Poll: Who's Your All-Time Favorite Seahawks Head Coach?

Who's Your All-Time Favorite Seahawks Head Coach?

• Jack Patera

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mike McCormack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Knox

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Tom Flores

• Dennis Erickson

• Mike Holmgren

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Jim Mora Jr.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Pete Carroll

Votes: 57 54.8%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Should be an interesting discussion and poll...

kidhawk

Reaction score
It's a close call, but as Pete isn't finished with his time here, I kind of eliminated him from contention (for me personally) and got it down to Knox/Holmgren. Went with Knox, but I could flip it and probably not skip a beat.

On the flip side. Least favorite coach is between 3 (Mora/Erickson/Flores)...Mora and Erickson were horrible, but for me, least favorite (maybe not worst, just least favorite) would go to Flores. I don't think there was one second of my life that I was ever happy to have him coaching our team.

Rat

Reaction score
Just realized there have only been four head coaches since I first became a fan in the mid-90s, and two of those (Erickson, Mora) didn't even have time to unpack their stuff. I probably take for granted the coaching stability here. Most people I know are Lions fans, and they've had like a million different head coaches in that same time span.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I trusted Mike Holmgren to make the right play calls. I am not sure I can say the same for the rest.

Even though Mike had already won a Super Bowl, no coach came in with more hype than Erickson.

Its hard to not love Knox, but in results comparison, he didn't produce.

Love him or hate him, Pete came through with the Super Bowl win.

Winner...Mora Jr. If nothing else, it was entertaining. A total train wreck from day 1.

1 word from his dad gets more attention than his entire coaching career...PLAYOFFS

sutz

Reaction score
Sorry, but it has to be Pete for the sustained success.

Second is probably Patera just for the creativity. Has any head coach had so many different fake field goals, ever? :)

Aircrew

Reaction score
Fantastic poll!

Ground Chuck. When I started watching the Hawks in 1986, he was the coach and everything about that era will always be close to my heart. Chuck Knox also put our Seahawks on the map in so many ways and I don't think he gets enough credit for it. First playoff berth, first playoff win, first Conference Championship Game, first Division Championship. He and Mike McCormick also oversaw the uniforms being updated into what I feel are the best looking uniforms in team history: Numbers moved up to the top of the shoulder pads and the awesome Seahawk wrapped around the sleeve. Chuck Knox was not only a great coach, he was a good man. Dave Wyman tells a cool story about the game in Kansas City in 1990 when Dave Kreig was sacked 7 times but the Hawks won it on the last second TD to Paul Skansi. The team was at a bar in the airport having a couple cocktails before boarding the flight when Coach walked in. Everyone kind of tensed up not knowing how Coach Knox would react to everyone drinking. Long story short, Chuck threw down a few hundreds on the bar, picked up the tab and the team partied. Naturally, Pete is a CLOSE second here for obvious reasons, but Chuck Knox really was responsible for pointing the Seahawks organization in the right direction that has helped bring the team to where we are today. One of the most well deserved Ring of Honor recipients and I really hope he makes it into Canton some day.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Too bad, we can't pick multiple because I have more than one - 1a) Chuck Knox, 1b) Mike Holmgren, 1c) Pete Carroll.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Logical pick: Pete

Sentimental pick: Knox, he was the 1st coach to give us legitimacy as a real NFL playoff football team.

Before Chuck the Hawks were just a parody of a football team that was only known for a left handed QB running for his life, an undersized WR that somehow was open all the time and a cross eyed FG kicker that could run a trick play.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Mora Jr.
Dude could coach!
Hey Spohawks:

In case you were looking I have this bridge I could let you have quite inexpensively.

As a person of singular prescience I thought you might be interested.

In response to your post I'd say perhaps you might want to seek out a new optometrist, b/c you didn't even vote for your guy. Either that, or you have a weird sense of humour.

Naturally this all in fun.

Respected the heck out of Holmgren but he was subject to significant biases and blindspots, loved Chuck Knox who was very one dimensional, but Pete's the guy and it isn't that close.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
PC has the better winning percentage and most playoff appearances. Not to mention, going to two Superbowls.

***We should have won that SB against the Pats.

BASF

Reaction score
While I never hated Holmgren for the coaching tree he came from, I can say that I despised the west coast offense with a passion, so Holmgren could never be my favorite (this stems from growing up around 49er fans and how horrible people a lot of them are). Naturally, it comes down to two guys who love the ground and pound style, which of course is why I fell in love with the Seahawks in the first place. Ground Chuck was awesome. However, as much as the benighted posters here talk about Carroll not changing his style, he has changed a lot over the years, which is something you could never really say for Knox.

BASF

Reaction score
Just realized there have only been four head coaches since I first became a fan in the mid-90s, and two of those (Erickson, Mora) didn't even have time to unpack their stuff. I probably take for granted the coaching stability here. Most people I know are Lions fans, and they've had like a million different head coaches in that same time span.
I am not quite sure why you would think that Erickson didn't have time here. He had four long exasperating years where he was outcoached on almost a weekly basis. His teams had quite a bit of talent, but he found ways to lose constantly.