Prediction: next head coach….Kafka

Rat

Reaction score
Not every team can win the Super Bowl every year. Reaching the second round of the playoffs last year with Daniel Jones throwing to Darius Slayton, Richie James, and Daniel Bellinger is nothing to be embarrassed about. Being stuck with DJ and that absurd contract they gave him is a nightmare scenario. You can't say he folded with the hand he was dealt.

bigcc

Reaction score
Not every team can win the Super Bowl every year. Reaching the second round of the playoffs last year with Daniel Jones throwing to Darius Slayton, Richie James, and Daniel Bellinger is nothing to be embarrassed about. Being stuck with DJ and that absurd contract they gave him is a nightmare scenario. You can't say he folded with the hand he was dealt.
They were 18th in ypg, 15th ppg, gave up the 5th most sacks that year

What an offensive mastermind 🙄

EDIT: they were 16th in offensive dvoa that year, 30th last year, he's objectively a poor candidate

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
It’s a wildcard but everything in John’s history points to Mike Kafta being the guy. A young offensive mind, he’s helped quarterbacks, the idea that if you get a young Quarterback you want some continuity with your staff to help him grow etc points to an offensive guy and that’s my prediction.

Am I crazy?

PS if I had a second option it would be Macdonald.
My wildcard would have to be Ejiro Evero. Out of the names that have been mentioned for interviews, it's him.

I think Kafka is a little green & not quite ready for a HC opportunity, based on some of the interviews that I've seen. I would be shocked if he ends up being the guy honestly.

I also find it really odd that not more information has trickled out so far. The team has done a really good job at keeping things in house. As no one really has any idea where this thing is headed. It's nuts.

I still think Ben Johnson is high on their list. I'm sure they would love to meet with him in person next week.

The MacDonald timeline is really fascinating as well. But I'm surprised that Vrabel hasn't even been interviewed as far as we know.

Last edited:

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
So Dan Quinn sucks because he couldn't have a transformative effect on a terrible team, but Kafka should be excused for the same thing?

I see the rationalization is in full effect already. And I do think there's a good chance we end up with Kafka because the better candidates have more leverage.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I get the reservation about Kafka but he's someone that is eerily similar to Mike McCarthy. John Schneider dropped that name multiple times during his end of the season presser.

JS has a huge Green Bay background. I don't think it's crazy at all. Schneider could be looking for someone that is all business and is about coaching rather than playing politics with the GM.

bigcc

Reaction score
I get the reservation about Kafka but he's someone that is eerily similar to Mike McCarthy. John Schneider dropped that name multiple times during his end of the season presser.

JS has a huge Green Bay background. I don't think it's crazy at all. Schneider could be looking for someone that is all business and is about coaching rather than playing politics with the GM.
How is he eerily similar to Mccarthy?

Mccarthy first two years at OC he was 10/10 in yards, 10/13 in points

Kafka was 18/ 29 in yards, 15/30 in points

Off to quite a similar start...... Lol

BTW Mccarthy ranked like that with nfl legend Jeff Blake and definition of mid Aaron Brooks those two seasons at qb

Not to mention that Kafka has no affiliation with the packers so it's a bizarre comparison all around. Mccarthy was an OC for 5 years before being HC, Kafka for 2

They're both named Mike I guess 🙄

morgulon1

Reaction score
What that you specifically know shows that he is worthy of a HC job?
I hear you. You could say that about many first time coaches. For example, McVay came from the Commanders who didn't have a great season the previous year.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
How is he eerily similar to Mccarthy?

Mccarthy first two years at OC he was 10/10 in yards, 10/13 in points

Kafka was 18/ 29 in yards, 15/30 in points

Off to quite a similar start...... Lol

BTW Mccarthy ranked like that with nfl legend Jeff Blake and definition of mid Aaron Brooks those two seasons at qb

Not to mention that Kafka has no affiliation with the packers so it's a bizarre comparison all around. Mccarthy was an OC for 5 years before being HC, Kafka for 2

They're both named Mike I guess 🙄

Then McCarthy went to the 49ers and had no QB and the team was forced to draft Alex Smith. That offense stunk and McCarthy become an after thought for a lot of fans. He remained well respected in NFL circles and a top candidate. He was a dark horse candidate and was a shock for some Packer fans. After all, McCarthy made his name by coaching QBs. This is what JS is probably looking for. Kafka has sort of done that with Mahomes and loosely with Daniel Jones in 2022.

