OT Bradley Sowell agrees to 1-year $1.5 million dollar deal

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":3abns2p5 said:
Edit: If my understanding is correct, Sowell won't cost Seattle a comp pick. As a then RFA, Sowell signed with AZ on a 1 year deal last February. Players who leave after signing a 1 year deal do not factor into the comp pick formula.

Willyeye":3abns2p5 said:
One bad part about this signing: any signing of a UFA prior to June 1 cancels out one of our comp picks for 2017...as it stands right now, this signing cancels out our comp pick for Mebane. However, as long as we lose another UFA for at least $1.5 million, we can still regain the comp pick for Mebane. Hopefully, it will end up being someone like maybe one of the Jackson's...Tarvaris or Fred

This is a fair point to bring up, but requires further clarification. Not every UFA counts for or against comp picks, they have to reach a certain threshold of relevancy within the formula, which is based on some combination of salary, playing time, and postseason honors.

I'm guessing that Seattle signed Sowell before June 1st because they felt decently confident he wouldn't qualify. His pay and playing time are both on the low end, and he's never received awards. I doubt they view Sowell as being worth a 6th round pick.

It's my understanding that there has to be a minimum compensation threshold. For the higher picks, it's ranked by the size of the deal (among other things), but vet minimum guys don't apply towards the formula, as well as 1 year tenders.

If this was the case, everyone would be shuffling a couple dozen 7th round picks around the league for all the veteran minimum and 1 year tenders from all the different teams. Even if this was true, the Browns signed Bailey, which would cancel out Sowell. Unless we tender Michael for a year, but lose one of out ST guys. Yes, that's sarcasm, as the lower level player transactions would be even more impossible to keep track of than it is already.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hawks46":8al3q0gi said:
kearly":8al3q0gi said:
Edit: If my understanding is correct, Sowell won't cost Seattle a comp pick. As a then RFA, Sowell signed with AZ on a 1 year deal last February. Players who leave after signing a 1 year deal do not factor into the comp pick formula.

Willyeye":8al3q0gi said:
One bad part about this signing: any signing of a UFA prior to June 1 cancels out one of our comp picks for 2017...as it stands right now, this signing cancels out our comp pick for Mebane. However, as long as we lose another UFA for at least $1.5 million, we can still regain the comp pick for Mebane. Hopefully, it will end up being someone like maybe one of the Jackson's...Tarvaris or Fred

This is a fair point to bring up, but requires further clarification. Not every UFA counts for or against comp picks, they have to reach a certain threshold of relevancy within the formula, which is based on some combination of salary, playing time, and postseason honors.

I'm guessing that Seattle signed Sowell before June 1st because they felt decently confident he wouldn't qualify. His pay and playing time are both on the low end, and he's never received awards. I doubt they view Sowell as being worth a 6th round pick.

It's my understanding that there has to be a minimum compensation threshold. For the higher picks, it's ranked by the size of the deal (among other things), but vet minimum guys don't apply towards the formula, as well as 1 year tenders.

If this was the case, everyone would be shuffling a couple dozen 7th round picks around the league for all the veteran minimum and 1 year tenders from all the different teams. Even if this was true, the Browns signed Bailey, which would cancel out Sowell. Unless we tender Michael for a year, but lose one of out ST guys. Yes, that's sarcasm, as the lower level player transactions would be even more impossible to keep track of than it is already.

Bailey was an RFA, so he doesn't count towards comp picks.

Jville

Reaction score
The off season plot thickens .............

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bradley60Sowell/status/708858601876676608[/tweet]

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4Nbw4KQJU/[/urltargetblank]

McGruff

Reaction score
Jville":1afgc0dq said:
The off season plot thickens .............

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Bradley60Sowell/status/708858601876676608[/tweet]

Link >>> [urltargetblank]https://www.instagram.com/p/BC4Nbw4KQJU/[/urltargetblank]

It's all coming back around . . .

Jville

Reaction score
In addition to playing tackle and guard, Bradley Sowell has also done some long snapping during his career. His signing reminds me of the Steven Schilling signing two years ago. Schilling made the team and started 3 of his 8 appearances back in 2014. Finding a backup lineman that can reliably long snap would present attractive roster leverage and depth. I wasn't aware of his long snapping work until today.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
In recognition of how crappy our O-line is, Sowell is being converted to centre and will longsnap from the shotgun to buy Russ more time.

Having revolutionized defensive football, we're trying to make our mark on the offensive side of the game as well. Apparently this idea is Darrell Bevell's baby.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I like this signing a lot more if he's the LS with some OL backup versatility.

drdiags

Reaction score
If he is a backup LS, that is a good thing. If he is the LS, not so good since it is taboo to have your LS actually play regular snaps. So his versatility is a good asset but you have to figure he is in the competition pile for Guard and Tackle.

Latest posts