Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

xgeoff

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3odo50ir said:
kf3339":3odo50ir said:
And what O-Line is going to block for him?

Should have went Hernandez for LG. Just saying

Ok but we need play makers on offense to aren't you concerned about Carson I mean he's already blown out his knee. Just sayin.

Sure, but there are tons of playmakers at rb in this draft. An epic number, actually...

xgeoff

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1ryjp9cr said:
xgeoff":1ryjp9cr said:
I just hope he can break the tackle of whatever defender happens to be beating Ifedi on any given play...

Which is why they should have drafted Connor Williams, so Ifedi could move back inside, where he is more natural.

You and I are on exactly the same page, except I wanted williams so Ifedi could move back to the bench where he belongs.

Blindside

Reaction score
naholmes":1qmuycml said:
I am definitely questioning the strategy of going RB in round 1. Last year Kamara was taken at 67 and Hunt was taken at 86 so after trading back I thought they could use that 3rd rounder to still get a top flight RB. After making Penny just the 2nd RB off the board my initial reaction was reach but then Michel went right after. If there’s a run on RBs early in round 2 then it means the pick is good value and show that teams are valuing RBs higher. However, if we still see players like Chubb or Ballage on the board at 76 then we might be regretting going there in round 1.

Ignoring value they did get a really good player. I believe Penny to be best fit for the Seahawks because he does not stellar blocking to succeed. His stats for yards after contact and broken tackles prove that out.

I agree with your assessment. We could have traded back down a bit and gotten more picks for this draft.

however, a Will Hernandez type of OL would have opened up the run game for almost any RB.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Penny pick. I think Schneider, and Pete were blinded by his versatility -- after-all that seems to be a quality they really desire in their players. One of his main assets is as a kick off returner, and punt returner. I believe he took 8 TD's back to the house this season, which tied a NCAA record. This leads me to believe that Lockett is going to be a full time receiver.

I don't think Penny is a bad player, on the contrary I like him. It is just that the selection of a running back in the first was a bit perplexing. Our run game obviously needs help -- we were atrocious last season and our leading rusher was Russell Wilson. None of our backs could stay healthy for any significant duration of time. I think this is a reaction the injuries, as Penny as had remarkable durability as a collegiate back.

Why I dislike this pick is the fact that the running back position in this draft is stacked. I think we could have found a viable ball carrier in a later round. Our main, and biggest glaring issue with our running game wasn't necessarily our backs, it was the poor offensive line play. None of our guys generated any push, we're going to be banking on that same group of guys to generate a running game out of thin air. Yes, we signed Fluker, but I'm not convinced that we don't need more help here. At the position we were in at the 18th spot there were several viable lineman, hell Hernandez was available after the trade down.

I'm sure that Penny is going to be a good player for our team, but I'm not positive that it will be the move that will help our team out the most in the long run. I think our first priority should be shoring up our offensive line, and protecting our biggest investment, Russell Wilson. Penny could very well be the best running back in the draft, but it our line can't consistently win their match-ups this pick is all for naught.

On a side note I really liked the blocking from his fullback. It seems on every big play he was involved in, I saw his FB mauling people. I would love to pick this guy up as a UDFA.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I'm ok with this pick. Seattle needed a RB with a chance of being special and Penny gives them that.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
You have made a great, great pick. Don't pay attention to the fools to think they know something about Rashaad Penny. I live here in San Diego. I have season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs. I've seen every game he played both home and away in person and on TV. Rashaad Penny is the REAL DEAL!

5'11" 220 lbs. 4.46 forty yard dash. 2,248 yards rushing, 23 TD's. 7 kick return TD's (tied for an FBS record). He also had punt return TD's in addition to that. Which is all the more impressive when you consider they were terrified to even kick to him. They did not kick to him. If they kicked to him he would have 15 return TD's. He is awesome on special teams and awesome as a RB too.

He catches so good that they would line him up wide and send him deep sometimes. Plus he makes plays that way. They thought at one time of putting him at WR because he catches so well.

