Players You Doubted That Surprised You

Giblien

Reaction score
For me, for a former player, it was Jordan Kent. I REALLY wanted him to work out but he never caught on.

justafan

Reaction score
After the 11 draft someone wrote a post about how we loaded up on DBs and how they all were "beasts".Maxwell,Legree;Sherman,Kam.and Thurmond were all low picks and my statement was something like most of these guys might be special teams but I dont expect much more.Most of those guys ended up being LOB.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
Most of u know im a huge KJ wright fan. When we picked him I believe my thought was well we needed a LBer and we got one. Wasn't that excited and just thought he was bench fodder or starter but we needed more help. Same could be said of Kam I thought I was just a big safety that would get burned a lot. First big hit and I was sold.

I remember the ET draft mayock was hyping earl so much and after philly jumped ahead of us. I was certain he was gone as dawkins had just left for Denver. When they didn't pick him I lost it. I was that guy jumping up and down when we got earl. FYI they still talk about that in philly on a weekly basis.

The Radish

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1tdp1cb4 said:
Surprise: By this time next year I hope I can say "James Carpenter." I hated the pick at the time and haven't seen anything to make me change my mind since then. Still hoping to be proven wrong.

Disappointment: Going to go back a ways for this one: Anthony Simmons. Apart from 1999 when Holmgren tried to play him in the middle, the guy was a beast for his rookie contract. Then he got his money and his career just imploded.

I too thought Simmons was the long term answer. I still have vivid memories of him knocking Michael Vick ass over tea kettles twice when he tried to run on us when he was at Atlanta. Those 2 hits Simmons put on him cured his running against us for the balance of that game.

Watched one play develop from behind Simmons as he keyed on Vick, caught him just before the sidelines behind the line of scrimmage and hit him full tilt knocking him into the Atlanta sidelines. It was a thing of beauty. Vick got up, gave Simmons a long look and never ran the ball again that day.

:les:

MadSweeney

Reaction score
HawkWow":lhfnpzw4 said:
rjdriver":lhfnpzw4 said:
Aaron Curry

1. I doubted him because I wanted them to take Crabtree

2. He surprised me by sucking more than I ever thought a high round pick could.

I wouldn't be too hard on myself over that one. You were in good company. Who knew?
Holding Curry against anyone is a mistake. I doubt there were any credible sources that expected him to be a bust. He was the near consensus best player, or at least defender, in the draft and probably the best overall athlete. Had the college hardware to back it up. A friend of mine who, trust me, knows quite a bit about linebackers (no, not Boz) and has met all the Butkus award winners told me straight up that he was the best and smartest LB he'd ever met. Some people just don't work out. Unfortunately it happens and this was pretty mild in it's long term damage to the team. Not like Leaf for example, for whom the Chargers mortgaged their future in an utterly incomprehensibly stupid trade to move up one spot over AZ, who had just signed Plummer to the biggest contract in the org's history. Definitely a bad result but no fault of anyone's other than Curry.

MadSweeney

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":8c001vtt said:
Kaiser":8c001vtt said:
Earl Thomas. I couldnt fathom why they didnt take Taylor Mays if they wanted a safety. Yikes.

lol I was doing this when they selected Earl Thomas instead of Mays because they were talking about how Pete would maybe want to take a USC player. I was actually pissed because I thought the Eagles would take him but after they selected and we got Thomas it was a fantastic pick :)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19979-1347140242-0.gif

That was the moment when I first knew that Pete knew what he was doing and wasn't going to be sentimental about his USC players. If Carroll didn't want Mays, then there must be something wrong with Mays. In fact, Pete was pretty hard on his former Trojans, getting rid of them pretty quickly in the roster churn.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I'm not surprised nor dissapointed about anyone. I'm clairvoyant!

Seriously, Richard Sherman, Wilson, Baldwin, Wagner all have blown my original expectations completely to hell.

Okung, Unger, Miller, Turbin, Tom Cable.. I expected more

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I'm not surprised nor dissapointed about anyone. I'm clairvoyant!

Seriously, Richard Sherman, Wilson, Baldwin, Wagner all have blown my original expectations completely to hell.

Okung, Unger, Miller, Turbin, Tom Cable.. I expected more

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
Player that outperformed my expectations would be Bailey and Maxwell. Both have performed very well in spot duty, showing growth and skill that exceeded their draft stock. Both could be big time contributors this season if they work, because both have holes in their games that can be exploited if they aren't careful. If they do improve, specifically Bailey, it could be a huge improvement to what is the team's weakest unit.

