POLL: How Long Until The Hawks Get Back To The Super Bowl?

How Soon Will It Take For The Hawks To Get Back To The Super Bowl?

• This year. (mic drop)

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • 2 years at least.

Votes: 39 29.3%
  • 3 years at least.

Votes: 29 21.8%
  • 4 years at least.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 5 years or longer.

Votes: 18 13.5%

• Total voters

Seymour

Reaction score
Hawker8989":1wtp3onk said:
I want another SB win. I really do. Honestly, I still can't get over SB 49. A part of me died that night. My hope is winning another SB will ease the pain. But, I had to go on leave from work for a month following that game.

I believe this team will win it all this season. Just a gut feeling.

How the hell did you live through SB40??? :shock: :shock:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Aros":ugqws95z said:
I think our offense is going to flat out shock people this year. Our defense will be good...Above average good. I see the offense top 10, perhaps top 5 even and the defense top 10-15.

Stop Sleeping On Seattle Mediots.
Can you give any solid reason why Seattle will be good this year besides "im a hawk fan"? I think they will be better than most people are predicting, but I do not know where this "Superbowl" talk is coming from. If you're a pundit, WHAT gives you any sort of indication that this team will be above average? The answer is nothing.

Our offensive line is the same group of misfits we've been fielding for the last few years. Solari won't magically make them block better. It will take several years to fix this mess. They will be better at runblocking just by virtue of Fluker, but in pass pro I expect the same old garbage. Don't expect Schottenheimer to adjust to our poor line either. We essentially hired a second Bevell. The movement from Bevell to Schottenheimer was a straight across trade as far as I'm concerned. Our receivers are worse off than last year, we lost Richardson, and we have no viable threat on the outside other than a receiver that is ready for his AARP card and social security benefits. Doug is good on the outside, but really he does his best work from the slot. Darboh could be something, but we know next to nothing about him. Our outside threats that are known quantities consist of Doug Baldwin, that is it. Even he does his best work from the slot. We have nobody that can replace Richardson's position on the team. A lot of people are looking at Lockett, but Lockett in my mind is more of a slot guy, and role player. The position here is worse off than last year, especially since our biggest redzone threat is now gone, Jimmy Graham.

On defense we lost our best defensive tackles, and top pass rusher, we lost Chancellor, Thomas is sitting out, Sherman was cut. Our corners consist of Griffin, whom i am not worried about and Maxwell. The thought of Maxwell without a safety of Thomas's caliber shading him is a pretty awful thought. We have no known pass rusher aside from Frank Clark. The only real improvement that has been made here was to the linebacking core (i'm drinking the griffin koolaid).

Objectively we are worse off than last year. The only two positions where have made some real strides are LB, and RB. The O-Line will also be better, but not by a large margin. This is a team that is reloading, I have no idea where the enthusiasm is coming from.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2nimny50 said:
Can you give any solid reason why Seattle will be good this year besides "im a hawk fan"? I think they will be better than most people are predicting, but I do not know where this "Superbowl" talk is coming from. If you're a pundit, WHAT gives you any sort of indication that this team will be above average? The answer is nothing.

The answer for you is "nothing"; not for others of us.

#1 - With a quality QB, a team always has a chance. RW is top-tier, and clutch. He'll always give us a chance, as we saw this last year, even with a highly imbalanced offense due to an inept running game. When the running game is better this next year, Russ will also be a greater threat to run as well.

#2 - If everyone's complaints about Bevell were true, then there's no way Schotty will be worse. He is an upgrade just because he's not Bevell, right? After all, that was the argument made by so many for far too long. Otherwise, we can say the O is undetermined, but there are reasons for optimism.

#3 - You're simply wrong about the O-line not improving quickly under a different coach. Again, if Cable was as bad as everyone was saying (including DBrown declining immediately on relocating here in Seattle under Cable), Solari will indeed provide improvement to the line. It will be noticeable this coming year.

#4 - RBs as a whole have more potential and real past production than last year's group; and yes, I would count college as production. The line will look better, and the RBs will help them look better, too.

#5 - New energy from hungry rookies provides an upgrade over complacent, well-paid vets. There's a reason so many of the latter are now gone. And while we may have had a once-in-a-generation squad in the LoB, Pete's ability to coach up the defense hasn't ended, nor has his system. New players will buy in and we'll just see how well the system works with others plugged in.

