Positivity Returns To Seattle

Wartooth

Reaction score
I personally don't think Sherm will be able to play until well into the season, even if then.
He will never be the same player he was for us with the Niner's.
Bennett will be just a guy for the Eagles, he's lost his focus, wouldn't be surprised if he retires after next season.
I love that they got Penny, he will be the spark for our new offense.
I'm not as worried about the offensive line as I would have been had they kept Cable...
I never like Bevell, so predicable.
Won't miss Jimmy, didn't like it when it happened. Drops and disinterest in blocking, just a mistake.
I have no idea how it will shake out!
Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst...
I just feel that as long as Russ can adapt to the new offense, we will always have a good chance to win a lot of games.
Go Hawks!
Like Always... I'm In!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
original poster":2ffz6b9i said:
The problem is the VAST majority can't possibly invest enough time to have a proper and thorough understanding of what is going on, so what do they do? They love this team and want to understand it but don't have the time to invest fully.

So they listen to the media, they listen to these guys that are saying we're 'done' and 'our window has closed' and we 'lost all our good players' etc.

They buy into all of that, feeling down is to be expected. The Rams own the division, the 49ers are the next team on the rise, apparently.

People can rarely form their own opinions these days.

I still feel that fandom causes the rose colored glasses syndrome in which fans have a hard time seeing their team or club doing or being anything but great. Some of us saw what was going on in 2015 and when we said anything or called the team on it, nobody wanted to hear it. Nobody wanted to hear that the window closed, or that the locker room was a mess and divided, or that players werent buying into Pete's 'rah rah, pom pom' ways anymore. It was the truth though. It was sobering around here after last season when people finally got it. It was 2 years to late, but they finally got it.

I'm more interested in next season instead of excited. I want to see if Solari can make anything out of that Oline that we didnt address or do they really stink talent wise. I dont know yet. Anxious to see if Shottenheimer will deliver a decent product with the offense or was Carroll truly handicapping Bevell to the point that it was ineffective. I want to gauge some of the new players to see who might stick and who's not. With that saying though, i'm not expecting much out of this club next season. Its a process thats going to take a couple of years. We traded in Corvettes and got Cavaliers in return and some people still feel we're going to challenge for the division or be so good that the NFL's going to stand up and take notice when thats just simply not true. I'm going to root for the team, but i'm going to be realistic. The schedule is brutal and we're heading into the heavyweight match a few pounds lighter than the competition.

chris98251

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":bjpz8rka said:
original poster":bjpz8rka said:
The problem is the VAST majority can't possibly invest enough time to have a proper and thorough understanding of what is going on, so what do they do? They love this team and want to understand it but don't have the time to invest fully.

So they listen to the media, they listen to these guys that are saying we're 'done' and 'our window has closed' and we 'lost all our good players' etc.

They buy into all of that, feeling down is to be expected. The Rams own the division, the 49ers are the next team on the rise, apparently.

I still feel that fandom causes the rose colored glasses syndrome in which fans have a hard time seeing their team or club doing or being anything but great. Some of us saw what was going on in 2015 and when we said anything or called the team on it, nobody wanted to hear it. Nobody wanted to hear that the window closed, or that the locker room was a mess and divided, or that players werent buying into Pete's 'rah rah, pom pom' ways anymore. It was the truth though. It was sobering around here after last season when people finally got it. It was 2 years to late, but they finally got it.

I'm more interested in next season instead of excited. I want to see if Solari can make anything out of that Oline that we didnt address or do they really stink talent wise. I dont know yet. Anxious to see if Shottenheimer will deliver a decent product with the offense or was Carroll truly handicapping Bevell to the point that it was ineffective. I want to gauge some of the new players to see who might stick and who's not. With that saying though, i'm not expecting much out of this club next season. Its a process thats going to take a couple of years. We traded in Corvettes and got Cavaliers in return and some people still feel we're going to challenge for the division or be so good that the NFL's going to stand up and take notice when thats just simply not true. I'm going to root for the team, but i'm going to be realistic. The schedule is brutal and we're heading into the heavyweight match a few pounds lighter than the competition.

Yeah we may do some rope a dope early till the competition wears down some. :p

Hyak

Reaction score
The Griffin story is feel good for sure and he should contribute on ST from day 1 and could be a role player on the defense down the line or if Wagner or Wright go down.

I really like what they've done this offseason. Get back to Pete's core philosophies and fill the locker room with we guys instead of me guys.

Thank god in hindsight for the Rams debacle as I think it forced the organization to really question the win now at all costs with this core. It wasn't going to happen.

I'm excited to see how the new guys do.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
We'll see how it plays out, but I feel better today about this team than I did a week ago. I think it was a solid draft and I like the Penny pick more and more. Clearly, he would not have been available with our next pick. Nor would any of the other "top" 4-5 RBs. I think Jones is going to be a very pleasant surprise.
I am hoping that the loss of Cabevell is a HUGE positive and I think it will be. Someone else noted in another thread that Cable is already impacting the way the Raiders are drafting linemen. Not in a good way either. Will the 'Hawks contend for a playoff spot this year? Who knows? INJURIES, more than anything, will play a factor, including injuries to opponents.

hangumhi

Reaction score
Best off season this fan could have hoped for. Love the coaching changes with the exception of cable. I actually liked cable but oh well. I was a huge bevell hater and a Bennet hater. Bennet and Sherman are cancers. Chancellor has become a cancer and Earl better show up and help the young kids get better or he's a cancer too. I was so tired of the attitude problems on the sidelines. Good riddance and good job Pete. I hope Bennett has plenty of reading time in Philly.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
The re-signing of Maxwell is huge. I read somewhere he was graded better than Sherm last year, but can't find it now, of course. People are going to see how wrong they are about penny, dude will be good. This draft has that Seahawky feel to me. Alot like the early pcjs drafts, where they found a ton of hidden gems. I have no real evidence to back it up, just a gut feeling. Loved the draft, and love the positivity here! Also, Poona Ford and Marcel Frazier could be legit udfa's that make this team.

original poster

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":2sixdu4s said:
original poster":2sixdu4s said:

It seems to be that the 'negative' side love to say they're in the minority and that 'nobody wanted to hear it' or 'some of us saw what was going on in 2015' (implying 'some' is 'few' or 'not most'). In reality, a very large chunk have been on the 'negative' side for quite some time now, years.

