Prediction: The 9ers lose the next two divisional games

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough. He's famous for making stuff up that either happened and he claims didn't happen (even with proof on video/audio proving otherwise) but you'll get used to it.
At some point, it's more than just Sherm being Sherm. Meh, loved him as a Hawk, glad he's gone.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":netuufh0 said:
Fair enough. He's famous for making stuff up that either happened and he claims didn't happen (even with proof on video/audio proving otherwise) but you'll get used to it.
At some point, it's more than just Sherm being Sherm. Meh, loved him as a Hawk, glad he's gone.

Its no news that he uses this stuff as fuel...perceived or real disrespect, but I think there was more to this one.

Bottom line tho, won't let it spoil my euphoria over the win. :)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1mc4ei44 said:
Meanwhile, Sherm claiming that Baker didn't shake his hand. Even though you see it plain as day that he DID on numerous videos. Why does he insist on making stuff up? Why lie? I don't get it, what does he gain from literally making stuff up? You won the game, that's still not enough?
I read that he was referring to meeting him during pre-game warm-ups, but who knows. Marvin just said after the kick-off meeting. I don't know.

Marvin, got a link for more info on this? Just curious.

94Smith

Reaction score
I think they will beat the Rams for the same reasons they beat the Browns. Rams offensive line vs the 49ers defensive line is a huge mismatch. The Rams O line has been having troubles all season. Goff will get flustered under pressure and make a few errant throws. The 49ers should be able to run the ball against the Rams front. Rams D line is not as good against the run and this is going back to last season. Ross Dwelley will step into the position of Juice

I could see the 49ers losing to the Seahawks. Wilson's ability to scramble and make plays should negate the excellent pass rush. The Seahawks are much better against the run. This game will be more about Jimmy's ability and the pass game

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2b1i2w5r said:
SoulfishHawk":2b1i2w5r said:
Meanwhile, Sherm claiming that Baker didn't shake his hand. Even though you see it plain as day that he DID on numerous videos. Why does he insist on making stuff up? Why lie? I don't get it, what does he gain from literally making stuff up? You won the game, that's still not enough?
I read that he was referring to meeting him during pre-game warm-ups, but who knows. Marvin just said after the kick-off meeting. I don't know.

Marvin, got a link for more info on this? Just curious.

Several outlets...but here is the actually post toss video. Really not a big deal, but made so because they already had issues with Baker and because Sherman is always looking for something. LOL.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HollowClay/status/1181616841761939456[/tweet]

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sherman is lying IMO.

Athletes sometimes to do this to hype themselves up.

For years Shaq reported a story about David Robinson denying him an autograph and treating him like dirt when he was a kid. He even wrote about it in his autobiography. Year later he admitted he made the whole thing up to motivate himself to get up to play Robinson.

My guess is that this is like that. Sherman is full of crap, but not uniquely full of crap. He didn't like the way Mayfield ran off and then turned that into a bigger thing than it was to hype himself up, would be my guess.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2bnd02jr said:
OK fair points Marvin49.

But explain to me how they're going to prevail against Rams on a short week let alone against other contenders.

They have no depth at FB. None. They're going to have to get someone else ready to play that position in six days (who?) and/or have plays where blocking is less important (starting Sunday).

They could get close but like any other team, they depend on the FG unit to produce when things go wrong/the injury bug. The kicker is powerfully important, SF has a good one, but he missed three.

...the same way they have all year.

Losing Juszczyk sucks, but TE Ross Dwelley was playing FB later in the game. Is it really your contention that suddenly the 49ers will be incapable of running the ball while averaging 200 yards per game? No depth at fullback? That's funny. Of COURSE they have no depth at FB. Most teams DON'T EVEN HAVE A FB. LOL.

Did you really watch that game last night and think, "welp, no Juszczyk, no way does Shanahan find another way to run the ball. I guess they throw the ball 40 times a game now"?

The Rams rank 15th in rushing defense.

