Projections for this year's offensive line

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I agree about Unger. He did not have a stellar game I saw all season. Perhaps he was playing games hurt a bit. Only the coaches know for sure. The ZBS that Cable likes seems to favor the use of athletic and big lineman. I think that's why Carp and McQ struggle.
The O line was the weak link I believe we all would agree.
I hope they take a hard look at performance and fix it

plyka

Reaction score
Wenhawk":hinv8muh said:
I think Cable has the ability to coach up the right kind of guys. Breno, Unger, and Swezzey have all gotten much better over the last 3 years. I'd be surprised if he was asking for us to use a high pick on OL right now, I think he is probably fairly happy with his talent and might look to relaced Jean-Pier and Breno if they dont get resigned.

I think with O-line it's always best to use a high draft pick on your LT, and then end of the draft or undrafted on the rest. WR is the spot where you can to use high picks, of course QB as well. Since we don't need an LT or a QB, I think it's going to be 85% we pick a WR with our first selection. Unless there is another player they think so highly of, in which case they go with best player available.

plyka

Reaction score
Happypuppy":w9lnxn8a said:
I agree about Unger. He did not have a stellar game I saw all season. Perhaps he was playing games hurt a bit. Only the coaches know for sure. The ZBS that Cable likes seems to favor the use of athletic and big lineman. I think that's why Carp and McQ struggle.
The O line was the weak link I believe we all would agree.
I hope they take a hard look at performance and fix it

The Denver defensive line absolutely man handled him in the superbowl. He needed quite a bit of help with fat roast, as the guy was 5 yards in the backfield on every LYnch run.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Most of the OL issues stemmed from interior. That means Carp/McQuistan, Unger, and Sweezy. So claiming any of those isn't a problem is not looking at the OL in a clear light. Only one of those guys was or played at a Pro Bowl level in the past....Unger. So the other two provided Unger a little help and Unger is being bashed for poor play. Maybe he played poor because 1) he was playing hurt and 2) he had to compensate for the other two interior guys' inadequacies. Just because guys show flashes doesn't mean that they can't be upgraded by someone who will improve and is more consistent. The one area where depth is lacking is the OL. After 5 or so players, there is nothing. Not saying that they need a 1st or 2nd rounders but the OL does need to be addressed in the draft and FA.

j hawk

Reaction score
I rewatched Saints playoff game and to my eyes Bowie did very well run blocking and very good at pass pro. He keeps his head up and is a heat seeking misssle to the 2nd level. Carp has a tendency to lower his head and whif on his targets. I think we will be ok at guard, perhaps a RT in the draft?