Pete Carroll

kf3339

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1ho3tqhq said:
Thunderhawk":1ho3tqhq said:
I thought the game had passed Pete by? I thought he lost the locker room? I thought his style no longer translated to the wide open modern NFL?

You guys sure are quiet now. What a surprise.

Pete has overcome injuries, massive roster turnover, young inexperienced players, while also integrating new coordinators and their schemes. He has taken a beat up roster of castoffs, late round picks, and young players and got them playing hard and fast. If he can get this squad to the playoffs he deserves Coach of the Year...

...and yet you wanted him fired.

Dumb post, he was part of the problem, and he finally took himself out of the offensive game play and now were winning again. Problem is, it took him 3 years to figure out he wasn't the guy that should be in that position. He's good at defense and good at playing with an offense that runs the ball, same thing when we were the best team in the league.

Glad he figured it out but it shouldn't have taken this long honestly.

^ This.

Any fault on PC for the last three years was completely legitimate in my eyes. He refused to hold his coaches accountable for their mistakes, and kept them for far too long. Anyone who complained had that right.

Now he realized his mistakes and has hopefully corrected in time for another potential run. We will see. It's looking real good, but we are just under half way thru this season. I am optimistic, but there is still a lot of football left.

mistaowen

Reaction score
There is no arguing the offense was trending down for a few seasons and kept alive by a historic defense (Pete's strength). The long ball stopped working when defenses didn't have to worry about play action and would only hit once in awhile. This led to the insanely frustrating 3 and outs, 3rd and 8+s, struggling to break 100 yards in a half with occasional wizard Russell plays. Chris Carson is the first RB to break 400 yards in what, 2-3 seasons? For a team who wanted to be smash mouth, ball control, + toxic differential that certainly wouldn't cut it.

However, Pete did the right thing this year blowing up the roster/coaching staff and getting the horses he needs to run his style. Anyone who thought the game passed him by was mistaken and was quite the overreaction considering the team missed 10 wins last year (possibly 1-2 more) by a kicker. The style was a mix-mash of power run and spread personnel and they couldn't figure out what they wanted to do. It honestly seemed like there were 2 different schemes being run, alternating every drive. The addition of Sweezy, Brown and Fluker have been amazing (and Solari, FU Cable), I swear those guys have been smashing defensive linemen before they know the ball is snapped. Britt has also developed into a terrific C and Carson looks to be a 1400 yard RB.

It was silly to think the team would come out firing with all the roster turnover and it is a credit to him and the coaching staff to get these guys cruising already. Pete's style works, proven to keep them competitive in every game, and only Belichick has had the same success over extended periods during this era. Happy to watch him ride out his coaching career with the Seahawks til he wants to hang it up.

Fade

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3jqz76qb said:
I thought the game had passed Pete by? I thought he lost the locker room? I thought his style no longer translated to the wide open modern NFL?

Pete has overcome injuries, massive roster turnover, young inexperienced players, while also integrating new coordinators and their schemes. He has taken a beat up roster of castoffs, late round picks, and young players and got them playing hard and fast. If he can get this squad to the playoffs he deserves Coach of the Year...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/status/1056647627050106880[/tweet]

Fans had the right to be disgusted with the start of this season as Pete was too with himself. Also too when paired with the context of how the team had looked on offense the previous 2 seasons, and it makes sense why the thought of "fire Pete" was starting to percolate.

I myself only wanted him fired if the downward trend of the previous few seasons was still continuing by the end of the year, as it appeared to be heading that way.

Pete turned it around. Pete agrees with me, the start of the season was unacceptable. The criticism was warranted.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good post Fade. Nailed the combination of poor start and downward trends of the previous seasons.

Credit to PC for turning it around. I see some are saying it's as easy as getting out of his own way, but I imagine that had to be difficult after being let down by Bevell and Cable for so long.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Fade":2wzh1fbe said:
Thunderhawk":2wzh1fbe said:

Fans had the right to be disgusted with the start of this season as Pete was too with himself. Also too when paired with the context of how the team had looked on offense the previous 2 seasons, and it makes sense why the thought of "fire Pete" was starting to percolate.

