Our O-line in the off-season...

GeekHawk

Reaction score
It's a little early yet since we still need to finish the season with a win in February (yes!), but I'm sure tired of The Mighty Seahawks being throttled down by the remnants of rhymes-with-unable's O-line. I believe the best O-line coach in the history of the NFL couldn't get these guys above below-average. Remember how JS/PC came in during their first off-season and made like 200 roster moves to find the right mix of team going forward? I wish to see a similar effort with O-line personnel this off-season. Maybe not 200 moves, but at least like 70...

Don't tell me about how we are decimated by injuries right now. All these injuries did was turn it from bad to worse.

Meanwhile, GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Largent80

Reaction score
6 out of the 10 OL are on the injury report. Hard to be effective hurt. BOTH lines are going to need serious attention next off season. Fant and Ifedi are F.A.

Iupati and Fluker were on 1 year deals and Brown will be 34. Briitt coming off ACL surgery and a HUGE contract for next year.

On the DL...Reed and Jefferson are F.A......So is Clowney.

Hawks have a ton of cap but that is a daunting list of stuff to do. With all the draft picks I see JS doing what he does best.

AgentDib

Reaction score
This will be a huge off-season topic for sure with a ton of turnover.

GeekHawk":2y63469s said:
Don't tell me about how we are decimated by injuries right now. All these injuries did was turn it from bad to worse.
I don't agree as I actually like our starting line quite a bit. Brown is still an above average LT, Iupati-Britt-Fluker is a monstrous interior, and for all the hate Ifedi gets he's improved every year so far.

It is bad luck to lose both your LT and C when LG is the position already limited with injury concerns. Every NFL offensive line would look rough with the same amount of injuries that we have had and there's no need to find a scapegoat for it.

Jones, Pocic, and Hunt have not looked great in relief, but I would argue that they have looked as good as you should expect from backup OL in the NFL. A lot of of the talented players have been going DL for 20+ years now and nobody's 8th OL is a gem in the rough.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Largent80":32xr3gno said:
6 out of the 10 OL are on the injury report. Hard to be effective hurt. BOTH lines are going to need serious attention next off season. Fant and Ifedi are F.A.

Iupati and Fluker were on 1 year deals
Fluker signed a two-year deal so he's under contract for 2020.

Source

Largent80

Reaction score
Jones is a rookie and played out of position at LT last game, Pocic just came off of IR. The coaches admitted to communication problems in the AZ game. Jones gets another week at practice with the 1's at LT. Pocic came in for the injured Iupati (who returned later, and stunk). Fluker certainly hasn't been more than a large man, and even though I forgot about a 2 year signing, his play might get him cut.

And out of all of them, Ifedi (inspite of his stupid motion penalties) has been the best of all, maybe give Hunt credit for coming off the bench for Britt .

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
every single starter is a first round pick, correct? Keep drafting guys, get rid of the human penalty machine. Pray they stay healthy.

John63

Reaction score
Largent80":256t2sa5 said:

Iupati and Fluker were on 1 year deals and Brown will be 34. Briitt coming off ACL surgery and a HUGE contract for next year.

Hawks have a ton of cap but that is a daunting list of stuff to do. With all the draft picks I see JS doing what he does best.

LOL yes because the 25th ranking they had in pass blocking before the injuries is so impressive....NOT

Largent80

Reaction score
John63":2ysr805m said:
Largent80":2ysr805m said:

LOL yes because the 25th ranking they had in pass blocking before the injuries is so impressive....NOT

When RW is your QB, you are going to have those numbers. Why have those numbers been so consistent for every year he has been the QB?...LOL...NOT

OP
OP
GeekHawk

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Chukarhawk":xgpwkh0u said:
every single starter is a first round pick, correct? Keep drafting guys, get rid of the human penalty machine. Pray they stay healthy.

Either a first-round pick of rhymes-with-unable, or a first-round pick from back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. Prior to all the injuries, they weren't even average for an NFL O-line. Our O-line coach (who's name escapes me due to my age and being too lazy to look it up) has spent the last 2 years trying to turn chicken shit into chicken soup and though his efforts have been admirable, it's time this off-season to go all PC/JS on that unit.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jones is in his 2nd year and played LT at Ohio State. They should have given him help against the best DE currently playing. Instead, they left him on an island and complicated pass blocking so that he screwed up and let Chandler blow right by him.

It should've been "Block Chandler Jones every play, and here's a running back or a tight end for help. "

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":3r6n53nw said:
It should've been "Block Chandler Jones every play, and here's a running back or a tight end for help. "
It did seem very Cablesque to leave him isolated like that, would have thought that Solari should have known better, but, with all the injuries stacking up, had they doubled up on Chandler Jones, someone else likely would have gotten to him anyways.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It wasn't just Jones they had trouble with. Jones is a bonafide top pass rusher. Cassius Marsh isn't. They couldn't seem to block Cassius Marsh either....let that sink in for a minute. Hopefully that performance is behind them now and not repeated again.

justafan

Reaction score
i think lineman on both sides of ball need attention every year in the draft. Our best pass protection is play action. Thats one of the things that hurt us in the Cards game. We started having problems after we lost our backs. The oline has to sell the run then control their gap. That takes communication and continuity. We were lacking there also with all the new faces. Im curiouse what the stats are on play action versus straight pass prrotection.

John63

Reaction score
Largent80":3kkgu9xs said:
John63":3kkgu9xs said:
Largent80":3kkgu9xs said:

When RW is your QB, you are going to have those numbers. Why have those numbers been so consistent for every year he has been the QB?...LOL...NOT

Hmm in 2011 BEFORE Wilson they were ranked 25th in pass blocking, nice try though, fyi we have not had an oline higher than 20th since PC has been here hmm.. FYI the year before PC 14th. Hmm

xray

Reaction score
study any ground war...it's the trenches...that win or lose especially now

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
O-line and LB has to be the priority those two position groups are the weakest on this team. Only an idiot would argue otherwise.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
"Only an idiot would argue otherwise."
You rang?
I'd be a happy idiot arguing that out linebackers are not near the top of our positional weakness list. For one thing they're not only playing their position and handling the communication duties, they're covering for D line losses and secondary deficiencies. Not to mention that Wagz and KJ are among the most accomplished linebackers in the league. But they're not super humans who can play every position and cover the entire field.

I would vote for seeing an O Line overhaul though. I think Brown and Britt make a solid foundation but we've been shredded too many times for too long to ignore the problems. If we can't at least be competitive on the lines we can't compete. Our current crew looks good on pre-season paper, but overall the reality has been a disaster. IMO the recent lack of mobility from Russ is most likely a result of excessive punishment he has endured. We can't afford that.

getnasty

Reaction score
Largent80":3p88zvh9 said:
John63":3p88zvh9 said:
Largent80":3p88zvh9 said:

I tend to agree with this, while the OL is still not good i think Russ doesn't do them any favors.

John63

Reaction score
getnasty":36ekpapu said:
Largent80":36ekpapu said:
John63":36ekpapu said:
Largent80":36ekpapu said:

I tend to agree with this, while the OL is still not good i think Russ doesn't do them any favors.

Hmm the QB before Russ had an oline ranked 25th also. Hmm 2 qbs same oline issues. Not the QB, but the type of lineman bei g chosen.

xray

Reaction score
I'm guessing that Britt will be too expensive to keep---Brown at 34 and getting banged up will retire---Upati goes away---Flucker has 1 year left , he's a 50/50 keeper---Ifedi is history---Fant will replace Brown. Really good OLineman are as hard to come by as really good QBs .