PFF Oline ranking-Hawks worst in the NFL

Smellyman

Reaction score
and quit saying this was the best OL perfromance.

RW was still getting drilled and couldn't run the ball.

marko358

Reaction score
Smellyman":2vh8thgr said:

We had a total of 1 TD drive and 2 FG drives and 6 other drives resulting in less than a 100 yards combined. Is that not good enough for you?

Cartire

Reaction score
Smellyman":wvh3y9jv said:

He wasnt sacked once.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Cartire":1i2k2isg said:
Smellyman":1i2k2isg said:

He wasnt sacked once.

Then it was a great performance.

/sarcasm off

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Well, if you agree with their rankings for OL, shouldn't you also agree with their QB rankings? Or do you just get to cherry pick what you like and disregard what you don't?

Anyone want to answer that one?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LymonHawk":1zwup3zh said:
Well, if you agree with their rankings for OL, shouldn't you also agree with their QB rankings? Or do you just get to cherry pick what you like and disregard what you don't?

All of PFF's grades have weaknesses. Their QB grades are probably the weakest of the weak because of how much goes into playing QB that is not included in their evaluations, i.e. pre-snap reads, protections, audibles, short throws to receivers in space, etc. They also make these evaluations before viewing the All-22, which means they are limited to viewing a small portion of the field.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2gja3n49 said:
LymonHawk":2gja3n49 said:

All of PFF's grades have weaknesses. Their QB grades are probably the weakest of the weak because of how much goes into playing QB that is not included in their evaluations, i.e. pre-snap reads, protections, audibles, short throws to receivers in space, etc. They also make these evaluations before viewing the All-22, which means they are limited to viewing a small portion of the field.

Thanks, 2015.

So if we believe their grades have weaknesses, why do we put stock in them?

Personally, I don't believe in the grading thing. It's just another ruse to obtain clicks.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
LymonHawk":20woh868 said:
hawknation2015":20woh868 said:
LymonHawk":20woh868 said:

Thanks, 2015.

So if we believe their grades have weaknesses, why do we put stock in them?

Personally, I don't believe in the grading thing. It's just another ruse to obtain clicks.

You just have to view it as another subjective opinion . . . one of many. Their signature stats are more interesting than the grades. PFF's biggest problem is their dedication to secrecy and determination to carefully cultivate a reputation that they can then sell to outlets like ESPN. It should be possible to scrutinize their grades and stats on a per play basis.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Anthony!":e0fet7o6 said:
Hawkpower":e0fet7o6 said:
iigakusei":e0fet7o6 said:
That is the thing that is so frustrating - we don't even need a good OL let alone great. We just need a somewhat serviceable line. How hard can it be?

More challenging when you have large chunks of money in your QB, RB, Dline, Linebackers and Secondary.

You can make a legitimate argument that the oline is more important than some of these areas, but considering the players are now signed, locked and loaded, it is what it is for this year.

We either restructure the areas of the team next year so that you weaken one spot for the benefit of the line, or we hope to hit a homerun while bargain shopping.

But this is why some cringed when money was given out to certain individuals. The oline we now are stuck with is the consequence.

They had virtually nothing tied up in QB for the last 3 years so not much of an excuse. Nor should it have been why some cringed, They had 3+ years to fix the oline. They have no excuses at all.

Calm down. I wasnt personally calling out your boy.

Did you notice I also mentioned that we have big money tied up in various other positions as well?

They dont have a poor oline because thats what they want. They have a poor oline because superstars emerged other places and we chose to keep them around.

Doing that meant that we had to hope some gambles worked out in the draft, free agency, etc. You cant have superstar contracts at every single spot on the field. Its just not fiscally possible.

So again, we either have to weaken other areas of the team, or hope these gambles work out.

Thats what is going to happen NOW that we have to pay huge money to our QB. There's your shot my friend :)

Hawkpower

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3tubljsb said:
You reap what you sow.

Dallas is #1 on the list, and 80% of their OL consists of three 1st-rounders and a fourth would-have-been 1st rounder (La'el Collins).

Seattle is dead last, and 80% of their OL consists of an undrafted college DT in the MAC conference who had never appeared in an NFL game, an undrafted college TE who was a part-time-starting OT as a senior and who didn't play any meaningful snaps as a rookie last season, a 7th round college DT who has been a middling OG thus far in his career, and a 2nd round pick who was a MAJOR reach that everyone else had graded as a 3rd day pick, and who was a disaster for the better part of his rookie season.

The OL has been neglected for years now, under a false belief that Tom Cable can turn water into wine. And now we're all paying the price for it.

Our line at times last year consisted of two first round picks and a second rounder. Thats hardly neglect.

We could have made different decisions over the years and had a better oline, sure. But those decisions dont get made in a vacuum. What parts of our team would be weaker because of it? Is our team better overall if we have a better oline but a terrible secondary? How about no Bobby and or KJ? Maybe. Maybe not.

We cant just snap and say I want a better oline. This isnt Madden. There are consequences to every decision.

mikeak

Reaction score
Funny how many times I and others were told to shut it and our o-line was fine since we had been to two superbowls....

Hawkpower

Reaction score
mikeak":2puzkgef said:
Funny how many times I and others were told to shut it and our o-line was fine since we had been to two superbowls....

The comment I saw often was that our oline has not been good in this run, and yet we have gone to two superbowls.

Which is true.

Has something changed to prompt your comment?

rideaducati

Reaction score
The O-line is getting better EVERY WEEK. Cable does a good job EVERY YEAR with what he is given and his offensive lines get better as each season goes on. The guys along the offensive line just need TIME together. They'll be better next season.

Just look at the Saints offensive line. They were among the best in the league for several years at pass protecting. They had the most starts TOGETHER too. They now have new faces in new places and they aren't as good either.

On the bright side, PFF ranks TWO of our defensive linemen in the top 10 edge rushers in the league...actually, top 9.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":q5rudvie said:
You reap what you sow.

Dallas is #1 on the list, and 80% of their OL consists of three 1st-rounders and a fourth would-have-been 1st rounder (La'el Collins).

Seattle is dead last, and 80% of their OL consists of an undrafted college DT in the MAC conference who had never appeared in an NFL game, an undrafted college TE who was a part-time-starting OT as a senior and who didn't play any meaningful snaps as a rookie last season, a 7th round college DT who has been a middling OG thus far in his career, and a 2nd round pick who was a MAJOR reach that everyone else had graded as a 3rd day pick, and who was a disaster for the better part of his rookie season.

The OL has been neglected for years now, under a false belief that Tom Cable can turn water into wine. And now we're all paying the price for it.

52ef1e6954d7bpreview 620

101314 SW NFL Doug Free PIvadapt620high27

randomation

Reaction score
It's almost like it's not a good idea to try to turn tight ends and defensive linemen into olinemen and actually draft oline instead.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1553g7or said:
mikeak":1553g7or said:

The comment I saw often was that our oline has not been good in this run, and yet we have gone to two superbowls.

Which is true.

Has something changed to prompt your comment?

The comment that I saw was stating that our O-line is fine, we have gone to two superbowls so there was no issue and there will be no issue

Which is NOT true

We went to superbowls despite our O-line

Largent80

Reaction score
Everyone gobbles the Dallas O-Line knob and what did they get last week?

All those #1 draft choices and 5 losses in a row.