Who is the guy I backed, who's kool-aid I drank till my stache was red? Im leaving Christine Micheal and Jordan Hill out of this until the end of this year due to their red-shirtiness...I'm going to single out Mr. James Carpenter. The pick was questioned at the time, and pretty much every day since, and while he has shown flashes of brilliance AND been hurt for the majority of his pro career, it is much too evident that he has relied greatly upon his enormous size for the majority of his career and has never really picked up the necessary techniques to succeed at this level. He appears to have the skill necessary but not the drive to really study technique and be able to apply it at game speed. Maybe he will, but somehow I doubt it.

On a separate note, I saw him on that American Muscle show and GAWD that is a humongous human being.

Erebus

Reaction score
I hated the Carpenter pick at the time but I've been cautiously optimistic he could change my mind. Still waiting.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkWow":2c3kw1yn said:
I was (once) "in with Flynn". Feel good in knowing I have punched myself in the groin numerous times since questioning Pete on that fine draft day. Still it haunts me.

I'd say the same thing. I thought Flynn was going to turn out better than he did. I didn't necessarily doubt Wilson, but I bought into the hype that he was too short for a starting QB.

I defended Flynn a lot, but only because I thought he'd be better for the first year, then Wilson could learn behind him and come in and clean up (this was after TC and when we found out we really had something in Wilson).

So I was wrong on Wilson (never been happier to be wrong), but not groin punchingly wrong.

I was pretty wrong on Moffitt. I thought anyone from that Wisconsin line was going to dominate at the NFL level.

I was also wrong about Baldwin. I didn't think he would stay healthy last year.

I still honestly think Irvin will end up being a damned good LB. I have high hopes for Norwood. I think he will end up being a bigger Bobby Engram for us; any 3rd down or clutch catch is going to be him.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Seahawkscrazy":cx8z0b6m said:
Player that outperformed my expectations would be Bailey and Maxwell. Both have performed very well in spot duty, showing growth and skill that exceeded their draft stock. Both could be big time contributors this season if they work, because both have holes in their games that can be exploited if they aren't careful. If they do improve, specifically Bailey, it could be a huge improvement to what is the team's weakest unit.

Who is the guy I backed, who's kool-aid I drank till my stache was red? Im leaving Christine Micheal and Jordan Hill out of this until the end of this year due to their red-shirtiness...I'm going to single out Mr. James Carpenter. The pick was questioned at the time, and pretty much every day since, and while he has shown flashes of brilliance AND been hurt for the majority of his pro career, it is much too evident that he has relied greatly upon his enormous size for the majority of his career and has never really picked up the necessary techniques to succeed at this level. He appears to have the skill necessary but not the drive to really study technique and be able to apply it at game speed. Maybe he will, but somehow I doubt it.

On a separate note, I saw him on that American Muscle show and GAWD that is a humongous human being.

Frustrating, ain't it? The flashes of run blocking brilliance from Carp are at times otherworldly (they clearly saw that ability, thought they could make it consistent and put a 1st round grade on it). I like the dude, and hope it works out - though the responsibility is ultimately individual, the combination of no structured offseason in his rookie year and then the knee makes it tough for a fat dude to get into gear. Andre Smith eventually hit his stride, I think Carp could too.

Before the Hawks even drafted Maxwell I was certain he was a stud NFL cb.

Sherm, didn't like and wasn't aware that he was new to the position.

Liked EJ Wilson from North Carolina, because I thought they had drafted CJ Wilson from East Carolina (whom the Hawks probably thought they had drafted as well considering CJ had a draftable grade and went to the Pack, and EJ was out of nowhere).

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I seem to recall this being a topic last year. Probably a good recurring thread since there are new players added each year. But, as I think I said before last year, Richard Sherman. This isn't actually in the "surprise" category, but more the outright "wrong" category. But, I'll fess up anyway. (Sorry I ever doubted you, Sherm.) Wasn't particularly impressed by his play in a post-season pre-draft college all-star game. Then, when the Hawks drafted him... I thought it was a waste of a pick. Yikes! I couldn't have been more wrong.