It's not a perfect comparison but there's enough there to say...they are not dissimilar. Kafka never coached in GB but Andy Reid did.

Schneider played a hand in the hiring process of McCarthy to GB. Is he looking to replicate that with another smart, no drama, dry offense guy? I still see a lot of comparisons besides that they are both Mikes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
A surprising number of guys came from offenses that seem bad only to be offensive stars in their new roles. It's really hard to overcome bad talent so you have to look at the micro level and see what they're doing and that's why Kafka is respected. No one is going to turn the Giants into an offensive juggernaut with the talent they had and the injuries they had so its unfair to say "their offense sucked so Kafka sucks too"

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
My wildcard would have to be Ejiro Evero. Out of the names that have been mentioned for interviews, it's him.

I think Kafka is a little green & not quite ready for a HC opportunity, based on some of the interviews that I've seen. I would be shocked if he ends up being the guy honestly.

I also find it really odd that not more information has trickled out so far. The team has done a really good job at keeping things in house. As no one really has any idea where this thing is headed. It's nuts.

I still think Ben Johnson is high on their list. I'm sure they would love to meet with him in person next week.

The MacDonald timeline is really fascinating as well. But I'm surprised that Vrabel hasn't even been interviewed as far as we know.
I see almost exactly like you do the only difference is Kafka but we're actually pretty close on that one too.

bigcc

Reaction score
Then McCarthy went to the 49ers and had no QB and the team was forced to draft Alex Smith. That offense stunk and McCarthy become an after thought for a lot of fans. He remained well respected in NFL circles and a top candidate. He was a dark horse candidate and was a shock for some Packer fans. After all, McCarthy made his name by coaching QBs. This is what JS is probably looking for Kafka has sort of done that with Mahomes and loosely with Daniel Jones in 2022.

It's not a perfect comparison but there's enough there to say...they are not dissimilar. Kafka never coached in GB but Andy Reid did.

Schneider played a hand in the hiring process of McCarthy to GB. Is he looking replicate that with another smart, no drama, dry offense guy? I still see a lot of comparisons besides that they are both Mikes.
Mccarthy was favres qb coach when they had literally a top 10 scoring and yardage offense.

He also coached previously mentioned Aaron Brooks and some bum named Hasselbeck as the backups that year.

He had literally worked for the same team as the GM who hired him as HC, back in 99. But I'm sure that played no role.

Now where is that kind of connection with Kafka? You are really trying to stretch for some reason, it's not the end of the world that he's not ready for a HC job.

EDIT: btw Schneider and Mccarthy also worked together in KC before Mccarthy went to work with the eventual gm who hired him back at GB as HC

They all knew each other, Kafka has no connection here, with anyone to my knowledge

Rat

Reaction score
They were 18th in ypg, 15th ppg, gave up the 5th most sacks that year

What an offensive mastermind 🙄

EDIT: they were 16th in offensive dvoa that year, 30th last year, he's objectively a poor candidate
Yeah, I guess I don't know why our front office is giving him interviews then. It's like they consider context with stats or something. Weird.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Kafka just for the Final Fantasy 3 references.

Before any of you correct me and say it's actually Final Fantasy 6, I literally have the SNES cartridge and it says 3 on it, so it will forever be Final Fantasy 3, sort of like how Greedo didn't actually shoot at Han first.

Also, I have Final Fantasy 7 on PlayStation, and her name is Aeris, not Aerith. Always has been, always will be.

I need to get a life.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I don't know why our front office is giving him interviews then. It's like they consider context with stats or something. Weird.
I don't either!

Scary stuff! How much context did carroll need when we hired him? 🤔

bigcc

Reaction score

Before any of you correct me and say it's actually Final Fantasy 6, I literally have the SNES cartridge and it says 3 on it, so it will forever be Final Fantasy 3, sort of like how Han didn't actually shoot first.

Also, I have Final Fantasy 7 on PlayStation, and her name is Aeris, not Aerith. Always has been, always will be.

I need to get a life.
Kafka was LITERALLY dressed like a clown, so fitting analogy between the two!

