Our run game is trash

LTH

Reaction score
The run game was actually the reason we won against the Eagles. But yeah. It hasn't been great.

Here's hoping for better things in 24. After all, it is a special # in Seahawks lore.
They are going to need that run game to beat the steelers!

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
Geno should be taking more snaps under center, opens up the RPO and much easier to disguise the play. The running game will benefit too, and could be much more creative.

Won't happen but I wish it would.
Ummm, while I agree that it might be good for Geno to take more snaps from under center, that doesn't really work for the RPO. For that, the QB has to be upright and facing the defense so he can read the DEs and interior pressure, ergo in shotgun or pistol. Working from under center, the QB almost has to turn his back to some or all of the defense as he drops back. Sure, there's play action passing, but technically not really RPO.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That'd certainly be nice to see for sure.

Geno plays better in shotgun as he dislikes getting hit and regresses being spooked to just dumping off the ball checking down to the underneath receiver.

It, the strong running game, will only happen when the OC varies the running schemes to allow different running schemes than the off tackle plunges.

Last edited:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just my OWN opinion, but I just don't see how our Running game is trash. Maybe the play calling, but with Walker and Charbs, this team can run the F out of the ball if they stick to it. Also, it IS ok to give credit to the opponent. Sometimes they load up for the run and slow it down.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Agree Soulfish, For sure it is the play calling or play designs as both Walker and Charbonnet are exceptional at making plays when the scheme allows for them not to be hit at the line or in the backfield.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Just my OWN opinion, but I just don't see how our Running game is trash. Maybe the play calling, but with Walker and Charbs, this team can run the F out of the ball if they stick to it. Also, it IS ok to give credit to the opponent. Sometimes they load up for the run and slow it down.

It's trash cause we're 29th in the league in rushing.

So blame whoever or whatever you want, less than 100 yards per game with two young high draft pick RB's and a revamped offensive line = trash.

flv2

Reaction score
Bradford has had some good play mixed in with bad (rookie) and Peters
I believe has filled in multiple spots at times but I'm not what his snap
count /where is.
I'm not sure the Hawks have had all 5 playing together much at all, it seems
like someone comes out every game hurt but that's all over the place.
Peters has definitely played some snaps at G for the Seahawks. I don't recall exactly when that was, only that it happened. Most likely it happened when 1 of the Gs was hurt and the starting Ts were already in.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
A Pete coaching staff not using his players the way they should. That never happens :ROFLMAO:
So, less than 100 is ONLY on the players. Has absolutely nothing to do with coaching. Got it.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Bradford will soon be a good OG and if Lewis is healthy so is he. The OLine blocking schemes are not creating much more than overly contested runs where the RBs are being met at or behind the LOS. It seems as well in obvious running situation the OLine is just not getting push needed to execute a short yardage gain.

flv2

Reaction score
The Seahawks rushing attack is limited. Walker has elite speed and he can make people miss at speed and in space. He's a home-run threat. He's not a Barry Bonds home-run threat but he's good for some breakaway TDs every season. Unfortunately he's a poor blocker and his receiving skills are poor. He's a threat once he's got the ball in his hands but he's not someone you can put in the slot. He's not going to run a timing route, create separation, or catch the ball over his shoulder or downfield. He's a weapon, but he's limited.

Charbonnet is just a guy. He can block a bit and catch a bit but he lacks speed to the outside, breakaway speed, a move to make defenders miss, and he doesn't break tackles. He's a solid #3 or #4 RB in the rotation. The RB position needs an upgrade.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Don't agree with the assessment on Charbonnet as JAG we only usually see him on over the tackle up the gut plunges. He's so often met at the LOS and bulls his way for 2- 3 yards. When he gets a chance to get a head of steam he regularly breaks it for a solid longer play. The blocking scheme sucks or is able to be easily read and defended.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The back to back running plays in the red zone at the end of the game. Just maddening. And the Titans clearly knew it was coming.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm beyond sick of seeing Waldron do some good stuff between the 20's, then get scared and/or predictable in the Red Zone.
Little to no creativity.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A Pete coaching staff not using his players the way they should. That never happens :ROFLMAO:
So, less than 100 is ONLY on the players. Has absolutely nothing to do with coaching. Got it.

I said blame whoever you want.

But you seemed to be confused with the word "trash." 29th is trash. The stats are the stats, this is a trash run game.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
The Seahawks rushing attack is limited. Walker has elite speed and he can make people miss at speed and in space. He's a home-run threat. He's not a Barry Bonds home-run threat but he's good for some breakaway TDs every season. Unfortunately he's a poor blocker and his receiving skills are poor. He's a threat once he's got the ball in his hands but he's not someone you can put in the slot. He's not going to run a timing route, create separation, or catch the ball over his shoulder or downfield. He's a weapon, but he's limited.

Charbonnet is just a guy. He can block a bit and catch a bit but he lacks speed to the outside, breakaway speed, a move to make defenders miss, and he doesn't break tackles. He's a solid #3 or #4 RB in the rotation. The RB position needs an upgrade.
Charbonnet is a very good blocker and his blocking was key during the Hawks game winning drive. Look at the following video.

The first play starts at the 10:00 point of the video. First #2 walks down to the LOS, threatening the A gap. At the snap, he drops back in coverage, and a different player (can't see his number but probably a safety) hits the left B gap and has a clear path to Geno. Charb correctly identifies where the blitz is coming from and stones the blitzer, allowing Geno to step up in the pocket and hit Lockett.

The next play is at 10:09. This time #2 steps up and blitzes the right A gap, immediately beating Evens. Charb again correctly identifies where the blitz is coming from, steps up, and helps Evens contain #2. Geno again hits Lockett for a first down.

Finally, at 10:17 the Titans blitz again and the OL does a decent job picking it up. However, #58 beats Fant to the inside. Charbonnet again correctly identifies where the rush is coming from and chips #58. Geno makes the throw to DK which results in the big PI penalty.

The first two plays were definitely drive saving plays. On the third Geno might have still gotten the pass off, but then again he might not have. I'll also point out that I seriously doubt Walker would make any of these blocks had he still been in the game. So yes, Charbonnet is an excellent blocker and his blocking is important to the Hawks's offensive success.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Not trash, just not being used correctly. I have a right to my opinion. And I'm not "confused" dad, I just don't think they're trash.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not trash, just not being used correctly. I have a right to my opinion. And I'm not "confused" dad, I just don't think they're trash.

Sorry, we'll use more delicate words for you next time we discuss these sorts of negative topics.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Soulfish, I completely agree!!!

Your opinion is as usual spot on. You are not confused at all.

We are allowed to be confused Dads anyway, just so long as we show up, and bring our wallets.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Lighten up, Sarge, I'm just joking around.
Never mind. Meh, I thought it was funny. I don't think they're trash. Not sure why that's a big deal.
Come to think of it, I'm confused a lot. Walk across the room and forget why I did. More and more these days........

flv2

Reaction score
Charbonnet is a very good blocker and his blocking was key during the Hawks game winning drive. Look at the following video.

The first play starts at the 10:00 point of the video. First #2 walks down to the LOS, threatening the A gap. At the snap, he drops back in coverage, and a different player (can't see his number but probably a safety) hits the left B gap and has a clear path to Geno. Charb correctly identifies where the blitz is coming from and stones the blitzer, allowing Geno to step up in the pocket and hit Lockett.

The next play is at 10:09. This time #2 steps up and blitzes the right A gap, immediately beating Evens. Charb again correctly identifies where the blitz is coming from, steps up, and helps Evens contain #2. Geno again hits Lockett for a first down.

Finally, at 10:17 the Titans blitz again and the OL does a decent job picking it up. However, #58 beats Fant to the inside. Charbonnet again correctly identifies where the rush is coming from and chips #58. Geno makes the throw to DK which results in the big PI penalty.

The first two plays were definitely drive saving plays. On the third Geno might have still gotten the pass off, but then again he might not have. I'll also point out that I seriously doubt Walker would make any of these blocks had he still been in the game. So yes, Charbonnet is an excellent blocker and his blocking is important to the Hawks's offensive success.

I have no issues with his blocking. He does what i'd demand from any depth RB. I just don't see anything 'plus' about him over any other depth RB. The only plus I can point to is his does a bit of everything so he's not just a blocker. Barring injury he'll have a nice 6+ year career as a depth RB. If he's the #1 RB it'll be a problem. What's his mismatch against an opponent? How does he hurt them?

Latest posts