339

Reaction score
considering how poorly our O-Line played most of last season, I hope Firebee is right to have so much faith in Sowell being a potential quality signing. It can't be really much worse than some of the crap we worked with of late.

Hopefully, it is a steal and we all celebrate the signing!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Calling it right now.. he will start over Britt at LG.

I think they still go OT in the draft or bring back Okung

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Without much cap space these are the signings we need.

We need to draft 2-3 OL, but it's good to get a cheap vet like this.

At best he starts for us for $1.5m, at worst he gets cut. In the middle is a backup for $1.5m.

This isn't sexy, but it's what we need.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":1pd4f10p said:
While I'm all for signing veterans to cheap deals that don't cost the team comp picks, I do think there is downside even in such a "low risk" acquisition. Sowell costs Seattle little if he fails to make the team, but if he does make the team and plays very poorly, he could create negative value.

To put it in Mariners terms, this is like signing Richie Weeks or Joe Saunders, guys who cost very little money, but made the team and created negative WAR. I'm hoping Sowell can be the next Breno, but there are reasons to worry that he could be the next Drew Nowak.
That's why the Hawks still need to draft 2-3 OL.

Hopefully the Hawks can see enough to make the right call when it comes time to set the roster. If he is going to be another Nowak then hopefully we have enough better linemen that we can just cut bait.

Willyeye

Reaction score
kearly":uqb27au5 said:
Edit: If my understanding is correct, Sowell won't cost Seattle a comp pick. As a then RFA, Sowell signed with AZ on a 1 year deal last February. Players who leave after signing a 1 year deal do not factor into the comp pick formula.

Willyeye":uqb27au5 said:
One bad part about this signing: any signing of a UFA prior to June 1 cancels out one of our comp picks for 2017...as it stands right now, this signing cancels out our comp pick for Mebane. However, as long as we lose another UFA for at least $1.5 million, we can still regain the comp pick for Mebane. Hopefully, it will end up being someone like maybe one of the Jackson's...Tarvaris or Fred

This is a fair point to bring up, but requires further clarification. Not every UFA counts for or against comp picks, they have to reach a certain threshold of relevancy within the formula, which is based on some combination of salary, playing time, and postseason honors.

I'm guessing that Seattle signed Sowell before June 1st because they felt decently confident he wouldn't qualify. His pay and playing time are both on the low end, and he's never received awards. I doubt they view Sowell as being worth a 6th round pick.

That could be the case. Just curious...I noticed that sometimes players that sign a 1-year deal do count towards comp picks. Revis played for the Patriots for one year in 2014, and the Patriots received a comp pick for him in 2015.

I'm also not sure if you're correct to assume that the qualifiers are the same for FA's that give a team a comp pick as they are for players that take away comp picks. I do know that Sowell played in all 16 games for the Cards...I'm assuming that was on Special Teams. I also know that Scott Tolzien, Packers backup QB, played in only 3 games all year in 2015. He only threw one pass the entire year, and the people at Overthecap have him cancelling out an FA loss by the Colts. The qualifiers could be different for a cancelling FA. Either way, I'm hoping you're correct, although I'm pretty sure there should eventually be an FA that ends up making up for signing Sowell.

I do know that because Siliga was an RFA, and the Patriots decided not to tender him, he becomes a UFA, but doesn't cancel out any of our comp picks. I guess their decision to not tender him is the equivalence of cutting him.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Still need competition. It would be nice to see them either bring okung back, or sign Penn or beachum. The best thing in my opinion would be to trade for one of the better Lt in the league, even if it costs a first rounder. Say Joe Thomas for example. I wish they would stop reporating Thomas would be a good trade for the hawks, I think I am getting my hopes up, lol.

firebee

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":1hcounjp said:
firebee":1hcounjp said:
Start watching at about the minute mark... #79.. the 2:50 mark really got my attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUgDNA2L-A

Gimpy-a-saurus after getting rolled up on

I noticed that, but notice that Gimpy blew up 4 guys on a big run shortly after getting rolled up on and he didn't go out of the game, which indicates he has the durability and toughness that makes us all warm and fuzzy inside. Would also like to note that he didn't give up a sack to Greg Hardy, Aldon Smith or Chris Long and he only gave up 1 sack to JJ Watt. The only game he really got abused in was the game against us. Not bad for a rookie. I'm excited to see what he can do at LT with 3 years of experience in the NFL under his belt, as the left side is his most natural fit.

2_0_6

Reaction score
firebee":20uvscwi said:
Hawk_Nation":20uvscwi said:
firebee":20uvscwi said:
Start watching at about the minute mark... #79.. the 2:50 mark really got my attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUgDNA2L-A

Gimpy-a-saurus after getting rolled up on

I noticed that, but notice that Gimpy blew up 4 guys on a big run shortly after getting rolled up on and he didn't go out of the game, which indicates he has the durability and toughness that makes us all warm and fuzzy inside. Would also like to note that he didn't give up a sack to Greg Hardy, Aldon Smith or Chris Long and he only gave up 1 sack to JJ Watt. The only game he really got abused in was the game against us. Not bad for a rookie. I'm excited to see what he can do at LT with 3 years of experience in the NFL under his belt, as the left side is his most natural fit.

Haha exactly what I was referring to. Regardless of just damn near blowing out a wheel on a previous play, he trucked some guys down the field on a good run.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So if we brought back Okung for a 1 year deal and he left after next season and got well paid the team would get no compensation pick?

I really now don't understand the rules on these comp picks.

Can anyone fill me in on the rules?

hawknation2016

Reaction score
One advantage to signing a veteran swing tackle is that it allows the young linemen to buckle down and learn one position, while Sowell plays the swiss army knife role when injuries strike.

Glowinski should be able to focus solely on the RG position, just like Sweezy did. Hopefully they will nail down where Britt and Sokoli will play, ASAP. Carroll said he doesn't know whether Britt will play LG or RT, which are too very different positions. Last off-season, Britt lost weight to become more agile on the outside for the RT position, but then he ended up having to move to LG at the last minute because we weren't getting enough out of Alvin Bailey. Carroll called Sokoli a center, but it would seem that Lewis would be ahead of him there. This line needs time that they won't have when the bullets start flying to gain confidence and build continuity.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
mikeak":lckduh6r said:
If this "value" was signed at other positions I would say MEH

Any addition to our offensive line is a plus in my opinion. He was on a very good team last year so intriguing to see what he can do.
Whatever hurts Arizona is good in my opinion. And whatever help we can get to improve the OL is just fine. Kansas City did the same last year and the year before seems to have worked out just fine.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
MysterMatt":dhoke4zi said:
It's a solid depth signing and buys us some flexibility. At the price, we've plenty more room to add more.
We don't need depth. We need starters!

Latest posts