Pick 123: DT Cameron Young Mississippi St.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
6' 3" 304 lbs

"Strengths
  • Rare arm length for a defensive tackle.
  • High win rate getting into the blocker with first hands.
  • Rides zone blocks with good pacing and control to maintain his run fit.
  • Unlocks hips/ankles to drop sturdy anchor against double teams.
  • Does the dirty work to allow linebackers to flow freely.
  • Impressive shed-to-tackle transitions."

Traditional nose tackle who can move over to 5 tech if needed. Welcome to Seattle

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
6' 3" 304 lbs

"Strengths
  • Rare arm length for a defensive tackle.
  • High win rate getting into the blocker with first hands.
  • Rides zone blocks with good pacing and control to maintain his run fit.
  • Unlocks hips/ankles to drop sturdy anchor against double teams.
  • Does the dirty work to allow linebackers to flow freely.
  • Impressive shed-to-tackle transitions."

Traditional nose tackle who can move over to 5 tech if needed. Welcome to Seattle
If theses guys live up to their potential, we’ve killed this draft.
I’m stoked.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
For what it's worth: PFF Grades 2020 - 76.9; 2021 - 73.1; 2022 65.1

B-gap 316 snaps and A-gap 268 (191/240 split in 2021)

hoxrox

Reaction score
He's #93 on this. Reminds me a little bit like Mebane, but without the burst Mebane had.

GemCity

Reaction score
He's #93 on this. Reminds me a little bit like Mebane, but without the burst Mebane had.

Agree with the burst if we’re talking lateral movement. I use the term “lateral movement “ loosely with these monster ass DT’s!

But, I like his first step. I don’t know if it’s so much as speed vs raw power (likely the latter), but he can blow things up quickly.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Young is the only player we drafted I never saw anything about pre draft. Stout DT from the SEC is not a bad way to go. Doesn't get me hyped but combined with Morris who is 6'6 and expected to bulk up a bit and if from a top D in the Big 12 we added to the mix.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Pure run-stuffing DTs with no pass rush upside tend to fall off the face of the earth in the modern NFL draft.

I’d argue Young is just as good or better at holding his gap discipline than a lot of the big guys drafted ahead of him: Smith, Benton, Dexter, Pickens, Turner, Ika, and Martin

But his run defense prospects were so good some had him as a 3rd round pick.

And ironically mammoth sized defenders like Ika and Coburn who have more pass-rush skill than run defense skill tend to also fall off.

Young is very similar to his former and current teammate in Charles Cross, both possess an elite skill set for their positions. Both have the chance to become dominant at those positions with weight and strength gains. And that should come sooner rather than later. Much more harder at this level to teach players proper technique and discipline that it is to teach a guy to properly work out.

ivotuk

Reaction score
That's a great video! I found myself laughing a couple of times with Cameron jumping the play and stopping it cold. I also found myself saying "Damn..." a couple of times. Granted it's a highlight film, but it's also against SEC competition. "SEC competition" isn't the end-all, be-all of player judgement, but it's a great scale to use along with everything else.