Pete Carroll

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":1er8fmik said:
sc85sis":1er8fmik said:
Calling for him to be fired and saying the game had passed him by was wrong. Disparagingly referring to “Pete Ball” was wrong.
This isn't what people are referring to as "Pete Ball". Pete ball an offensive philosophy that ignored the short and immediate routes for low percentage long balls. That is what we played since 2015. This brand of football is distinctly different from even our Super Bowl winning ball. Lot of under the center running/passing, and motion that wasn't there before before. Our usage of TE's has also been completely different under Schottenheimer. We're also using a lot more short routes. Our offense is starting to look much different than anything under Bevell or Bates. I wonder if more control was given to Schottenheimer?

The thing with Pete that you always have to look out for though is a regression to the mean. Carroll always has the tendency to go back to the fk it im going deep sort of offense. His deal is he just needs to stay out of the offense and let his offensive coordinator handle things. When he does that we're fine, when he interferes we can't get out of our own way. Most people don't mind a run dominated offense, what they do mind is a passing game that ignores everything but one aspect, an offense that lacks nuance. That isn't this offense right now.

Our Super Bowl winning football didn't use low-percentage deep balls?

Okay. :roll:

My big angle on the whole thing was that if Pete doesn't have the horses to run his play style, he should try a different play style. What changed was, he got the horses. He went out and got Brown, Fluker, and Sweezy. He hired Schottenheimer to capitalize on Wilson's play-action prowess. He ensured a RB presence by keeping Carson and Davis while drafting Penny. He found David Moore.

If you've got that kind of talent on the O, you should run the ball.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Pete is a sloppy coach. His teams are going to commit dumb penalties, they are predictable. But they play rough football and win most of the time. The only black mark on his tenure is keeping Tom Cable.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2uln5kjw said:
Lets be honest though...

Pete has returned to what brought him early success. The last couple years were ragged and inconsistent.

Detractors weren't wrong, maybe just a bit too impatient to give Pete the chance to change

I'm not sure how much of the ragged play in the last few years can be attributed to Pete. He's the coach so the buck stops with him, but as one ex Seaahwk coach used to say, you play the hand you were dealt. I was struck watching the game today when they put up the list of running backs we've gone through since Marshawn left. Add the terrible Oline play and you get a ragged few seasons. And yes, Pete and the coaches put that team together and are responsible for that, but I wonder how many other coaches squeeze out getting to the playoffs and then 9 and 7 with those players?

Not giving Pete a pass, just laying out the extenuating circumstances he had to overcome, while recognizing he put some of the roadblocks in his own way.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2545876t said:
Spin Doctor":2545876t said:
sc85sis":2545876t said:
Calling for him to be fired and saying the game had passed him by was wrong. Disparagingly referring to “Pete Ball” was wrong.
This isn't what people are referring to as "Pete Ball". Pete ball an offensive philosophy that ignored the short and immediate routes for low percentage long balls. That is what we played since 2015. This brand of football is distinctly different from even our Super Bowl winning ball. Lot of under the center running/passing, and motion that wasn't there before before. Our usage of TE's has also been completely different under Schottenheimer. We're also using a lot more short routes. Our offense is starting to look much different than anything under Bevell or Bates. I wonder if more control was given to Schottenheimer?

The thing with Pete that you always have to look out for though is a regression to the mean. Carroll always has the tendency to go back to the fk it im going deep sort of offense. His deal is he just needs to stay out of the offense and let his offensive coordinator handle things. When he does that we're fine, when he interferes we can't get out of our own way. Most people don't mind a run dominated offense, what they do mind is a passing game that ignores everything but one aspect, an offense that lacks nuance. That isn't this offense right now.

My big angle on the whole thing was that if Pete doesn't have the horses to run his play style, he should try a different play style. What changed was, he got the horses. He went out and got Brown, Fluker, and Sweezy. He hired Schottenheimer to capitalize on Wilson's play-action prowess. He ensured a RB presence by keeping Carson and Davis while drafting Penny. He found David Moore.

I remember Baldwins catches against the 9ers, Broncos and the next year the Packers. Or chris matthews against the patriots. And sure looked like Wilson threw some up today.

If anything, "Pete Ball" has just returned to more balance.

chris98251

Reaction score
They had a huge amount of question marks coming into this season, Pete sticking his nose in the offense was a problem, Cables system and coaching was a problem, Bevell's play calling and noodle back bone was a problem. Pissed off players due to the previous issues were a problem, Letting pissed of players go was looked at as a problem due to who would be replacing them then we had injured players, not just injured but career ending injured players.