#6 - The WR core with Baldwin, Brown, Lockett, Marshall, Darboh, Stringfellow, etc, provide RW good enough options to move the chains, especially with a decent running game this year. The targets will simply be different.

#7 - How has the kicking game not upgraded with Walsh gone? That aspect of the game kept us from at least one win, if not two (or potentially 3 including the Falcons game) last season.

#8 - As you noted, the upgraded LB position will be a strength this year.

#9 - Injuries were a tough break in 2017-2018. It will always be a wild-card, but good health is just as possible as injuries. Why not believe last year won't be repeated?

Reasons for optimism? There are a number of indications available even without Hawk-colored glasses. They aren't over-the-top, either.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3jjbr1y2 said:
#10 - let me add the Tight End position with Dissly will have the ability to block this year, too. That will increase RZ running production, countering I'm Jimmy's loss. That's an upgrade, since this team wants to run the ball.

Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3g4zzpnz said:
Ad Hawk":3g4zzpnz said:

Dissly's a better blocker (obviously), but he's not replacing 10 TD's...............and might need a year or two to become a complete TE.

That's the problem with most of our roster now, there are question marks at every position except LB and QB. Doesn't mean the draft picks and unproven players can't step up and play well, but we don't know. We............just............don't.............know.

He doesn't need to catch 10 TD's if running backs can actually score touchdowns this year. I believe I saw a stat that the 1 RB touchdown we got last year was the worst of all time, or at least tied. Jimmy is a terrific RZ match up nightmare and it took 3 seasons to use it, other teams score plenty of touchdowns with a competent running game and effective play action in close. Schotty loves RB's/TE's catching in the backfield from misdirection, defenses actually thinking a running back could score leads to wide open dump off TD's.

Rest of the roster, we will see. I am excited to watch pre-season games for the first time in a couple seasons, should be some good battles for starting spots. I'm in the camp that feels Pete will get the LOB revamped quickly given his coaching ability, scheme, and the athletic profiles on the roster.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":292p01qs said:
Ad Hawk":292p01qs said:

Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seymour":468oqa5x said:
Sgt. Largent":468oqa5x said:
Ad Hawk":468oqa5x said:

Not directly but he can help! Last year we had 1 rushing TD from RB's IIRC. In 2005 Alexander himself had 27! If Dissly's run blocking can help us get back to norm, plus any passing contributions, that combination could more than makeup for Graham IMO because we now are not 1 dimensional any longer in the RZ and other things will begin to open up. :2thumbs:

Yep, I agree, Seymour.

The balanced attack should be better, considering last year's running game was an NFL low.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
mistaowen":cbfzhv9k said:
Sgt. Largent":cbfzhv9k said:
Ad Hawk":cbfzhv9k said:

He doesn't need to catch 10 TD's if running backs can actually score touchdowns this year. I believe I saw a stat that the 1 RB touchdown we got last year was the worst of all time, or at least tied. Jimmy is a terrific RZ match up nightmare and it took 3 seasons to use it, other teams score plenty of touchdowns with a competent running game and effective play action in close. Schotty loves RB's/TE's catching in the backfield from misdirection, defenses actually thinking a running back could score leads to wide open dump off TD's.

Rest of the roster, we will see. I am excited to watch pre-season games for the first time in a couple seasons, should be some good battles for starting spots. I'm in the camp that feels Pete will get the LOB revamped quickly given his coaching ability, scheme, and the athletic profiles on the roster.

Well said concerning the running game/play action combination. I also agree with Pete's ability to get the D back up to speed, even with players not name Sherm, Kam, and Thomas (though I absolutely understand the inability to simply replace exactly their skill--both athletic and brains).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":m7thszms said:
Sgt. Largent":m7thszms said:
Ad Hawk":m7thszms said:

But we are one dimensional at the TE position, just the other way around now.

Dissly caught 3 TD's his entire college career. Or are you counting on Ed Dickson to not have to go into a nursing home before the season begins.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ftdawdo2 said:
Seymour":ftdawdo2 said:
Sgt. Largent":ftdawdo2 said:
Ad Hawk":ftdawdo2 said:

Dissly caught 3 TD's his entire college career. Or are you counting on Ed Dickson to not have to go into a nursing home before the season begins.

