Poll - Pay Russell #1 QB Money, or Nah?

What Russell Wilson option would you choose?

• He deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL. Pay him

Votes: 42 14.7%
  • He deserves to be in the top 5 of QB contracts, but not #1 or #2

Votes: 199 69.6%
  • He is asking for too much, and needs to give a hometown discount

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • The front office should focus on Wagner and Sweezy for now

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Make him play out his rookie contract and move on. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Votes: 20 7.0%

• Total voters

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2hxw2ead said:
Sgt. Largent":2hxw2ead said:
It's interesting that the tide's kinda turned on Russell over the past couple of months.

I think when this whole process started, most people were on Russell's side. Pay the man, he's elite, he's been working for peanuts, time to get paid, etc.

Now? The sentiment seems to be turning towards Russell needs to stop being greedy and accept the Hawks more than fair offer.

I agree with this.

And not to jab anybody in the ribs, but I think PART OF THAT is that because of all of Wilson's outspoken religiosity, charity work, and monotone "go team"-isms, there were perhaps even more people than usual who had convinced themselves that Wilson would be signing some magically team friendly deal rather than wanting to get paid what he thinks he's worth.

Usually the "team friendly" thing is just the wishful thinking of super fans, but with Wilson, I think there's some little mistaken element among some people of thinking he has mischaraterized himself somehow.

(Not that I agree with any of this or even remotely fault him for wanting what he thinks he's worth)
Hit the nail right on the head.

Happy

Reaction score
I can buy the idea that Wilson's fan service/pillow talk might have had some unintended consequences PR-wise now that the time to get paid has arrived.

Pretty silly though. He's held up his end of the bargain. And you know, I think he *is* a nice guy. I personally know precisely two people who make charity work a regular part of their schedule.

Rob12

Reaction score
Even though I'm sour about this whole thing, you have to pay him. I don't want to imagine this team without him. We don't need to be looking for a new franchise QB that could take years and years to find.

Pay him and brace for the future roster consequences. But there's no way you let him walk.

He's earned the big payday.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
True, and if people truly think they'll go back to the Super Bowl w/T-Jack...... nevermind, not even worth talking about :th2thumbs:

Rob12

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":s5lnco1o said:
If RW thinks he's worth more than Aaron Rodgers he can gtfo

But you don't want that, because then we're looking for another QB and the really good ones don't grow on trees.

With cap increases and the entirety of Russ' three year resume, I think he's worth more than Rodgers' current deal. When Rodgers hit the market again, his deal will surpass Russell's deal.

That's just how things are.

StoneCold

Reaction score
I'm going to reiterate it's not about whether he deserves it or has earned it. And I have no problem with him asking for as much as he can get, but he may price himself off the Seahawks. Pete and JS have a system and know what kind of a team they want to put together. They will always lean to a strong defense and to a run heavy offense where the QB's role is to be efficient.

There is only so much money to go around. They will pay Russell as much as they can without sacrificing the other things they value. That's what is in their best interest. It's in Russell's to ask for as much as he can get for him and his future family. I think Russell believes in himself enough to feel that the Hawks are not the only team he can take to the SB. And while I think he's right I don't think he's the only QB that can take the Hawks to the SB.

To the people that say Tavaris had everything that Russell has and could only get 7 wins, that's just not true. All of the players mentioned have another year of experience and other, better players around them. I'm not saying Tavaris is that other QB that could get them to another SB, but I do think he's out there and will likely be found over the next few years that we, if it comes to this, franchise Russell.

SC

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Rob12":3n962278 said:
TheRealDTM":3n962278 said:
If RW thinks he's worth more than Aaron Rodgers he can gtfo

But you don't want that, because then we're looking for another QB and the really good ones don't grow on trees.

With cap increases and the entirety of Russ' three year resume, I think he's worth more than Rodgers' current deal. When Rodgers hit the market again, his deal will surpass Russell's deal.

That's just how things are.

Of course it's not what I want. RW is the only current jersey I have, and I like his game.

That said after all the team first, go hawks rhetoric (which now seems pretty fake) it's kind of hard to take him trying to rake the seahawks over the coals. The team that took a shot on him and got him a superbowl ring (he did nothing in XLVII). That and I still put 80% of the XLIV loss on him and his height.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He's worth #1 money, but can we afford to pay him that? At what cost to the rest of the team would it come?

People mistakenly say a team is "being stingy." The team doesn't get to keep that money, they HAVE to spend most of it, the question is, how do you get the best bang for your buck?

With an elite defense, and a running game.

People complain about the defense giving up points in the Superbowl, but they were decimated with injuries and the team didn't really have the cap space to buy depth.

There were also complaints about the offensive line, problem is, we can't afford really good offensive linemen.

In order to keep Marshawn Lynch, and keep the #1 defense, John Schneider and Pete Carroll must spend the "capped" funds judiciously. For this reason, they have had a 3 plus year business model in place from the beginning.

Now Russell's Agent may have talked him in to wanting to be the #1 overall paid player in the NFL, or it may be on RW's bucket list, but just who is he willing to cut in order to make this happen? Russell Okung? Michael Bennett?

And how are elite players like Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas REALLY going to feel if JS and PC change the rules for Russell? Sure, in public they will say the right things, but imho, if Russell gets his rookie contract torn up, that will create disharmony, distrust, and dissension within the locker room.

Is THAT really worth stroking one's ego for? This is just conjecture, but what if he's wants to feel what it's like to be the highest paid player in the NFL? I would find it hard to believe that Russell is that kind of person, the kind that would put his own gains ahead of that of the teams, his teammates, and the long-suffering fans of Seattle.

Sure, he's definitely earned the right to be in the Top 5 paid QBs, and supposedly, that's what he has been offered.

He has also earned the right to be considered one of the best QBs in the league. Most seem to have him ranked between 5 and 10, I would rank him as #3.

But it takes 53 players and an elite Front Office to keep a team great. And there's no argument that the QB is the most important of those 53, but what must the team sacrifice in order to pay that QB elite money?

And what good is an elite QB on a mediocre team? Just look at Peyton Manning's history, elite QB, mediocre team, won a SINGLE Superbowl. I'm not willing to settle for that.

ctrcat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":15u4nlub said:
It's interesting that the tide's kinda turned on Russell over the past couple of months.

I think when this whole process started, most people were on Russell's side. Pay the man, he's elite, he's been working for peanuts, time to get paid, etc.

Now? The sentiment seems to be turning towards Russell needs to stop being greedy and accept the Hawks more than fair offer.

So what changed? Not sure myself, but it's hard not to think Cam's deal has a lot to do with it. Outside of his teammates or the Auburn or Carolina communities, he's widely considered a towel wearing, money hungry, celebrating, arrogant, greedy, POS, yet "even he" was able to sign a "team friendly" (yet still HIGHLY paid) deal, using Bus Cook no less, saying how important it was to get done for the team, etc. I cheered for RW all the way back to his NCSU days but I think the fact that "he" changed agents and the reality that the agent serves the client are indisputable facts. All could change tomorrow and be forgotten/forgiven but the fact that they seem so far apart would seem the most worrisome. I think RW should at least be given some teeny slack however because, just like his agent, it's unchartered territory for all. JMHO.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I totally bit. Dang it. Trying to avoid Russ talk but then I saw this tweet.

"Been hearing from plenty of folks since posting latest Russell Wilson blurb. Current prediction: He's playing for someone else in 2016".- tweet from profootball talk just a bit ago.

I love how the prediction he is gone next year is based on..."folks"

I am for paying him top 5 money..but really all I care about is winning. If we can get to the big game with or without him it doesn't matter. As long as we get back.

netskier

Reaction score
I just want to watch the team keep winning, which means continue to follow the Win Forever model, which means pay him as much as possible under this model to maximize his happiness under the model.

If this is not enough to keep him, then win with him for three more years while we franchise him.

This gives us three years to find his replacement, and to further develop the team to win with the replacement quarterback.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
netskier":11l47m1h said:
I just want to watch the team keep winning, which means continue to follow the Win Forever model, which means pay him as much as possible under this model to maximize his happiness under the model.

If this is not enough to keep him, then win with him for three more years while we franchise him.

This gives us three years to find his replacement, and to further develop the team to win with the replacement quarterback.

if we non-exclusive franchise him he will be a brown next year and we will have a top 10 pick plus our own late round pick for the next 2 drafts. Really not that bad for the team. Only person it would suck for is RW's legacy

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Increase whatever they offered him last time by one ham sandwich per week. Should get this mess behind us. Assuming they use really good ham.

netskier

Reaction score
I second the legacy remark.

Also, Wilson's long term ambition will be furthered by his legacy. A great legacy with the seahawks will make Paul Allen happy, and might facilitate his interest in investing in Wilson's team. The super rich have ways of moving money around.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
One of the principle bargaining chips we own right now is the fact that no QB has topped Rodgers' $22 million per year threshold in the last two years. It is a temporary advantage, one we own until the first offer we make in excess of $22 million per year. Then we cede this advantage to WIlson's agent, who if we are not careful, will continue to demand more and more. $22 million then becomes the floor, instead of the current ceiling. This is why we need to have some understanding of all the other parameters of the deal -- i.e. the traditional new money distinction continues to be in place -- before we offer such a deal.

BadgerVid

Reaction score
I wonder if any of these alleged offers we keep hearing about include a raise in '15 or if they all are based on playing this year at $1.5M.

Personally I have reached the point where I don't much care. I was a 'Hawks fan before RW came to them and I was a Wilson fan before he was drafted by Seattle. I have no problem with continuing to cheer for the 'Hawks when they are back in the middle of the pack AND cheering for Russ wherever he gets paid. It would be nice if he stayed, but either way I will enjoy both him and the team.

edromeo

Reaction score
Wilson has been a highly productive Super Bowl winning QB.
The market for QB like Wilson is what it is.
You either make him the #1 QB now or gamble on how he plays next year.
Next year he might win the SB and then you'll have to pay him more then whatever Luck gets.

Pay now or pay later?

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
edromeo":1flj92e8 said:
Wilson has been a highly productive Super Bowl winning QB.
The market for QB like Wilson is what it is.
You either make him the #1 QB now or gamble on how he plays next year.
Next year he might win the SB and then you'll have to pay him more then whatever Luck gets.

Pay now or pay later?

lol if he wins another superbowl he can have all the money in the world. If he would have won the last one we aren't having this discussion.