Patriots In Yet Another Super Bowl

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mindsink":3q8sy2x6 said:
Sgt. Largent":3q8sy2x6 said:
WmHBonney":3q8sy2x6 said:
seahawkfreak":3q8sy2x6 said:
Late 80's Niners would put a beating on this team. Along with 86 Giants, late 80's Redskins and mid 80's Bears.

I disagree. The size/speed difference between today's teams and those teams from the 80s/90s is huge. "The Hogs" averaged 273lbs. That is nothing in today's game.

Depends on which era's rules you're using.

You gonna let Ronnie Lott and Charles Haley hit Brady and company? Or are they going to be flagged 20 times a game for breathing on the WR's wrong like today's rules?

I'd put Montana, Rice, Clark, Francis, Craig and that nasty defense with hall of famers all over it up against any team in history, especially the Patriots of today.

Brady may be the GOAT, but there's literally NO ONE else on the Pat's roster right now that'd even crack those Niner rosters.

It's really silly to compare eras. And your argument about rules would hold water the Patriots played by today's rules, and the 49ers played by 80s rules within the same game. And even then, the size and speed difference would be remarkable and I don't know if it would even matter.

And that's not even mentioning the evolution in coaching and schemes, as the west coast offense that was run by those 49ers would be very vanilla and easily out-schemed by any competent coach today.

Lol, we're not comparing the 1940's, the 80's and 90's weren't that long ago. Again, please tell me other than Brady, and maybe Gronk who on the current Patriot's team even cracks the starting roster for those Niner or Cowboy teams loaded with All Pro's and HOF'ers?

Those are the two most talented rosters in the history of the NFL, save for the Steelers in the 70's. Remember, there was no hard cap yet, so teams like the Niners and Cowboys knew how to manipulate the soft cap and stack their rosters and dominate. That's WHY the NFL and owners came up with the penalty of dead cap money, because of these two teams.

Mindsink

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17sep4zo said:
Lol, we're not comparing the 1940's, the 80's and 90's weren't that long ago. Again, please tell me other than Brady, and maybe Gronk who on the current Patriot's team even cracks the starting roster for those Niner or Cowboy teams loaded with All Pro's and HOF'ers?

Those are the two most talented rosters in the history of the NFL, save for the Steelers in the 70's. Remember, there was no hard cap yet, so teams like the Niners and Cowboys knew how to manipulate the soft cap and stack their rosters and dominate. That's WHY the NFL and owners came up with the penalty of dead cap money, because of these two teams.

"Not that long ago".

That means either...

1.) You don't think (or don't realize) that the great 49ers team you speak of were in their prime in the late 80s (which was about 30 years ago)

2.) You don't think 30 years is enough time for the evolution of athletes to reach any significant differences in size, speed, and strength.

Rewind the clock back to the late 80s, and you'd find it silly if someone told you that the great Green Back Packers teams from the 60s (which comparatively would be a less time span between eras) would be able to compete against Joe Montana & Co.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mindsink":61mz5q6j said:
That means either...

1.) You don't think (or don't realize) that the great 49ers team you speak of were in their prime in the late 80s (which was about 30 years ago)

2.) You don't think 30 years is enough time for the evolution of athletes to reach any significant differences in size, speed, and strength.

Nope, I don't.

Football is football, you throw, you run, you tackle, you scheme and you execute.............and you're telling me that arguably the greatest roster and coaches of all time wouldn't beat this Pat's team because "modern times."

Go down the rosters, there's not a huge size or speed difference. So I don't even know what you're talking about.

What I do know is Montana, Clark, Craig, Rice, Haley, Lott and company are some of the greatest players of all time, and most importantly the most clutch players of all time............and if you allowed them to play and hit like they did in the 80's? Not even close for me.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":28v5z05w said:
Mindsink":28v5z05w said:
That means either...

Nope, I don't.

Football is football, you throw, you run, you tackle, you scheme and you execute.............and you're telling me that arguably the greatest roster and coaches of all time wouldn't beat this Pat's team because "modern times."

Go down the rosters, there's not a huge size or speed difference. So I don't even know what you're talking about.

What I do know is Montana, Clark, Craig, Rice, Haley, Lott and company are some of the greatest players of all time, and most importantly the most clutch players of all time............and if you allowed them to play and hit like they did in the 80's? Not even close for me.

You could go on and on with the talent with that team. O-Line was ridiculous too. Harris Barton, Guy McIntyre, Bubba Paris and Jesse Sapolu. Those guys could easily play in todays era regardless of the rules.

253hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":aw7j97li said:
I'd put Montana, Rice, Clark, Francis, Craig and that nasty defense with hall of famers all over it up against any team in history, especially the Patriots of today.

Brady may be the GOAT, but there's literally NO ONE else on the Pat's roster right now that'd even crack those Niner rosters.