BTW I used to be on the same page about aeris, you should play ff7r, hearing it vocalized throughout the game changed my mind on it

CallMeADawg

Reaction score

Before any of you correct me and say it's actually Final Fantasy 6, I literally have the SNES cartridge and it says 3 on it, so it will forever be Final Fantasy 3, sort of like how Han didn't actually shoot first.

I need to get a life.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Mccarthy was favres qb coach when they had literally a top 10 scoring and yardage offense.

He also coached previously mentioned Aaron Brooks and some bum named Hasselbeck as the backups that year.

He had literally worked for the same team as the GM who hired him as HC, back in 99. But I'm sure that played no role.

Now where is that kind of connection with Kafka? You are really trying to stretch for some reason, it's not the end of the world that he's not ready for a HC job.

EDIT: btw Schneider and Mccarthy also worked together in KC before Mccarthy went to work with the eventual gm who hired him back at GB as HC

They all knew each other, Kafka has no connection here, with anyone to my knowledge

It is somewhat of a stretch. I also think we shouldn't dismiss it. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Yeah, no kidding he isn't McCarthy. But in today's NFL when everyone is looking for the next big head coach -- can someone have the time to build up that much of a resume? I'm not comparing their resumes. You can take it literally but I'm not going to. You do you though.

At the end of the day, Kafka has no connections to GB. But Schneider does. He is probably wanting to get back to the GB way now that he has full control. What works for them? An offense minded coach that can develop QBs. Homlgren, McCarthy, LaFleur.

We're all just speculating. Who knows what the Hawks are thinking. But I do think there is enough there to say Kafka is probably being taken seriously. He is much more in the mold of McCarthy, Reid, Holmgren. Coaches that are boring personalities but are highly successful because their offenses work. They can develop QBs. I'm pointing out that JS is probably looking for that and Kafka has the endorsement of Patrick Mahomes. Take that as you may but it does have huge influence.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Kafka was LITERALLY dressed like a clown, so fitting analogy between the two!
Lol perfect.

BTW I used to be on the same page about aeris, you should play ff7r, hearing it vocalized throughout the game changed my mind on it

I did play the remake. Still hate Aerith. Sounds like a lisp when it's pronounced.

There's a reason the company tasked with translating to English in the initial release made the decision to go with Aeris. They poorly translated some things, but that was a good call IMO.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the convo. Maybe we can start a nerd thread in the lounge sometime.

bigcc

Reaction score
It is somewhat of a stretch. I also think we shouldn't dismiss it. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Yeah, no kidding he isn't McCarthy. But in today's NFL when everyone is looking for the next big head coach -- can someone have the time to build up that much of a resume? I'm not comparing their resumes. You can take it literally but I'm not going to. You do you though.

At the end of the day, Kafka has no connections to GB. But Schneider does. He is probably wanting to get back to the GB way now that he has full control. What works for them? An offense minded coach that can develop QBs. Homlgren, McCarthy, LaFleur.

We're all just speculating. Who knows what the Hawks are thinking. But I do think there is enough there to say Kafka is probably being taken seriously. He is much more in the mold of McCarthy, Reid, Holmgren. Coaches that are boring personalities but are highly successful because their offenses work. They can develop QBs. I'm pointing out that JS is probably looking for that and Kafka has the endorsement of Patrick Mahomes. Take that as you may but it does have huge influence.
We can definitely agree on him being taken seriously.

I just think there are significantly better candidates out there, I thought geno Smith would be complete trash, and I was happy when we traded for harvin.... So I've certainly been wrong before lol, but if Johnson or Macdonald are available and we choose Kafka, I'll be disappointed to say the least, because I think it would be a decision we came to regret for the foreseeable future.

But if we do hire him I'll root to be wrong every Sunday (or Monday.... Or Thursday.... Or Saturday late season)

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
We can definitely agree on him being taken seriously.

I just think there are significantly better candidates out there, I thought geno Smith would be complete trash, and I was happy when we traded for harvin.... So I've certainly been wrong before lol, but if Johnson or Macdonald are available and we choose Kafka, I'll be disappointed to say the least, because I think it would be a decision we came to regret for the foreseeable future.

But if we do hire him I'll root to be wrong every Sunday (or Monday.... Or Thursday.... Or Saturday late season)

I see it similarly. I would much rather have Macdonald or Johnson even though I'm predicting Kafka for fun.