Votes: 134 56.3%
  • Overpaid

Votes: 102 42.9%
  • Underpaid

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

TalonHawk

Reaction score
I said it a few times in the trade thread that they overpaid for him. A 29 year old, who is likely past his prime, going into a contract year, should not warrant a second and fifth rounder. Yes, maybe they will get a comp pack for him if he leaves, but at best, that’s usually a late third rounder and the team must not sign other players in the off-season in order to keep that pick. It also shows that, Dre’Mont Jones isn’t bringing the return they thought. That admission makes it even worse. In my opinion, he will need to absolutely light it up for the rest of the year in order for this trade to even come close to justifying it.
"29 year-old who is past his prime"? This is a very below average take!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
SOMEONE TELL AARON DONALD HE'S PAST HIS PRIME.

Also, we're paying him veteran minimum. Damn near an underpaid.

Kinger95

Reaction score
We gave up likely pick 50-55 and a 5th for someone we are pretty much paying nothing

The bears gave up pick 35 ish for someone they are paying the rest of his salary and is gonna be considerably expensive to retain

Pros and cons to everything

morgulon1

Reaction score
I dont understand the 'past his prime' take. D Tackles tend to play a bit longer in the league. Brandon Mebane was brought back at 34 when he was in LA. Fletcher Cox just signed a 10 mill a year deal at 32. J Reed is 30 and one of our Ds most valuable contributors (without him, we'd be struggling).

The list of 30+ year old DTs who are major contributors to their teams isn't short.

You also have to consider this move in the context of them maybe thinking Mone won't be back and will be released . It didn't make sense for them to cut him this year because his salary was basically guaranteed because of his injury. Next year, that's not the case. So, if they deem Williams as a piece worth getting now and greater than the value they see in the 2nd rd next year, then I certainly can't argue that.

I dont think you can look at the move as a 'player for picks' transaction in isolation. There are other pieces in play that stretch into their draft plans next year, no doubt.
This.

And I have a future fantasy type idea that Williams at his age , could possibly be open to the idea of sticking around with a contender . He's been with the NYJ and NY Giants for his entire career. Mr John Schneider is kinda good at putting deals together .

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
SOMEONE TELL AARON DONALD HE'S PAST HIS PRIME.

Also, we're paying him veteran minimum. Damn near an underpaid.
So now we are comparing Aaron Donald to Leonard Williams? Also, we are paying him veteran minimum for less than one season. He’s not going to go for anywhere close to veteran minimum his next contract.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
I like the player a lot. Rent a player trades I’m not a big fan of. Hopefully he plays well and enjoys it here and considers coming back.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
It's an overpay by most neutral observers account and I would agree. I'm not terribly upset if they sign him. If it's a one year rental I would vastly prefer to have that second round pick.

At this point I just expect the seahawks to pay what no one else in the league will. It's par for the course at this point.

renofox

Reaction score
Whether I like this or not depends 100% on Geno's brain.

A move like this to go one-and-done in the playoffs would suck. A move like this to make an actual playoff run would be outstanding.

It all depends whether we keep seeing "oh, ****" Geno several times a game, or if he can just be "attaboy, Geno" more consistently. 1 oh,**** erases ~30 attaboys in football. Geno's in negative territory now, but if he can climb to the positive side before playoffs the trade will be worth it - the Seahawks will be making an actual playoff run if that's the case.

Pete must have confidence that Geno will get his head straight before playoff time, or I don't think he would have made this trade.

I don't have a whole lot of confidence, but my HOPE springs eternal.

AZHawk

Reaction score
I said it a few times in the trade thread that they overpaid for him. A 29 year old, who is likely past his prime, going into a contract year, should not warrant a second and fifth rounder. Yes, maybe they will get a comp pack for him if he leaves, but at best, that’s usually a late third rounder and the team must not sign other players in the off-season in order to keep that pick. It also shows that, Dre’Mont Jones isn’t bringing the return they thought. That admission makes it even worse. In my opinion, he will need to absolutely light it up for the rest of the year in order for this trade to even come close to justifying it.