No doubt. 5 SB wins, all by the skin of their teeth in the waning moments with the help of poor strategy and/or execution by their opponent. They've never dominated anyone in the big game, not even close. 5 titles by a combined 19 points in games that could have gone either way. That's a little over half of what we beat Denver by. I mean good for them, but it just goes to show how much tougher the NFC is for them when they're not playing in that cakewalk division and conference over there.

XXXVII - 3 points, last minute FG
XXXVIII - 3 points, last minute FG
XXXIX - 3 points
XLIX - 4 points, last minute INT
XLI - 6 points, last minute TD and 2-pt XP to force OT

And it's not just them. Since 2003, every SB but one has been Brady, Ben, or Peyton. Flacco combo-breaking that one year which would have been another Peyton appearance. Get some competition already, AFC.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zm8jvfx said:
Mindsink":2zm8jvfx said:
That means either...

Nope, I don't.

It's always a mistake to evaluate the Patriots on the basis of individual talent. That said, they do have Brady the best QB of all time, Belichick the best HC of all time, Gronk the best TE of all time, and guys like Edelman-Amendola-McCourty-Hightower. In their past SB teams they had Moss, Dillon, Law, McGinest, Seymour, Wilfork, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Welker, and Samuel. I count 8 or 9 that would have started for the 49ers, plus the HC.
The 04-05 teams were among the greatest in history (back to back 17-2), not to mention the 07 team that went 18-1.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2og4eajq said:
Sgt. Largent":2og4eajq said:
Mindsink":2og4eajq said:
That means either...

Nope, I don't.

It's always a mistake to evaluate the Patriots on the basis of individual talent. That said, they do have Brady the best QB of all time, Belichick the best HC of all time, Gronk the best TE of all time, and guys like Edelman-Amendola-McCourty-Hightower. In their past SB teams they had Moss, Dillon, Law, McGinest, Seymour, Wilfork, Harrison, Bruschi, Vrabel, Welker, and Samuel. I count 8 or 9 that would have started for the 49ers, plus the HC.
The 04-05 teams were among the greatest in history (back to back 17-2), not to mention the 07 team that went 18-1.

I would give previous Patriot teams a better chance, especially the early title teams with Harrison, Law, McGinest, Seymour etc. VERY underrated defenses.

My opinion is strictly based on the past 3-4 years of Patriots teams, that I think while masterfully led by Brady and coached by Belichick, wouldn't stand a chance against the power teams of the Cowboys or Niners of the 80's and 90's.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rwyc54xm said:
50yrpatsfan":rwyc54xm said:
Sgt. Largent":rwyc54xm said:
Mindsink":rwyc54xm said:
That means either...

Nope, I don't.

I would give previous Patriot teams a better chance, especially the early title teams with Harrison, Law, McGinest, Seymour etc. VERY underrated defenses.

My opinion is strictly based on the past 3-4 years of Patriots teams, that I think while masterfully led by Brady and coached by Belichick, wouldn't stand a chance against the power teams of the Cowboys or Niners of the 80's and 90's.
You def could be right. These last few years have been an adventure each time, and a real turn-style of players. There's only about 11-12 players (incl special teams) left from the team that played the Hawks in the SB 3 years ago, none on the front 7 except Branch who hardly dresses now.

Maulbert

Reaction score
It's hard to talk shit about a team that has been to 9 Super Bowls and won 5 of them, but here's an interesting fact:

Patriots SB Record: 5-4
Patriots SB point differential: -38

Seahawks SB Record: 1-2
Seahawks SB point differential: +20

The Patriots are good, no denying that, but they're not a dominant team. Their most dominant SB win came against Philly, which they won 24-21 after the Eagles scored an oh-by-the-way touchdown with less than 2 minutes remaining to cut into the Patriots 10 point lead. Their wins have been by 3, 3, 3, 4, and 6. Meanwhile, that still doesn't make up for their 36 point loss to the Bears in '85. Add in their '96 loss to the Packers, and it's -50.

Exittium

Reaction score
I’m rooting for the eagles. PNW Kid from Spokane, I graduated and played football and track with him. He plays for the Eagles Bryan Braman. Kid was a physical freak in high school, not entirely fast but did damn good in all the field events for track.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
They have never dominated but they are even better they come back to win.
As a fan that dislikes them it makes it worse

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Maulbert":13cgzau6 said:
One more reason to root for the Eagles: the Seahawks would be the only team in the NFL to beat both of the last 2 Super Bowl champions the year they won it.

Who cares? That is a ridiculous stat. Hey we beat you in the regular season! But.... we watched the sb from our couch .

Palmegranite

Reaction score
It's not a ridiculous stat for the fans here that are absolute believers in this team. They can and will beat the best teams at any given time. It's unfortunate that they missed the playoffs with the same winning record as the Bills and Titans. But next year...