Stop paying attention to the FOOLS who think they know something about Penny. He is pretty much on par with Barkley for explosive plays. He may have more yards than Barkley. I could see him be offensive rookie of the year. He has the ability. He's hugely explosive with great vision and moves. The so called "experts" and "analysts" just watch nationally televised games. Therefore they see USC, LSU, Georgia and others and assume (wrongly) that those guys are great or better than Penny (they are not). Penny is just from a less known program, does not get the exposure, does not get the nationally televised games. Both posters on here and analysts suffer from this problem. They have not seen him play and they think they so called experts are right. They are wrong!

I will tell you this. Your GM said they would pick him at #18. He is worth every bit of that. He's a STEAL at #27. In fact if he stays healthy and you build your O Line a bit around him people will look back at this draft and wonder why he was picked #27. Because truth be told he is FAR BETTER THAN THAT. You just got a top 10 - 15 player in this draft. He will go to Pro Bowls if he can stay healthy. I wish we got him. But you did. Good for you.

The guys who are complaining about this are soon to be proven badly wrong. Wait and see!

:D

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3lbc70ns said:
You have made a great, great pick. Don't pay attention to the fools to think they know something about Rashaad Penny. I live here in San Diego. I have season tickets to the San Diego State Aztecs. I've seen every game he played both home and away in person and on TV. Rashaad Penny is the REAL DEAL!

Ah, so you're the unbiased source. :)

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
hawknation2018":iiiubni9 said:
SanDiego49er":iiiubni9 said:

Ah, so you're the unbiased source. :)

He's going to be a super star. You got one of the absolute best players in the draft. I would love to have him. People just have not seen him play and are not familiar with him. Plus the big name programs get the publicity.

He did the same thing to Stanford, Arizona State and at the Senior Bowl. So he did it against the Pac 12 and against the top Senior Bowl competition.

He's special on vision, speed, explosiveness. He just has a real knack for being in the open field and finding the best way to the most yards. He just feels all around him and always chooses the right route. He's very special.

People complaining about him will look really dumb real soon. Sooner than they think. They will LOVE this guy. You will too. You all will. I wish we got him. But he is going to be special for you as long as he stays healthy. You may want to fix that O Line too. That will make him even better.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I've now watched all of Penny's carries from last season. While the total body of work is impressive, I question the overall quality of his competition. Yes, he faced ASU and Stanford, but neither were good against the run in 2017.

hawknation2018":3d9qppe0 said:
Rushing defense stats for Rashaad Penny's opponents in 2017:

UC Davis - FCS team, ranked 109th in rushing yards allowed per game (out of 123 FCS teams)
Arizona State - 96th in rushing yards allowed per carry, 78th in rushing yards allowed per game
Stanford - 80th in per carry, 68th in per game
Air Force - 130th in per carry (dead last in FBS), 118th in per game
Northern Illinois - 5th in per carry, 16th in per game
UNLV - 120th in per carry, 123rd in per game
Boise State - 15th in per carry, 17th in per game
Fresno State - 17th in per carry, 11th in per game
Hawai'i - 113th in per carry, 111th in per game
San Jose State - 118th in per carry, 129th in per game (2nd worst in FBS)
Nevada - 74th in per carry, 110th in per game
New Mexico - 85th in per carry, 65th in per game
Army - 116th in per carry, 75th in per game

So I have to correct my initial statement to say that Penny faced THREE good teams against the run: Northern Illinois, Boise State, and Fresno State.

How did he perform in these games? It's a mixed bag.
Northern Illinois - 25 carries for 107 yards (4.3 YPC), 0 TDs
Boise State - 21 carries for 53 yards (2.5 YPC), 1 TD
Fresno State - 15 carries for 69 yards (4.6 YPC), 0 TDs
Combined - 61 carries for 229 yards (3.7 YPC), 1 TD

Thoughts as a USD insider?

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3arcn9ax said:
This offense doesn't work without a running game. You couldn't rely on Carson or Procise returning to strength for the entire year,

I'm not super big on Penny, but I love the focus to get the running game back to a strength.

