Per ESPN/Schefter, Hawks trade for OT Duane Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
raisethe3":17wqnbbw said:
Jazzhawk":17wqnbbw said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hawkblogger/status/925140139852021760[/tweet]

LOL! I didn't know Odhiambo was rank dead last. I knew he was bad, but I didn't know he was THAT bad.

Man, that's a good trade. But Brown's age worries me.
Seeing Russell constantly run didn't tell you "Odhiamblows" was that bad??!!

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/925151729469087745[/tweet]

General manager John Schneider confirmed that the Seahawks have agreed to a trade for left tackle Duane Brown but said it's not finalized. Schneider said the trade had been in the works for a while and that he'd been talking with the Texans since George Fant went down with a torn ACL in the preseason.
~Brady Henderson, ESP.com

Fade

Reaction score
The wheels fall off on LTs when they hit 35. Think of it like 30 for a RB. They can get 3 years out of him. It's worth it if they can get a 1.5 out of him and a Superbowl or 2.

This is a good move if he was 28 he wouldn't have been available at such a low price trade wise. CELEBRATE! going from worst LT in the League to the top half is an amazing upgrade.

Techno-party

ringless

Reaction score
9.7m cap hit next season at 33. That's pretty high risk move IMO. But I'm guessing this move was more of a short term in mind type regardless. Not a lot of linemen perform well past 33-34 as with most positions.

I guess time will tell as always if it's a good trade or not. Definitely high risk (age, contract, draft picks) high reward (top 10 tackle)

Seymour

Reaction score
Sweet mother Mary. They pulled it off!! This is how you help the run game, and the offense!

dillydilly.jpg

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Schneider confirmed that the team will also likely give Brown a contract extension beyond 2018 — when his current deal runs out — which will not only secure Brown’s long-term future in Seattle but also was necessary to make it work from a salary cap standpoint.

“We want him to finish his career here,” Schneider said of the 6-4, 305-pound Brown.

The 32-year-old Brown has played in 133 NFL games and would be viewed as a significant upgrade at the spot over Rees Odhaimbo, who has been the team’s starting left tackle all season taking over when George Fant suffered a season-ending knee injury in the preseason.

Schneider, in fact, said the Seahawks began talking to Houston shortly after Fant was injured Aug. 18 against Minnesota, which was when Brown was beginning a holdout in Houston in hopes of a new contract.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...ks-trade-for-houston-left-tackle-duane-brown/

kidhawk

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":2g5pj6n8 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/925148735868305408[/tweet]

Well I mean that's just the rules of the nfl he's quoting there. Of course supposedly the deal is agreed to but not finalized (as it's gotta fit under the cap to get approval by the NFL) so the talk about reworking that contract would make sense and it's something he won't talk about until it's done. I don't even think he can talk about it until all parties agree.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":36o78h10 said:
Sweet mother Mary. They pulled it off!! This is how you help the run game, and the offense!

dillydilly.jpg
Dilly, Dilly!!

May we no longer tour the Pit Of Misery when we are on offense.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Cap space?

PA just needs to hire him to do a few Microsoft commercials for 20-30 million.

Then he signs for whatever the Hawks need him to sign for.

That’s how it really works, right?

:{)

Fade

Reaction score
ringless":18mpg8i1 said:
9.7m cap hit next season at 33. That's pretty high risk move.

Continuing to play Odhiambo at LT and risking your franchise QBs career is an even riskier move. This had to be done.

The Seahawks couldn't continue to pay Russian Roulette with the franchise. Enough was enough.

$9.7M? Luke Joekel got $8M. That is cheap in the current market.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
This is a great trade.
Does the price we pay matter if we win the SB this year? I mean ...
We have all we need for another SB run this year. We have the defense. And yesterday we proved that we have the QB and recovers for a SB run. Even our maligned running game could be great, with decent O-Line play.
I said it before and I'll repeat it: Pete is going for it in 2017. This is his last season... After we win the SB, Pete will retire.
Our team is not built for next year. It is built for 2017. We all need to forget about next season. It is all about 2017.
We got one of the best LT in the game. Watch him open holes for our RB. Watch him give RW time to throw deep for PRich and Graham.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Fade":3h9aoy4m said:
ringless":3h9aoy4m said:

Continuing to play Odhiambo at LT and risking your franchise QBs career is an even riskier move. This had to be done.

The Seahawks couldn't continue to pay Russian Roulette with the franchise. Enough was enough.

Well said, good Sir.

:irishdrinkers:

mikeak

Reaction score
On the radio this morning (Mike &a Mike) they interviewed someone (sorry missed the first part so not sure who). He stated hat someone for Houston was sitting out because of the owners political views

Do we know if Brown sat out just to get more money?

renofox

Reaction score
Fade":1ycuxnhw said:
kidhawk":1ycuxnhw said:
I guess I still need to reiterate that trading Lane DOES NOT free up any cap space this year.
Not correct according to the salary cap calculator on overthecap.com

Seattle gains $1.5M in cap space by trading him. Go to 2017 -> Find Jeremy Lane and select trade transaction.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/seattle-seahawks/

I believe those calculations are dependent on being traded before season starts and player earns game checks:

(salary) 4,000,000 +
(this year's pro-rated signing bonus) 1,250,000 =
(this year's cap number) 5,250,000 -
(this year's dead money [from accelerated signing bonus] if traded) 3,750,000 =
(cap savings from trade before paying any salary) 1,500,000

Since we've already paid him games checks, his cap number for this year is now:

(payroll paid this year) 7/16 * 4,000,000 = 1,750,000 +
(this year's dead money [from accelerated signing bonus] if traded) 3,750,000 =
(this year's cap number after trade) 5,500,000

Now subtract

(this year's cap number before trade) 5,250,000

and we actually take a cap hit of 250,000 on this trade

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Damn he’s aged a year while I read this thread! Glad to have him on board though. I wonder if Russell restructures?

irfuben32

Reaction score
I can hardly comprehend the fact that we are going from Rhees Odiambo to Duane Brown.

I would estimate Rhees single handedly kills 3-4 drives a game

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Fade":7qilr87t said:
ringless":7qilr87t said:

Per quotes from JS they are working to re-structure and extend Brown's deal that will make it much more cap-friendly for this and next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts