OT Trent Brown to visit Seahawks on Thursday

nanomoz

Reaction score
The pass rushers in this draft are so good, and it seems like the Hawks are trying to make sure they're not in a position to take one early.

emurri

Reaction score
Signed back with Pats. I really wanted Hawks to get him. First round pick may be a tackle
I was hopeful as well. I wish they would get one of these deals done when they have the guy in the building. I really hope we go defense early because I am not sure any tackle will be worth the first pick. Plus, they seem to really, really suck at drafting o-line early.

PNW

Reaction score
Sadly based on history, we’ll trade down or reach way to high for someone not worth #9. We always try to get cute and trendy in the draft and it rarely works for us anymore

jammerhawk

Reaction score
You have to wonder if the FO can recognize when they are being played by players/agents, b/c yet again the player comes visits gets wined and dined, royal carpet treatment then signs elsewhere.

Either that or the negotiators for the team are trying to lowball every deal.

To me if the team is dumb enough to completely miss on available OTs then they’ll probably whiff on any of the elite pass rushers too.

Perhaps there is something major works but at present they sure are slow playing FA, and may simply once again strikeout.

Once again it appears the FO was used by a player and his agent for negotiating a deal with another team.

This was lost effort and may skew the rest of the offseason.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You have to wonder if the FO can recognize when they are being played by players/agents, b/c yet again the player comes visits gets wined and dined, royal carpet treatment then signs elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure Schneider is savvy enough to know that players and agents leverage contracts once multiple teams are interested.

Brown's a hell of a LT, but he's also missed a LOT of games over his career, it's why he's bounced around so much.

So my guess is Schneider wasn't enamored with overpaying for a LT who might be better than our own Duane Brown, but isn't half as dependable.......and if you're Trent Brown and the money and years are close? Where are you choosing to go? A team that's on the upside that you already know, or a team in a complete rebuild?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So why then isn't Duane brown re-signed, it's been 2 days now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So why then isn't Duane brown re-signed, it's been 2 days now.

They didn't resign Brown until September last year.

What's the hurry? Shouldn't we have the draft first considering there's 3-4 really good top prospects to evaluate still to see if they're worthy of a top 10 pick?

Not sure if you've noticed, but we're in the middle of a rebuild. So I'd rather see if we can get a LT for the next 10 years first before another band aid year with a 36 year old tackle who isn't a part of the team's future.

OP
OP
Hawknight

Hawknight

Reaction score
Signed back with Pats. I really wanted Hawks to get him. First round pick may be a tackle
Same here...doesn't sound like there are many options out there with tackles in free agency, at least from what I am reading.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to hold back a chunk of cap space to spend once bargains start becoming available after the draft? Think either a LT or pass rusher will be Seahawks choice at #9 depending on who goes ahead of them. In any case both will be addressed in the draft. Not sure depleting your cap space for a old injury prone player is the smartest thing to do right now.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed the team is supposedly rebuilding and I do keep a roster page so I'm pretty alert to what the team is doing personnel wise. Last year Brown was unhappy with his contract and wanted to renegotiate his deal or get a new deal but he was already under contract and could have been forced to play on it. However, the team did him a solid and gave him extra money on void year basis near the end of the preseason to keep him happy and that money is dead cap this season. He was not re-signed in Sept. last year his contract was just rejigged.

This year in the draft the pass rushers are going to be the best many seasons yet the team presently has neither a starting LT or RT, however the OTs in this draft are not considered by many to be that strong save the top two. As things are going the team may be forced to miss on the pass rushers and take a lesser OT b/c of need. I suppose it's arguable that there may be a potential RT on the roster already but that is debatable.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed the team is supposedly rebuilding and I do keep a roster page so I'm pretty alert to what the team is doing personnel wise. Last year Brown was unhappy with his contract and wanted to renegotiate his deal or get a new deal but he was already under contract and could have been forced to play on it. However, the team did him a solid and gave him extra money on void year basis near the end of the preseason to keep him happy and that money is dead cap this season. He was not re-signed in Sept. last year his contract was just rejigged.

This year in the draft the pass rushers are going to be the best many seasons yet the team presently has neither a starting LT or RT, however the OTs in this draft are not considered by many to be that strong save the top two. As things are going the team may be forced to miss on the pass rushers and take a lesser OT b/c of need. I suppose it's arguable that there may be a potential RT on the roster already but that is debatable.

We have a LOT of major needs.

- QB
- tackle
- CB
- D-line/edge rusher

All four are open for using the #9 pick on. If you acknowledge that we're in a rebuild, then using the 1st rounder on a tackle doesn't change whether Brown is signed or not.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Sure, somewhat obvious positional needs indeed. The QBs this draft are not well regarded league wise, there may only be one top CB this draft with others being able to fairly taken later. There seems to be only two OTs worth taking at pick 9 and both are likely to be taken very early. This leaves the deepest position of the draft, edge rushers, and it'd be a mistake to be forced to not pick one of them who could be a huge difference maker going forward.

However, to have to draft a T or a questionable QB instead of a top pass rusher when the opportunity might not be there for the next draft might be yet again a poor choice for the team to make when solidifying a position prior to the draft might remove the raw factor of absolute predictability and need. In the end I suppose we'll find this out in due course, meanwhile nothing much seems to be happening. If you look at the roster page the most obvious positional needs at present are DE and OT.

Maybe you should read the Seahawksdraftblog.com and listen to the draftniks assessments of the OTs and DEs.

Last edited: