Percy Harvin the difference maker

HawkWow

Reaction score
drdiags":3b36ib2d said:
I just hope his football timing comes back. The play that knocked him out, I think he jumped too soon. You expect rust because it has been so long since he played a full game. It was really too bad the Vikings game didn't allow him to finish. Look at our division rivals with Crabtree. He was making some plays early but it took him awhile to get fully in-synch with the QB before they got back to their rhythm. And they had played a half-season together the prior year.

With no feel for one another, besides practice I am going to be surprised if he and Wilson are able to hook up more than just on dink and dunk pass plays. Even with Kearse, Baldwin and Tate, Wilson tends to throw passes they need to slow up for.

Totally agree and I'd be stoked if they just stayed with the "long handoffs".

Everyone praises Harvin's "incredible speed" but Harvin, IMO, is more quick than fast. One of the (few) raps on him was that he wasn't necessarily a 1 that stretches the field. To them I remind..so what? neither was Jerry Rice.

I was surprised to see us going deep to Harvin. It almost felt like it was something Harvin wanted, to show that he has that weapon in his arsenal. That ability / threat is definitely beneficial to the O, but IMO, we don't need that from him and as you suggest, his jump timing could leave him exposed to injury. It was popular to blame Ponder for the dinking and doinking (10 yards at a time) but hey...if it's not broke, why fix it? Lets just get him the ball and let him work. Wash, rinse, repeat, hand the ball to Marshawn. Hello Lombardi!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think his biggest impact will be on kick returns, particularly considering it isn't a strength for the Donkeys and also considering that the conditions are unlikely to allow for kicking out of the end zone.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkWow":3azf9ubw said:
His presence will make things so much easier on Wilson and subsequently Lynch. Hard to put an actual number on it, but offensively, with Harvin lingering around the LOS, eyes on Wilson, a D-man will have to commit full time to Harvin, and more times than not, one man is not enough to render him ineffective. IIRC, Ponder's average pass to Harvin was a measly 1 yard. Harvin, on average, gained 9 after that toss.

Tate and Baldwin are excellent blockers and I expect no less than that 10 YPC from Harvin in this offense. So if 100 yds of offense translates to 7 pts...and it typically does, for every 100 yds of offense, resulting directly from Harvin's presence, that's how many more points he's worth to the offense (and excluding ST play).

In accounting for Harvin, you won't be able to Spy Wilson. So it will open up the run for Wilson as well. Harvin will also be open very quickly, so that can and probably will negate any blitzes Denver brings (and they tend to blitz a lot).

HawkWow

Reaction score
Hawks46":19pq6m03 said:
HawkWow":19pq6m03 said:
His presence will make things so much easier on Wilson and subsequently Lynch. Hard to put an actual number on it, but offensively, with Harvin lingering around the LOS, eyes on Wilson, a D-man will have to commit full time to Harvin, and more times than not, one man is not enough to render him ineffective. IIRC, Ponder's average pass to Harvin was a measly 1 yard. Harvin, on average, gained 9 after that toss.

Tate and Baldwin are excellent blockers and I expect no less than that 10 YPC from Harvin in this offense. So if 100 yds of offense translates to 7 pts...and it typically does, for every 100 yds of offense, resulting directly from Harvin's presence, that's how many more points he's worth to the offense (and excluding ST play).

In accounting for Harvin, you won't be able to Spy Wilson. So it will open up the run for Wilson as well. Harvin will also be open very quickly, so that can and probably will negate any blitzes Denver brings (and they tend to blitz a lot).

Exactly. And conversely, there is no reason for Harvin to not kill it in this offense as the same can be said when covering him. Harvin didn't have this at Minnesota. He had AP, but Ponder more scrambled out of necessity (and confusion) than he did designed plays.

VERY tricky match up for defenses, especially when we start mixing things up. I want to see a play where we rest Lynch, then sneak Harvin wide while sending Tate / Baldwin to the slot. The D is definitely thinking pass...but instead we run what appeared to be the non-consequential Turbin on the draw. So many combinations of madness to be had.

