Pick #141 Shaquem Griffin

FinNasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":15ftmtks said:
chris98251":15ftmtks said:
Sgt. Largent":15ftmtks said:
Pete's already said he wants to play Shaquem at KJ's LB spot and then go from there.

Which makes sense, the WILL LB spot can run around, make plays and blitz/edge rush...........which is what Griffin is really good at, flying to the ball.

IMO turning him into a SS is risky and would take time. Kam was a safety in college, so coaching him up on how to play more in the box wasn't a huge learning curve.

So I'd rather see Shaquem stay at the KJ or Bruce Irvin type LB position, so he's not going through some huge learning curve process transitioning to safety.

Either way, drafting Shaquem made my weekend. Love the dude, love everything he stands for and love having him as a Hawk. He's EXACTLY the kind of energy and heart we need right now.

Well if you knew about him you would know he played Safety before so it is not unknown to him.

I know he played safety in high school, and I didn't say it was unknown to him.

But it would be a bigger transition and learning curve, than keeping him in the WILL LB position that he played at UCF. He certainly has the speed and hitting ability to play our SS, but my guess is Pete wants to groom him to take over for KJ (who's contract expires next year).

He actually was a Safety his first 3 years at UCF as well (including his redshirt year)... however he never got into a game.

But ya... play him at the WILL.

FinNasty

Reaction score
drcool":1482v7vj said:
Looks like he will be wearing #49

Ff 3139255alt1 full

That confirmed anywhere? I was hoping for #48 after wearing #18 since #48 was available.

...there's thousands of UCF fans waiting to find out this information, lol. Also, we're trying to figure out if you're going to move to SM. Griffin and SL. Griffin like they were in college, or how you're going to do that...

drcool

Reaction score
FinNasty":3neazpv6 said:
That confirmed anywhere? I was hoping for #48 after wearing #18 since #48 was available.

https://www.fanatics.com/nfl/seattle-se ... 2321925764

http://www.nflshop.com/Seattle_Seahawks ... ame_Jersey

https://proshop.seahawks.com/mens-nike- ... 2171149099

The jerseys don't get numbers unless they are confirmed by the league. Of course there is a chance that number will change down the road but I would be 99% confident he will be #49.

And I highly doubt there will be any SM Griffin or SL Griffin. The NFL doesn't like doing the initial thing and have a policy against it. I know there could be exceptions in some cases but wouldn't expect that here.

ivotuk

Reaction score
What i find laughable is all the tv experts talking about him as if this were a throw away pick or charity pick. "I don't know where they're going to play him." And acting as if he can't play in the NFL without his left hand.

Haven't they seen JPP play? 2017: 8.5 sacks. 5 passes defensed. 2 Forced Fumbles. 48 Tackles. Stats wise, 2017 was his 3rd best year out of his career.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... erJa99.htm

Shaquem is a legitimate NFL player, and will excel at the Weakside Linebacker spot. The most impressive thing I've heard about him (there have only been a few positives), I think it was Bucky Brooks that said "his best plays come at critical times during the game." That's a sign of greatness.

'Quem and 'Quille will be twin, defensive wrecking balls, and teams will be regretting passing on him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt about it, this was a football move. Kid is a damn good FOOTBALL player, has nothing to with his hand. Against Auburn, he looked like the best PLAYER on the field, period.

FinNasty

Reaction score
ivotuk":9nxxcogm said:
What i find laughable is all the tv experts talking about him as if this were a throw away pick or charity pick. "I don't know where they're going to play him." And acting as if he can't play in the NFL without his left hand.

Haven't they seen JPP play? 2017: 8.5 sacks. 5 passes defensed. 2 Forced Fumbles. 48 Tackles. Stats wise, 2017 was his 3rd best year out of his career.

Shaquem is a legitimate NFL player, and will excel at the Weakside Linebacker spot. The most impressive thing I've heard about him (there have only been a few positives), I think it was Bucky Brooks that said "his best plays come at critical times during the game." That's a sign of greatness.

'Quem and 'Quille will be twin, defensive wrecking balls, and teams will be regretting passing on him.

