Percy Harvin the difference maker

Nearpost

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2x5ukkys said:
He will also affect the Bronco's score. Worse field position and less TOP.

For me this is Pete's opening move regarding the use of Harvin. keep Manning off the field by using Harvin to help Russell control the ball. Only if this strategy fails, will we see Harvin used more aggressively.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":2c28bijn said:
Percy ran the 100m at 10.69 in HS, now that's not quite world record 100m time, but its not far off, for reference Carl Lewis ran the 100m at 9.93 in Rome in 1987. I get that in a race like that .8 seconds is a decent margin, but seriously when you're talking less than 1 second you're literally splitting hairs. Percy is a fast dude that is also blessed with incredible balance and amazing agility. He's not a "stretch the field" WR because he's not Richard Sherman's height while still posting that 4.4 40 time.

Good post (rational). I don't want to beat this to death (too late, I know) but I never said he wasn't fast. Of course he's fast, but there are many faster. His quickness is what sets him apart and that is why he has been used in the capacity he has been used. It's his burst that makes him deadly.

As for size correlating with speed, Harvin is 5'11" Darrel Green was 5'9". Harvin ran a 4.41, Green ran a 4.10.

Nearpost

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1n940ov4 said:
All the speed in the world will be worthless if we find that the playing surface is frozen and slick. We may be using Marshawn more than most think. We may have winds that may make passing difficult.

Please correct me, but aren't we guaranteed a thawed out surface due to undersoil heating?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Giblien":1uli5nce said:
:lol:
Smellyman":1uli5nce said:
Russell Wilson is more tall than short

You win the internet. Congratulations.

Thanks for proving my point, smell. "Wilson is more tall than short"? Compared to the rest of the league's QBs?

Why not back that up with there's only a handful of QBs in the league taller than Wilson? Cuz that would be as true as your last statement.

You win the dunce cap. Congratulations.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
HawkWow":3hwwsj3q said:
Giblien":3hwwsj3q said:
Smellyman":3hwwsj3q said:

Thanks for proving my point, smell. "Wilson is more tall than short"? Compared to the rest of the league's QBs?

Why not back that up with there's only a handful of QBs in the league taller than Wilson? Cuz that would be as true as your last statement.

Everyone but you got the sarcasm........

HawkWow

Reaction score
Nearpost":6hfjx0vi said:
RichNhansom":6hfjx0vi said:
He will also affect the Bronco's score. Worse field position and less TOP.

For me this is Pete's opening move regarding the use of Harvin. keep Manning off the field by using Harvin to help Russell control the ball. Only if this strategy fails, will we see Harvin used more aggressively.

I see it playing out this same way. As I said earlier, I'd be most comfortable with the long handoff from Wilson to Harvin. And please Russ...if you see a man closing on Harvin...pull it down, throw it away or take the sack...hell, throw a pick 6 if necessary. I badly want to see Harvin play an entire game. As other suggest, it has to be worth 7- 10 pts.

Nearpost

Reaction score
Reading about what we will do and won't do with Percy Harvin on Sunday, has me a BUZZIN!

mjwhitay

Reaction score
HawkWow":2gq8xgpw said:
mjwhitay":2gq8xgpw said:
This is the some of the most ridiculous commentary I've seen regarding Harvin. WES WELKER is quick, not fast. Percy Harvin is both. You are as blind as Stevie F'n Wonder if you don't think so. I actually think that people with views like this aren't actually serious, they are just trying to start an argument. You succeeded.

You do know that 40 times are normally from the combine and that players Sometimes don't run as fast, or.... Wait for it..... Sometimes they run faster at the combine than they normally would, you know on an actual football field, with pads on and a football in your hand.

I can't embed videos, but if you watch this and don't think he's got elite speed, you're lying. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGg3OAY ... ata_player

Edited so I didn't double post...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75182

And all the proof you need. Our own Wee-Bay did all the work for me. Here's all you need to know about Percy Harvin's speed.

You, as I suggested earlier, are either a troll or (your posting) is none too bright. I've said it about 20 times now....Yes, Harvin is "fast" but not in the top "handful" of the leagues fastest, as you argued. My only comment, which was complimentary, was he is "more quick than fast" and the numbers prove as much. So again, either produce something that proves there "is only a handful of players faster than Harvin" and "Harvin has sprinter speed"...or STFU.

And to those that make the argument "Harvin has timed faster"....show me a single player that has not "timed faster" than his official times. Times recorded as faster than official timings are generally disregarded by anyone with any degree of intelligence because more times than not, the runner has benefitted from a running start and / or a harder track and possibly wind at the runner's back.

Again..Harvin is fast, yes, but he does not possess "sprinter speed" and there are several handfuls of players faster than Percy Harvin in the NFL. Disprove this with fact or you're trolling.

In closing...Why get so damned butt hurt because someone stated / proved that "while Harvin is fast...he is more quick than fast"?

Bored housewife syndrome, perhaps?