Nope...Russell doesn't think so. Heard a recent interview, and he thinks Vannett will step up, and Swoops showed promise IMO. I think we could be better than many think there....but I was mostly addressing the 10 TD's that people worry about missing.
With Graham last year we were ZERO dimensional between the 20's.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1xrqhknr said:
Sgt. Largent":1xrqhknr said:
Seymour":1xrqhknr said:
Sgt. Largent":1xrqhknr said:

Nope...Russell doesn't think so. Heard a recent interview, and he thinks Vannett will step up, and Swoops showed promise IMO. I think we could be better than many think there....but I was mostly addressing the 10 TD's that people worry about missing.

Wait, Russell's optimistic? LOL, shocker!

I hope you're right, but my original comment stands. No one knows how any of these guys will pan out, none of them are proven commodities beyond Dickson, and he's just your run of the mill 2nd or 3rd string TE.

chris98251

Reaction score
McKissic scored our lone RB TD on a pass play last year from like the 20 if I remember correctly.

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3mx56wc2 said:
Seymour":3mx56wc2 said:
Sgt. Largent":3mx56wc2 said:
Seymour":3mx56wc2 said:

Wait, Russell's optimistic? LOL, shocker!

I hope you're right, but my original comment stands. No one knows how any of these guys will pan out, none of them are proven commodities beyond Dickson, and he's just your run of the mill 2nd or 3rd string TE.

That is why uncle Paul is buying this site so we can continue to figure that out for Pete. :2thumbs: 8)

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Seymour":muq7w9u0 said:
jlwaters1":muq7w9u0 said:
It's amazing how perceptions change based on a few plays. Heck we were literally 1 kick (field goal) away from a 10 win season last year. How, do you suppose the perception from the national media would be if we only made that 1 kick?.......

Little to none because of this shit show at home.

Nonsense, blowouts are an outlier for this team. They have happened so rarely that you can count the times they've occurred on 1 hand with fingers to spare in the Russell Wilson era. Only an ignoramus would judge the entire season off 1 bad game. Even games where Seattle loses by 9 or more points are a rare.

Note- I define blowouts are losses of 17 or more points.

Blowouts (17 or more point losses)

2016- Week 14 @GB- 28 Pts
2017- Week 15 LAR- 35 Pts

Decisive defeats (9 or more points- 2 scores)

2014- Week 2 @ SD- 9 Pts (first in RW's career, would have been just 6 points but we were cute and gave them a FG with no time to spare.

2015- Week 2 @ GB- 10 pts
2016- Week 12 Bucs- 11 Pts
2016- DIV RND- @ATL- 16 Pts. - To be fair this felt more like a blowout despite the final score.

So in 6 years We've had 2 "blowouts" and 6 total losses decided by more than 8 points, I'd be willing to bet that's the best in the league over that time period.

With 2016 having half of those loses.

jeremiah

Reaction score
In January of 2020, the Seahawks will return the the Super Bowl. They will finally strike that balance between a great offense, and a bend but don't break defense needed to win. Defense is not where the money needs to go in the game of today. It was simply a confluence of youth, talent and low salary that allowed them to win the first one. With that said, they should have had a three-peat, but they decided to pay Lynch and Wilson instead of using them until the last minute and signing Wilson to a big contract, and telling Marshawn to take a hike. The O line, and the D line should have been where the money was spent. After a 3 year run of dominance, who would care if they slacked off and had to rebuild?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":32f60eq2 said:
Spin Doctor":32f60eq2 said:

#1 - With a quality QB, a team always has a chance. RW is top-tier, and clutch. He'll always give us a chance, as we saw this last year, even with a highly imbalanced offense due to an inept running game. When the running game is better this next year, Russ will also be a greater threat to run as well.

#2 - If everyone's complaints about Bevell were true, then there's no way Schotty will be worse. He is an upgrade just because he's not Bevell, right? After all, that was the argument made by so many for far too long. Otherwise, we can say the O is undetermined, but there are reasons for optimism.

#3 - You're simply wrong about the O-line not improving quickly under a different coach. Again, if Cable was as bad as everyone was saying (including DBrown declining immediately on relocating here in Seattle under Cable), Solari will indeed provide improvement to the line. It will be noticeable this coming year.

#4 - RBs as a whole have more potential and real past production than last year's group; and yes, I would count college as production. The line will look better, and the RBs will help them look better, too.

