Percy Harvin the difference maker

mjwhitay

Reaction score
This is the some of the most ridiculous commentary I've seen regarding Harvin. WES WELKER is quick, not fast. Percy Harvin is both. You are as blind as Stevie F'n Wonder if you don't think so. I actually think that people with views like this aren't actually serious, they are just trying to start an argument. You succeeded.

You do know that 40 times are normally from the combine and that players Sometimes don't run as fast, or.... Wait for it..... Sometimes they run faster at the combine than they normally would, you know on an actual football field, with pads on and a football in your hand.

I can't embed videos, but if you watch this and don't think he's got elite speed, you're lying. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGg3OAY ... ata_player

Edited so I didn't double post...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75182

And all the proof you need. Our own Wee-Bay did all the work for me. Here's all you need to know about Percy Harvin's speed.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Percy ran the 100m at 10.69 in HS, now that's not quite world record 100m time, but its not far off, for reference Carl Lewis ran the 100m at 9.93 in Rome in 1987. I get that in a race like that .8 seconds is a decent margin, but seriously when you're talking less than 1 second you're literally splitting hairs. Percy is a fast dude that is also blessed with incredible balance and amazing agility. He's not a "stretch the field" WR because he's not Richard Sherman's height while still posting that 4.4 40 time.

rjas77

Reaction score
Stick 15 pounds of gear on Lewis and then compare him to harvin

Meedsy

Reaction score
I'm kind of baffled here. I don't know how you say Percy isn't fast. He has posted all kinds of "fast" times in 40's 100's 200's etc. The tape on him doesn't lie! Is he the fastest guy in the league? Probably not but there are not a lot of guys faster than him who possess his skill set. There may be faster straight line guys but I cannot think of many guys who can do what he does at the same speed.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
rjas77":1w8plfoy said:
Stick 15 pounds of gear on Lewis and then compare him to harvin

Pulling 100m track #'s for both guys is a fair comparison I would imagine, Percy didn't run 10.69 in full pads at a track meet...

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
When Harvin runs the deep route, he reminds me of Randy Moss.

When Harvin returns kicks or punts, he reminds me of Devin Hester.

Quick, fast, elusive, whatever! - the dude can flat-out RUN!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
All I know is when I watch Golden Tate I see somebody that is quick, but not overly fast. When I watch Harvin I see both quickness and speed. There has to be a reason why defensive players say that if you allow Percy to get behind you the rest is history. I'm sure they could care less about a combine number when he is leaving them in his vapor trail.

Inspector

Reaction score
Percy has a quick 40 time... But his 200 meter time was stellar. This leads me to believe he has a very high top speed.

The quickest guy on the team may be Lockette. He ran 4.34 in the combine. Easy to believe when you watch him decapitate guys on kick returns. He's 6' 02" 211 lbs of human missile. I've actually been picturing him as a converted LOB member. He's an inch shorter than Kam, weighs 10 lbs less and is quicker than Kam. Kam runs a 4.62. Just for the record, Sherm ran 4.54 but I think he has more high end speed than some others.

Harvin's official combine time was 4.41 (although he has been timed quicker than that) and Tates' was 4.42. Tate is a thicker dude and hits harder. Earl Thomas rand a 4.43. Coincidentally, Tate and Thomas are both 5'10 202 lbs. If they hit each other the clink might crumble. Baldwin is right there with Percy size wise and ran a low of 4.42.

Maxwell runs a 4.43. He's 6'01 207 lbs. Christine Micheal ran a low of 4.38. Lynch is low 4.4 I believe.

Bottom line is... I would be willing to bet we have the quickest team in the game with arguably the fastest top speed receiver. We have a whole lotta guys that are below 4.5 in the 40, and a few big dudes that aren't far from 4.5.

God help Denver. They are facing a team full of cruise missiles.

Edit: Add Kearse (4.43) and Willson (4.47) to the sub 4.5 second 40 yard time club.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
skater18000":33kym643 said:
How many points is Harvin worth if he plays vs. if he doesn't play. I believe we score 10 more points with him playing. So if we scored 23 on San Fran, I think we would've scored 33 on them. For this game against the broncos, if we didn't have him, I believe we'd score 27 points but with him playing I think we score 34 points.

How many points does Percy shift the game for you?

Good question..........and one I'm not really sure any of us can answer since we still don't know how effective he will be. Other than kickoffs I'm not sure he's going to contribute a whole lot.

I'm just glad he's going to be on the field, because it changes the way Denver has to play defense. Everyone hating on the Hawks is pointing to the Arizona game as to the "magic formula" to beat the Hawks. Sorry people, but with Harvin on the field Denver's sorry ass DB's aren't going to be able to press cover and bully our WR's like Arizona's far superior DB's did........cause they don't want to risk Harvin getting behind them.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Anyone who was around Harvin at Florida would laugh at his 4.4 time at the combine. He's been timed much faster and it shows on tape. There is no way harvin and Tate have the same 40 time. Tate even commented on his speed recently saying Harvin blows everyone away.

Anyone arguing Harvin isn't fast is probably trolling....

Inspector

Reaction score
Yes and I stated that Percy has been timed quicker in the 40. His 200 meter time in 2005 was 21.19 100 in 10.43.

Lockette ran the 200 in 20.63 in 2009 and the 100 in 10.28. He also placed 1st in the high jump that year in the SIAC championship.

Both these guys are in the very fastest of the fast group in the NFL.

Omaha

Reaction score
Given his bouts with injuries (ankle, hip, concussion, etc), I would think Harvin would have lost some speed and would expect Lockette to be the faster currently.

To the question on how he would affect the game for the broncos, dont think it will change much. DRC, Carter, and Webster have genuine speed to keep up with fast WR. Bailey and Jammer are the slower duo, and would expect them to get safety help if matched with a faster WR. I think schemes and techniques are often more important in coverage than pure speed.

Denver typically plays man coverage: DRC as RCB, Bailey in the slot and Carter/Webster (normally Harris but likely Webster cos of Lynch) as LCB. Dont expect to see Percy in the slot much as that would expose him to possibly a big hit from one of the safeties (particularly if Nacho is back there).

Denver's secondary is actually better than they seem on paper. They play well in man-coverage but struggle with zone. Unfortunately Del Rio seems to always have an irresistible urge to switch to zone whenever we have a decent lead on the opposition. This typically results in big plays for the opposition, letting them back into the game and making games closer than they should be. Once the opposition closes, we tend to switch back to man-coverage to close the game out.

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
Omaha":34ovy1vp said:
Given his bouts with injuries (ankle, hip, concussion, etc), I would think Harvin would have lost some speed and would expect Lockette to be the faster currently.

To the question on how he would affect the game for the broncos, dont think it will change much. DRC, Carter, and Webster have genuine speed to keep up with fast WR. Bailey and Jammer are the slower duo, and would expect them to get safety help if matched with a faster WR. I think schemes and techniques are often more important in coverage than pure speed.

Denver typically plays man coverage: DRC as RCB, Bailey in the slot and Carter/Webster (normally Harris but likely Webster cos of Lynch) as LCB. Dont expect to see Percy in the slot much as that would expose him to possibly a big hit from one of the safeties (particularly if Nacho is back there).

Denver's secondary is actually better than they seem on paper. They play well in man-coverage but struggle with zone. Unfortunately Del Rio seems to always have an irresistible urge to switch to zone whenever we have a decent lead on the opposition. This typically results in big plays for the opposition, letting them back into the game and making games closer than they should be. Once the opposition closes, we tend to switch back to man-coverage to close the game out.

Teams always say Percy won't be a factor and they seem to be wrong most of the time. 40 times don't paint the whole picture and he doesn't need the ball to be effective.

Kixkahn

Reaction score
Even if he doesn't make alot of catches he will be useful as a decoy. They have to watch out for him and therefore must spread their defense and not focus on one or two players. We have several weapons on our offense that just quietly do their job.