I myself only wanted him fired if the downward trend of the previous few seasons was still continuing by the end of the year, as it appeared to be heading that way.

Pete turned it around. Pete agrees with me, the start of the season was unacceptable. The criticism was warranted.
So losing two games on the road by a combined 10 points against decent football teams when we were injured, installing new schemes, and adjusting to new personnel is enough to demand that one of the best coaches in football history be fired? Does proven championship success not matter? Does massive roster turnover not matter? Do injuries and holdouts not matter? We didn't lose those games by double digits. We were competitive despite all the challenges.

Context is your friend.

The reamaining schedule is brutal and we still have a roster in flux so we're going to drop a few more games. No doubt the haters will enjoy their schadenfreude, but Carroll is gradually rebuilding the beast and I'm excited.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Fade":38eizw4v said:
Thunderhawk":38eizw4v said:

Yes Pete surely was ready to fire himself after those first two games.

There is being critical, i.e. pointing out the play calling as a problem and then there is being hell bent on putting the coach on a stake and burning him a la the Salem Witch Trials. Most of the downer crowd went far beyond being ticked at the play calling and were all ready to string Pete and John up.

The "unless he turns things around" narrative is a convenient out as most of the posts I read were convinced he was incapable of turning things around. Some revisionist history is taking place here.

But lose to the Chargers on Sunday and the naysayers will be back in force ready to kill the Golden Goose once again. Human nature is nothing if not predictable.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Except that isn't the reason we 'needed' to fire Pete.

We needed to get rid of him because we have one of the worst offenses in the league with one of the better QBs in the league (hopefully).

Pete is not sticking around much longer. We have from 1-3 years more tops.

Wilson is potentially a looming decision, and we need someone that can win with him as a focal point IF we end up keeping Wilson. Since we need to know if Wilson can be the primary driver, and since Pete has shown he has not really been able to build a great offense with Wilson as the primary driver - it made sense that we needed to look at options other than Pete.

Not because he was failing, though that was a contributing factor, but because he was almost assuredly gone anyway.

And the brand of Pete's football we have gotten for 2.5 years has been near unwatchable garbage for 1/2 to 3/4 of the game. Again signaling a need to review whether a change made sense.

One good game does not really change that set of issues, though several good games might. So far at least we have a better indication that things might be getting better.

But with the changes given the loss of Allen, we don't have much choice. Losing our owner means ratcheting your expectations plans way back.

Ultimately the issues have changed. Paul being gone means there is no reason to expect the next hire to be good. And given the massive change with ownership in flux, we are not likely getting a great coach if we need a replacement. Too much uncertainty. So sticking with Pete for as long as we can ride him is the most reasonable move forward.

But let's not conflate venting about issues with this team and the realization that we have some big changes coming that might require preparation, some of which will likely require making a bet on Pete for a few more years or a bet on Wilson.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
So.. don't conflate the present but conflate the past? the team won 10, 10 and 9 games over those 3 years. Wilson was throwing for record numbers.

It wasn't working. PC has made a change that has been mutually beneficial to Wilson, the offense, the defense and the results are there to be seen.

The present should not be dismissed so easily. PC may only be here for the next 3-5 years. I imagine that Wilson will be too. If PC does go, then I'd imagine a head coach with his similar philosophy would be brought in.

toffee

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2xg22tsp said:
Except that isn't the reason we 'needed' to fire Pete.

We needed to get rid of him because we have one of the worst offenses in the league with one of the better QBs in the league (hopefully).

Pete is not sticking around much longer. We have from 1-3 years more tops.

Wilson is potentially a looming decision, and we need someone that can win with him as a focal point IF we end up keeping Wilson. Since we need to know if Wilson can be the primary driver, and since Pete has shown he has not really been able to build a great offense with Wilson as the primary driver - it made sense that we needed to look at options other than Pete.