Kicker? One miss, one bad snap, and one block. It was the worst performance of his career. I wouldn't expect ONE GAME to be the trend.

"How will the 49ers block the passrush of the Steelers/Browns without Joe Staley"?

"How will the 49ers cover Odell Beckham without Ahkello Witherspoon"?

Answer a question for me...

How is Jared Goff going to contend with Bosa, Buckner, Ford, and Armstead? How will he contend with consistent pressure from 4 down linemen and 7 man coverage?

I make no predictions, but I think your outlook is a bit "the sky is falling". Should be a fun game on Sunday.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, there is a Cards game against the 49ers. I thought it was later, and definitely misspoke there. I meant they wouldn't win against the Rams and Hawks, not those birds.

So ... Sherm. If there's tape of him saying Mayfield didn't shake hands when he's on tape doing so, that's not the same as Mayfield not shaking hands again or whatever the issue is between them. And even if true, he didn't have to put it on blast like that, except that it won him huge accolades over Crabs and he's been doing it since.

Speaking of, if Crabs hadn't been released from the Cards they'd be matching up on Halloween TNF.

As to Goff and their run game, that's definitely a deficiency that I expect the 49ers to exploit. If they win that game, it'll be on D.

However, they at some point will have to consistently deep pass to seal the deal for real.

I suppose they can sub Dwelley in for FB. But like you said, most teams don't even HAVE one and plus Dwelley has scant stats even as a TE. Don't have instant replay, but don't remember him being impressive ever and do remember wondering why he was even there yesterday. He's a backup who's affected nothing except perhaps backing up and into Staley's leg.

Here's what Shanny said about using the FB in spring:

“I’m always going to use the fullback. I believe in it strongly,” Shanahan said in the spring. “I like having the fullback because the only time you can really dictate the game on offense. If you put three receivers out there, then they can run certain blitzes and stunts where you cannot run the ball. And they can force you to pass and they can force you to do things. When you have a fullback out there, it doesn’t matter how many guys they have in the box, which is nice because if they put a lot of guys in the box it makes it easier to throw.”

Yeah, if that FB is Juice, who is now is out 4-6 weeks according to ModBee (https://amp.modbee.com/sports/article235926907.html). That's three div games (not two as I said in error). That puts the 9ers in a position to have someone who's not very good play a position that few use because they don't have someone like Juice, or shuffle their lineup to what their offense is not used to--which has more implications for the team than losing a depth position. And immediately on a short week.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3jtzniw6 said:
Shoot, there is a Cards game against the 49ers. I thought it was later, and definitely misspoke there. I meant they wouldn't win against the Rams and Hawks, not those birds.

So ... Sherm. If there's tape of him saying Mayfield didn't shake hands when he's on tape doing so, that's not the same as Mayfield not shaking hands again or whatever the issue is between them. And even if true, he didn't have to put it on blast like that, except that it won him huge accolades over Crabs and he's been doing it since.

Speaking of, if Crabs hadn't been released from the Cards they'd be matching up on Halloween TNF.

As to Goff and their run game, that's definitely a deficiency that I expect the 49ers to exploit. If they win that game, it'll be on D.

However, they at some point will have to consistently deep pass to seal the deal for real.

I suppose they can sub Dwelley in for FB. But like you said, most teams don't even HAVE one and plus Dwelley has scant stats even as a TE. Don't have instant replay, but don't remember him being impressive ever and do remember wondering why he was even there yesterday. He's a backup who's affected nothing except perhaps backing up and into Staley's leg.

Here's what Shanny said about using the FB in spring:

“I’m always going to use the fullback. I believe in it strongly,” Shanahan said in the spring. “I like having the fullback because the only time you can really dictate the game on offense. If you put three receivers out there, then they can run certain blitzes and stunts where you cannot run the ball. And they can force you to pass and they can force you to do things. When you have a fullback out there, it doesn’t matter how many guys they have in the box, which is nice because if they put a lot of guys in the box it makes it easier to throw.”