I've intentionally cut Bevell slack until seeing what he does with a healthy Harvin at his disposal. OCs dream of such stuff. Go Hawks!

BlueThunder

Reaction score
All I know is that if I were a Denver Bronco fan, I would sleep much, MUCH better at night knowing he wasn't playing. He's gonna screw up their whole day! Oh, woe is them... :bitenails: :angry017:

:lol:

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
On Denver Broncos forums, everyone knows deep down that Percy Harvin is the only legitimate "X-Factor" in SB 48. And so, no one is talking about him.

There's almost no film on the guy, and no one wants to watch replays of his best moments in college or Minnesota. They're too frightening to watch.

I expect Harvin to have a HUGE impact on the game, even if he's just being used as a decoy 90% of the time. With Harvin back in the lineup, Wilson will finally have a legit deep threat. Denver will have to account for him on *every* play, and this should open up things for Lynch and for Wilson (if he ever decides to run the read-option again).

I just hope the Seattle coaches can draw up plays that keep him safe. There's no doubt in my mind that the Saints went into that last game with a "Super Secret" bounty on Harvin's head. The plan from the get-go was to take out Harvin with a hit to the head...which they did not once but TWICE.

Smellyman

Reaction score
HawkWow":26x1ql71 said:
drdiags":26x1ql71 said:
I just hope his football timing comes back. The play that knocked him out, I think he jumped too soon. You expect rust because it has been so long since he played a full game. It was really too bad the Vikings game didn't allow him to finish. Look at our division rivals with Crabtree. He was making some plays early but it took him awhile to get fully in-synch with the QB before they got back to their rhythm. And they had played a half-season together the prior year.

With no feel for one another, besides practice I am going to be surprised if he and Wilson are able to hook up more than just on dink and dunk pass plays. Even with Kearse, Baldwin and Tate, Wilson tends to throw passes they need to slow up for.

Everyone praises Harvin's "incredible speed" but Harvin, IMO, is more quick than fast. One of the (few) raps on him was that he wasn't necessarily a 1 that stretches the field. To them I remind..so what? neither was Jerry Rice.

I was surprised to see us going deep to Harvin. It almost felt like it was something Harvin wanted, to show that he has that weapon in his arsenal. That ability / threat is definitely beneficial to the O, but IMO, we don't need that from him and as you suggest, his jump timing could leave him exposed to injury. It was popular to blame Ponder for the dinking and doinking (10 yards at a time) but hey...if it's not broke, why fix it? Lets just get him the ball and let him work. Wash, rinse, repeat, hand the ball to Marshawn. Hello Lombardi!

Harvin is super quick and super fast. Those KO returns he has are incredible. easily pulls away leaving every pursuer in the dust by a loooong ways.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Smellyman":2s7ymirv said:
HawkWow":2s7ymirv said:
drdiags":2s7ymirv said:

Harvin is super quick and super fast. Those KO returns he has are incredible. easily pulls away leaving every pursuer in the dust by a loooong ways.

Thanks for the correction but it would have more substance if backed by some numbers...or even correct. By NFL WR standards, Harvin is not even fast, let alone "super fast". But as I said, he is quick.

Harvin ran a 4.5 at the combine and has 5 KOs returned for TDs out of 105 attempts. So someone's not getting left "in the dust by a loooooong ways". Harvin's a stud (when active), no need to embellish the matter.

mjwhitay

Reaction score
HawkWow":2lx8yvrs said:
Smellyman":2lx8yvrs said:
HawkWow":2lx8yvrs said:
drdiags":2lx8yvrs said:

Thanks for the correction but it would have more substance if backed by some numbers...or even correct. By NFL WR standards, Harvin is not even fast, let alone "super fast". But as I said, he is quick.

Harvin ran a 4.5 at the combine and has 5 KOs returned for TDs out of 105 attempts. So someone's not getting left "in the dust by a loooooong ways". Harvin's a stud (when active), no need to embellish the matter.

Uhhhhh. No. This is very much incorrect. There are maybe a handful of players in the league faster than Percy Harvin. He ran 4.41 art the combine and has been clocked at 4.32.

