Poll: Who's Your Most Pleasant Surprise Player?

If you could pick one player on the team not named Geno, who would be your most pleasant surprise?

• Ryan Neal

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • Uchenna Nwosu

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • Ken Walker III

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Tariq Woolen

Votes: 67 59.8%
  • Coby Bryant

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Al Woods

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Boye Mafe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (read my comments)

Votes: 9 8.0%

• Total voters

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Tariq Woolen. Off the charts measurables and combine numbers. Glad he has got off to such a great start

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I voted Woolen. I was intrigued by his measurable but optimistically thought it would take until mid way though the season as best before he would start and there would be a lot more growing pains. I was trying to keep my expectations in check sine all the attempts to find another Sherm (Tre Flowers etc) hadn't gone well.

toffee

Reaction score
For ONE game, the Giants' game, the most pleasant surprise player was none other than LJ Collier, dude raised himself from dead, made a QB hit and even defended a pass. I am cheering for him to keep up that level of contribution.

nwHawk

Reaction score
The O line has been great this year. My vote is for Blythe.

He may not be the best blocker at the position, but to me it seems he's calling out the reads well and providing the veteran presence on the line.
I agree. This is who I was thinking right off the bat. Blythe has made a big impact on the line, and effectively allowing Geno to trust the process, protection and allowing him to step up in the pocket.

After Blythe went out, Fuller just didn’t seem to get everyone on the same page. Blythe comes back in after a bit and Walker rips off a good run.

That said, Tariq Woolen has to be 1A. Premium defender at a premium position, and playing like a vet. Stud!

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
For me it's Pete Carroll. The guy has taken a beating from the national media for two years just to find out that he is NOT too old to coach, the game has NOT passed him buy, and he and JS were right in their assessment of what was going on with this team. 5-3 and looking strong if this continues, like i'm sure it will, he should get coach of the year!

IMO the only thing the league should be saying is,

"Oh sh!t! Coach Carroll has a chip on his shoulder!!

seabowl

Reaction score
Myers as he was not hood last year but awesome this year

BASF

Reaction score
Voted Woolen. When asked in an earlier season presser about why Woolen had lasted to the fifth round, Pete quipped, "Did you see his tape?" It was funny but also accurate. He was seriously raw coming into training camp. He has done an incredible job taking to the coaching and applying it on the field. Like Quinton Jefferson said, "He's a walking gold jacket."

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Tariq.

Drafting the fastest, longest corner prospect in the league in the fifth round and having him immediately play like the DROY is... not supposed to be doable.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
I'd nominate the entire team other than Taylor, Barton and Dickson. Abe Lucas should definitely be a poll choice.

Even LJ Collier was out there yesterday contributing.
How’d he do? I was at the game but forgot to record it so I couldn’t go back and hear all the commentary. I only recall seeing him on the pass block.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
For me, it's Coby. The rest of the options there either had a lot of attention going into the season. Coby kinda came into his own and had continued to improve game over game nicely.

Runner up would be Woolen.
Especially after kind of a nightmare-ish first game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
How’d he do? I was at the game but forgot to record it so I couldn’t go back and hear all the commentary. I only recall seeing him on the pass block.
18 solid snaps. He knocked down that pass, had a decent pressure, and held up pretty well in the running game.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Lots of superb surprises with this group. I chose Woolen as he has surprised me the most aside from a Mr. Smith who is exempt from the vote.
Go Hawks

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I would have to say Geno!

But for a shout-out, I would also say Bruce Irwin. I know it has only been 2 games and the 1st game he had limited playing time, but he did do a decent job. Yesterday, however, he looked like a 1st round draft pick. The guy was balling all day. I think his experience will pay out huge dividends.
This.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
If you could pick one player on the team this season not named Geno Smith, who would be your most pleasant surprise?
I'd have to go with Geno and Bruce. Geno if I had to pick one, and not just my 'geno for prez' crap.

Many of those other players - we had NO idea what/if anything they could do - there were no expectations. We 'thought' we knew in Geno and Bruce. They pleasantly surprised against expectations.

Bruce was just NUTS in the Giants game. I posted in another thread - there's a whole quarter where he was a shoestring away from a sack - EVERY play it seemed.

The others, I'm just pleased. But proving me wrong, twice? THAT's pleasantly surprised. I know exactly what I said pre and start of season "Run with Lock.". Totally wrong!

IMO.

And, oh yea, if you haven't heard lately: pssssst: Geno for prez!

KinesProf

Reaction score
I went with Woolen. The measurables were through the roof; but I was expecting, at best, a really good gunner as a rookie who in time could eventually develop into a starter by year 2 or 3. Was not expecting a Pro Bowl, potential All-Pro CB; who, looking at this past draft, I'm not sure there is anyone I would trade him for straight up.

Woolen is why you don't stop throwing darts during the draft even if you end up with Tharold Simon a few times in a row. Accumulate picks and play those lotto tickets.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
For me, it's Coby Bryant. In preseason he looked absolutely lost out there. Honestly, he was one of the reasons I didn't have a lot of hope for this year. But he's been an incredibly serviceable CB.