Pick #170, Tye Smith, CB, Towson

King Dog

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1ox6zr6g said:
Isn't 4.6 40 time slow for CB? A lot of LBs and DE's run that time. They are about 30-40 pounds heavier than CBs. Hope his slowness isn't a hindrance and his other skills make up for the lack of speed.

I read a scouting report on him that he showed up 25 lbs heavier (195 lbs) than his listed playing weight in college, and he said he's still trying to adjust to the new weight. It looks like he did better at his pro day though. I'm sure if it's a problem they will just have him cut weight.

netskier

Reaction score
Dion Sanders might be the craziest comparison.

I think hawknation hit it when he quoted the short shuttle time, since quickness and agility are probably a lot more important than speed for cornerbacks, plus he is faster than Sherman who is clearly fast enough.

themunn

Reaction score
netskier":3c21m58w said:
Dion Sanders might be the craziest comparison.

That would be a crazy comparison
When did Sanders tackle??

Uncle Si

Reaction score
McGruff":2ot0q2jr said:
SalishHawkFan":2ot0q2jr said:
The guy was projected to go undrafted. There is no reason to think he was suddenly a hot commodity out of Towson. Wonder why the Hawks grabbed him now instead of later?

I had him on my perosnal seahawks specific board asa 4th rounder.hes a steal in the 5th.

so far my board has clark as an early 2nd, lockett as a 4th, poole as a 5th, Glowinski as a 2nd and Smith at a 4th.

Every year people complain about how players don't fit into the pre-draft boards created by people who are not in the NFL war rooms. And every year players are drafted either higher or lower than fan expectations.

Makes no sense to me really. Its all speculative on this side. Obviously there is the fan sites, and what NFL scouts, GMs and coaches put together. I'll go with the pros, and it seems your much more closely aligned.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Rocket":30l4yn2b said:
Where the hell is Towson?

It's my back yard. I live in Towson. Towson U is not exactly known for it's football program but the college has been on a steady pace up in all collegiate activities.
NFL Alum includes Dave Meggett.

titan3131

Reaction score
The best possible upside for this guy is to make tharold simon lose his job on the team.

xgeoff

Reaction score
kobebryant":1d7g0d42 said:
Natethegreat":1d7g0d42 said:
I get that we pick who we like and we have certain traits we look for and a belief we can make something out of them but every freaking year we way over reach to get a lot of these guys.
Easily could have had this guy with either sixth round pick if not our seventh.

Citation? Evidence?

Here is his draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552449

Scan down to where it says:

Projection: Undrafted

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":33l1v02q said:
Rocket":33l1v02q said:
Where the hell is Towson?

It's my back yard. I live in Towson. Towson U is not exactly known for it's football program but the college has been on a steady pace up in all collegiate activities.
NFL Alum includes Dave Meggett.

So what do you think of the kid?

McGruff

Reaction score
xgeoff":uzd5uzrz said:
kobebryant":uzd5uzrz said:
Natethegreat":uzd5uzrz said:
I get that we pick who we like and we have certain traits we look for and a belief we can make something out of them but every freaking year we way over reach to get a lot of these guys.

Citation? Evidence?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552286

Projection: 2nd Round

Actual selection: 6th round

So what is a reach? Taking Tye Smith two rounds earlier than NFL.com says he should go, or taking Bennett 4 rounds too early because that's what NFL.com says you should do?

mikeak

Reaction score
McGruff":33z8v1zp said:
[

So what is a reach? Taking Tye Smith two rounds earlier than NFL.com says he should go, or taking Bennett 4 rounds too early because that's what NFL.com says you should do?

I have probably stated it 5 times the past few days but I really laugh at people's post in regards to projected draft status.

The same poster will post this in different threads

1) Clark was drafted way to high. He wasn't going to be picked by ANY other team until fourth round. I know this because the experts said so

Later

2) I can't believe these experts graded our 2012 draft so bad. They know nothing. Our 2015 ranked a D - that is horrible these experts know nothing....

At no point do they reflect on how much they are contradicting themselves.

Bennet is the best example from this past draft

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I can't really say he's a specific reach.

One thing to understand, particularly with the NFL.com and CBS Sports projections, is that they are exceedingly generous to name school prospects (particularly ones that are fairly generic mid round prospects). They also do a very poor job of projecting players from smaller schools.

