Pick #27 Rashaad Penny RB

hawknation2018

Reaction score
tom95":1ak0gn8f said:
vin.couve12":1ak0gn8f said:
AzHawker":1ak0gn8f said:
Terrible. All the talent sitting there and all the needs like corner back or offensive line I mean cmon?!
So Carson,Davis and procise are so bad we need to
waste a first round pick? Seriously.. And how the pats go
to the superbowl and still have 2 first round picks??
The Pats picked Sony Michel right after that soooooo.....
Exactly!

Michel is better. Way more explosive.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I'll assume those panning this pick haven't really seen him play. I discovered him about 18 months ago when he was splitting time with Pumphrey. His talent was immediately evident. He was incredible this last year at SD St. Speed, power, great hands, vision, breaks tackles, runs inside, physical. He's also a tremendous kick returner...if that remains a thing in the NFL.

When I compared his body of work to the other backs this year I couldn't understand why he wasn't more hyped. Only Barkley seemed better overall. I was really hoping we'd get him. Hurts to spend a first on a running back but Penny had a great season, followed by a great senior bowl, followed by a great combine. Teams were starting to notice and he was a fast riser as the draft approached. That's why we took him over where he was projected. I think he's a weapon so I'm okay grabbing him where we did.

chris98251

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2kz1lz2h said:
tom95":2kz1lz2h said:
vin.couve12":2kz1lz2h said:
AzHawker":2kz1lz2h said:
Terrible. All the talent sitting there and all the needs like corner back or offensive line I mean cmon?!
Exactly!

And Fumbles, he will be picking splinters out of his ass in New England, everyone knows he fumbled and were going to see Ahman Green 2.0, great runner but at exactly the wrong time, FUMBLE as Chris Berman would say.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1o8etjup said:
I'm over the initial shock of the pick but don't they say the same thing every year. Oh we had a team say that was their pick etc etc. Seems like this same story comes out every time.

Right up there with “they could’ve gotten him here because some guy on bleacher reports mock draft said so”

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
massari":13ebj03r said:
twisted_steel2":13ebj03r said:
Blitzer88":13ebj03r said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/989719449614798848[/tweet]

But but we could have gotten him in the 4th round!! /s :240039:
Haven't seen anyone say he could've been had in the 4th since he was projected to go in the 2nd by most, but there will be some great RB's that'll be available in the 2nd-4th.

Seen it several times but ok.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3dflank4 said:
tom95":3dflank4 said:
vin.couve12":3dflank4 said:
AzHawker":3dflank4 said:
Exactly!

You gotta put that into context or quantify it or whatever. When I was trying to figure out who the number 2 back was, I originally thought Penny, but went with Michel by the end. However, they are different players. Lateral jump cut is better with Michel. Their N/S acceleration is about on par. Michel doesn't have the home run threat ability that Penny has though. Michel might beat Penny in a 2-3 yard burst I guess MAYBE, but doesn't have the same 2nd gear scratch. Or do you see that differently?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":j36q9ywz said:
hawknation2018":j36q9ywz said:
tom95":j36q9ywz said:
vin.couve12":j36q9ywz said:
Exactly!

And Fumbles, he will be picking splinters out of his ass in New England, everyone knows he fumbled and were going to see Ahman Green 2.0, great runner but at exactly the wrong time, FUMBLE as Chris Berman would say.
Ohhhhh, was it you or someone else who had a stat where Michel fumbled every 50 some odd handles?

naholmes

Reaction score
kf3339":2pb82jhy said:
Blitzer88":2pb82jhy said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Liz_Mathews/status/989719449614798848[/tweet]

That's interesting.
I think I read a similar claim after Frank Clark and I didn’t buy it the first time but that pick worked out.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's what I said it was...I said Michel is like a better actual football player version of Christine Michael. Not as good of an athlete as C Mike (almost no one is), but a much better real football player. Looked like a real interesting prospect to me. Interesting that he fumbles that much though. I saw that, but didn't remember it and obviously didn't take it into account.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2qpo1sh9 said:
hawknation2018":2qpo1sh9 said:
tom95":2qpo1sh9 said:
vin.couve12":2qpo1sh9 said:
Exactly!

You gotta put that into context or quantify it or whatever. When I was trying to figure out who the number 2 back was, I originally thought Penny, but went with Michel by the end. However, they are different players. Lateral jump cut is better with Michel. Their N/S acceleration is about on par. Michel doesn't have the home run threat ability that Penny has though. Michel might beat Penny in a 2-3 yard burst I guess MAYBE, but doesn't have the same 2nd gear scratch. Or do you see that differently?

Michel's play speed is better suited for the NFL. He is Darren Sproles-esque.

Track speed isn't as valuable for RBs in the NFL, as compared to college where backs often get running room against a lot of mediocre athletes. RBs have to be able to cut laterally in the big league.

Own The West

Reaction score
Really like this pick. He was the only thing SDSU had going for it last year and they went 10-3, beat ASU, Stanford.