#5 - New energy from hungry rookies provides an upgrade over complacent, well-paid vets. There's a reason so many of the latter are now gone. And while we may have had a once-in-a-generation squad in the LoB, Pete's ability to coach up the defense hasn't ended, nor has his system. New players will buy in and we'll just see how well the system works with others plugged in.

#6 - The WR core with Baldwin, Brown, Lockett, Marshall, Darboh, Stringfellow, etc, provide RW good enough options to move the chains, especially with a decent running game this year. The targets will simply be different.

#7 - How has the kicking game not upgraded with Walsh gone? That aspect of the game kept us from at least one win, if not two (or potentially 3 including the Falcons game) last season.

#9 - Injuries were a tough break in 2017-2018. It will always be a wild-card, but good health is just as possible as injuries. Why not believe last year won't be repeated?

Reasons for optimism? There are a number of indications available even without Hawk-colored glasses. They aren't over-the-top, either.
1. History has also shown that one guy can't do it alone. It is a tough battle to get to the SuperBowl, and when weather conditions get worse a good defense, and running game become important. A QB can put us into the playoffs, sure, but you surely won't be going all the way without some kind of support. Objectively we're relying on a bunch of unproven players, and has-beens. Can we make it to the playoffs? Absolutely, Superbowl? Unlikely.

2. Bevell was a bad OC, but Schottenheimer isn't any better. He has been re-treaded for the fourth time. I think he does offer some advantages over Bevell, mainly he runs a much tighter ship. That being said he is practically the same dude, and he possesses many of the same flaws. If you're banking on him to magically become an above average OC I think you're putting your hopes in the wrong places. Wilson may make his stats look better ala' Bevell, but I suspect most fans will have the same exact gripes, and rightfully so. Another negative is the complexity of his offense, and how crazy his naming conventions are. This is not an offense that will come running out of the gates even if he has learned a thing or two.

3. They will improve, I don't think it will be the magical improvement most are hoping for. Slightly better is what they will be. Some of these offensive lineman could be just bad picks overall that are unteachable. Brown is also at the age where LTs start declining. Overall we have a line that is filled with unknowns, or proven failures. Until they show me otherwise I'm not going to count them as magically being better. A good coach can change things, but sometimes, and much of the time drastic change takes more than one year.

4. College production? That is non-sense. The NFL is completely different than the college game. You can't say a player is going to be good in the NFL because he produced in college. How many times have we been proven wrong on this matter? Particularly at the RB position. By this logic Trent Richardson, Lawrence Phillips, Beanie Wells, William Green, and Dayne should have been some of the best backs the NFL has ever seen. You cannot say a player is "proven" because of college statistics. You know better than that. Will our RB position be better? Probably, how much better? Hard to say. Not much info on any of them besides McKissic. Penny could be a bust for all we know, will I think he bust?Not really, but on the same token I can't say that he will light the league on fire either.

5. This sounds nice, but there is no substance here. Even when the Seahawks first burst onto the scene and jettisoned the old guard, we still had a couple of years before we were truly could start thinking about the Super Bowl. We got rid of a lot of talent, and we're replacing much of that talent with young dudes who haven't proven little to anything in the NFL. What is even worse is the Seahawks drafting record over the last few years. Not anything to be excited about. We've had trouble acquiring new talent, which was one of the major reasons why we were in the state that we were in 2017. Will we have some break out players? Maybe, but you can't count on it, and you certainly can't count on the legendary 2012 class to come again.

6. Doug Baldwin is our only proven receiver. Marshall could have a late career revival, it certainly has happened before. What I'm saying is, don't count on it. More often than not situations like this turn sour. This is a coin flip here, I personally think that he is going to be a situational/utility player. I think he can at least be a redzone threat of sorts. If Marshall can't rekindle his flame we really have nobody that is a proven threat on the outside. Lockett is mostly a slot guy, and Darboh only saw the field a few times last year. We know practically nothing about the guy.