I did doubt Kearse, as well. I would say he definitely fits that surprise category. Baldwin was never doubted because he seemed to come out of nowhere strong from the start. Didn't have time to doubt him. DeShawn Shead sure is turning into a nice surprise. I didn't really doubt him... I just didn't really think he would stick around long enough to be doubted. Not sure there's enough game action to evaluate him, but the Hawks sure valued him enough to keep him around when he could have been purged to another team. He went in to the game when Kam Chancellor needed to temporarily come out during the Super Bowl.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Agree with all the names mentioned so far. I'll add Sweezy as my surprise player with regard to how long we have stuck with him at RG and the level of enthusiasm the coaching staff seems to have for him going forward, given his suspect - and at times terrible - pass protection last year. Hopefully in 2014 we will see what Cabes sees in this guy and I can elevate his surprise category from mild consternation to genuine enthusiasm.

I'll take Okung as my disappointing player based purely on his health issues and resulting lack of consistency. I was really high him as our FOA pick in 2010 and when he has been on the field he has been as advertised. But his inability to consistently stay on the field has been a disappointment for me, to the point where I am not sure I want us to commit long-term to him at a high cost.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I doubted Huaschuka and but he has been awesome.

I thought Percy would be the key to a superowl run. Turned out he was an afterthought. When he finally came back but was immediately injured I thought our super owl chances were done. I guess in that sense the whole Seahawk team surprised me. They didn't need him after all.

Now if he is really back, focused, ready, and on the same page as our QB then the rest of the NFL should be a lot more concerned than they seem to be.

Escamillo

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":27tgxk1z said:
jlwaters1":27tgxk1z said:
pmedic920":27tgxk1z said:
Kearse, now one of my current favs.

Kearse was also mine. Frankly after 2012 I couldn't stand the guy, after his average play and his inane appearances on the Real Rob Report, I thought for sure he'd be a 1-year wonder and would be bounced in training camp last year.

Instead he became a solid player making 2 of the biggest plays of the year.

1) TD catch against Carolina, that catch lead to our 1st win last year, incredibly important play.
2) SF TD catch on 4th down. Easily a top 5 play of all of last year for the Seahawks.

So I'm much more fond of him this year than last. I'm really hopeful that my man Kevin Norwood can make the squad, I think that would give us a really good, young group of WR's. Harvin, Baldwin, Kearse, P-Rich, Norwood & Lockette (if 6 are kept.)

What about his superbowl catch where he broke through 4 dbs and scored. If the game had been close that might of been a top 10 ALL TIME superbowl TD it was that amazing.

jermaine-kearse-touchdown-catch-b.gif

"That's one of the best plays I've ever seen in a Super Bowl" - Ed McCaffery, Denver Broncos radio color commentator on Kearse's SB TD right after the play.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Curry hands down my biggest disappointment. Like several others, I wanted Crabtree.
Bruce Irvin #2 on my list. Just has not played up to the level at which he was drafted.
#3, Carpenter. Hugely (pun intended) inconsistent (mostly poor).

Biggest happy surprise, all the lower round draft choices/UDFAs that have contributed. Most teams hit on one or two, Hawks have hit on so many.
Also, I was wrong about Max Unger. He was crap at guard but obviously out of position. I was one of the folks on these boards that was very unhappy they were making him the starting center. Obviously he proved to be much better as a center, especially in 2012 when he wasn't hurt. Really hoping he stays healthy and returns to that form this year.

OrFan

Reaction score
The crap, oops Carp pick had me thinking it was a good move at first, then I saw him on the field. Bummer.

I changed my mind about Carp at the end of his first season and thought he might end up ok.

I have now returned to the bummer reaction and have pretty much given up on him becoming average at best.

Please make me look like a fool, Carp!

BASF

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":1wbsyp4u said:
What about his superbowl catch where he broke through 4 dbs and scored

You are short changing Kearse here. He actually broke the tackle of two dbs and two linebackers (including Danny Trevathan who prior to the Super Bowl told NFL Network that he was going to use the game to make himself a household name) Which of course made me laugh my ass off when he allowed Kearse to slip through his fingers.

In regards to the topic, I have to admit that my biggest doubt was Marshawn Lynch when we traded for him. The fact is that he didn't seem to be giving full effort in Buffalo and that we were wasting our time. Career renaissance is not a strong enough expression. It is nothing short of amazing what Lynch has accomplished since coming to Seattle.