Everyone in the stadium would know he's going to get the ball and it wouldn't matter. Absolute stud.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2dhzpz1c said:
It was mentioend earlier, but here's a great visual on Penny vs Barkley RAC, and a great article on Penny in general.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-san-diego-state-rb-rashaad-penny-a-first-round-talent

Screen Shot 2018 03 01 at 32721 PM

Barkley is over 230-pounds and all too often runs with the express purpose of avoiding contact. 230-pound backs don’t need to fear contact the way those that barely tip the scales at over 200 do. The key stat that highlights this is that on runs when contacted at or behind the line of scrimmage last season, Barkley averaged fewer than half a yard per carry, which ranked 57th of 58 qualifying backs in this draft class. Penny by contrast averaged 3.32 yards per carry, which led the draft class.

Penny had 31 runs of 15 or more yards last season to – again – lead the draft class. He gained over 1,000 rushing yards on these explosive runs alone, almost 300 more than any other runner, and while again it’s true that this is influenced by the sheer volume of carries he had, his breakaway percentage was good enough for third in the class (54.5 percent), just behind Barkley (55.6 percent).

Penny didn't play in the Big 10. He played for San Diego St. I don't doubt his talent but he is really going to have to prove himself in the pros. Like I said in another post, if all of the Seahawks RBs are healthy and he wins the starting position or the most carries and yards, I will shut my mouth without any problems.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2u7hjydf said:
chris98251":2u7hjydf said:
hawknation2018":2u7hjydf said:
tom95":2u7hjydf said:

Ohhhhh, was it you or someone else who had a stat where Michel fumbled every 50 some odd handles?

That would be me.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=146400

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2018":27baftyo said:
vin.couve12":27baftyo said:
hawknation2018":27baftyo said:
tom95":27baftyo said:

Track speed isn't as valuable for RBs in the NFL, as compared to college where backs often get running room against a lot of mediocre athletes. RBs have to be able to cut laterally in the big league.
Penny doesn't have an issue getting laterally. I myself was more in the mold of a wide jump cutter, but there's also a style where a dude can press the line in downhill fashion and then slide while staying square or n/s. It's different, but a loooot of RBs are really successful with it. Carson has the better lateral jump cut for us. Sort of goes along with the vert in a lot of cases. And then there are those that don't really too. Shady McCoy doesn't have much business being good in the NFL on paper, but he is, for instance. The combine doesn't really measure the jump cut he has.

I guess we'll see, none the less.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
ivotuk":ersfgehc said:
vin.couve12":ersfgehc said:
chris98251":ersfgehc said:
hawknation2018":ersfgehc said:

That would be me.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=146400
WIN

That would be the ultimate tie breaker right there, mmmhmmm.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":6rt6xfso said:
hawknation2018":6rt6xfso said:
vin.couve12":6rt6xfso said:
hawknation2018":6rt6xfso said:

Penny doesn't have an issue getting laterally. I myself was more in the mold of a wide jump cutter, but there's also a style where a dude can press the line in downhill fashion and then slide while staying square or n/s. It's different, but a loooot of RBs are really successful with it. Carson has the better lateral jump cut for us. Sort of goes along with the vert in a lot of cases. And then there are those that don't really too. Shady McCoy doesn't have much business being good in the NFL on paper, but he is, for instance. The combine doesn't really measure the jump cut he has.

Upright running style and choppy steps, rather than wide base, will make him vulnerable to getting caught with arm tackles.

On the other hand, he is a tough, downhill runner who falls forward and broke a lot of tackles last year for SD.

[youtube]LKionSbD3-0[/youtube]

vin.couve12

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1jqft7if said:
vin.couve12":1jqft7if said:
hawknation2018":1jqft7if said:
vin.couve12":1jqft7if said:

Upright running style and choppy steps, rather than wide base, will make him vulnerable to getting caught with arm tackles.

On the other hand, he is a tough, downhill runner who falls forward and broke a lot of tackles last year for SD.

[youtube]LKionSbD3-0[/youtube]
Yeah, already addressed that vs tape. He beats the 1st defender as a norm still. It was the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th defender in those cases. He could have made a few different cuts here and there, but BSU had an oddity of a swarm on him.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
More tape . . .

[youtube]tBssIxrNhGU[/youtube]

Fundamental defense is going to cause problems for him when he can't find a straightaway.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3b6qsnbq said:
ivotuk":3b6qsnbq said:
vin.couve12":3b6qsnbq said:
chris98251":3b6qsnbq said:

That would be me.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=146400
WIN

That would be the ultimate tie breaker right there, mmmhmmm.

Michel is going to have to do a better job taking care of the football; that's a given.

Another factor to consider in the modern NFL is pass protection. Michel was one of the soundest pass protectors in college football. In terms of technique, Penny was one of the worst.

Just looking at their respective size, that should be the other way around. Hence, pass protection being my 2nd major concern with Penny, next to the injury potential due to his running style.

Latest posts