7. Did I not mention the kicking game? I think it'll be improved, certainly.

8. Agree

9. Injuries were a big one, for sure. Unfortunately we kicked some of our major talent to the curb for good reasons I think. Hard to say how this new unit will function given what I've mentioned before. A bunch of old vets, and young players. I think this needed to happen, but I am very much looking at this like the 2010-2011 years. I think some of that young talent needs to develop before we get to a Super Bowl. We could get lucky, and everything can work out in our favor, it has happened before. What I am saying is that we have so many variables, and so many events that need to come together, what we really would need is a perfect storm of sorts. I think this year is a reset for Carroll. I think in 2019 we could be a team to be reckoned with if a few players, and key signings go our way -- even with how poorly I think of Schottenheimer.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2b533qpt said:
Ad Hawk":2b533qpt said:
Spin Doctor":2b533qpt said:

1. History has also shown that one guy can't do it alone. It is a tough battle to get to the SuperBowl, and when weather conditions get worse a good defense, and running game become important. A QB can put us into the playoffs, sure, but you surely won't be going all the way without some kind of support. Objectively we're relying on a bunch of unproven players, and has-beens. Can we make it to the playoffs? Absolutely, Superbowl? Unlikely.

2. Bevell was a bad OC, but Schottenheimer isn't any better. He has been re-treaded for the fourth time. I think he does offer some advantages over Bevell, mainly he runs a much tighter ship. That being said he is practically the same dude, and he possesses many of the same flaws. If you're banking on him to magically become an above average OC I think you're putting your hopes in the wrong places. Wilson may make his stats look better ala' Bevell, but I suspect most fans will have the same exact gripes, and rightfully so. Another negative is the complexity of his offense, and how crazy his naming conventions are. This is not an offense that will come running out of the gates even if he has learned a thing or two.

3. They will improve, I don't think it will be the magical improvement most are hoping for. Slightly better is what they will be. Some of these offensive lineman could be just bad picks overall that are unteachable. Brown is also at the age where LTs start declining. Overall we have a line that is filled with unknowns, or proven failures. Until they show me otherwise I'm not going to count them as magically being better. A good coach can change things, but sometimes, and much of the time drastic change takes more than one year.

4. College production? That is non-sense. The NFL is completely different than the college game. You can't say a player is going to be good in the NFL because he produced in college. How many times have we been proven wrong on this matter? Particularly at the RB position. By this logic Trent Richardson, Lawrence Phillips, Beanie Wells, William Green, and Dayne should have been some of the best backs the NFL has ever seen. You cannot say a player is "proven" because of college statistics. You know better than that. Will our RB position be better? Probably, how much better? Hard to say. Not much info on any of them besides McKissic. Penny could be a bust for all we know, will I think he bust?Not really, but on the same token I can't say that he will light the league on fire either.

5. This sounds nice, but there is no substance here. Even when the Seahawks first burst onto the scene and jettisoned the old guard, we still had a couple of years before we were truly could start thinking about the Super Bowl. We got rid of a lot of talent, and we're replacing much of that talent with young dudes who haven't proven little to anything in the NFL. What is even worse is the Seahawks drafting record over the last few years. Not anything to be excited about. We've had trouble acquiring new talent, which was one of the major reasons why we were in the state that we were in 2017. Will we have some break out players? Maybe, but you can't count on it, and you certainly can't count on the legendary 2012 class to come again.

6. Doug Baldwin is our only proven receiver. Marshall could have a late career revival, it certainly has happened before. What I'm saying is, don't count on it. More often than not situations like this turn sour. This is a coin flip here, I personally think that he is going to be a situational/utility player. I think he can at least be a redzone threat of sorts. If Marshall can't rekindle his flame we really have nobody that is a proven threat on the outside. Lockett is mostly a slot guy, and Darboh only saw the field a few times last year. We know practically nothing about the guy.

7. Did I not mention the kicking game? I think it'll be improved, certainly.

8. Agree

9. Injuries were a big one, for sure. Unfortunately we kicked some of our major talent to the curb for good reasons I think. Hard to say how this new unit will function given what I've mentioned before. A bunch of old vets, and young players. I think this needed to happen, but I am very much looking at this like the 2010-2011 years. I think some of that young talent needs to develop before we get to a Super Bowl. We could get lucky, and everything can work out in our favor, it has happened before. What I am saying is that we have so many variables, and so many events that need to come together, what we really would need is a perfect storm of sorts. I think this year is a reset for Carroll. I think in 2019 we could be a team to be reckoned with if a few players, and key signings go our way -- even with how poorly I think of Schottenheimer.

So without one play run you already want to start fire Schottenhiemer threads then. Thats a positive outlook without seeing anything, can't wait till the first hick up :p