Pass rusher market is right where JS wants it

joeshaney

Reaction score
Raiders, Broncos, Bears, and Hawks have been the team most linked to Allen.
You can cross Raiders and Broncos off that list, maybe Chicago too.
Certainly there will be other teams interested we don't know about, but it leaves the door open to the possibility.

drdiags

Reaction score
If Allen backs up his threat to retire if the market doesn't give him what he thinks he is worth ($12M according to Don Banks/BR), I just don't see how that is going to work.

According to overthecap.com http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Seahawks, the Seahawks sit today at $14M over the cap with the following players as its top earners over $2M/yr and only a few providing cap relief:

Player..................Cap Number........Cap Gain/Loss

Percy Harvin.........$13,400,000........($7,200,000)
Russell Okung........$11,240,000........$6,680,000
Cliff Avril................$9,250,000........$2,000,000
Zach Miller.............$7,000,000........$5,000,000
Marshawn Lynch.....$7,000,000........$4,000,000
Max Unger.............$6,100,000........$2,800,000

Kam Chancellor.......$5,825,000........($2,900,000)
Brandon Mebane.....$5,700,000........$5,300,000
Earl Thomas...........$5,473,212........$4,725,000

Michael Bennett......$4,000,000........($6,000,000)
Bruce Irvin.............$2,547,872........($69,292)
James Carpenter.....$2,431,387........$1,417,023

Year......Salaries.............Salary Cap..........Cap Room
2014......$121,216,807.....$135,866,540......$14,649,733

Besides Miller/Okung re-structuring or being cut (in Miller's case), Brandon Mebane could be sacrificed to bring in Allen. But why? To pay Allen and cut more folks, you may as well have kept Clemons.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
What makes Allen think he deserves over 10 million a year...is this guy serious. He is not elite anymore. For the most part the elite LTs always shut him down and I dont see that changing now that he is older.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":3uck4dlr said:
Last year, we saw a lot of big name pass rushers sit on the open market for a very long time. Osi Umenyiora, John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Shaun Phillips... they all took weeks or even months to sign with new teams, all of them for low prices. While guys like Bennett, Avril, and Kruger signed relatively quickly, once they were gone age bias reared it's ugly head and teams showed very little interest in signing over 30 pass rushers.

I think we are starting to see a slow down in 2014 as well, after most of the big names have signed big deals. Right now there are a ton of quality pass rushers nearing 30, at 30, or over 30. Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips, Jason Hatcher, LaMarr Woodley, with guys like Jason Worilds and Cameron Wake being rumored to be on the trade block.

Now, I'm not saying all of these guys fit Seattle, or that all of them are worth inquiring into, what I am saying is that there is a lot of supply right now for the entire league, and not a ton of demand. Think about how much harder Chicago would have fought us for Bennett if they didn't have Houston to fall back to? Of this group of guys, maybe, maybe Jared Allen gets a payday, but most of the rest probably will not. And GMs will use that to leverage favorable deals.

The biggest bargains in free agency always emerge when the initial wave of FA wears off. The fact that all of these options are still around is very encouraging, and if Jared Allen is bluffing about retirement, we might be able to get a premium pass rusher for a bargain deal. I figure with a list that long, at least one of those guys is going to fit a role Seattle can create, while accepting less money and contributing.

Just don't expect it to happen tomorrow. It could take weeks, but this is the kind of situation JS wants. I don't think JS would have released Clemons today without feeling very good about this situation.
Pretty much my feelings exactly.

We're letting the market come to us.

The hawks probably have a short list of which of those guys they want, and whoever wants to come here cheap gets to win a ring next year.

HawkStar22

Reaction score
Don't we have like a 3 million + roll over from last season?

So wouldn't our cap be at like 138.xxx.xxx

Leaving us with 17 million + on cap space.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
drdiags":p0tlrgpj said:
If Allen backs up his threat to retire if the market doesn't give him what he thinks he is worth ($12M according to Don Banks/BR), I just don't see how that is going to work.

