QB Brett Hundley Traded To Seahawks

kidhawk

Reaction score
Just doesn’t make sense. If we traded for someone who could push Wilson or improve our odds of winning if Wilson gets hurt I’d be ok with it but this trade does absolutely nothing for me

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh, can't even sort of get worked up about a 6th round pick for a guy w/experience to back up Russ. The way this team trades in the draft, they'll get that pick back no problem.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Basically looks to me like they went and got a guy who's about Austin Davis level but with more mobility. Maybe just a better fit as backup to Russ?

King Dog

Reaction score
Lame. I'd rather just grab RGIII when he's cut. I hope it's not a 6th as is being reported.

Trrrroy

Reaction score
uncle fester":36w5n7l5 said:
Even though Davis wasn't the answer at backup, I can't get excited by this trade - and how does that work well for McGough?

Either they go with 3 QBs (unlikely) or McGough heads to the practice squad and then gets a better offer from another team?

I'm not saying McGough's starting caliber, but he has a very similar style to Wilson and has to be worth developing because of that, no?

I would be extremely surprised if Mcgough gets nabbed by another team. He's a 7th round rookie and it's not like he's been that impressive. He's shown flashes against backups, but the same can be said about most of the NFL's third string qb's.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
6th round picks are ostensibly worthless, and a 6th round pick in 2019 wasn't going to help this franchise anytime soon, if ever. For every 6th rounder that turns into Byron Maxwell, there are dozens who turn into Justin Senior. You can get a 6th rounder by trading down a few spots in the 3rd or 4th round, its the easiest transaction there is.

Hundley is a legitimate veteran backup QB who gained a lot of valuable experience last season, and has been said by Packers media to have looked much improved this pre-season. He's been schooled for 3 years by one of the best QB-development staffs in the NFL, and comes from a system with many of the same principles (play action, boots/waggles, etc.) as Schottenheimer's. He's also highly athletic, possesses every physical measurable you look for (incl. arm strength), and is capable of running any of the same plays that are designed to take advantage of Wilson's running ability. At 25, he still has upside, and long-term potential as the Hawks #2 QB if they like what they see in 2018 and come to agreement on an extension (he'll be a UFA). Most of all, he's far better-suited to getting the Hawks through (and winning) a game if Wilson were to go down than Davis or McGough would be. You could do a lot worse - a LOT worse - than Brett Hundley as your backup QB (and as collateral for a future 6th round pick).....and Seattle WOULD have, had they gone into the season with Davis or McGough. A need was filled here, at a virtually immaterial cost.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Don't understand why they just didn't wait a few more days, as he'd probably have been cut by the Packers anyways.
Probably traded to save money?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":qp3tomuo said:
6th round picks are ostensibly worthless, and a 6th round pick in 2019 wasn't going to help this franchise anytime soon, if ever. For every 6th rounder that turns into Byron Maxwell, there are dozens who turn into Justin Senior. You can get a 6th rounder by trading down a few spots in the 3rd or 4th round, its the easiest transaction there is.

Hundley is a legitimate veteran backup QB who gained a lot of valuable experience last season, and has been said by Packers media to have looked much improved this pre-season. He's been schooled for 3 years by one of the best QB-development staffs in the NFL, and comes from a system with many of the same principles (play action, boots/waggles, etc.) as Schottenheimer's. He's also highly athletic, possesses every physical measurable you look for (incl. arm strength), and is capable of running any of the same plays that are designed to take advantage of Wilson's running ability. At 25, he still has upside, and long-term potential as the Hawks #2 QB if they like what they see in 2018 and come to agreement on an extension (he'll be a UFA). Most of all, he's far better-suited to getting the Hawks through (and winning) a game if Wilson were to go down than Davis or McGough would be. You could do a lot worse - a LOT worse - than Brett Hundley as your backup QB (and as collateral for a future 6th round pick).....and Seattle WOULD have, had they gone into the season with Davis or McGough. A need was filled here, at a virtually immaterial cost.

Good points, NorthDallas40oz. I've gone back and forth on this one already. At first I was optimistic, then I thought it didn't make sense and was a waste of draft capital, but I'm back on the side of the fence that feels this is a decent little pick up.

As NorthDallas said, Hundley got a lot of experience last year stepping in trying to fill Rodgers' shoes, but I'm not saying he's a great player or anything like that. He ended up with a negative TD/INT ratio, but he also had three games where his passer rating was over 100. The three games over 100 were in the last five games of the season that he played. He faced a couple tough teams and played a few good defenses.

If the team feels like Hundley is a better fit that can limp this team along if RW goes down for some time, then I think it's a good trade. Both of our backups have looked awful. A late 6th rounder, which we'll likely get back next year, is peanuts to give up for someone that could be serviceable if need be.