Not because he was failing, though that was a contributing factor, but because he was almost assuredly gone anyway.

And the brand of Pete's football we have gotten for 2.5 years has been near unwatchable garbage for 1/2 to 3/4 of the game. Again signaling a need to review whether a change made sense.

One good game does not really change that set of issues, though several good games might. So far at least we have a better indication that things might be getting better.

But with the changes given the loss of Allen, we don't have much choice. Losing our owner means ratcheting your expectations plans way back.

Ultimately the issues have changed. Paul being gone means there is no reason to expect the next hire to be good. And given the massive change with ownership in flux, we are not likely getting a great coach if we need a replacement. Too much uncertainty. So sticking with Pete for as long as we can ride him is the most reasonable move forward.

But let's not conflate venting about issues with this team and the realization that we have some big changes coming that might require preparation, some of which will likely require making a bet on Pete for a few more years or a bet on Wilson.

My standard answer to all "fire Pete brigade": Name that Pete replacement.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Still think the Hawks are an 8-8 team, but questions at the beginning of the season are finally being answered. Cable and Bevell really were that bad. Its finally fun to watch the team play again which has been missing for the past couple years, Just hoping we can beat some good teams going forward.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
My answer is that it does not matter. You cannot replace Pete now.

That opportunity is gone.

But I highly doubt we have Pete for even 3 more years, hence the reason for the concern.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1uselkfq said:
But I highly doubt we have Pete for even 3 more years, hence the reason for the concern.

Why do you say that?

- Pete seems happy here
- Pete seems to love his relationship with Schneider and the organization
- Pete doesn't seem like he's ready to retire

So if the feeling is mutual with the Seahawk brass that Allen put into place to oversee the team, then why wouldn't we offer he and John a 3-4 year extension, and why wouldn't Pete want to stay here and see this rebuild/reload/run towards another SB out?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":37bjoivw said:
My answer is that it does not matter. You cannot replace Pete now.

That opportunity is gone.

The last time Carroll spoke on the topic, which was at the beginning of the season, he said he would like to coach for at least the next four years.

It’s frustrating when people don’t appreciate what they have. Carroll is the best coach in franchise history and one of the best in the history of the game. He set the same kinds of all-time records in both college football and the NFL.

What he has accomplished so far this season is amazing to watch. The team’s talent level took a major hit this off-season. Yet, he has somehow cobbled together one of the best defenses in the NFL (4th in scoring defense, 6th in total defense, 5th in pass yards allowed, 3rd in QB rating allowed). He has also somehow resuscitated the run game by making the difficult decision to hire a new offensive coordinator and by handpicking Chris Carson in the 7th round of last years’s draft.

If the trends hold up, Carroll should be Coach of the Year.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":1o23fg5q said:
semiahmoo":1o23fg5q said:
Is Pete's coaching improved or is Russ clicking more with the offensive scheme via the new coordinator?

Pete still has his faults, we all do, but he also deserves credit for putting in people (finally!) who appear to be getting it done.

If we make the playoffs, Pete deserves even more credit for turning around a somewhat sinking ship and I'll be among the first to say it.

Until then lets enjoy the victories.

GO HAWKS!

Pete maybe not over coaching as in getting his nose into the offense, Wilson feeling more comfortable and "TRUSTING" Schotty's calls and scheme is a big thing also I think and knowing it much better now.

Also Pete trusting Schotty's calls helps him keep his nose out of things also.

Petes biggest success was addition by subtraction this year, his replacments have shown it may not have been talent but the use and schemes that talent was put in.

I'm asking honestly- where are you getting this "keep his nose out" narrative from? Did it come from some media literature somewhere, or is it one of those things you're just making up because you think that's probably what happened?

Because I haven't really seen it anywhere outside of the claims of some fans on the internet. If it came from somewhere, I'll be happy to read it.

mistaowen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":23915bq5 said:
chris98251":23915bq5 said:
semiahmoo":23915bq5 said:
Is Pete's coaching improved or is Russ clicking more with the offensive scheme via the new coordinator?