According to overthecap.com http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Seahawks, the Seahawks sit today at $14M over the cap with the following players as its top earners over $2M/yr and only a few providing cap relief:

Player..................Cap Number........Cap Gain/Loss

Percy Harvin.........$13,400,000........($7,200,000)
Russell Okung........$11,240,000........$6,680,000
Cliff Avril................$9,250,000........$2,000,000
Zach Miller.............$7,000,000........$5,000,000
Marshawn Lynch.....$7,000,000........$4,000,000
Max Unger.............$6,100,000........$2,800,000

Kam Chancellor.......$5,825,000........($2,900,000)
Brandon Mebane.....$5,700,000........$5,300,000
Earl Thomas...........$5,473,212........$4,725,000

Michael Bennett......$4,000,000........($6,000,000)
Bruce Irvin.............$2,547,872........($69,292)
James Carpenter.....$2,431,387........$1,417,023

Year......Salaries.............Salary Cap..........Cap Room
2014......$121,216,807.....$135,866,540......$14,649,733

Besides Miller/Okung re-structuring or being cut (in Miller's case), Brandon Mebane could be sacrificed to bring in Allen. But why? To pay Allen and cut more folks, you may as well have kept Clemons.

Good god Irvin and Carpenter and Unger are way overpayed.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I would add Okung to the overpaid list about 3 or 4 million over imo.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3lkz778v said:
I would add Okung to the overpaid list about 3 or 4 million over imo.

Right. We should head out and find a marginally less expensive pro bowl left tackle..... Smh

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":24u1kpqb said:
Last year, we saw a lot of big name pass rushers sit on the open market for a very long time. Osi Umenyiora, John Abraham, Dwight Freeney, Shaun Phillips... they all took weeks or even months to sign with new teams, all of them for low prices. While guys like Bennett, Avril, and Kruger signed relatively quickly, once they were gone age bias reared it's ugly head and teams showed very little interest in signing over 30 pass rushers.

I think we are starting to see a slow down in 2014 as well, after most of the big names have signed big deals. Right now there are a ton of quality pass rushers nearing 30, at 30, or over 30. Jared Allen, Justin Tuck, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips, Jason Hatcher, LaMarr Woodley, with guys like Jason Worilds and Cameron Wake being rumored to be on the trade block.

Now, I'm not saying all of these guys fit Seattle, or that all of them are worth inquiring into, what I am saying is that there is a lot of supply right now for the entire league, and not a ton of demand. Think about how much harder Chicago would have fought us for Bennett if they didn't have Houston to fall back to? Of this group of guys, maybe, maybe Jared Allen gets a payday, but most of the rest probably will not. And GMs will use that to leverage favorable deals.

The biggest bargains in free agency always emerge when the initial wave of FA wears off. The fact that all of these options are still around is very encouraging, and if Jared Allen is bluffing about retirement, we might be able to get a premium pass rusher for a bargain deal. I figure with a list that long, at least one of those guys is going to fit a role Seattle can create, while accepting less money and contributing.

Just don't expect it to happen tomorrow. It could take weeks, but this is the kind of situation JS wants. I don't think JS would have released Clemons today without feeling very good about this situation.

How much do you think that the cap not really going up much last year, but taking a substantial jump up this year has had an effect on what pass rushers are getting paid? (last year the cap increased about 3 mil, this year at least 7 mil)

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I could see them being mostly done with free agency DL if they get Melton done. Move Bennett over to early down LEO. Melton (or another FA DT) at 3-tech, Mebane at nose, McDaniel at 5-tech. On passing downs, slide Bennett inside, Avril and Irvin (or Mayowa) off the edges, Melton/Hill/Scruggs as your remaining interior rusher.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
The pass rushing market sucks this year because there are a) so many teams with cap space that need to maintain at least the salary floor and b) there are so many people that want to get a stable of pass rushers to emulate the champs. Those two things are driving prices up.

What irritates me is that the WR market has been depressed as I thought it would be except for three people: Decker, Tate, and Andre Roberts. Roberts, okay, because the Pips are idiots, but man, I was hoping Decker and Tate would both have to get more like 4/20 than the 5/30+ contracts they got. With the former, Tate might still be here. Oh well.

Latest posts