Rat

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":3ldvuzq3 said:

If he was THAT promising, the Packers wouldn't have traded for his replacement in the offseason, and wouldn't be giving him up now for a 6th rounder. Rodgers IS that franchise and has suffered several injuries in recent years. You think they wouldn't love to have an experienced backup that they can rely on to step in and keep the ship afloat? It's not like we offered them a deal they couldn't refuse.

I don't care about the cost; a 6th is basically nothing (although I don't know who was going to outbid us if we offered a 7th), I just don't think he is any good. There will be comparable players getting cut this week.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":29ow50d4 said:
lol....a few people were saying McGough will a diamond in the rough....next Brady. Told them he would be cut.
Cut and signed to the practice squad I bet, which was planned all along.

TCS

Reaction score
Could be that Schneider is gambling a bit here. Some team will be in desperate need of a QB this season, at some point in time. Hundley has starting experience, so maybe Schneider is banking on this and thinks he can turn around and trade him later on for a higher draft pick? I'm just talking out of my "you know what", but food for thought. He can stash McG on the PS, and bring him up once/if Hundley is traded.

Go Hawks!

tcs

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Rat":kaa9gybd said:
NorthDallas40oz":kaa9gybd said:

If he was THAT promising, the Packers wouldn't have traded for his replacement in the offseason, and wouldn't be giving him up now for a 6th rounder. Rodgers IS that franchise and has suffered several injuries in recent years. You think they wouldn't love to have an experienced backup that they can rely on to step in and keep the ship afloat? It's not like we offered them a deal they couldn't refuse.

I don't care about the cost; a 6th is basically nothing (although I don't know who was going to outbid us if we offered a 7th), I just don't think he is any good. There will be comparable players getting cut this week.
Kizer is under team control for 2 more years than Hundley was, and is considered to have the higher ceiling, so that was an easy call for the Packers to make, esp. considering the low cost for which they acquired him.

Totally disagree that there will be comparable players available on the waiver wire or street, and the Hawks' place in the pecking order on the waiver wire wouldn't allow them to be the winning claim on anyone with Hundley's appeal.

And team's considered to be playoff-caliber (or close to it), such as the Hawks, always have to offer a pick a round higher than might be expected in order to get the deal done for them. Did anyone else offer GB more than a 7th? Not necessarily, but if it comes down to multiple offers of a 7th rounder from Seattle and, say, the Bears and Bucs, then those lesser teams are going to win out every time. The Hawks had to do the same thing to get Marcus Burley a few years ago. The difference between a 6th and 7th is even more insignificant than the value of the pick itself.

rjdriver

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3svyzzhv said:
Don't understand why they just didn't wait a few more days, as he'd probably have been cut by the Packers anyways.

Exactly what I was thinking. He was virtually a lock to be cut. Mine as well waste a sixth round pick somewhere else.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
rjdriver":22p8h69l said:
scutterhawk":22p8h69l said:

Exactly what I was thinking. He was virtually a lock to be cut. Mine as well waste a sixth round pick somewhere else.
No he wasn't. GB clearly had trade options available to them, and he never would have gotten to Seattle's place on the waiver wire pecking order. This is not Austin Davis, Brett Hundley has legitimate value in this league. Just because Hundley wasn't going to make the Packers team doesn't mean he was going to (or had to be) waived.

Rat

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":29bw2j1l said:
Kizer is under team control for 2 more years than Hundley was, and is considered to have the higher ceiling, so that was an easy call for the Packers to make, esp. considering the low cost for which they acquired him.

I dont think that matters. Aaron Rodgers turns 35 this season and the Packers don't have a huge window left to win in his prime. If they had a backup they've been developing behind him for three years, and they're comfortable with him being there, they wouldn't be giving him up for a 6th round pick. Rodgers insurance, even for just a year, should be worth way more to them than that.

Plus, Kizer is not some hot-shot sure-thing backup. He looked nowhere near ready for NFL action last year, and the team that had him chose to cut bait, and use the No. 1 overall pick on a QB this year, rather than having Kizer under team control for a few more years with a second-rounder salary. Seahawks fans especially know how valuable that is.

Hopefully Russ will stay healthy all year and it wont matter. If we're not fortunate enough to keep him upright for another 16 weeks, I saw nothing from Hundley that would lead me to believe he can at least not be a liability. He showed nothing resembling field vision.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
He played behind Aaron Rodgers and they studied film together.
We gave up a 6th round for a closer comp to Wilson who can be that study alongside him in the film room if we axe Davis.

D

DomeHawk

I didn't participate in the 2-QB poll because I thought BOTH of our current QB's were real liabilities and while this may not be the answer either, I do feel somewhat validated in my opinion.

Which means absolutely nothing, lol.