Pete still has his faults, we all do, but he also deserves credit for putting in people (finally!) who appear to be getting it done.

If we make the playoffs, Pete deserves even more credit for turning around a somewhat sinking ship and I'll be among the first to say it.

Until then lets enjoy the victories.

GO HAWKS!

Pete maybe not over coaching as in getting his nose into the offense, Wilson feeling more comfortable and "TRUSTING" Schotty's calls and scheme is a big thing also I think and knowing it much better now.

Also Pete trusting Schotty's calls helps him keep his nose out of things also.

Petes biggest success was addition by subtraction this year, his replacments have shown it may not have been talent but the use and schemes that talent was put in.

I'm asking honestly- where are you getting this "keep his nose out" narrative from? Did it come from some media literature somewhere, or is it one of those things you're just making up because you think that's probably what happened?

Because I haven't really seen it anywhere outside of the claims of some fans on the internet. If it came from somewhere, I'll be happy to read it.

I believe during the game yesterday Ronde mentioned something about Pete being involved for the first two weeks, seeing the same results, admitting an issue, and letting Schotty take the wheel which is the huge spike in running plays. Then showed the graph between run and pass calls each week. Haven't seen it reported anywhere officially but it does seem like the chuck and pray of past few seasons is gone. Maybe he spoke to them pre-game or maybe he just made an assumption.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2xmng2fp said:
Still think the Hawks are an 8-8 team, but questions at the beginning of the season are finally being answered. Cable and Bevell really were that bad. Its finally fun to watch the team play again which has been missing for the past couple years, Just hoping we can beat some good teams going forward.

Well we almost beat the best team in the league, so maybe we will beat a "good" team this year. Although it seems everytime we do beat a good team, they automatically become a bad team. So it may be an impossibility given this strange logic loop we've developed at .NET.

And if we do win 10 games and make a wildcard spot does that mean you go from calling for Pete's head to endorsing him as Coach of the Year. Getting to the playoffs with a crappy 8-8 team has to be worth consideration right?

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":bqsjykv2 said:

I've seen multiple people say they were wrong myself included. I didn't think Pete would adapt but he did. I think it was a valid criticism because he's been reluctant to do so in the past but he has and he deserves credit.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Mad Dog":1gtmnbup said:
pittpnthrs":1gtmnbup said:

Well we almost beat the best team in the league, so maybe we will beat a "good" team this year. Although it seems everytime we do beat a good team, they automatically become a bad team. So it may be an impossibility given this strange logic loop we've developed at .NET.

And if we do win 10 games and make a wildcard spot does that mean you go from calling for Pete's head to endorsing him as Coach of the Year. Getting to the playoffs with a crappy 8-8 team has to be worth consideration right?

Who are these good teams you speak of?

We have beaten the Cowboys, Cardinals, Raiders, and Lions so far. All 4 of those teams are sad. So, while a lot of fans are feeling great right now (hey, I like some things i'm seeing too), there is plenty to be skeptical about too. We havent beaten anybody yet. Long way to go before even considering playoffs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":w4bdf1ru said:
Mad Dog":w4bdf1ru said:
pittpnthrs":w4bdf1ru said:

Who are these good teams you speak of?

We have beaten the Cowboys, Cardinals, Raiders, and Lions so far. All 4 of those teams are sad. So, while a lot of fans are feeling great right now (hey, I like some things i'm seeing too), there is plenty to be skeptical about too. We havent beaten anybody yet. Long way to go before even considering playoffs.

There are maybe 3-4 elite teams in the league, and I have no problem saying we're in the next group of teams.

This absolutely puts us in the conversation of discussing or considering ourselves a playoff team. This is the NFL, you don't have to be a great team to make the playoffs, and the Hawks are certainly a good team.............and more importantly continuing to look better and better each week.