I'm most certainly on the 'positive' side, but I don't think this team is going to the Super Bowl.

They key thing is this -

After this offseason, with all the personnel changes, this team is finally on an upward trajectory, until January of this year, the team was on a downward one.

That for me, is all the reason in the world to feel optimistic.

chris98251

Reaction score
I could be looked upon as being positively negative concerning Bevell and Cable and where we were going if that didn't change :)

peppersjap

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with this thread. I had only missed 2 home games since 2006 ( 1 because of snow and 1 because I didn't want to lose my holiday pay at work ) but last year I skipped 4 games and that was after going to the game in Nashville. I never quit being a fan but it just became a weird year and I was no longer excited to get up at 6 am to trek to Seattle. I'll miss Sherman but I will not miss Bennett! I do agree with letting Sherman go though because of the money. I love the Griffin pick for all the right reasons and I love the fact that they drafted a punter which will lead to Jon Ryan's release. I love Jon Ryan but we need to quit hanging onto high priced players that can easily be replaced. I kind of shook my head when they drafted Penney but love the pick now. One of my favorite drafts ever and can't wait to get back to the Clink!

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Yea we lost talent.
But we most definitely picked up great talent in Penny and Griffen.
Just remember Sherman and Bennett were nobodies at some point. Now they are older, more expensive, dealing with injuries and come with emotional/personal baggage--higher maintenance.
The team needed retooling.
Players needed to refuel and refocus.
This locker room doesn't need to be held hostage to personal matters of a few.
We added young new talent who are hungry, challenged, focused and humble. Besides the young talent, we have new coaches to challenge veterans. Only downside will be the early struggles but he'll we saw that last year too.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Positive indeed.

This little girl and her family were praying that the Seahawks drafted Griffin.
50dfaaab04d87bf5e257234cc1e290a3.jpg

Story made it all the way down here in Texas.

Long time fans from Seattle, imagine how this family, especially the little girl feels now.
Imagine the inspiration that she will be able to draw from this.

IMHO, this one story alone makes the pick “worth it”, anything he contributes on the field will be extra gravy.

YMMV but I don’t care.
GoHawks.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I'm excited to see how RW responds to a new OC, a new o-line coach, some healthy running backs, plus Penny!

Can't wait to see how the offense looks this year! :2thumbs:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's weird for me this year.

When we were rolling and one of the top 2-3 teams predicted to go all the way, I had more anxiety about the draft, and the team's personnel moves in general.

Now that I think it might be a couple years before we're back to that level of expectations? I have a much calmer approach to the draft and what's going on with the personnel moves.

Guess the pressure's off, so IMO any bigtime success is awesome, but not expected, least not by me.

original poster

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2kj5ci68 said:
It's weird for me this year.

When we were rolling and one of the top 2-3 teams predicted to go all the way, I had more anxiety about the draft, and the team's personnel moves in general.

Now that I think it might be a couple years before we're back to that level of expectations? I have a much calmer approach to the draft and what's going on with the personnel moves.

Guess the pressure's off, so IMO any bigtime success is awesome, but not expected, least not by me.

My thoughts exactly Sgt. 100%.

All pressure is off, just sit back and enjoy football like I used to without constantly battling my high expectations and being inevitably disappointed nine times out of ten.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points, first year in a very long time that I don't expect playoffs. If it happens, awesome, but it feels like a transition year, and that's ok.

bjboywonder

Reaction score
I think this was a great draft. I just wonder how many of the naysayers dug their heels in the sand and "knew" Cam, Avril, Bennett, Sherm or Russell would win us our first Superbowl. Oh yeah they didn't. I do remember on these boards people calling for Pete's head after two 7-9 seasons, I do remember people bad mouthing Russell and saying he was too short and could never be a pro. Who remembers the people shouting that we HAD to trade Baldwin because getting vet receivers in a trade for him was the only way we would ever win anything. The negative Nancys just find it easier to be negative than positive. This draft is one of the strongest I've seen in years, and penny is a huge influence in San Diego and will be here I'm hoping. This is a new team with some vets from our Superbowl years. What's not to be positive about. Go back to the 90's with all that negative talk and remember where we came from. I never liked being so popular in the media anyway; it created the egos that we've had to show the door.

original poster

Reaction score
bjboywonder":3cpbjg98 said:
I think this was a great draft. I just wonder how many of the naysayers dug their heels in the sand and "knew" Cam, Avril, Bennett, Sherm or Russell would win us our first Superbowl. Oh yeah they didn't. I do remember on these boards people calling for Pete's head after two 7-9 seasons, I do remember people bad mouthing Russell and saying he was too short and could never be a pro. Who remembers the people shouting that we HAD to trade Baldwin because getting vet receivers in a trade for him was the only way we would ever win anything. The negative Nancys just find it easier to be negative than positive. This draft is one of the strongest I've seen in years, and penny is a huge influence in San Diego and will be here I'm hoping. This is a new team with some vets from our Superbowl years. What's not to be positive about. Go back to the 90's with all that negative talk and remember where we came from. I never liked being so popular in the media anyway; it created the egos that we've had to show the door.

I like you.