Omaha

Reaction score
I dont get the decoy argument.

Harvin on the field, means someone else is off the field and unless he commands a double team, I dont see how it changes anything for Denver who like to play man-coverage. Any WR at this level is good enough to make a play if left wide open.

Of course, if Harvin comes on and burns us on 1 or more key plays, then we might have to adjust the scheme and help/double him, but doubt any team will go into the super bowl planning to double a WR coming off an injury plagued season and recent concussion. Until he proves himself more effective, he will see the same man coverage like any other WR.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Omaha":3w1wyqrz said:

Harvin on the field, means someone else is off the field and unless he commands a double team, I dont see how it changes anything for Denver who like to play man-coverage. Any WR at this level is good enough to make a play if left wide open.

Of course, if Harvin comes on and burns us on 1 or more key plays, then we might have to adjust the scheme and help/double him, but doubt any team will go into the super bowl planning to double a WR coming off an injury plagued season and recent concussion. Until he proves himself more effective, he will see the same man coverage like any other WR.

Do this. Pray your safety gets there in time. This thinking easily gets Seattle 7 points, if Wilson hits Harvin in stride.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I don't really buy the decoy argument either, and I can guarantee you that's not how Carroll plans to use him. Denver's defense isn't going to adjust until they see Harvin make a play. After he makes a play, however, his mere presence does make a difference. We saw it in both games he played this season. Against Minnesota, after Harvin caught a pass and drew a PI, the safeties overcompensated on his routes and left the receiver next to him (Baldwin) with pure single coverage. Against New Orleans, Harvin took a fly-sweep for nine yards. On the next play, we faked a bubble screen to him and a Saints LB bit hard and left a huge hole for Lynch to run a 15-yard TD.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
Omaha":2sbuvinp said:

Because if Percy is on the field, a safety WILL cheat towards him, he will be the guy drawing the double coverage out of respect for his ability to go 60yds in a flash with the ball in his hands. NO cheated towards Percy and it opened Marshawn Lynch for his first TD, and that was on a running play...

HawkWow

Reaction score
mjwhitay":2a0y1l3s said:
This is the some of the most ridiculous commentary I've seen regarding Harvin. WES WELKER is quick, not fast. Percy Harvin is both. You are as blind as Stevie F'n Wonder if you don't think so. I actually think that people with views like this aren't actually serious, they are just trying to start an argument. You succeeded.

You do know that 40 times are normally from the combine and that players Sometimes don't run as fast, or.... Wait for it..... Sometimes they run faster at the combine than they normally would, you know on an actual football field, with pads on and a football in your hand.

I can't embed videos, but if you watch this and don't think he's got elite speed, you're lying. Period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGg3OAY ... ata_player

Edited so I didn't double post...

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75182

And all the proof you need. Our own Wee-Bay did all the work for me. Here's all you need to know about Percy Harvin's speed.

You, as I suggested earlier, are either a troll or (your posting) is none too bright. I've said it about 20 times now....Yes, Harvin is "fast" but not in the top "handful" of the leagues fastest, as you argued. My only comment, which was complimentary, was he is "more quick than fast" and the numbers prove as much. So again, either produce something that proves there "is only a handful of players faster than Harvin" and "Harvin has sprinter speed"...or STFU.

And to those that make the argument "Harvin has timed faster"....show me a single player that has not "timed faster" than his official times. Times recorded as faster than official timings are generally disregarded by anyone with any degree of intelligence because more times than not, the runner has benefitted from a running start and / or a harder track and possibly wind at the runner's back.

Again..Harvin is fast, yes, but he does not possess "sprinter speed" and there are several handfuls of players faster than Percy Harvin in the NFL. Disprove this with fact or you're trolling.

In closing...Why get so damned butt hurt because someone stated / proved that "while Harvin is fast...he is more quick than fast"?

Bored housewife syndrome, perhaps?