The next challenge - this team is going to the Superb Owl

Rob12

Reaction score
For a team this talented, what's the next challenge?

This year has been wrought with adversity. Chancellor's holdout set the tone early in the season. It wasn't good. Players were pissed. Cary Williams was getting torched week after week. Our offensive line was in shambles. Russell wasn't that good. Lynch was breaking down. Whispers, or shouts, of Jimmy not getting the ball enough. Our defense was getting torched by good passing offenses, and laying waste to the bottom dwelling quarterbacks of the league. The first eight games of the season showed us how deep this team can go, as talented as they are, in underachieving. That's when I felt like this team had chosen to be a collection of individuals rather than the most talented team in the league. It was painful to watch. I was at the Carolina game and as our offense repeatedly went three and out, that feeling of despair sunk in. We let them up after a nine-count, and they knocked us out in the final seconds. But it didn't spark anything really, as the team continued to struggle following that heartbreaking loss.

But now Cary is gone, and to quote Earl, "We're having fun again." I give this front office a lot of credit for jettisoning Williams. Never would I have thought that one player on the defensive side of the ball could derail an elite unit, but it looks like he was in the process of doing just that. Signing him was a big whiff by this front office, who has had their share of misses - but the home runs have dominated. Without Williams, the LOB is back, and I think the rest of the league is ******** bricks at the fact that they didn't put the Seahawks down while they had the chance.

The next challenge for this team is this:

We're going on the road in the playoffs.

And really, I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. This team NEEDS a chip on their shoulder. They need a challenge. Going on the road in the playoffs provides that challenge, does it not? This group of players have never had to do it before. They need the naysayers to be out in full force. 6-5 at one point in 2012. 2013 was easy. This season, they were 2-4 at one point and the rest of the league wrote prematurely of the Seahawks demise. They have responded with five wins in their last six games, and their offense is performing on unprecedented levels under the PC regime, and all of the sudden, everyone is waking up and saying, "Oh, ****." We're back to back defending NFC Champions for a reason, and Santa Clara comes through US, whether we're on the road or not.

We have a rookie running back that is torching defenses week after week and a quarterback that has suddenly become absolutely deadly inside the pocket. If swag is a real thing, our defense is getting it back. Make no mistake, there's not a team that wants us in the playoffs. Not the Cardinals, and surely not the Panthers. That earlier season game against the Panthers was a fluke, as the Seahawks have owned Cam throughout his career. One quarter of football does not change that.

We're going to Santa Clara in February. It's up to the 53 and the traveling 12's from there. But I love our chances. The focus has returned, and this team is pissed off.

Go Hawks.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
I feel more confident this year about road playoff games then I have in the past. Unfortunately my opinion don't mean a damn thing!

GO HAWKS!!

Seafan

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said. CWill hurt the defense but not nearly as badly as both the safeties missing preseason. Also not having an offense that could get first downs and score more than 3 points in the 4th quarter hurt the defense more as well.

There were a lot of problems with the defense. The LBs weren't playing great early on. Shead played safety during preseason and the Hawks couldn't nail down the slot defender either. I expect with Shead now playing CB full time and Lane getting back into the flow of his season the secondary will get better and better, just as Thomas and Kam have done week by week. If the LOB had been up to snuff they could have survived a weak RCB. But with the exception of Avril, Bennett and Sherm the entire defense was mediocre. The offensive uptick is certainly helping and the defense is heading in the right direction.