Prediction: next head coach….Kafka

Rat

Reaction score
I don't either!

Scary stuff! How much context did carroll need when we hired him? đŸ¤”
Quite a bit considering how many were using the whole "college coach" thing against him. Context told us it wasn't the exact same situation as when hiring Bobby Petrino, Nick Saban, Dennis Erickson, Mike Riley, etc.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe Kafka's great, but nothing about watching the Giants offense run screams genius coordinator.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
We can definitely agree on him being taken seriously.

I just think there are significantly better candidates out there, I thought geno Smith would be complete trash, and I was happy when we traded for harvin.... So I've certainly been wrong before lol, but if Johnson or Macdonald are available and we choose Kafka, I'll be disappointed to say the least, because I think it would be a decision we came to regret for the foreseeable future.

But if we do hire him I'll root to be wrong every Sunday (or Monday.... Or Thursday.... Or Saturday late season)

Right.

I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that Kafka is not exciting. But Schneider was involved in this process before and their group went with the boring coach. So who knows...

Last edited:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
My prediction,,,,,I have no freaking clue at this point of who the Seahawks next coach is going to be and it's kind of fun.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I think Kafka is being considered for OC rather than HC. The wide net and candidates interviewed suggest to me that John is working on assembling a coaching team. I wouldn't be surprised if the future OC and DC are amongst the candidates already interviewed (that we assumed were interviewed for HC positions).

The HC will be announced, the top two assistants will be announced almost immediately after, and it will be apparent that John had a strong vision of what he wanted. While the national media thought he was scrambling to find a head coach, John was quietly assembling his entire coaching team.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
My prediction,,,,,I have no freaking clue at this point of who the Seahawks next coach is going to be and it's kind of fun.
Right? Its driving me nuts and its fun all at the same time lol.

OP
OP
Ozzy

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think Kafka is being considered for OC rather than HC. The wide net and candidates interviewed suggest to me that John is working on assembling a coaching team. I wouldn't be surprised if the future OC and DC are amongst the candidates already interviewed (that we assumed were interviewed for HC positions).

The HC will be announced, the top two assistants will be announced almost immediately after, and it will be apparent that John had a strong vision of what he wanted. While the national media thought he was scrambling to find a head coach, John was quietly assembling his entire coaching team.
This is very likely. If he goes with a young coach like Macdonald/Johnson they may need John to help get a staff together because they don't have a large network to draw from. We could see a Johnson/Evero, Macdonald/Kafka or any other mix someone can think of.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Do we trust Schneider or not?

I do. Slow playing the hire waiting for the best candidates to become available for interview seems like a great plan. Johnson and MacDonald IMO seem to be those dudes.

This isn't college where you HAVE to replace your coach within days or risk losing half your team in the transfer portal.

All these teams pulling hamstrings rushing out to hire retreads and mid coaches doesn't seem like the best course of action.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan

I would assume whoever they hire as HC will be tasked with naming OC and DC, but JS will need to approve of those candidates.
I approve of the stalling strategy being productively actioned.

bigcc

Reaction score

Nope

Can't sign a coordinator to a lateral movement

We could technically trade for him? Maybe giants would accept a buyout for his final season?

Point being they'd have to REALLY want him at OC for this to happen

chris98251

Reaction score
Then McCarthy went to the 49ers and had no QB and the team was forced to draft Alex Smith. That offense stunk and McCarthy become an after thought for a lot of fans. He remained well respected in NFL circles and a top candidate. He was a dark horse candidate and was a shock for some Packer fans. After all, McCarthy made his name by coaching QBs. This is what JS is probably looking for. Kafka has sort of done that with Mahomes and loosely with Daniel Jones in 2022.

It's not a perfect comparison but there's enough there to say...they are not dissimilar. Kafka never coached in GB but Andy Reid did.

Schneider played a hand in the hiring process of McCarthy to GB. Is he looking to replicate that with another smart, no drama, dry offense guy? I still see a lot of comparisons besides that they are both Mikes.
Some other guy named Mike also made a name for himself coaching QB's and then had a pretty good career and won a Super Bowl and went to others. ummm umm of yeah last name Holmgren.

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
Nope

Can't sign a coordinator to a lateral movement

We could technically trade for him? Maybe giants would accept a buyout for his final season?

Point being they'd have to REALLY want him at OC for this to happen
You should learn the rules completely before making a "nope" comment. You just have to give the new OC or DC the title of assistant head coach to get around this. That way, it is not considered a lateral hire.

Jac

Reaction score
It reminds me of being a kid at Christmas and seeing the big present under the tree. Am I going to be ecstatic or epically disappointed? It's the same way I feel going into Draft Day for the first round each year (or most years at least...)

bigcc

Reaction score
You should learn the rules completely before making a "nope" comment. You just have to give the new OC or DC the title of assistant head coach to get around this. That way, it is not considered a lateral hire.
I'm not entirely sure that's true as it's not a step up in duties, but I'd love to be proven wrong (seriously, I really don't know)

Either way, not a great selling point with

"ok so, we'd like to hire you as HC, but just so you know weve already picked your OC for you and he's going to be your assistant head coach, it's cool though everyone knows it's a title only"

Sun Tzu

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure that's true as it's not a step up in duties, but I'd love to be proven wrong (seriously, I really don't know)

Either way, not a great selling point with

"ok so, we'd like to hire you as HC, but just so you know weve already picked your OC for you and he's going to be your assistant head coach, it's cool though everyone knows it's a title only"
It is true.

To the bold:
Did I say that's how it would go down?
Do any of us know what's going on in those meetings?
Do you know that John doesn't already have his head coach lined up and on board with who is being looked at for assistants?

bigcc

Reaction score
It is true.

To the bold:
Did I say that's how it would go down?
Do any of us know what's going on in those meetings?
Do you know that John doesn't already have his head coach lined up and on board with who is being looked at for assistants?
Well I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have it lined up because Macdonald and Johnson aren't going to sign without getting their own guys, they'll just wait one year

I'm also pretty sure because they wouldn't have done any interviews after Ben, and they haven't been able to talk to Macdonald quite yet due to weird timing.

If they aren't on the conference championship participants they could announce it whenever the **** they want to

So no, I don't know, but god bless the poor fool who'd bet they have some underground deal in place they aren't announcing for.... Reasons

toffee

Reaction score

That makes perfect sense, Pete's downfall was his inability to hire great coordinators, John is addressing that in his hiring?

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
My wildcard would have to be Ejiro Evero. Out of the names that have been mentioned for interviews, it's him.

I think Kafka is a little green & not quite ready for a HC opportunity, based on some of the interviews that I've seen. I would be shocked if he ends up being the guy honestly.

I also find it really odd that not more information has trickled out so far. The team has done a really good job at keeping things in house. As no one really has any idea where this thing is headed. It's nuts.

I still think Ben Johnson is high on their list. I'm sure they would love to meet with him in person next week.

The MacDonald timeline is really fascinating as well. But I'm surprised that Vrabel hasn't even been interviewed as far as we know.
Don't rule out Slowik either - I predict he is still in the running.

flv2

Reaction score
I've never interviewed or hired anyone so feel free to move on to the next post.

It occurs to me that the more people you interview for a post the more important the interview becomes and the less relevant the résumé becomes. Interview enough people and you'll hire the most dynamic interviewee even if that person is barely qualified for the post. There's no perfect system to get the best hire, only multiple ways to get it wrong.