Just about every one of those problems have been fixed with maybe the exception of the depth we have, that will come. With all those issues and changes and where we are and what we have shown how can anyone say we have a Front Office or head coaching issue ?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1m16gmyn said:
Spin Doctor":1m16gmyn said:
sc85sis":1m16gmyn said:

Yes our Super Bowl team did, notice how I said that we haven't played this style of offense since our Super Bowl year? We also kept the chains moving during that season with high percentage passes. What changed is we became a pass heavy offense. Yes we attacked the Lions deep a few times today, but notice how we also had a bunch of short passes as well. Pete has the tendency to want to attack the defenses deep without building up to it. He also has the tendency to abandon the run at times. THAT is what people were calling Pete ball. What we saw against the Denver Broncos.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
I've been a Pete "hater" and was pleasantly surprised by this win. I didn't think that the Oakland win meant all that much but going on the road to win a 10 am game against a decent Lions team is impressive. I hope that I have to eat crow. BUT this idea that fans can't criticize this coaching staff is ridiculous. Pete and John have made a bunch of mistakes, mistakes that prevented this team from being a dynasty. Let's see how things go this season. I really hope that we keep on playing the way we're playing and that we have a great season. But there are a lot of legit criticisms of this team that people expressed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2uzkatel said:
MontanaHawk05":2uzkatel said:
Spin Doctor":2uzkatel said:
sc85sis":2uzkatel said:

Yes our Super Bowl team did, notice how I said that we haven't played this style of offense since our Super Bowl year? We also kept the chains moving during that season with high percentage passes. What changed is we became a pass heavy offense. Yes we attacked the Lions deep a few times today, but notice how we also had a bunch of short passes as well. Pete has the tendency to want to attack the defenses deep without building up to it. He also has the tendency to abandon the run at times. THAT is what people were calling Pete ball. What we saw against the Denver Broncos.

You say Pete but I think it was a lot of Bevell wanting a Harvin Rice type offense, they went for a lot of deep balls there also and got away with it. We have pointed out the inept ability of Bevells route trees over the years and the dependency of the bubble screen all the time. Schotty has the Coryell passing tree and use of TE's in his offense, that sets things up much better since there are many options they have to be ready for.

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2bptlb7g said:
Spin Doctor":2bptlb7g said:
sc85sis":2bptlb7g said:

100% this.

You want to pound the ball yet you put projects everywhere.

Not getting the horses and drinking the cable kool aid (the two were inextricably intertwined) when your entire plan is rushing and play action was all Pete and a huge Achilles heel.

When he gets an actual OL coach and players his desired offensive identity is right back to working.

His defensive coaching has always been a strength.

justafan

Reaction score
Pete gets a free pass for life from me.I hope he goes out on his terms. His team came out competitive from the first game of the year and I love the type of football he coaches. Win or lose his team plays hard for him.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah blah, blah blah blah! Blahhhhhhhhhhh.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Is Pete's coaching improved or is Russ clicking more with the offensive scheme via the new coordinator?

Pete still has his faults, we all do, but he also deserves credit for putting in people (finally!) who appear to be getting it done.

If we make the playoffs, Pete deserves even more credit for turning around a somewhat sinking ship and I'll be among the first to say it.

Until then lets enjoy the victories.

GO HAWKS!

chris98251

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1f1n5n21 said:
Is Pete's coaching improved or is Russ clicking more with the offensive scheme via the new coordinator?

Pete still has his faults, we all do, but he also deserves credit for putting in people (finally!) who appear to be getting it done.

If we make the playoffs, Pete deserves even more credit for turning around a somewhat sinking ship and I'll be among the first to say it.

GO HAWKS!

Pete maybe not over coaching as in getting his nose into the offense, Wilson feeling more comfortable and "TRUSTING" Schotty's calls and scheme is a big thing also I think and knowing it much better now.

Also Pete trusting Schotty's calls helps him keep his nose out of things also.

Petes biggest success was addition by subtraction this year, his replacments have shown it may not have been talent but the use and schemes that talent was put in.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":1qorie60 said:
semiahmoo":1qorie60 said:

GO HAWKS!

Pete maybe not over coaching as in getting his nose into the offense, Wilson feeling more comfortable and "TRUSTING" Schotty's calls and scheme is a big thing also I think and knowing it much better now.

Also Pete trusting Schotty's calls helps him keep his nose out of things also.

Petes biggest success was addition by subtraction this year, his replacments have shown it may not have been talent but the use and schemes that talent was put in.

Again, well said.

warden

Reaction score
semiahmoo":oy01b1r7 said:

GO HAWKS!

The additions of Sweezy, Flucker and a blocking TE are having a huge impact on the teams success.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":yq0ikszq said:
Dumb post, he was part of the problem, and he finally took himself out of the offensive game play and now were winning again. Problem is, it took him 3 years to figure out he wasn't the guy that should be in that position. He's good at defense and good at playing with an offense that runs the ball, same thing when we were the best team in the league.

Glad he figured it out but it shouldn't have taken this long honestly.

Which player or coach are you again?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's simple really. Pete thrives in a "Compete" philosophy with young players. It's effective to them because they are young and hungry. When you deal with the elders in the NFL like the Shermans and Bennetts of the world, they have heard the same messaging so they tend to ignore it and even mock it as we found out.

That's not on Pete, that's on them. I love what those two gave us as players in their prime but their comments after they left showed their true characters as human beings and for that I am sad for them. I will celebrate them as Seahawks and Ring of Honor recipients perhaps but I will never like how they acted when they left the team. Ever.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, as bad as things were looking after going 0-2, Pete has proven yet again that he's one hell of a coach and motivator.

Latest posts