Wasn't the trade more like a second and a fifth, plus $10 million in salary? If they win one or more post-season games this year, it will have easily been worth the trade.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
So now we are comparing Aaron Donald to Leonard Williams? Also, we are paying him veteran minimum for less than one season. He’s not going to go for anywhere close to veteran minimum his next contract.
If he is going to sign for nowhere near vet minimum after the season and we gave up a 2nd in 2024 and a 5th in 2025, how did we overpay if we are paying the minimum?

"The second pick of the round will receive a $9.8 million contract with a $4.15 million signing bonus. The numbers decrease each pick until the 32nd pick where the player will receive a $6.17 million contract with a $1.49 million signing bonus"

Are
we not going to save a minimum of 900k next year if he signs elsewhere. That savings combined with a potential high comp pick if he is offered big money? An additional 3rd round draft pick that we could use to bundle and move into the 2nd of there was a player that they had to have?

And, if he signs elsewhere and that team keeps their second, do they not lose salary cap flexibility with the signing if the 2nd and Williams?

what am I missing here?

Sounds like an even trade to me.

CASeahawk

Reaction score
Looking at the loss of a 2nd round draft pick for a player of impact now is a little short sighted. Just look at the youth of this roster. Amazing!! Looking at our actice roster we have 21 players with 1-2 years of experience and 27 if you go 1-3 years. Take into account reserved injured players and PUP that number jumps to 34. Adding a veteran with so much young talent is awesome. WE are young with a lot of talent. Players with this type of ability are valuable, not only for immediate impact, but for the future growth of these young players. I for One love this trade!!!

nwHawk

Reaction score
Wasn't the trade more like a second and a fifth, plus $10 million in salary? If they win one or more post-season games this year, it will have easily been worth the trade.
Isn’t more like a 2nd and 5th for Williams and $10 million in salary?

Fade

Reaction score
I voted fair.

I just want him to be here long term. There is a high percentage chance of losing him, regardless of the assurances and head nods either side may or may not have given about staying long term. Money talks.

toffee

Reaction score
if Reed needs to rest for couple of games, suddenly, this trade will look like a good deal. Neither Montez Sweat or Chase Young can step in and play Reed's role. Ask yourself, do you really want Cam Young or Myles Adams start games in the heat of playoff chase?

Remember this.

GemCity

Reaction score
I voted over but, honestly can roll the dice between fair and overpaid.

I like the player. The 2nd round pick seemed steep considering the way we’ve drafted the last two years (incredibly well).

The draft is such a crap shoot at times that I’m more than ok taking an established player at what I consider the biggest need on defense (IDL).

toffee

Reaction score
Mebane and Bryant, who we have all acknowledged as being two of the key cogs of our LOB success and quasi benchmarks for what the team needs on the DLine COMBINED for 19 sacks in a combined 15 years in Seattle. 1.3 sacks per year between the two of them.

Its about way more than the sacks. Everyone else's sack numbers will go up because of this move.
QB pressure, William is productive in QB pressures.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I was on the fence on this trade, until I thought about Bennett and Avril coming in as free agents/trades in 2013. Those two put the Hawks over the top to get one Owl, and very nearly a second one. Pete is putting his stamp on the team and how he wants the team to play. Hawks have so much young talent, and mix in some veteran savvy and leadership, and it elevates everyone else on the D.

Williams was a Captain for NYG, not an honor the players take lightly. I always felt Cliff Avril had an influence beyond his play, because of his leadership qualities, and I'm feeling optimistic about the influence Williams will have. (Probably Bennett did too, I simply don't know; certainly Bennett led by example with his play) We know that Frank Clark shows up for the PLAYOFFS, if not always the regular season, so the Hawks could have a legit game-wrecker, playoff quality type defense if all this clicks and works. Clint Hurtt shows signs of growing into a legit DC as we watch.

I'm on the fair value side of the fence; really, it depends on having decent luck on the injury front. Williams has had good availability throughout his career.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Similar to the Jamal Adams deal, it probably would’ve been a better idea to renegotiate a contract before the trade. This way they know they are locking the player up and at what price. Just adds more risk to the whole thing. I still think it was an overpay as the second and fifth round pick will end up being a mid second round pick on the draft value chart in most likely will be a very strong draft.

Last edited:

Latest posts