This offense doesn’t work without an offensive line.

Should have stayed at 18 and drafted Billy Price.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3tikcvku said:
I've now watched all of Penny's carries from last season. While the total body of work is impressive, I question the overall quality of his competition. Yes, he faced ASU and Stanford, but neither were good against the run in 2017.

hawknation2018":3tikcvku said:

UC Davis - FCS team, ranked 109th in rushing yards allowed per game (out of 123 FCS teams)
Arizona State - 96th in rushing yards allowed per carry, 78th in rushing yards allowed per game

So I have to correct my initial statement to say that Penny faced THREE good teams against the run: Northern Illinois, Boise State, and Fresno State.

This is super easy to explain. Boise State and Fresno State they fell behind and eventually lost both games. They did not run Penny much in those games. Their QB is garbage and cost them some games. He sucks. It was all Penny. The YPC average is bumped up by Penny because he may have 1 for 90 yards. Or another for 65 yards. He does that all the time. Huge, very explosive plays. But they stopped running him in those games. Because they were behind and trying to catch up. They were throwing. I went personally to both games. I was there so I know what happened.

Now you want to say some of the teams were not great run defenses? Well this works both ways. Do you really think Penny had an Alabama line to run behind? NO HE DID NOT! His line is very average. His QB is sub par garbage. The WR's outside were below average. There were no other threats out there. It was all Penny. This effects him in a lot of ways.

Coming in to the year teams would stack an 8 man box to try to stop Penny. When they realized how bad the QB was they would do ridiculous things like 9 guys on the line to try to stop him. They still couldn't! He ran all over them.

If it's just weak competition how come the Pac 12 can't stop him? Because they did not and can't. How come he was so explosive against the supposed best players in college football at the Senior Bowl? Because they can't stop his explosive plays and had absolutely no answer for Penny. He was one of the standouts.

Plus like I said it works BOTH ways. If you think his competition was lower he was also playing with a lessor O Line, awful QB, sub par WR's. All of which would have opened things up for him big time if he had it. Which he did not. It's the same argument with Josh Allen. It's like as if his sucky O Line and garbage WR's didn't effect him. Of course it did. Josh Allen wasn't playing with Alabama or Ohio State.

Against any competition level including Pac 12 and the Senior Bowl he was hugely explosive and a big time play maker. Nobody can stop him. He's going to be GREAT for your team and your fans will love him very quickly.

It's San Diego State Aztecs (SDSU). USD is University of San Diego Torreros. A different University here which also has some players. Just to clarify.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":q024fr9q said:
hawknation2018":q024fr9q said:

hawknation2018":q024fr9q said:

This is super easy to explain. Boise State and Fresno State they fell behind and eventually lost both games. They did not run Penny much in those games. Their QB is garbage and cost them some games. He sucks. It was all Penny. The YPC average is bumped up by Penny because he may have 1 for 90 yards. Or another for 65 yards. He does that all the time. Huge, very explosive plays. But they stopped running him in those games. Because they were behind and trying to catch up. They were throwing. I went personally to both games. I was there so I know what happened.

Now you want to say some of the teams were not great run defenses? Well this works both ways. Do you really think Penny had an Alabama line to run behind? NO HE DID NOT! His line is very average. His QB is sub par garbage. The WR's outside were below average. There were no other threats out there. It was all Penny. This effects him in a lot of ways.

Coming in to the year teams would stack an 8 man box to try to stop Penny. When they realized how bad the QB was they would do ridiculous things like 9 guys on the line to try to stop him. They still couldn't! He ran all over them.

If it's just weak competition how come the Pac 12 can't stop him? Because they did not and can't. How come he was so explosive against the supposed best players in college football at the Senior Bowl? Because they can't stop his explosive plays and had absolutely no answer for Penny. He was one of the standouts.

