Poll: Time to Lay Your Cards on the Table

What is the more pressing issue: Coaching, or talent?

• Coaching.

• Talent.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No, you're projecting.

Just getting a guage on where everyone is at.

The poll shows the vast majority agree with me.

You have a personal agenda with me. Which is fine. Goofy, but fine. Try to stay on topic in the threads though, rather than making everything so personal in the future in the hopes of derailment.

The coaching is the clear issue with the team from my standpoint. But I welcome all compelling arguments that can be made in however they see it.

Coaching is their main issue at present, detailed in an earlier post.
The title has a bit of a connotation to my eyes, but I'll concede the point and give you the benefit of the doubt. You're right.

I chose coaching as well, with the caveat that I think offensive coaching is the primary issue with the team right now and that, theoretically, they have the talent to go far outside of IOL. I think offensive coaching is squandering the potential of the team and selling the defense out, and I hope Pete steps in more than he has been.

And no, I don't think these are the same issues as always, and I don't think they're a reflection of the HC's philosophy. These are bizarro world issues that are antithetical to the Peteball people used to complain about.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Oh please... Seattle has led the league in penalties a grand total of three times since Pete's been here... Two of those times Seattle played in the super bowl. 2017, 2014, 2013.

They've only been bottom five in four of the years, adding 2011 to the years above.

If you're going to try to make a point at least have a valid one.

League leaders in penalties

2012 - tied for 3rd
2013 - 1st
2014 - 1st
2015 - 7th
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 1st
2018 - 9th
2019 - 4th
2020 - 17th
2021 - 17th
2022 - 9th
2023 - 1st so far

Here's a valid point, Seattle under Pete Carroll is a very undisciplined team. Barring the 20-21 seasons, they are constantly in the top 10 penalized teams leading the league 3 times and on their way again this season. Wins become much easier when cleaning that up.

getnasty

Reaction score
No, you're projecting.

Just getting a guage on where everyone is at.

The poll shows the vast majority agree with me.

You have a personal agenda with me. Which is fine. Goofy, but fine. Try to stay on topic in the threads though, rather than making everything so personal in the future in the hopes of derailment.

The coaching is the clear issue with the team from my standpoint. But I welcome all compelling arguments that can be made in however they see it.

Coaching is their main issue at present, detailed in an earlier post.

Everybody blames coaches, doesn't matter if it's 3rd grade tee ball or the NFL everyone blames coaches. I'm not saying this staff is perfect, far from it but we're also not the 92 Cowboys.

cymatica

Reaction score
The only difference is we have a chance. Pull a Giants.
No chance of that happening with the Waldron and Geno combo. Those Giants teams had elite dlines and coaches that knew how to play situational football. Eli was also a better QB than Geno with a better online.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
"Lay your cards on the table!"

Proceeds to make a poll that asks us to choose between two intangible options that can be retroactively argued either way when we come back to this.

This is the game, folks.
I’m sorry but this is hilarious. I’ve replied many times in this thread, but couldn’t vote because…you said it perfectly.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No chance of that happening with the Waldron and Geno combo. Those Giants teams had elite dlines and coaches that knew how to play situational football. Eli was also a better QB than Geno with a better online.

Yep

Ozzy

Reaction score
League leaders in penalties

2012 - tied for 3rd
2013 - 1st
2014 - 1st
2015 - 7th
2016 - 3rd
2017 - 1st
2018 - 9th
2019 - 4th
2020 - 17th
2021 - 17th
2022 - 9th
2023 - 1st so far

Here's a valid point, Seattle under Pete Carroll is a very undisciplined team. Barring the 20-21 seasons, they are constantly in the top 10 penalized teams leading the league 3 times and on their way again this season. Wins become much easier when cleaning that up.
There are 32 teams and yet Seattle has been first multiple times and upper third almost every year, this is a Pete Carroll problem and I don’t know how someone can argue it’s not. The statistical probability alone dictates it’s a coaching issue. Now you can argue that Pete’s approach brings enough good that the trade off is worth it. I’m not making that argument but it’s a valid one.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
They can't win even if they do. That's the point.
I feel like you have a very negative outlook on life. That happens and there’s nothing wrong with that. I try to stay positive. It has worked better for my life. To each their own.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
There are 32 teams and yet Seattle has been first multiple times and upper third almost every year, this is a Pete Carroll problem and I don’t know how someone can argue it’s not. The statistical probability alone dictates it’s a coaching issue. Now you can argue that Pete’s approach brings enough good that the trade off is worth it. I’m not making that argument but it’s a valid one.

Yes, you are correct. It's just all the stalled drives during the years and the extended drives for the opposing teams. It truly is a problem area.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I feel like you have a very negative outlook on life. That happens and there’s nothing wrong with that. I try to stay positive. It has worked better for my life. To each their own.

When you get slapped in the head 8 times with another one coming, its hard to expect anything else but another slap in the future.

I get what your saying though and although we debate about football on this forum i'm glad your a positive person (world needs more of it). It's ok we agree to disagree on mere entertainment.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
When you get slapped in the head 8 times with another one coming, its hard to expect anything else but another slap in the future.

I get what your saying though and although we debate about football on this forum i'm glad your a positive person (world needs more of it). It's ok we agree to disagree on mere entertainment.
Absolutely, pitt. Cheers! I’m glad it didn’t get nasty. And I respect your opinion and understand it.

Ozzy

Reaction score
can you guys quit being so damn cheerful and civil? Kidding but honestly well done. I would bet money that a lot of people who don’t get along in here would get along great in person.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh will likely be available for 2024. MUCH better than PC. The guy has his finger on the pulse of the College players like PC did when he first came here... and he is a strict disciplinarian, which this team has badly needed for years. We we lead the league in critical penalties? It sure seems like it. Offsides, false starts and having 54 covering receivers instead of letting him play on 2 downs and then line him up as a DE or on the bench... B Wags wheels are gone, he can play decently at MLB, but hurts the passing game. Too many favorites by the staff...very simple..

Xxx

Reaction score
Give PC & JS an extension. Last year was a massive success. This year is on pace to be a success. If you thought this team was Super Bowl ready, I’m not sure what to tell you and nobody could convince you. I see growth, learning experiences and leadership from our players and coaches. Flame away.
Last year was a massive over achievement. This year ain’t over, we could end up with 6 wins…

Xxx

Reaction score
I don’t think that the result of this year will make or break Pete. If they do decent and make the playoffs it will be status quo, if they don’t the consequences won’t be bad cause geno is the quarterback. Also I don’t know how much ownership would ever turn on Pete. But much like when Russell left I think I would be ok moving on from Pete, it would be sad but it would be so fun to see a dynamic edgy team that didn’t nearly lead the league in penalties every year and that I couldn’t call the plays on ahead of time…

hedgehawk

Reaction score
can you guys quit being so damn cheerful and civil? Kidding but honestly well done. I would bet money that a lot of people who don’t get along in here would get along great in person.
I think we all would develop friendships you didn’t see coming.

LTH

Reaction score
Okay, my arm has been twisted. Here is what I think.

They will probably win 1 out of the next 4, only because it's the NFL. I can't actually point to anything tangible.

So that get's them to 7-7.

The final 3, Seattle will feast (As in barely win at least 2 of them.) of these bad teams.

9-8 min. 10-7 possible.

However, I don't think this is healthy. A losing season is necessary, for the powers that be to get there crap together, and chop heads. Going to the playoffs will just encourage them into thinking their flawed process is fine. And they will keep on keepin' on. Enough. It is clear as day that there are only 2 acceptable paths with the coaching staff. Which I've been preaching for about 4 years now.

Path A: Pete is a figurehead. Get high quality (guys with pelts on the wall.) OC & DC. Gives them their orders, and leave them to their tasks. This Pete being so involved in the schemes, is both screwing up the offense and defense.

Path B: Pete Retires / Moves to an executive role / Whatever / + New Offensive Head Coach, draft him his QB, and remake the Seahawks anew. With JS fully in charge of personnel with the coach under him in the power structure.

The Inexplicable and Likely Path: The Seahawks keep doing what their doing as is. Scapegoat a stooge coordinator maybe, and play pretend like it will fix it, which is insulting to our intelligence--and will not be tolerated by me, and many of my fellow Seahawks fans, as more and more of them wake up to the grift.

View attachment 61978

If Paul Allen hadn't died this would've been sorted years ago btw. Thx, Judy!
SATAN has spoken!!! This used to be a really cool board... but you have turned this board to crap... anybody who has a remotely positive out look isn't posting any more. There is no decent conversation it's just crap and I'm out of here for a while as it's unreadable.....

LTH

Last edited: