Pass rusher market is right where JS wants it

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":1biwupzj said:
Any interest in Justin Tuck?

Not from me no.

I am not even sure that the losses in FA is going to change our draft dynamic much. Our WR position really was crowded at the Z. Kearse and Baldwin will compete for those. We are still missing our X receiver.

OL is also pretty solid. With Bailey and Bowie both developing at OT/OG prospects -- I expect our RT position is covered.

Our LEO end is still a medium term need, but only if we assume that we need to let Avril walk to reallocate that cap expense elsewhere in 2015.

This team has set themselves up pretty well to absorb the losses we've seen thus far. I don't see any of these players outside of Sidney Rice creating an actual void on the roster. I'm half wondering if we could be willing to bring Rice back if his market is cold. It seems we've left that door open. And I actually like Rice when he plays. Getting him signed to a manageable contract would be valuable IMO.

As for the original point, I think it's spot on. This market is setting up well thus far with a glut of options that appear to be sliding. A few 'show me' type prospects coming off injury. Melton I think would be attractive. Aside from that type, there are plenty of ring chasers that would be suitable for manageable contracts.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Also add when these guys get up in age and realize that the big long term contract isn't coming, going to a Championship team with the opportunity to get a ring and prove they still have something left in the tank is a big deal.

Pete can wait this out (sure he has someone in mind to replace Clem) and also look to build through the draft for low cost and the future.

While the rest of the league looks to big corners, they still haven't committed to LEO players. Have faith gentleman

DeathbyTalons

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":r4jsktuf said:
Hawkalypse":r4jsktuf said:

Not from me no.

I am not even sure that the losses in FA is going to change our draft dynamic much. Our WR position really was crowded at the Z. Kearse and Baldwin will compete for those. We are still missing our X receiver.

OL is also pretty solid. With Bailey and Bowie both developing at OT/OG prospects -- I expect our RT position is covered.

Our LEO end is still a medium term need, but only if we assume that we need to let Avril walk to reallocate that cap expense elsewhere in 2015.

This team has set themselves up pretty well to absorb the losses we've seen thus far. I don't see any of these players outside of Sidney Rice creating an actual void on the roster. I'm half wondering if we could be willing to bring Rice back if his market is cold. It seems we've left that door open. And I actually like Rice when he plays. Getting him signed to a manageable contract would be valuable IMO.

As for the original point, I think it's spot on. This market is setting up well thus far with a glut of options that appear to be sliding. A few 'show me' type prospects coming off injury. Melton I think would be attractive. Aside from that type, there are plenty of ring chasers that would be suitable for manageable contracts.
I agree with your concise assessment of Tuck, as I was throwing out his name as a point of discussion. The guy is visiting the Raiders because he wants one last payday before he hangs it up and, after winning two rings, probably feels like mailing it in at the NFL's version of an on field retirement home. No passion, no hunger exists in his play. If it wasn't for a six game explosion last year where he ran into a glut of statuesque QB's, his season would have been considered a down year. I think our line is still looking good with Avril, Bennett, McDaniel and Mebane. Add in a few X-factors who could have break out years, Scruggs, Mayowa, Williams, Boatright, Hill et al, the percentages say at least one out all the names should turn into a productive player. I'm all for adding Jared Allen, Jason Hatcher or any other premium 'name' d-lineman as long as this doesn't set back, cap wise, the long term designs this franchise has on dominating the league. My hope is that JS, and I believe he is, looking for those under the wire potential gems to pick up such as Alex Carrington or Corey Wooten. Guys with a chip on their shoulder and looking for a chance to prove themselves, before going all in on high priced vets.

Atradees

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3nxprk4n said:
sutz":3nxprk4n said:
Schneid is crazy like a fox. I think he's got this. :)
Correct. And FYI Allen will be a Seahawk. As will Hatcher.