Plus like I said it works BOTH ways. If you think his competition was lower he was also playing with a lessor O Line, awful QB, sub par WR's. All of which would have opened things up for him big time if he had it. Which he did not. It's the same argument with Josh Allen. It's like as if his sucky O Line and garbage WR's didn't effect him. Of course it did. Josh Allen wasn't playing with Alabama or Ohio State.

Against any competition level including Pac 12 and the Senior Bowl he was hugely explosive and a big time play maker. Nobody can stop him. He's going to be GREAT for your team and your fans will love him very quickly.

It's San Diego State Aztecs (SDSU). USD is University of San Diego Torreros. A different University here which also has some players. Just to clarify.

Yes, thank you. SDSU is the party school, right? :2thumbs:

Some good info here. I appreciate your insights.

ducks41468

Reaction score
Regarding the o-line, we've already spent a massive amount of draft capital on the position over the years; the most in the entire league I think. At this point we need to take what we already have and see if Solari can make it work. If he can't and it becomes clear that our talent evaluation has been the problem and not Cable, then adding yet another failed high pick is a waste. If he can, then we already have enough raw talent on the roster without the draft pick.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Beren":rmkdh63w said:
They tried to trade for Penny AFTER he came off the board.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... haad-penny

Feel even better about last night now.

Or great PR work from John!

Probably the Browns, which would jive with the rumor that they wanted to take him at No. 33.

So whether this makes you feel better about the pick probably depends on whether you trust the Browns' player evaluation.

essonto

Reaction score
This is exactly the guy I was hoping they picked since I saw some tape on him last month. I think he has the opportunity to be special. Time will tell, I guess. Let's see how this plays out until we go all chicken little :D

mistaowen

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF_Louie/status/989851319539298304[/tweet]

Guy who gets yards after contact, where does that sound familiar? :D

Penny checks all the boxes for the type of football player JS and Pete were talking about pre-draft. Seen a couple draft comparisons to David Johnson, especially given the 'swiss army knife' ability of both players rushing, receiving, and on special teams.

I think he did go a bit early but given what we've heard, Browns and at least one other team were very high on him and I'm sure the FO felt they'd miss out on him if they traded back for a late second round pick. They got their guy and I'm hoping he wows us in preseason the same way Carson did last year.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3776uh3u said:
hawknation2018":3776uh3u said:

hawknation2018":3776uh3u said:

In watching the Boise State Highlights, I noted they were targeting Penny as though there were no other options for the SDSU offense. Would that be your evaluation on the other games as well??? I did not watch all of your guys games and am curious. Thanks.

toffee

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1y85vh8r said:
Ignore the whining, this is a great pick for so many reasons.

Personally, I LOVE this pick, and I'm glad they grabbed him because I highly doubt he would have been there much longer... somebody was going to take this guy because he's one of those players who's better than his NFL scout ranking.

I think he's the best RB I've seen the Seahawks draft in a very long time, perhaps only exceeded by Curt Warner and Shaun Alexander, and I think he makes at least 2 pro-bowls with this team.

Here is the THING about Penny.

When he's hit, he doesn't go down... he played behind an offensive line that was nowhere near as good as the other lines you see with the other backs being drafted.

KEY STAT:

Rating the 58 backs avaialbe by how they did when they got hit behind the line of scrimmage?

Barkley was almost dead last in this draft class -- he only averaged .46 years per carry when he was hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Penny was #1 -- he averaged 3.32 yards per carry when hit behind the line of scrimmage.

The last NFL running back to come into the draft averaging over 3 yards per carry when hit behind the LOS?

Marshawn Lynch ....

Just saying...
this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCATES

Reaction score
I like this kid and so did the Seahawks. They were forced to take him in the First because of other teams interested in taking him in the early second. You know the round JS pissed away with bad trades. What was bad last night was JS trade from 18 to 27. Absolutely dumb on so many levels. Teams must know that Seattle is very easily Fleeced in trades.

The Saints gave up a 2019 1st Rounder to jump from 27 to 14, and the Seahawks got back a mid-3rd to slide from 18 to 27. Dope.

Latest posts