OT Branden Albert works out for Seahawks

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawks46":1y7l6ko6 said:
DJrmb":1y7l6ko6 said:
Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

Fant's still on the roster. Odhiambo is basically a rookie at LT. I think he's already playing better than Fant was last year.

I also think it's more of a depth move. Pete won't sign Albert and have him come in and hand him a starting job. Plus, Albert would have to get in game shape.

I honestly think this is more about Odhiambo getting knicked up last week and the coaching staff saw the depth at the position and collectively crapped themselves. Best option would be Tobin, or Joekel sliding over and Glowinksi or Tobin moving into LG.

If Albert can play, I like the move. He might not be as physical as Odhiambo, but he's so much more talented and experienced. Plus he could teach Rees and Fant a thing or two about pass blocking, which Cable can't do.

Joeckel is playing well at LG no reason to move him he's been the 2nd best lineman this year behind Britt. Would rather see Tobin at LT.

.... Actually I would rather just sign a proven LT that can play the position but I know there isn't alot of options out there.

Fant's injury was super unfortunate. At least with everyone getting a chance to play they might have time to develop into something better.

I.e. Ifedi who is showing improvement.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3uzw2kwd said:
Lane our 1st for Brown and the Texans 2nd would be nice.

Could happen. We'll be picking low and the Texans high, so you're talking about a jump of 15-20 spots, where the talent gap isn't as pronounced as it would be if we were picking Top 20, and Lane isn't much of a throw-in. But if Brown really has them over that big of a barrel, who knows what they'd accept.

mikeak

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2kq4i3uf said:
Wenhawk":2kq4i3uf said:

Could happen. We'll be picking low and the Texans high, so you're talking about a jump of 15-20 spots, where the talent gap isn't as pronounced as it would be if we were picking Top 20, and Lane isn't much of a throw-in. But if Brown really has them over that big of a barrel, who knows what they'd accept.

??

Houston is a playoff team so we will both be picking low. A 1st for a 2nd will be about a full round dropped

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
mikeak":1nklx3dh said:
MontanaHawk05":1nklx3dh said:
Wenhawk":1nklx3dh said:

??

Houston is a playoff team so we will both be picking low. A 1st for a 2nd will be about a full round dropped

I seriously doubt Houston reaches the playoffs after what just happened to their defensive line. 8-8, maybe.

Hawks46

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":2uid1c49 said:
Hawks46":2uid1c49 said:
DJrmb":2uid1c49 said:
Not sure if I like this or hate it... On one hand I like them trying to address weaknesses by any means necessary, on the other hand it paints a picture that no one currently on the roster is an option. It also would start any progress over at least on the left side of the line.

Fant's still on the roster. Odhiambo is basically a rookie at LT. I think he's already playing better than Fant was last year.

I also think it's more of a depth move. Pete won't sign Albert and have him come in and hand him a starting job. Plus, Albert would have to get in game shape.

I honestly think this is more about Odhiambo getting knicked up last week and the coaching staff saw the depth at the position and collectively crapped themselves. Best option would be Tobin, or Joekel sliding over and Glowinksi or Tobin moving into LG.

If Albert can play, I like the move. He might not be as physical as Odhiambo, but he's so much more talented and experienced. Plus he could teach Rees and Fant a thing or two about pass blocking, which Cable can't do.

Joeckel is playing well at LG no reason to move him he's been the 2nd best lineman this year behind Britt. Would rather see Tobin at LT.

.... Actually I would rather just sign a proven LT that can play the position but I know there isn't alot of options out there.

Fant's injury was super unfortunate. At least with everyone getting a chance to play they might have time to develop into something better.

Oh I agree...Joeckel doesn't quite have good enough feet for LT, which seems odd because one would think that would be scouted pretty heavily after he was universally touted as one of the top 2 LT's in that draft class. I'd like him where he is, but the problem is that if Odhiambo goes down, he's the guy on the squad with the most experience at LT.

Tobin would be an option as well, but Joeckel would make more sense. It's also why the Hawks paid him 8 mil/year. I theorize that Joeckel was the contingency plan if Fant/Rees/Chucklehead A didn't work out.

Anyways, I'd like to see what we can do with Brown. Cable doesn't teach prioritize pass protection, so we'd get a LT that's already beyond Cable's ability to teach. I firmly believe Cable can do pretty well with interior OL, just not Tackles. Maybe a draft pick and Lane. Hell, I'd be ok with our 1st rounder. Duane Brown is better than any LT we could draft in the 1st anyways. That seems like a no brainer, just need to make the money work.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkerD":p8xjz64p said:
Sgt. Largent":p8xjz64p said:
Albert has left Seattle without a deal.

Wondering if it was Money, Talent or a combination of the two?

Who knows. The speculation all along as to why Albert remained unsigned throughout the offseason and now regular season is he's looking for a specific dollar amount, and no one so far is willing to pay it.

Also could be he's not in very good shape, and we're not going to pay a guy to come in here and stink up the joint for the rest of the season cause he's not ready to go.

If I had to guess? It's more #1. 75% of teams could use a good tackle, so no reason SOMEONE hasn't signed Albert yet, other than he's asking too much.

RCATES

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":311lngql said:
HawkerD":311lngql said:
Sgt. Largent":311lngql said:

Who knows. The speculation all along as to why Albert remained unsigned throughout the offseason and now regular season is he's looking for a specific dollar amount, and no one so far is willing to pay it.

