Pick #170, Tye Smith, CB, Towson

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I doubt a lot of the talking heads know much about him. I'll bet the Seahawks know a lot about them. If this was a WR I would be sceptical but the Seahawks are a factory of successful DB's.

If the Seahawks draft a CB the guy who wrote the scouting report better take a second look.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Tical21":2plqqolv said:
His tape looks about as good as a corner tape can get, especially when sitting in zone. Granted, his league is a bit subpar, but wow.

[youtube]v0xsKYLRvTE[/youtube]
These are also his highlights, I want to see some lowlights.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The head scratcher to me is the comments about him. Rail thin? He looks pretty stout in his 40 run and weighs the same as Sherman 3" shorter.

Dogs his tackling but he had 80+ this last year and over 100 the year prior. Sounds like he knows how to tackle and definitely not afraid to go after it.

His 40 time is listed at 4.51, Sherman was 4.57.

He is a converted WR just like another CB we know and that highlight clip posted shows his aggressiveness and heads up play.

I could care less where some "experts" say he should have gone. How many said Wilson was a reach in the 3rd? I sure don't regret getting Sherman for a 5th even though I'm sure we could have waited for him too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1rqayl8m said:
SalishHawkFan":1rqayl8m said:
The guy was projected to go undrafted. There is no reason to think he was suddenly a hot commodity out of Towson. Wonder why the Hawks grabbed him now instead of later?
You're inside NFL war rooms? Who's to say he would have made it to our next pick? The Hawks get the players they want and so far it's been more successful than not
Especially when it comes to picking CB's. :th2thumbs:
I'm happy as hell that "They" aren't the ones that are doing the drafting for the Seahawks, as "They" are more often WRONG about who the Seahawks have chosen in the past.

Tical21

Reaction score
We "reach" for guys because if a guy is rated as undrafted by everybody else, we have zero knowledge of this. We think a guy looks good, we take him. It is that simple. Our guys don't give two craps where anybody else rates a player.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The draft is about value. That is my point. Heck if you really like a guy and think he will succeed why not pick Smith in the first right?
So why did we wait till the third with Russel then? Russel has been far more important than Irvin for sure but we picked Irvin first because we operate off others boards as well.
He was projected as undrafted, not even priority free agent much like Statten was last year. I then stated we had three picks left we could have used to insure we got him.
I have nothing against the guy at all. I hope he succeeds it just looks like poor value when a guy like Bennet was sitting there to be had.
This opinion seems to get some people panties in a wad so whatever but like I said I had the same thoughts last year with Statten.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1z6mbcyz said:
The draft is about value. That is my point. Heck if you really like a guy and think he will succeed why not pick Smith in the first right?
So why did we wait till the third with Russel then? Russel has been far more important than Irvin for sure but we picked Irvin first because we operate off others boards as well.
He was projected as undrafted, not even priority free agent much like Statten was last year. I then stated we had three picks left we could have used to insure we got him.
I have nothing against the guy at all. I hope he succeeds it just looks like poor value when a guy like Bennet was sitting there to be had.
This opinion seems to get some people panties in a wad so whatever but like I said I had the same thoughts last year with Statten.

Maybe the Seahawks didn't like Bennett as much as you do.

kobebryant

Reaction score
That is some Seahawky cb stuff right there. Huge wingspan, finds the ball, and hits.

Largent80

Reaction score
City Of Reign":2knqnyf2 said:
I'd have been happier with Nick Marshall, I don't mind a CB but I don't see why they picked this guy, no redeeming value at all

Yeah, making stars out of 5th round picks is so stupid....and quite redundant.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2ugqbw5d said:
Fit is equally important.

Schneider was quoted as saying he wanted to take Wilson in the 1st and not to risk anything but was told they could wait until the 3rd. They have a MUCH better understanding as to where players will be taken than you do, period. Will Tye Smith have a better career than Bennett? We will find out, but the Hawks don't think so. And for you to say a player could have been taken later is completely and utterly false because you have no idea and no way to prove it. This team is very in tune with where they feel like players will go, they don't make "reaches" for the heck of it. They take players in places they think is the last possible point to take them before they're gone for the their next pick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Isn't 4.6 40 time slow for CB? A lot of LBs and DE's run that time. They are about 30-40 pounds heavier than CBs. Hope his slowness isn't a hindrance and his other skills make up for the lack of speed.

Tical21

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2ss5ts7z said:
Isn't 4.6 40 time slow for CB? A lot of LBs and DE's run that time. They are about 30-40 pounds heavier than CBs. Hope his slowness isn't a hindrance and his other skills make up for the lack of speed.
Yeah, but Joe Haden ran pretty slow and is pretty amazing. So did Sherman. So did Marcus Peters.

rideaducati

Reaction score
From the highlights, he looks to be a natural fit on the right side already. A bit of better coaching is now available for this guy. He doesnt look bad.

rideaducati

Reaction score
From the highlights, he looks to be a natural fit on the right side already. A bit of better coaching is now available for this guy. He doesnt look bad.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I'm surprised we are even using our picks since we could obviously sign everyone left as an UDFA

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Timmahawk":ppdhmk6u said:
I'm surprised we are even using our picks since we could obviously sign everyone left as an UDFA
Nominated

clapping-gif12.gif

Meeker

Reaction score
My favorite criticism in drafts is that a certain player could have been taken later as if they know the draft board of every NFL team.

I was a little confused reading his profile because he doesn't sound like a Seahawks corner...but he is a CB...drafted by the Seahawks. Has any other team had similar success in drafting a certain positional group as the Seahawks have had drafting CBs over the past 5 years? I mean I can understand questioning a specific OL or DL player...but CB?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Meeker":1dxc2lmf said:
My favorite criticism in drafts is that a certain player could have been taken later as if they know the draft board of every NFL team. I mean I was a little confused reading his profile because he doesn't sound like a Seahawks corner...but he is a CB...drafted by the Seahawks. Has any other team had similar success in drafting a certain positional group as the Seahawks have had drafting CBs over the past 5 years? I mean I can understand questioning a specific OL or DL player...but CB?

There is some "Seahawky" traits to him though. 6'0, 32 inch arms, former WR, hits and has attitude. Will be 22 as a rook.