This was so frustrating... it had my blood boiling. They kept saying that the reason he was falling is that there was a "position issue" for Griffin regarding what position he could play due to his size, yet the following LB's that are all within a half inch and a cheesburger were drafted ahead of him with no such "position issue questions":

Roquon Smith - 6'0 7/8" 235lbs
Jerome Baker - 6'1 1/8" 229lbs
Dorian O'Daniel - 6'0 1/2" 223lbs
Josey Jewell - 6'1 234lbs
Joel Iyiegbuniwe - 6'1 229lbs
Kenny Young - 6'1 236lbs
Shaquem Griffin - 6'0 1/2" 227lbs

BULL****. He's the same size and faster and more athletic than all of them. They're scared of the hand. At least say that though and don't insult our intelligence with this "lacks a position" crap...

chris98251

Reaction score
Also read his stock dropped because of a faulty 40 time, someone said it was really 4.58, not slow but not elite, correct me if I am wrong, we have coaches with stop watches, that starting gate is electronic and a eye at the end electronic. It wasn't until draft day all of a sudden this comes out, Pete and John were both there watching and clocking him also. I call Bullshit on the story, someone skewing something here for some reason, Much like Guice's supposed story about assaulting a Eagles representative at the combine only to find out something different and that there were questions asked that were lets just say in bad taste of him.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
FinNasty":2zblxunx said:
ivotuk":2zblxunx said:

This was so frustrating... it had my blood boiling. They kept saying that the reason he was falling is that there was a "position issue" for Griffin regarding what position he could play due to his size, yet the following LB's that are all within a half inch and a cheesburger were drafted ahead of him with no such "position issue questions":

Roquon Smith - 6'0 7/8" 235lbs
Jerome Baker - 6'1 1/8" 229lbs
Dorian O'Daniel - 6'0 1/2" 223lbs
Josey Jewell - 6'1 234lbs
Joel Iyiegbuniwe - 6'1 229lbs
Kenny Young - 6'1 236lbs
Shaquem Griffin - 6'0 1/2" 227lbs

BULL****. He's the same size and faster and more athletic than all of them. They're scared of the hand. At least say that though and don't insult our intelligence with this "lacks a position" crap...

I don't get it either. Living in Central Florida, I watched a few UCF games and Shaquem was as legit as they come. Unbelievable closing speed, which will certainly help him in coverage, as a pass rusher, and hitting gaps in the run game. Will the lack of a second hand be a detriment? It's possible, but he has so many other talents to compensate that I just don't see how he doesn't find a home here.

Even if he wasn't drafted by Seattle, I wanted him to succeed and shut up all the critics....you know, the ones whose record for draft analysis is about as on par as mine, yours, or anyone else's when you consider all the Tom Bradys Russell Wilsons, Doug Baldwins, etc. that they've whiffed on over the years. Afterall, they still haven't invented a Combine measurement for Grit and Heart.

FinNasty

Reaction score
chris98251":1wddoduf said:
Also read his stock dropped because of a faulty 40 time, someone said it was really 4.58, not slow but not elite, correct me if I am wrong, we have coaches with stop watches, that starting gate is electronic and a eye at the end electronic. It wasn't until draft day all of a sudden this comes out, Pete and John were both there watching and clocking him also. I call Bullshit on the story, someone skewing something here for some reason, Much like Guice's supposed story about assaulting a Eagles representative at the combine only to find out something different and that there were questions asked that were lets just say in bad taste of him.

OK... so here's the deal with that. Shaquem's 40 was picked apart b/c there are cynics out there who hate anything that is good and don't believe in good stories, lol. So, people broke his 40 down frame by frame and said it didn't match up.

So, I went and looked... and they were right... the timer on his 4.38 appears to stop early:

Ecfc0691 7b15 4163 85aa 55ed457c31ca zpshikfr3f4

That is... until you do the same to every other prospect, and realize there was an issue with the broadcast not aligning with the timer correctly. I went and looked through multiple players at random, and they all had the same issue on the broadcast:

Tremaine Edmunds' first run of 4.55 (ran a 4.54 on his 2nd run)
E68ffd80 cd43 48d0 a70c 951f58361de4 zpsstl7eitv

Fred Warner's 2nd run of 4.64
89298e29 eea8 46aa 9b2d b4308405cd12 zpsouiaipvs

Chris Worley's 2nd run of 4.87
0e76e59e b2d1 4858 8080 bf507bfe0582 zpsnzxegm2m

Roquon clearly already starting but clock still at 0.00...
Cf201e1e ca41 40e5 9c6e 13b9d8a8cddd zpsyjjogbxy

The timer on the broadcast is off... but the timer was legit on the field... which is why these times stuck as official. People didn't believe and wanted to pick his apart... but they didn't take the time to do the same to everyone else's...

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1g6jkmqm said:
On another note, is someone really complaining about their hair? What does hair have to do with how a guy plays football? :?
A hell of a lot more than you're aware of, apparently. Here's Polamalu getting tackled by his hair after intercepting a pass. Getting tackled by your hair could literally be a game-altering event.

[youtube]eVO93amUv7Y[/youtube]

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Great story but can someone please explain to me how Shaqueem tackles players with only one hand...?

Thanks

FinNasty

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":u828634p said:
Great story but can someone please explain to me how Shaqueem tackles players with only one hand...?

Thanks
...how does a predator catch its prey?

Like a savage. Just watch...

[youtube]XvVPdvq6thI[/youtube]

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2owpk6qs said:

Thanks
We'll refer this to Mr. Chancellor for comment. Note that inertia causes the raindrops to remain in a helmet-shaped pattern as the force of the impact makes Mr. Davis wonder what universe he's in. Also notice no hands were used in this tackle, yet Mr. Davis was most certainly down.

Llor 062617 getty ftrjpg a6ibokjbwvi41og7wvqbgoaqr

FinNasty

Reaction score
In all serious... think of a player that breaks his hand and has to wear a club/cast. Do you bench that player or do you play him with a cast?

Now... realize that player is trying to adjust to playing with a cast on within a week or 2. However, this is all Shaquem has ever known his entire life. When he first learned to tackle as a kid, he learned to tackle without a hand. He doesn't know any other way. Its normal to him...

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3jbsqy82 said:
SoulfishHawk":3jbsqy82 said:
On another note, is someone really complaining about their hair? What does hair have to do with how a guy plays football? :?
A hell of a lot more than you're aware of, apparently. Here's Polamalu getting tackled by his hair after intercepting a pass. Getting tackled by your hair could literally be a game-altering event.

[youtube]eVO93amUv7Y[/youtube]

I knew you'd bring either this, or when Sherman had his hair grabbed after an interception up. With how many players who have long hair, how often does this really happen? I'm willing to wager that it is not as often as one would think.

In other words, it's something that happens so rarely that the players aren't cutting their hair.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
OkieHawk":1sylk72c said:
I knew you'd bring either this, or when Sherman had his hair grabbed after an interception up. With how many players who have long hair, how often does this really happen? I'm willing to wager that it is not as often as one would think.

In other words, it's something that happens so rarely that the players aren't cutting their hair.
This is actually only a minor part of my argument. It affects your ability to "snap-check" what's going on behind you. That's a fact, not an opinion; it's not even worth discussing further.

Either you're on the side of style over substance when it comes to a multi-million-dollar career, or you're not. I'm not.

OP
OP
OkieHawk

OkieHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":9bb74fqo said:
Either you're on the side of style over substance when it comes to a multi-million-dollar career, or you're not. I'm not.

And again, this directly affects you how?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3p6gqbsx said:
therealjohncarlson":3p6gqbsx said:

Thanks
We'll refer this to Mr. Chancellor for comment. Note that inertia causes the raindrops to remain in a helmet-shaped pattern as the force of the impact makes Mr. Davis wonder what universe he's in. Also notice no hands were used in this tackle, yet Mr. Davis was most certainly down.

Llor 062617 getty ftrjpg a6ibokjbwvi41og7wvqbgoaqr

But the reason he was able to tackle that way was because he was completely squared up to the ball carrier. What about the vast majority of times during a game when a player is required to be pulled down in some way, shape, or form?