Per Ian Rapaport; Anthony Davis Retires

chris98251

Reaction score
Anthony Davis ‏@BamDavis_ · 3h3 hours ago
I'll be back in a year or so.. I'll be 26 or 27 years old. Im taking this time to allow my Brain and Body time to heal and recoup.

Translation, when my rights are no longer the 49ers I will come back to the league.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
chris98251":sbpgyj94 said:
I'll be back in a year or so.. I'll be 26 or 27 years old. Im taking this time to allow my Brain and Body time to heal and recoup.

Translation, when my rights are no longer the 49ers I will come back to the league.

It would actually be pretty sweet to sign this guy a year or two from now, and then watch him become a Pro Bowler. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":n4b0xcl7 said:

Riiiight. LOL.

You guys are funny.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marvin49":3j55pven said:
chris98251":3j55pven said:

Riiiight. LOL.

You guys are funny.

$8.2 million in new dead money and a slow, 350 pound, rookie, former guard starting at RT.

Now THAT's funny.

Hqdefault

ringless

Reaction score
"Players are giving back millions of dollars not to play for the 49ers.

How sad."

Don't forget... Coaches wouldn't even take raises or promotions to coach their this offseason

ringless

Reaction score
hawknation2015":wkod2qsy said:
Marvin49":wkod2qsy said:
chris98251":wkod2qsy said:

Riiiight. LOL.

You guys are funny.

$8.2 million in new dead money and a slow, 350 pound, rookie, former guard starting at RT.

Now THAT's funny.

Hqdefault

How is that Dead money? I am confused? Isn't he paying back his signing bonus? Since he is quitting how is there any dead money? This I don't understand

@Jason_OTC: Davis' unearned signing bonus is $6,533,340, which should all be subject to forfeiture. Thats a giant amount #49ers
Read more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niner ... 7zBIehK.99

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":uqm1n84k said:
Marvin49":uqm1n84k said:
chris98251":uqm1n84k said:

Riiiight. LOL.

You guys are funny.

Now THAT's funny.

Hqdefault

Alex Boone isn't 350 lbs or a rookie.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think it really is 4.66 Million that is unearned as of now that he will have to pay back based on info from PFT.

Exittium

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1z7fsk52 said:
chris98251":1z7fsk52 said:

It would actually be pretty sweet to sign this guy a year or two from now, and then watch him become a Pro Bowler. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49":1z7fsk52 said:
chris98251":1z7fsk52 said:

Riiiight. LOL.

You guys are funny.

We are right after all, we did it with Michael Robinson in 2011 A year after being here ee became a pro bowler FB. So don't laugh to hard.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Exittium":pqscnduf said:
hawknation2015":pqscnduf said:
chris98251":pqscnduf said:

Marvin49":pqscnduf said:
chris98251":pqscnduf said:

Riiiight. LOL.

You guys are funny.

We are right after all, we did it with Michael Robinson in 2011 A year after being here ee became a pro bowler FB. So don't laugh to hard.

Was referring to the reference that players are retiring for a year so they don't have to play in SF.

Please.

Also, Robinson was released. He didn't retire.

Exittium

Reaction score
Marvin49":3sqp940j said:
Was referring to the reference that players are retiring for a year so they don't have to play in SF.

Please.

Also, Robinson was released. He didn't retire.

Was he with the 49ers before when he made the pro bowl. Nope. He chose to retire after he won a SB with the team that he got his Pro Bowler status and SB championship ring with, which is a fine time to retire. Rather than knowing the year is gong to be tough and bail on your teammates and then comeback when they don't own your rights. :stirthepot:

Jville

Reaction score
Last years Colin Kaepernick contract was a puzzlement for me. But, now it makes more sense. It looks as though Colin had a heads up when he agreed to a one year at a time contract. A voluntary commitment in 2014 beyond 2014 now looks like it would have been decidedly pointless.

Looks like this was a planned team massacre.

dontbelikethat":34uooff5 said:
900x900px-LL-8a545361_CGxHgThU8AAoLm2.png

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":hmt0mlkz said:
Last years Colin Kaepernick contract was a puzzlement for me. But, now it makes more sense. It looks as though Colin had a heads up when he agreed to a one year at a time contract. A voluntary commitment in 2014 beyond 2014 now looks like it would have been decidedly pointless.

Looks like this was a planned team massacre.

dontbelikethat":hmt0mlkz said:

What on earth are you talking about?

The one year outs are TEAM options, not player options.

Its been a BAD offseason...no way around that, but:

Crabtree was never coming back. That's why they signed Smith the the money Crabtree wanted.
Iupati was never coming back. That's why they took 2 OGs in the 3rd round LAST year.
Gore was unlikely to come back and the reason they took Hyde in the 2nd round last year.

The retirements aren't controlled by the team.

Outside of The coaches, there really isn't anything you can point to that makes the argument "planned team massacre"

BTW...

Jason Cole ‏@JasonPhilCole · 8m8 minutes ago
Primary reason for #49ers OL Anthony Davis retiring is, indeed, concussions, source said. Was out 4 games with one last season.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1zz94h8h said:
Marvin49":1zz94h8h said:
Alex Boone isn't 350 lbs or a rookie.

If that's the case, then hopefully that means we get to see more Looney or Marcus Martin. :stirthepot:

Very possible...and Brandon Thomas.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Oh...and BTW, as I understand it when the player retires, they remain "property" of the team they retired from. He can't just sit out a year and come back for another team.

Jville

Reaction score
Commitment by management to players. It appears to allude them.

Laloosh

Reaction score
It'll all be okay, Kaepernick has been working on his mechanics with Warner all off-season. Nothing to see here.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Jville":8rcvyrgh said:
Commitment by management to players. It appears to allude them.

uh....how exacty?

The didn't resign a 32 year old RB, a 10 mil per year guard, or a WR who wanted out.

The other guys retired.

Willis was under contract for several more years. So was Davis. Justin had at least another year. Borlands was going into his second year.

When a guy plays well, the team commits to them long term EARLY. Kap, Navorro, Staley, Willis, Anthony Davis, and many others...all players they signed long term EARLY.

Meanwhile, what's the status on Wilsons contract? Right.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":2wi4znj1 said:
It'll all be okay, Kaepernick has been working on his mechanics with Warner all off-season. Nothing to see here.

ahhh...lol. Don't be mean Laloosh. Its been a rough few months. :D