PFT Bennet to sign with Bears....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3gkhgtgv said:
MizzouHawkGal":3gkhgtgv said:
And Chicago isn't a good team as long as Cutler is there and Rodgers is in Green Bay. Sometimes it's just that simple.

What's a "good team"? Chicago has had 11-5 and 10-6 seasons with Cutler. I remember most Seattle fans were chalking that 2012 game in Chicago as a loss before it was even played. The Bears got one of the scariest WR tandems in the league, and Martellus Bennett is a very nice TE. Trestman has done some pretty interesting things as a coach. They probably won't be a defensive powerhouse anymore, but neither were Holmgren's Seahawks. Didn't mean our playmakers on defense were useless.

I can think of a lot of worse situations to play in than Chicago.
Simple, one that beats Green Bay. Now if you would like to be relevant that might take a bit more, just ask Green Bay.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I love Bennett, and am happy for him. I bet Chi pays him 9 M per. Don't take this as sour grapes, but for chicago's sake, this won't accomplish what they want. They had the worst run D in the league without Melton. They are going to cut Peppers and have 10 MM dead money. They need more help up the middle- DTs, mlb, safeties. Replacing Bennett with peppers isn't going to help them as much as they think.

C'mon Lamar Houston!

Wartooth

Reaction score
lukerguy":2dj6jlqr said:
I love Bennett, and am happy for him. I bet Chi pays him 9 M per. Don't take this as sour grapes, but for chicago's sake, this won't accomplish what they want. They had the worst run D in the league without Melton. They are going to cut Peppers and have 10 MM dead money. They need more help up the middle- DTs, mlb, safeties. Replacing Bennett with peppers isn't going to help them as much as they think.

C'mon Lamar Houston!

Here's a guy who gets it!
The Bears have a lot of holes in their defense, if he does go there, it won't fix it.
He will be replacing an old ass Pepper's, he'll be expected to play every down.
They still won't be able to stop the run, unless they have an insane draft!
He'll be a band-aid in Chicago.
Other teams will double team him, because the Bears have nothing else to push it forward.
Take the bucks Mike, shine your ring.

EL ROCKSTEADY

Reaction score
stang233":13mrs0k1 said:

I hope not :) A much more convincing report coming out of Chicago.

Michael Bennett - DL - Seahawks
According to the Chicago Tribune, DE Michael Bennett has emerged as the Bears' "top target" in free agency.
The Bears are in "strong pursuit" of Martellus' brother, and reportedly hope to replace Julius Peppers with Michael at right defensive end. Two club officials told the Tribune they expect Bennett to sign with Chicago "after free agency opens at 3 p.m. (CT) Tuesday." Bears GM Phil Emery has a strong working relationship with agent Drew Rosenhaus, who reps Bennett. It sounds like it's just a matter of time before Bennett is rushing quarterbacks in the Windy City.
Related: Bears
Source: Chicago Tribune

Lady Talon

Reaction score
.Net meltdown achieved. Next scapegoat apply through free agency.

Can't imagine a better scenario than getting overpaid to play with your brother on an alleged NFL team. Good luck and thanks for the cheap Super Bowl year Michael.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Some of you won't like hearing it, but Chicago is a great city. By and large, the fans are pretty diehard. There is great shopping, arts and museums, theatre, Rush Street, Chicago blues, etc. Yeah, the weather can suck, especially in the winter, but it can be beautiful too.

davidonmi

Reaction score
sc85sis":226zzdu5 said:
Some of you won't like hearing it, but Chicago is a great city. By and large, the fans are pretty diehard. There is great shopping, arts and museums, theatre, Rush Street, Chicago blues, etc. Yeah, the weather can suck, especially in the winter, but it can be beautiful too.
plus you only have to live there for 1/2 month of winter (except if you make the playoffs of course).
It seems like a perfect match

sc85sis

Reaction score
And he would be playing with his brother. As the old saying goes, blood is thicker than water.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I would guess that the cutting of Red Bryant would also play into his decision. One of the reasons he signed with Seattle was his relationship with Red (along with a few others), to go along with a chance to win. Once Red was cut, I figured it lowered our chances of Bennett signing with the Seahawks

AgentDib

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3ewoij25 said:
The notion that this team is so stacked, we should trade quantity for quality draft picks isn't true. Seattle needs volume of picks. Because if we are going to put together the program that the theory prescribes, then we are really looking at 3-4 similar Michael Bennett defections each year going forward.
I agree but would go further to say that in the NFL quantity can lead to quality. That 90 man roster is there to be used and it is worth cutting a dozen late round picks who do not work out in the process of finding gems in the rough. Those players overlooked in the pre-draft process every year can shine every bit as bright as the obvious first round selections once they get their opportunities.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Its all business, we will find another diamond in the ruff and with the right schemes in place we should be fine.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
You know, as good as he was this past season and playoffs, I still believe a lot of his success was due to Avril. It's not like this guy was the best DL we've seen. There has been entirely too much hype this off season about Bennett, imo.
But good luck to you sir!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
JaiSeaSea":2a95ert6 said:
You know, as good as he was this past season and playoffs, I still believe a lot of his success was due to Avril. It's not like this guy was the best DL we've seen. There has been entirely too much hype this off season about Bennett, imo.
But good luck to you sir!!

I think this about covers it. Wayyy too much hype, I don't think Bennett is THAT good. He's very good but not 9 million per year good. When teams overpay for a position, they are limiting what they can do at other positions, and we have some very important ones coming up that have put in the time here. Bennett has put in one year, just one.

If you give one guy too much money, it effects the rest of the team and if/when that guy goes down, you're playing with a shorter roster.

And how much of MB's production came from playing on the #1 defense? It was number one before he got here, I doubt it will lose much with him gone. Hell, Tony McDaniel and Clinton McDonald have looked like world-beaters out there sometimes.

We've seen glimpses from Michael Brooks, Benson Mayowa, Gregg Scruggs, and the draft is coming up. We still have Jordan Hill and Jesse Williams to learn about. With this defensive backfield, I could see a lot of defensive linemen looking really good in this defense. That's why, imaho, it's much more important to get Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman extended than it is to sign Michael Bennett.

WIth MB gone, it is now much more likely that the above happens (extend ET and RS), that extension talks with others are begun.

I'm a little upset with Bennett, I liked the guy and I feel a little bit like a jilted lover, but hey, if the gf meets a better looking guy with more money, she's likely gone too. *shrug* It's part of life, my feelings are going to be hurt, but in reality, he owes us nothing. He did his part, played his ass off for a cheap, one year contract, and now he's going for the gold. But, as much as I understand that, I'm still going to poke my Michael Bennett doll in the shoulder a few times.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":1zgn2j3w said:
Once Red was cut, I figured it lowered our chances of Bennett signing with the Seahawks

Same thing I thought. I just hope at the end of all this, we can get a decent comp pick and pick up another premium pass rusher, or get a very good comp pick and a premium pass rusher. Comp pick is heavily weighed on how much we spend vs. how much we lose, so I hope they pay the kings ransom if they get him.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
sc85sis":q0krd717 said:

Perhaps, you haven't driven through certain parts of Chicago like I have. The place can be pretty scary!
Not that Seattle doesn't have similar locations.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
kearly":bd3d5ych said:
Well, between Allen, Clemons, Tuck, maybe Ware, maybe Wake, between those options Allen strikes me as by far the most likely. Right now Chris Clemons is being held in a case that reads "break glass in case of emergency." It is almost inconceivable that he will remain in Seattle at his current price tag. He's only being kept around in case we have no better options.

Anyone else get an image of Clem, in full pads with his arms folded, in a big glass case glowering out at the world?
'Yo Clem, you coming to practice?'
'...Na man...just waiting...'

Back on OT, ah if hes gone hes gone, these things happen. If it turns out to be the case I really wouldn't mind seeing Cameron Wake in Seahawk colors. As unlikely as it is.

Wartooth

Reaction score
sc85sis":3dxxgy68 said:

Sorry, I live in Illinois, and Chicago is a festering hole.
We used to go up there every week end and party back in the day, it was a grand time!
But those days are gone, now you are taking your own life in your hands going there.
Its credit rating has been downgraded to the point of 'Junk Bonds'...Crime, corruption, idiotic politics has rendered this state ineffectual.
He obviously hasn't considered how much money the state income tax will cost him, 39%!
I know he'll live way out in the suburbs, more than likely in a gated community.
Either way, he will be working in one of the true danger zones in this country, and subjecting his family to the same.
Chicago is a different level of horrifying, I hope he is ready for that.

kearly

Reaction score
HawksSoc":2le0jtll said:
If it turns out to be the case I really wouldn't mind seeing Cameron Wake in Seahawk colors. As unlikely as it is.

Me too.

Looking at Wake's contract, he's almost certainly going to be traded or released in the next 365 days. Not sure if he joins Seattle this year, but he could be one to watch in 2015 if we can't keep Avril.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts