Projections for this year's offensive line

Rainger

Reaction score
I think someone new who we don't know is going to make the line. I cant believe there is no one out there. I do agree that guys like bowie and bailey will get much more time.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Russell holds the ball so damn long, there is no way you can use traditional stats to measure this OLine. Also, we play the Rams, the 49ers And Cardinals twice each during the season.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1z27mr7s said:
Russell holds the ball so damn long, there is no way you can use traditional stats to measure this OLine. Also, we play the Rams, the 49ers And Cardinals twice each during the season.

Seems like some good reasons to have a high quality offensive line.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
I am excited to see what kind of improvements our OL will get this year. Pete knows we need to upgrade and when he identifies a weakness on this team, he focuses attention on it to get it corrected.
McQ should walk, resign JP, sign Breno if the $ is right. Jury for me is still out on Carp but it doesn't look good.
I don't like Okungs contract vs health, but there may not be much that can be done about that this year.
I would expect to see at least 1 new starter on the OL next year.

jblaze

Reaction score
I see McQ and Breno walking and us drafting 1 OG and 1 OT fairly early. OL will be a focus in this draft. Deep class there.

OL is one of those areas you need to go a bit higher in the draft to get studs. You can always get depth later but starters are a bit harder to hit on.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think out of all the position groups, O-Line is going to have the most off season volatility.

In a couple months McQuistan, Carp and Beno could all be gone if we have a strong O-Line draft, free agency period and guys like Sweezy and Bailey have strong off season OTA's.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":27we3pjh said:
I think out of all the position groups, O-Line is going to have the most off season volatility.

In a couple months McQuistan, Carp and Beno could all be gone if we have a strong O-Line draft, free agency period and guys like Sweezy and Bailey have strong off season OTA's.

I agree! Some of the problem may be the receivers need to get separation a little quicker.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
At the end of the day "continuity" is the biggest factor in success on an O-line........along with some talant factor, of course.

Our biggest weakness has been at LG. That is where I see change occuring.

LT - Okung
LG - Bailey or Draft pick
C - Unger
RG - Sweezy
RT - Breno

I think there is a good chance that Breno is re-signed to a reasonable deal. I don't see change at LT, C or RG this offseason. LG is where something will happen. I think they draft a Guard and let Bailey, Draft pick and Carp battle it out. It will be Carp's last chance to prove he belongs.

Just my 2 cents.

:thirishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Frozenropers":s6tapudu said:
I think there is a good chance that Breno is re-signed to a reasonable deal. I don't see change at LT, C or RG this offseason. LG is where something will happen. I think they draft a Guard and let Bailey, Draft pick and Carp battle it out. It will be Carp's last chance to prove he belongs.

I don't think Carp will be back. His cap hit in 2014 is 2.4M with 1M dead cap. That's a lot of money to pay a guy who's now getting beat out by undrafted free agents for playing time.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Brahn":2am1qcov said:
hawknation2014":2am1qcov said:
NFSeahawks628":2am1qcov said:
Why Sweezy? Why are we sticking with player on the O line just because, kick everyone and get better.

Sweezy improved a lot as a pass blocker in his second year. He was reliable, taking 983 snaps (181 more snaps than any other linemen). Despite playing a lot of snaps, he allowed just one sack all year. Overall, he had the highest pass blocking rating on the line (+1.2 per PFF). He needs to continue to get stronger, entering his third year, and to improve his run blocking technique.

I really liked what I saw from the rookies Bailey and Bowie. But I'm curious to hear other people's thoughts on them.

Giacomini and McQuistan combined for allowing 12 sacks and 42 QB hurries. They were also liabilities in the run game. If they draft well, it could be addition by subtraction with them.

^This plus the fact he was a DT, not a OT or a G... but a DT.... 2 years ago. The guy is on pace to be a Pro Bowler soon by the way his learning curve is going.

Fair enough on Sweezy. McQ sucks plain and simple and Breno is average at best.

As far as Carpenter I saw some promise in a few games but he needs to get in somewhat shape, I understand this is hard given his size but get it done.

Jean Pierre is a rock at center, I think I even prefer him to Unger.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":25z2ws8e said:

You prefer a backup to a pro bowler?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3oxtx9o7 said:
NFSeahawks628":3oxtx9o7 said:

Saying someone elected to the Probowl is better than another player is very simplistic. The Pro Bowl is NOT a measurement for a player's ability on the field, it's a popularity contest. Lemeul is a beast and I think it's debatable as to who played better at center this year.

I like Okung, Bailey, Unger, Sweezy and Bowie. I don't think we got our money's worth out of the offensive line this year or even last year.

Russell Wilson got beat up way too much and Marshawn Lynch got hit behind the line way too many times for my liking. I would rather go with servicable guys that can stay healthy all year than pay millions to guys who are barely above average and can't stay on the field. Tired of the musical chairs at Oline, and I'm sure RW is too.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ivotuk":vkc7rxd5 said:
Sgt. Largent":vkc7rxd5 said:
NFSeahawks628":vkc7rxd5 said:

Saying someone elected to the Probowl is better than another player is very simplistic. The Pro Bowl is NOT a measurement for a player's ability on the field, it's a popularity contest. Lemeul is a beast and I think it's debatable as to who played better at center this year..

We know who played better because Unger was the starter the entire year except when he was injured.

is Pete the kind of coach that caters to veteran loyalty BS? No, he's the kind of coach that has no problem benching starters if they're not performing. So to say Pierre is a better center is insane, especially up against one of the best centers in the league.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":258mygv4 said:
ivotuk":258mygv4 said:
Sgt. Largent":258mygv4 said:
NFSeahawks628":258mygv4 said:

Saying someone elected to the Probowl is better than another player is very simplistic. The Pro Bowl is NOT a measurement for a player's ability on the field, it's a popularity contest. Lemeul is a beast and I think it's debatable as to who played better at center this year..

We know who played better because Unger was the starter the entire year except when he was injured.

is Pete the kind of coach that caters to veteran loyalty BS? No, he's the kind of coach that has no problem benching starters if they're not performing. So to say Pierre is a better center is insane, especially up against one of the best centers in the league.

That's not always true. I.e. Sherman, Kam, Maxwell, you might even be able to throw Smith in there as he was clearly one of our best LB, yet he was not the starter all season. LJP played very well this year. Unger struggled all season with some injury issues. He was voted Pro Bowl on his performance last year when he was All Pro.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I'm taking the Kam Chancellor view of Unger. I just think he wasn't healthy last year. He's a better player than what we saw.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Having Jean Pierre at Center forced RW to call OL adjustments at the line. A whole offseason could cure that issue, but there'd be growing pains hoping he's capable at running the line when games start counting, and that he will indeed be better or more durable than Unger. Quite a commitment.

chris98251

Reaction score
Think physically Jean Pierre is better, I think the rub comes with the mental aspect and Unger making real time adjustment calls etc.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
chris98251":2llf9bqv said:
Think physically Jean Pierre is better, I think the rub comes with the mental aspect and Unger making real time adjustment calls etc.

Jean Pierre seems so small. The official roster says 301, but that's probably with a ten pound weight in his pocket. ZBS makes size less of an issue so maybe it's not a big deal to Cable an Co.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Fuzzman55":3b409odr said:
chris98251":3b409odr said:

Jean Pierre seems so small. The official roster says 301, but that's probably with a ten pound weight in his pocket. ZBS makes size less of an issue so maybe it's not a big deal to Cable an Co.

Dude is ripped. Saw an after game interview, and he had the makings of a sixpack showing. For an Olineman, that is something.

sam1313

Reaction score
I couldn't believe how badly Unger sucked during the Super Bowl. He was the one glaring weakness on our line, and I saw him just get blown up 4 or 5 times in the first half alone. I didn't notice this at the game, but when I watched on TV, I was calling for LJP to replace Unger. As sad as it is, Unger may have been our worse OL this year. I don't think it is fair at all to give him a pass. Maybe he was just hurt all year - maybe - but I wouldn't mind seeing more competition at center either.

We certainly need to address LG too. I would be really happy if Carp got his butt in awesome shape this off season and came in looking great next year, but I'm having a harder and harder time picking that.

Surprisingly, I though Breno played pretty darn well down the stretch this year. The first half of the season, I wanted to replace him with B or B, but he really stepped it up to close putt the year. I wouldn't be against signing him to a reasonable contract.