Poll: Who's Your All-Time Favorite Seahawks Head Coach?

Who's Your All-Time Favorite Seahawks Head Coach?

• Jack Patera

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Mike McCormack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chuck Knox

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Tom Flores

• Dennis Erickson

• Mike Holmgren

Votes: 23 22.1%
  • Jim Mora Jr.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Pete Carroll

Votes: 57 54.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
As Rat stated, this isn't a poll about the most successful Seahawks coach, this is a poll about your personal favorite coach. For me it is Knox for the nostalgia, being such a respected man and all the reasons Aircrew mentioned. Then it's Pete and Holmgren respectivelly.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
I'm rather fond of the Holmgren era because I affiliate those early 2000 Seahawk teams with them getting a new stadium (and them playing at Husky Stadium temporarily) which was also a trip. So, I'm a little biased.

2003-2007 was a fun time for those teams too, and It was good to see the Hawks take advantage of a pretty weak division at the time. And Hasselbeck has always been one of my favorite players.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Isn’t there often a preference for the guy who was in charge when we all became fans of the team?

I loved Chuck Knox but I got on board later in his tenure so missed a lot of his good years.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Chuck Knox: "we're trying to make the playoffs."

"We may make the playoffs."

"We're trying to make the playoffs."

Shite.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Tom Flores wearing the Seahawk-blue sweater and patrolling the sidelines of the football field at the Kingdome ranks near the top of my list as one of the most revolting things I've ever seen happen to the Seahawks, topped only by the antics of Ken Behring and getting jobbed by the refs in Super Bowl XL.

BASF

Reaction score
Tom Flores wearing the Seahawk-blue sweater and patrolling the sidelines of the football field at the Kingdome ranks near the top of my list as one of the most revolting things I've ever seen happen to the Seahawks, topped only by the antics of Ken Behring and getting jobbed by the refs in Super Bowl XL.
I will always believe that he was still working for Al Davis.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Ground Chuck then Holmgren....Knox just seemed to have a tough grit with his team and with his own personality, Carroll is great and all and I'm forever grateful, but he's too pom pom like a cheerleader for me lol. Holmgren I met in person once, one of the ladies in front of me trying to get his autograph said that he reminded her of of large overgrown angry teddy bear...he laughed and then gave her an angry look but in a fun sort of way. He was really cool with the fans.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Some of those Chuck Knox teams especially with Largent and Warner offensively and a filthy defense, were when I really started getting up for the Hawks. Patera was meh. Chuck Knox brought and preached toughness. Easley and Brown in the secondary. Jacob Green, Bryant and Nash. Man they had a squad in early to mid 80’s. AFCCG in 83’

nwHawk

Reaction score
I had to go with Pete, but I’d pick Knox #2 and then Holmgren.

No coach is perfect, and all had something about them that drove us nuts as fans. That said Pete came in and created a culture of dominance that took the league by storm and built a championship club with Hall of Fame type players. With players, that didn’t fit the mold of Hall of Fame profiles at the time he joined the Hawks. Let that sink in. And his GM, and a first time GM.

Got to be Pete.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm rather fond of the Holmgren era because I affiliate those early 2000 Seahawk teams with them getting a new stadium (and them playing at Husky Stadium temporarily) which was also a trip. So, I'm a little biased.

2003-2007 was a fun time for those teams too, and It was good to see the Hawks take advantage of a pretty weak division at the time. And Hasselbeck has always been one of my favorite players.

Your avatar is PRECISELY the retros I would love to see the Seahawks rock in 2023 when they can go back to the silver helmets. Damn that mesh with the giant numbers looks bad ass.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Ground Chuck then Holmgren....Knox just seemed to have a tough grit with his team and with his own personality, Carroll is great and all and I'm forever grateful, but he's too pom pom like a cheerleader for me lol. Holmgren I met in person once, one of the ladies in front of me trying to get his autograph said that he reminded her of of large overgrown angry teddy bear...he laughed and then gave her an angry look but in a fun sort of way. He was really cool with the fans.

I totally get that. One year in the early 00's I attended training camp in Cheney with my then wife. After practice we got in line to have Holmgren sign whatever we had. Unfortunately I can't remember the precise context but when I was getting close to it being my turn I think I said something silly to my wife that Coach heard and he totally called me out on it. Not anything terrible but for a split moment I totally got why every player respected him. I felt like he was the principal and I was the student being called into his office, lol. He sure had a presence, not just physically.

I always loved Holmgren (outside of his penchant to run it up the middle a trillion times). A teacher by default. Always demanded respect and while Mount Holmgren could explode often on the sidelines, he could also show a soft side to the media and fans.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Even if you want Carroll out of Seattle right now (or last season, two seasons ago, three seasons ago, four seasons ago or yesterday) I don't see how your favorite is NOT Carroll.

Carroll has cemented his identity with this franchise as the first Super Bowl Champion coach.

Nothing, aside from a new coach coming in and winning a ring or multiple rings with Seattle can defeat Carroll's resume with Seattle.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I never worried about Holmgren being outcoached. I've witnessed it to many times with Carroll.

schkoot

Reaction score
Fantastic poll!

Ground Chuck. When I started watching the Hawks in 1986, he was the coach and everything about that era will always be close to my heart. Chuck Knox also put our Seahawks on the map in so many ways and I don't think he gets enough credit for it. First playoff berth, first playoff win, first Conference Championship Game, first Division Championship. He and Mike McCormick also oversaw the uniforms being updated into what I feel are the best looking uniforms in team history: Numbers moved up to the top of the shoulder pads and the awesome Seahawk wrapped around the sleeve. Chuck Knox was not only a great coach, he was a good man. Dave Wyman tells a cool story about the game in Kansas City in 1990 when Dave Kreig was sacked 7 times but the Hawks won it on the last second TD to Paul Skansi. The team was at a bar in the airport having a couple cocktails before boarding the flight when Coach walked in. Everyone kind of tensed up not knowing how Coach Knox would react to everyone drinking. Long story short, Chuck threw down a few hundreds on the bar, picked up the tab and the team partied. Naturally, Pete is a CLOSE second here for obvious reasons, but Chuck Knox really was responsible for pointing the Seahawks organization in the right direction that has helped bring the team to where we are today. One of the most well deserved Ring of Honor recipients and I really hope he makes it into Canton some day.
Agree! Holmgren and Carroll are tied in second for me.

The Knox-Hawks are *The SEAHAWKS* to me, and everything that comes after are the new version of the original Hawks.

BASF

Reaction score
Poor Flores, McCormack, Erikson haven't gotten any vote at all.
I am actually surprised about Erickson. When I joined this site all those years ago there was a poster who always chimed in very positively whenever Erickson was brought up, not quite to John63 for Wilson, but I remember it pretty well since I thought it was bizarre.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Back to back Super Bowl appearances and a Lombardi in the trophy case says Pete. But was that because of Pete or a massively talented team or both.

My favorite coach personality wise is Holmgren and still love his insights on the radio. Got us to the SuperFix40*.

Chuck Knox got the Hawks into the playoffs for the first time, so there will always be the love for him.

Jack Patera was the right first coach for an expansion team. Innovative trick plays that made the team exciting to watch for this kid.