The other aspect that makes their projections fluctuate wildly, is that they really don't account for team fit at all. The projections are just very vanilla in that respect. By the time you're even looking at 2nd round picks, a DT for example may only be a real fit for half of the teams even looking for one. It's just a very blunt projection.

Smith looked like a day 3 project. That's where he landed. For Seattle, we all understand that Pete has a definite and narrow criteria for what he looks for in his CB projects. We catalogued those prospects before the draft -- but have to assume that maybe half of those probably weren't on our draft board for reasons we aren't privvy to. This draft, there weren't a whole lot of CB prospects that seems physically to be a fit.

Murphy was a slight surprise, mainly because he will switch positions. But I think it also highlights just how few CB prospects really fit what we look for. Seattle definitely focuses on the secondary every draft. So ensuring we get our kind of day 3 guy with a early/mid day 3 pick makes a lot of sense. I figured we'd go DB in R5, just not sure who would be that one.

With the lack of supply, I don't see whomever we took in R5 as a reach. And I certainly don't place a lot of stock on NFL/CBS projections for smaller school prospects. Every single year we see dozens of small school/undrafted rated players get picked ahead of and instead of big school mid round players. It's not just Seattle that doesn't buy into those projections.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
What does it matter? Really...

Seahawks could have taken Lockett at 63. Traded up for Frank Clark at 69.Drafted Glowinski and Gwatchum in the 4th. Soloki in the 5th. Poole and Smith in the 6th. Murphy in the 7th.

It would all be the same freakin players and about the projection of where everyone was "expected" to go.

In actual reality, for all it matters about projections is Seahawks took the guys they wanted, likely when they needed to, or miss out.

This is what these guys are getting paid to do in that war-room, projecting the draft as it happens live, feeling out what others teams are going to do next based on who they chose prior, and protecting the players that they covet the most. Sometimes the board will allow you to wait and sometimes the board will force you to reach.

If you're still basing your whole draft thesis on generic mainstream football insight rather trusting the team that has built 3 playoff rosters and 2 Super bowl rosters over the last 3 years after going through a complete rebuild that saw the team make over 1,000 player transactions in the first two years alone... You're doing it wrong .

original poster

Reaction score
Let's be honest, nobody here has any clue whatsoever how he will turn out.

All this "we could have picked him up later" nonsense is exactly that, nonsense. We don't have any clue whatsoever what other teams are going to do. If we did, we'd be working for a team, not arguing about it on the Internet.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
xgeoff":zwy3g1k0 said:
kobebryant":zwy3g1k0 said:
Natethegreat":zwy3g1k0 said:

Citation? Evidence?

Please don't tell me you think what you just said is logical... :17:

xgeoff

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":3vd9tp2d said:
xgeoff":3vd9tp2d said:
kobebryant":3vd9tp2d said:
Natethegreat":3vd9tp2d said:

Citation? Evidence?

You do realize that projections are just (somewhat) educated guesses, right?

Of course. Someone asked for a citation so I provided it. It's simply evidence that he *may* have been available at a later pick.

xgeoff

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":3h7k1u7v said:
xgeoff":3h7k1u7v said:
kobebryant":3h7k1u7v said:
Natethegreat":3h7k1u7v said:

Citation? Evidence?

Please don't tell me you think what you just said is logical... :17:

How is it not logical? The poster asked for a citation, it was easy to find, from a reputable source. What isn't logical about it?

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":1xhmgoz8 said:
xgeoff":1xhmgoz8 said:
kobebryant":1xhmgoz8 said:
Natethegreat":1xhmgoz8 said:

Citation? Evidence?

You guys are missing the point. A poster asked for citation or evidence on the point that was being made. It wasn't my point, but it was easy to find the citation/evidence. Someone asked for info, I provided it. Simple as that.

xgeoff

Reaction score
FlyHawksFly":2v9p76da said:
xgeoff":2v9p76da said:
You guys are missing the point. A poster asked for citation or evidence on the point that was being made. It wasn't my point, but it was easy to find the citation/evidence. Someone asked for info, I provided it. Simple as that.

Unfortunately, what you provided wasn't evidence at all. It also makes you whole point look a little silly.

It's not my point. And it is evidence. And it's from a very reliable source. You may not agree with it, fair enough. I see no reason why citing a professional analysts opinion makes me look silly. I'd say your comments make you look closed minded and, frankly, not too bright.

Latest posts