You didn't bother to open the link that completely thrashes your retarded theory that he is not fast. If you're gonna ignore the proof, than you're a troll. Congratulations

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Nearpost":zoml4rpu said:
Please correct me, but aren't we guaranteed a thawed out surface due to undersoil heating?
According to this article, http://nypost.com/2014/01/02/how-metlif ... -makeover/, the field will be covered with tarps with heaters blowing warm air underneath the tarps.

It didn't talk about underground heating so I'm guessing that the field is not so equipped.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1222rz9r said:
I don't really buy the decoy argument either, and I can guarantee you that's not how Carroll plans to use him. Denver's defense isn't going to adjust until they see Harvin make a play. After he makes a play, however, his mere presence does make a difference. We saw it in both games he played this season. Against Minnesota, after Harvin caught a pass and drew a PI, the safeties overcompensated on his routes and left the receiver next to him (Baldwin) with pure single coverage. Against New Orleans, Harvin took a fly-sweep for nine yards. On the next play, we faked a bubble screen to him and a Saints LB bit hard and left a huge hole for Lynch to run a 15-yard TD.

You just explained in this paragraph how he was used as a decoy, what don't you get?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":ywdzoo3u said:
All the speed in the world will be worthless if we find that the playing surface is frozen and slick.

Not entirely true. In fact guys like Harvin that can generate speed quickly north and south have an advantage because defenders won't be able to change direction quickly to stop him once he gets a head of steam going.

You saw this earlier this year when Shady McCoy had such a big game against Detroit in that terrible snowstorm game. Once he hit the hole it was impossible for the Detroit defenders to change direction and stop him. So Harvin could be VERY effective on a slick field.

HawkWow

Reaction score
XxxZagnutxxX":jp4smkxe said:
HawkWow":jp4smkxe said:
Giblien":jp4smkxe said:
Smellyman":jp4smkxe said:

Everyone but you got the sarcasm........

Apparently what you saw as "sarcastic", I saw as a stupid attempt at sarcasm. So please enlighten me on how his supposed sarcasm made sense in the context it was used?

Better yet, don't.

Nearpost

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1lozscyt said:
onanygivensunday":1lozscyt said:

It didn't talk about underground heating so I'm guessing that the field is not so equipped.
I believe that is correct.

I'm surprised. Not that I'm an expert.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
skater18000":1bo97i2z said:
How many points is Harvin worth if he plays vs. if he doesn't play. I believe we score 10 more points with him playing. So if we scored 23 on San Fran, I think we would've scored 33 on them. For this game against the broncos, if we didn't have him, I believe we'd score 27 points but with him playing I think we score 34 points.

How many points does Percy shift the game for you?
If he doesn't get some freak injury or concussion I figure 7-10 points.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Another X-factor I want to see is Russell establish the threat of the RO QB keeper early. I would not be surprised to see Denver completely sell out from the start to stop Lynch. Burn them a few times with Russell scrambling for 20 yards, then land right and left crosses to the jaw at will with Lynch and Percy. We all know Russell is always looking to pass before run, but him running wild on the RO is a legitimate weapon that Denver must be forced to respect.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
HawkWow":uw7qojkx said:
Navyhawkfan187":uw7qojkx said:
Percy ran the 100m at 10.69 in HS, now that's not quite world record 100m time, but its not far off, for reference Carl Lewis ran the 100m at 9.93 in Rome in 1987. I get that in a race like that .8 seconds is a decent margin, but seriously when you're talking less than 1 second you're literally splitting hairs. Percy is a fast dude that is also blessed with incredible balance and amazing agility. He's not a "stretch the field" WR because he's not Richard Sherman's height while still posting that 4.4 40 time.

Good post (rational). I don't want to beat this to death (too late, I know) but I never said he wasn't fast. Of course he's fast, but there are many faster. His quickness is what sets him apart and that is why he has been used in the capacity he has been used. It's his burst that makes him deadly.

As for size correlating with speed, Harvin is 5'11" Darrel Green was 5'9". Harvin ran a 4.41, Green ran a 4.10.

The size comment is more speaking to the preconceived notions that a "deep threat" WR needs to be a Randy Moss/Calvin Johnson clone. The fact that Percy is below average height for a #1 WR pigeonholes him as a "slot guy" regardless of weather or not he can burn a DB on a fly route and make a play on the ball 30yds down field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
bigDhawk":ferotqfn said:
Another X-factor I want to see is Russell establish the threat of the RO QB keeper early. I would not be surprised to see Denver completely sell out from the start to stop Lynch. Burn them a few times with Russell scrambling for 20 yards, then land right and left crosses to the jaw at will with Lynch and Percy. We all know Russell is always looking to pass before run, but him running wild on the RO is a legitimate weapon that Denver must be forced to respect.

That happened the first play against SF with not so good results.

But I hear what you're saying, without Miller I think Denver is ripe for the read option picking. The problem lately is Russell's been hesitant to keep the ball. I counted 4-5 times against the Saints that he could have kept the ball on the read and gained good yards.........but he handed it off to Lynch every time.