Just listen to his teammates and opponents. Someone asked Tate if he could take him in a 40...he said he wouldn't disrespect himself like that. Percy Harvin is sprinter fast.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Feel free to provide a link to the fastest men in the NFL. Some people say "fast" when meaning quick. People like yourself.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Harvin must be accounted for every time he is on the field. He will open up doors just being on the field just as he did against the Saints (see Beastmodes 1st TD run)

Smellyman

Reaction score
He also set four state track records during his junior year at Landstown High, winning five gold medals at the state finals in June 2005 including long jump, triple jump, 100-meters, 200-meters, and 400-meter relay.

10.4 100 meter in high school. As a junior. didn't compete in track his senior year.

dude is fast.

this all from the wiki. His speed is easily googled.

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
Harvin is the *only* legitimate "X-Factor" in the game. Denver does not have anything close to an X-Factor player. Trindon Holiday is always a risk to run back a kickoff, but the dude also already lost his punt return duties to Eric Decker since he can't hold on to the rock.

Decker is also a thread to run one back, but he's just as likely to trip over his own feet, which he's done on two separate occasions against San Diego.

I'd like to see the coaches use Harvin mostly as a decoy to start the game to see what Denver has in mind for him. But they need to minimize the chance of him getting klonked by a big hit early in the game.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Armchair Bronco":31ijhzwg said:

I'd like to see the coaches use Harvin mostly as a decoy to start the game to see what Denver has in mind for him. But they need to minimize the chance of him getting klonked by a big hit early in the game.

Yes, big time!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
All the speed in the world will be worthless if we find that the playing surface is frozen and slick. We may be using Marshawn more than most think. We may have winds that may make passing difficult.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
There is no doubt that Harvin will be a factor at some level. Just getting the ball in his hands against a defense like Denver's will have rewards to it.

If this thing turns into a shootout, Harvin can help put up points quickly, but frankly I would rather have the Hawks with long, wearing drives that use up a ton of clock with Manning on the sideline.

HawkWow

Reaction score
mjwhitay":3qixn97b said:
Uhhhhh. No. This is very much incorrect. There are maybe a handful of players in the league faster than Percy Harvin. He ran 4.41 art the combine and has been clocked at 4.32.

Just listen to his teammates and opponents. Someone asked Tate if he could take him in a 40...he said he wouldn't disrespect himself like that. Percy Harvin is sprinter fast.

You're shittin' me. Harvin is even faster than Tate? Dayuuuuum. Who knew?

Look, I made an accurate comment and wasn't looking for an argument...you are trying to make an argument but can only offer some "Tate says" BS and one (semi) official combine time...so let's run with your fact.

Your reported / admitted combine time for Harvin is 4.41. Do you realize no less than 20 players ran under 4.30 this year alone and 25 or 30 years ago, Darrell Green ran a 4.10?

With that, do you still contend Harvin is "sprinter fast" and "one of the fastest players in the NFL"? Or do you now think he might be "more quick than fast" as I originally stated?

Or perhaps, similar to the Smellyman HongKong guy, you are merely a troll, looking to start arguments without actual knowledge, facts or support?

getnasty

Reaction score
Watch Harvins highlights and you'll see he pulls away from people like no other, dude is extremely fast and quick. You both are correct.

HawkWow

Reaction score
You've got my man in your avatar so I don't want to be TOO much of a wiseass, but since you decided to jump on in.... do you feel like the scouts and combine officials are pretty much just wasting their time, or maybe just showing off, with all the watches, whistles, timers and stuff? I mean...wouldn't it be equally accurate to just watch the players run?

Before you know it, after giving Harvin huge props thru-out this thread, it will appear I am bashing Harvin and that is likely what at least one knucklehead hoped would happen. I'm not doing that. I'm stating facts.

"Fast" is measured in time. Period. Yes, Harvin is fast...compared to many. But there is a far cry more than a "handful" faster than Harvin and he does not have "sprinter speed".

Again, love your avatar. Glad we had this time together.