Your intuition tells you this because?? They visited. Left without a contract. Are out in the world simmering. Mulling other

offers cause we lowballed them? Then the FA's will come circling back because of our insights and superior team affects there

future? Sounds about right.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I just want my uncomfortable feeling to go away. My preference of all the guys available is Allen, who is reported to really want a payday similar to what Ware got. Thanks, horse face.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kearly":1ysyp7gh said:
Just don't expect it to happen tomorrow. It could take weeks, but this is the kind of situation JS wants. I don't think JS would have released Clemons today without feeling very good about this situation.

JS's gonna do exactly what he did last year...............wait for a bunch of teams to overpay for players this week, let the dust settle and go grab some great players at bargain prices on 1-2 year deals.

Largent80

Reaction score
All a F.A. needs to see is Bennett returning, and saying the things he said and they will come a runnin' to the front door when they realize teams are not going to break the bank for them.

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":7cpi1fjo said:
Yup, the contract offered to Ware was kneejerk by the 48-8 drubbing and IMO, very stupid of Donkeyface.

We will sit this one out until the time is right and all of this movement settles down.

This plus a screwup by cutting Drummervill to get him from $12 / year to $8/year. That is $4million they are more than paying for now.......

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":2icfcy66 said:
I just want my uncomfortable feeling to go away. My preference of all the guys available is Allen, who is reported to really want a payday similar to what Ware got. Thanks, horse face.

I would say don't be uncomfortable. Seattle is well set up to reload these losses. And while it's hard to see because there is an element of unknown -- the fact is Seattle reserved a lot of these players for this particular purpose. Why on a team stacked with talent, did 7 of our 11 picks still remain with the team? Because they were good and are going to be the next guys to step up. Just like Maxwell and Lane.

I'm more excited to see the promise that Pete and John clearly saw when they opted to keep these guys. We let a lot of players with promise go and replaced some with vets. So obviously they didn't just keep them because we needed to fill space. These players were retained for a reason. And we're going to get to see that this year.

It's also a reason why selling the farm to get better early picks is in general a bad way to go. Because we're going to see this same kind of offseason every year if everything goes to plan. This system is going to require that we reload replaceable talent. That's going to mean getting a lot of unknown guys stepping up and being studs. To do that, we need quantity of picks. We already know that we have the eye for talent to turn those picks into quality players. We need to be comfortable with losing 4-7 guys a year and reloading them with unproven talent taken a year or two previously.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":88malkbo said:
lukerguy":88malkbo said:
dontbelikethat":88malkbo said:
Henry Melton please.
We need a LEO- Peppers, Allen, Smith, Philips DE types.

But it's Melton though :(

Dude has too much boom potential.

Do you mean bust potential, or are you referring to something else? :)

jblaze

Reaction score
What's wrong with Irvin at the LEO? I'm not sold on Irvin at LB and we need to get Smith on the field more.

Irvin/Avril/Bennett DE's, Bennett/Hatcher/McDaniel/Mebane at DT. Pretty good front 4 imo.

I do think JSPC will pick up another DE or two though, they covet pass rushers above all other positions it seems, especially in FA.

jblaze

Reaction score
Hawkalypse":ljx0c5j4 said:
I wonder if Chicago adding DE Willie Young ups our chances at picking up Allen.

I would bet Allen retires. He wants 10m a year and is threatening retirement if he doesn't get it. Guy is delusional and will stand on principle and retire as he's a head case.

lsheldon

Reaction score
I'm really liking where the team is sitting right now. Undoubtedly they have eyes on a few FA's, but are content letting other teams pay the huge contracts. Once the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a couple of guys that can help the organization on 1 year bargain deals. I can't believe all of the panic over the moves the organization has made so far. It makes for fun reading though, and I'm sure is giving other teams fans some material to talk about.

G-Money

Reaction score
Per Schefter

The #Redskins are stealing one from the #Cowboys. Sources say DL Jason Hatcher is signing in Washington

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm telling you guys.... Will Smith. 4.5 APY for 1-2 years- going to be a great signing.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":39py5wws said:
Hawkalypse":39py5wws said:

Not from me no.

Oh no...we have a bunch of Gollums coming in after the precious. :p

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: