Poll: Who's Your Most Pleasant Surprise Player?

If you could pick one player on the team not named Geno, who would be your most pleasant surprise?

• Ryan Neal

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • Uchenna Nwosu

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • Ken Walker III

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Tariq Woolen

Votes: 67 59.8%
  • Coby Bryant

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Al Woods

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Boye Mafe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If you could pick one player on the team this season not named Geno Smith, who would be your most pleasant surprise?

Reactions: FPD

hawkfan68

Reaction score
The choices are all good and each are a surprise in their own right...I chose Nwosu because I didn't know who he was until now. Definitely a great addition.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Eugene Cyril Smith - sorry to bend your rule but he is who is executing on the field and helping everyone function on offense as any great QB should do. The surprise at how well he is performing is so great, I cannot think of anyone else.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd nominate the entire team other than Taylor, Barton and Dickson. Abe Lucas should definitely be a poll choice.

Even LJ Collier was out there yesterday contributing.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I went with Ryan Neal because he's a Saluki alum just like me. lol

Seriously, he's been a VERY pleasant surprise filling in for Jamal. The drop-off in performance is hardly noticeable. Jamal may be the better blitzer but Ryan has better hands... and it's a wash for who is the better tackler. Ryan just happens to be in the right position play after play.

GemCity

Reaction score
Tariq da Freak!! Late round pick…playing his ass off.

Nunya

Reaction score
I would have to say Geno!

But for a shout-out, I would also say Bruce Irwin. I know it has only been 2 games and the 1st game he had limited playing time, but he did do a decent job. Yesterday, however, he looked like a 1st round draft pick. The guy was balling all day. I think his experience will pay out huge dividends.

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I had to really think on this one...but I gave it to Neal. I know he played well last season, but the man has been a major force the past few games. They all have strong reasons to be selected. It's like picking a favorite ice cream or hottest super model.

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
I had to really think on this one...but I gave it to Neal. I know he played well last season, but the man has been a major force the past few games. They all have strong reasons to be selected. It's like picking a favorite ice cream or hottest super model.
As you did, I picked Neal cuz he's playing exceptionally well. We all knew about what we had in him, but I'm starting to think his ceiling is higher than I had anticipated. Nice surprise for sure. But there's a lot to like all around right now.

Mick063

Reaction score
Really tough vote. Can't go wrong with any of them.

How you framed the question is how I vote. The keyword being surprised.

Geno surprised me a bunch, a whole bunch, but Woolen surprised me just as much. I'm just floored at how poised he is for a rookie. Geno has had ten years to refine his craft. Woolen switched positions a couple years ago. His technique is rather polished relative to his experience.

Another thing about Woolen. Discipline. Remember any flags thrown his way? Me neither. I'm used to a defense that can't get off the field because the defensive backs have to grab receivers to prevent chunk plays. Just the fact that Woolen doesn't draw penalties, turns his head and plays the ball, makes him the best corner since the LOB days. The defense can get off the field because they don't give away free first downs on third and long. Rookies grab, veterans don't (or they disguise it really well). Woolen doesn't play like a rookie. That surprises me.

Last edited:

TraderGary

Reaction score
When I first looked at your poll I thought to myself, "how is Geno not on there"?

Anyway, it was a tough choice for me between Nwosu and Woolen. I went with Woolen because the reason he lasted till the 5th round was because he was supposed to be a long-term project, and some questioned if he would even make it at all despite his obvious off the charts athletic skills.

Well he didn't just make it, he's turned into a shut-down corner in just a matter of weeks. It's an incredible story and accomplishment. Steal of the entire draft in my mind. Shut-down corners are extremely hard to find, even in the first round, and we got him in the 5th! That's sick.

On a side note, I agree with AgentDib that Abe Lucus should be on that list as well.

hoxrox

Reaction score
If not Geno, then Tariq. He almost had another pick yesterday that was ripped away by the receiver.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd call it a surprise, because I've been excited for the guy since we drafted him, but K9 (Walker) is seriously ballin' right now. Early on when he was only getting relief carries for Penny, he didn't look nearly as good as he does right now. I think he's definitely the type of back who needs to be out there pounding the rock all game to keep a rhythm. With all that said, he's definitely performing as well as I could have ever hoped for, and I had very high hopes for him.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I'd nominate the entire team other than Taylor, Barton and Dickson. Abe Lucas should definitely be a poll choice.

Even LJ Collier was out there yesterday contributing.
The O line has been great this year. My vote is for Blythe.

He may not be the best blocker at the position, but to me it seems he's calling out the reads well and providing the veteran presence on the line.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
For me, it's Coby. The rest of the options there either had a lot of attention going into the season. Coby kinda came into his own and had continued to improve game over game nicely.

Runner up would be Woolen.