Yeah, if that FB is Juice, who is now is out 4-6 weeks according to ModBee (https://amp.modbee.com/sports/article235926907.html). That's three div games (not two as I said in error). That puts the 9ers in a position to have someone who's not very good play a position that few use because they don't have someone like Juice, or shuffle their lineup to what their offense is not used to--which has more implications for the team than losing a depth position. And immediately on a short week.

k....

1) I do not believe that you have to be able to hit deep passes consistently to win games. Do you have to have the THREAT to be able to hit those passes? Yes. You need that to stretch the defense.

Garoppolo currently averages 8.1 yards per attempt, 7th in the NFL. Wilson is one of the best deep ball throwers in the game...which is great, but it ain't the only way to win. Jimmy is very good in the 15-25 yard range, which is just fine.

2) The Fullback is a big part of what they do. No question. That doesn't mean however that they are dead in the water without it. Someone will play FB at times and at others they will go without. Multiple TE sets, 2 HB sets, Kittle or Dwelley in the backfield....there are alot of options. It's not ideal, but thats football.

Never heard of Dwelley? No stats? Had you heard of Justin Skule? Emmanuel Moseley? It's next man up. Would I rather Staley, Witherspoon and Juszczyk were playing? Off course I do but this is football and people get hurt. You just keep going and scheme around it. That's what Shanahan does well.

Its just funny to me to read you dumping dirt on the grave of a 4-0 team. LOL.

James in PA

Reaction score
Did Sherman threaten to have press passes taken away from any 49ers writers yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
James in PA":3nahrkev said:
Did Sherman threaten to have press passes taken away from any 49ers writers yet?

There's no need, really. Many of the longtime 49ers writers have signed on with The Athletic or are behind newspaper paywalls wanting $10-$15 month to read their ad-ridden website and allow their PI to be sold for yet more junk mail. Matt M is pretty much the only one you can get anything from now from free.

Plus as I said, the 9ers press corps (except Kawakami who most 9ers hate) are like Jed Yotk in how much they hate the Seahawks even six years later all stemming from the "just the tip." Plus everyone here is into Stanford as the legit "smart school" far more than Cal. Sherm's missed tackles get barely a whiff from any of them, but when he makes one, it makes top of the news every time, it's talked on KNBR for hours. To be fair, I wonder whether SEA released this guy too early as clearly he had gas left in the tank.

Which brings me to Shaquill. Nice development so far; he's turning into a keystone piece, but he was just on 60 Minutes saying he doesn't do anything without Shaquem. SEA has 1 for the price of 2 now with no way to get out of this easily.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1vu388cj said:
This is a SEAHAWKS page gramps. You spend more time talking about how great the Niners are than any Hawks "fan" I've seen on here. You rarely have anything good to say about the Hawks. But hey, fan how you want.
NOPE it's the NFL page ...lay off the bong water...Does yer husband know about yer addiction ? Are you Okay ?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":2i9xxffj said:
Congrats on beating teams with a combined 5-15 record, .250 win %.
Do they hand out trophies for that after 4 games? Asking for a friend.

But hey, don’t let me get in the way of your planning of a Super Bowl parade next Feb.

Maulbert

Reaction score
xray":3vd1tnzv said:
SoulfishHawk":3vd1tnzv said:
This is a SEAHAWKS page gramps. You spend more time talking about how great the Niners are than any Hawks "fan" I've seen on here. You rarely have anything good to say about the Hawks. But hey, fan how you want.
NOPE it's the NFL page ...lay off the bong water...Does yer husband know about yer addiction ? Are you Okay ?

Considering how hard you hit the bong on Kyler Murray, you've got no room to judge.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":69bc95ed said:
Marvin49":69bc95ed said:
Congrats on beating teams with a combined 5-15 record, .250 win %.
Do they hand out trophies for that after 4 games? Asking for a friend.

But hey, don’t let me get in the way of your planning of a Super Bowl parade next Feb.

You realize your 4 wins are against teams with a combined .275

Latest posts