Also could be he's not in very good shape, and we're not going to pay a guy to come in here and stink up the joint for the rest of the season cause he's not ready to go.

If I had to guess? It's more #1. 75% of teams could use a good tackle, so no reason SOMEONE hasn't signed Albert yet, other than he's asking too much.

Apparently he's still in town. And has had some recent twitter activity which weighs in that something is happening. Possibly with the Hawks. Outside of a miracle Brown signing picking up Albert would be a considerable upgrade over what we have currently have at the LT position.
https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle?ref ... r%5Eauthor

massari

Reaction score
Wonder why they never brought in G John Greco for a workout? Saints signed him last week after a OL got injured. Jahri Evans all over again. :irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
RCATES":1itp0zhs said:
Sgt. Largent":1itp0zhs said:
HawkerD":1itp0zhs said:
Sgt. Largent":1itp0zhs said:

Apparently he's still in town. And has had some recent twitter activity which weighs in that something is happening. Possibly with the Hawks. Outside of a miracle Brown signing picking up Albert would be a considerable upgrade over what we have currently have at the LT position.
https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle?ref ... r%5Eauthor

Interesting, very interesting...........and his last 3-4 follows on Twitter were Hawks.

Could mean he's close to signing, although someone's going to have to restructure to free up some cap space, cause I doubt Albert will sign for 2M or less. Nor would we want him to, cause that'd leave us with zero cap space for the rest of the year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawks46":19mjy3q4 said:
NFSeahawks628":19mjy3q4 said:
Hawks46":19mjy3q4 said:
DJrmb":19mjy3q4 said:

Oh I agree...Joeckel doesn't quite have good enough feet for LT, which seems odd because one would think that would be scouted pretty heavily after he was universally touted as one of the top 2 LT's in that draft class. I'd like him where he is, but the problem is that if Odhiambo goes down, he's the guy on the squad with the most experience at LT.

Tobin would be an option as well, but Joeckel would make more sense. It's also why the Hawks paid him 8 mil/year. I theorize that Joeckel was the contingency plan if Fant/Rees/Chucklehead A didn't work out.

Anyways, I'd like to see what we can do with Brown. Cable doesn't teach prioritize pass protection, so we'd get a LT that's already beyond Cable's ability to teach. I firmly believe Cable can do pretty well with interior OL, just not Tackles. Maybe a draft pick and Lane. Hell, I'd be ok with our 1st rounder. Duane Brown is better than any LT we could draft in the 1st anyways. That seems like a no brainer, just need to make the money work.

Brown is 32 and probably out of football shape. Whatever rewards we reap from him would probably wait until next year...when he'd be 33. Calls into question whether he'd be worth a first-rounder.

If we're looking for "anything better than Rees", just sign Albert, or use one of the castoffs we already have on the roster.

massari

Reaction score
Even if Brown is out of football shape atm, what makes you think he won't be in football shape/mid season form by playoff time?

Albert was pretty bad last season...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":qk9i55dm said:
Even if Brown is out of football shape atm, what makes you think he won't be in football shape/mid season form by playoff time?

How many times have players that have held out or missed all of training camp, pre-season and half the regular season come back and played well?

I can't think of even one. Most of them come back and get hurt or stink.

Not saying I don't want Albert or Brown, we're desperate on the O-line, any help is good help. But IMO if we sign either it should be at least looking towards next season and beyond. Not giving up picks or trade for half a year band-aid for a player that'll probably not play very well until late in the season, even into next year.

RCATES

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":114xpu7t said:
massari":114xpu7t said:

How many times have players that have held out or missed all of training camp, pre-season and half the regular season come back and played well?

Not saying I don't want Albert or Brown, we're desperate on the O-line, any help is good help. But IMO if we sign either it should be at least looking towards next season and beyond. Not giving up picks or trade for half a year band-aid for a player that'll probably not play very well until late in the season, even into next year.

If we had a serviceable LT I'd agree. But just like last year if we don't get this handled now its going to be a 2nd round exit in the playoffs.

massari

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1r9ueutm said:
massari":1r9ueutm said:

Just searched for a couple min and found Emmitt Smith in 1993, Darrelle Revis in 2010 both were out and came back very strong. Probably Emmitt's best season of his career stats wise. Aaron Donald held out all the way up to the reg season missing the first game this year....

themunn

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":dt3hahid said:
massari":dt3hahid said:

Can't remember when Joey Bosa reported but he sure looked good even as a rookie when he did

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
massari":3l3hnsnm said:
Sgt. Largent":3l3hnsnm said:
massari":3l3hnsnm said:

Just searched for a couple min and found Emmitt Smith in 1993, Darrelle Revis in 2010 both were out and came back very strong. Probably Emmitt's best season of his career stats wise. Aaron Donald held out all the way up to the reg season missing the first game this year....

There are still others who haven't. So the risk exists.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
massari":246dcd0c said:
Sgt. Largent":246dcd0c said:
massari":246dcd0c said:

It's definitely better now that players stay in great shape all year long, but these guys are the exceptions.

The risk exists, and why if we do sign or trade for one of these guys I want it to be long term. Because giving up players or picks for a half season LT band aid that probably won't play very well right away (or get hurt) isn't something I'm interested in.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bob Condotta is reporting by twitter that Albert is still in the Seattle area.

Curious.

Bob Condotta‏ @bcondotta 17h17 hours ago

Hearing Branden Albert is still in the Seattle area. Not sure what that means for signing or not signing with Seahawks though.